Canadian by-elections, 2017 (next event: Calgary-Lougheed, AB prov.: Dec 14) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:47:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2017 (next event: Calgary-Lougheed, AB prov.: Dec 14) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2017 (next event: Calgary-Lougheed, AB prov.: Dec 14)  (Read 66129 times)
Krago
« on: February 09, 2017, 03:50:22 PM »

Hatman, how would you conduct a public opinion poll for a race where there were 29 candidates on the ballot, like the Ward 42 by-election?
Krago
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 04:59:11 PM »

Hatman, how would you conduct a public opinion poll for a race where there were 29 candidates on the ballot, like the Ward 42 by-election?

Depends on the mode:
-Phone (interviewers wouldn't read the list, unless asked)
-Online (no problem, just list everyone)

Your big problem is if it's IVR, because you need to read the list (press '1' for X). I would try to identify who the main candidates are and have an 'other' option. Smiley

When I was IVR-polled for the Conservative leadership race a few weeks ago, the message read through all the names (... and press 1-4 for Brad Trost...).  It took such a long time, I couldn't imagine doubling the candidates.

By the way, if you want to remember the names of all 14 CPC leadership candidates, just use the mnemonic:  STOP ROBBOCALLS

(Damn you, Steven Blaney!)
Krago
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:37:00 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2017, 11:42:17 AM by Krago »

Quick-and-dirty Sault Ste. Marie by-election results map:

vs. 2014 General Election results map:

Krago
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »

further evidence that most of the vote switching in the Soo is anti-NDP. Reliably NDP west end went NDP, while the normally Liberal east end went Tory. 

Interestingly, the far west end (Ward 6) went PC. That's the ward that both the NDP and PC candidate represented on council.

Soo what?  Cheesy (sorry)

Any thoughts aboot the Point Douglas by-election?

I may or may not do a write up on it tomorrow.  But, it should be an easy NDP hold. Potentially a future Liberal target in the distant future, but they're too much in disarray on the provincial level.

Thanks.

I liked my joke about the Soo. I'm sure nobody has ever come up with that before!  Cheesy

oh wow, I hadn't even noticed!

Can't wait for your take on the 'Poe Lock'.
Krago
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »

I have none.  What is the Poe Lock?

(hey, I have personal ethnic licence ;-) )

As for the Soo, the far west is rural-dominated, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soo_Locks
Krago
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »

With the NDP way down in Quebec, liberals may have a chance for a pickup.

Tough call at this point. It's very pro-sovereignty area of the province, but it is also a riding that is not that committed to voting for pro-sovereignty parties.

- The Liberals have not won it since 1980, but a lot of ridings in Quebec had the distinction before 2015. Provincially, they hold the western half of the riding (Roberval), but that's only because it's the Premier's seat.
- This isn't exactly a traditional Conservative seat. They did do well in 2006, which helped them pick the seat up in a by-election in 2007. Provincially though, the CAQ/ADQ has no history in this part of Quebec.
- This could've been an NDP target once upon a time. The 2015 redistribution added Alma to the district, which was swept by the NDP in 2011 (and again in 2015!).
- The eastern half of this riding has been represented by the PQ since 1976.

The NDP still came in second with 28% vs Label's 33%; even then with the Liberal victory in 2015 they were 4th; I would think that the CPC, BQ, and NDP will want this seat and all three could have a shot. 
Polling is all over the place, two polls out have the NDP at 11%, the other at 20%... so the party is best to just ignore the polls and go after the seat, I think with a leadership race on, all 5 candidates showing up to help campaign can build more media cover for the NDP. I think the CPC or BQ would have to be favourites, but the NDP can be in this race I think.

The Liberals finished third in Lac-Saint-Jean in 2015.

CandidatePartyOccupationVotesVotes (%)
LEBEL, DenisCparliamentarian 
33.27% 
DALLAIRE, GisèleN.D.P.industrial psychologist 
28.46% 
SIMARD, SabinLibconsultant 
18.44% 
GAUDREAULT, SabinB.Q.retired 
18.37% 
REQUILÉ, LaurenceG.P.florist 
1.46% 
Krago
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »

Does anyone have the polling subdivision maps used in the Quebec provincial by-elections in Chauveau (2015-06-08) and St-Henri--Ste-Anne (2015-11-09)?

Many thanks.
Krago
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »

Outremont, 2006 general election

Liberal - red, BQ - purple, NDP - orange, Conservative - blue

Outremont, 2008 general election

Krago
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »

I take a personal interest in the goings-on of Louis-Hebert, since the man himself was my great (x12th?) grandfather.  Of course, he is also related to half of the province.

Given the lack of enthusiasm for the PLQ, does the NDPQ stand a chance of reaching double digits?  Or will they get a more fringe-y 1-2%?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies