What is your preference?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:04:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What is your preference?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: 50 day poll
NGC 6251

Species 8472

other answer

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: What is your preference?  (Read 669 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:30:53 AM »

NGC 6251, but I like both.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »

wtf
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »

In my opinion. Wow. It is the largest galaxy yet discovered. Forty five times larger than our own. It is 10 million light years wide and 340 million light years away. That means that it existed 340 million years ago. I think that it is one of the great discoveries in the universe.
It is not likely that I will be alive in 340 million years from now, but if we don't destroy all life on earth by then, there may be earthlings alive 680 million years from now, if not on Earth as colonists on other planets. There may not be any sentient life in the universe out there except the lives of earthlings, but some day homo sapiens can find a planet which could sustain human life. If "we" sent a message to this galaxy, and if there is sapient life there and they responded we would get the message 680 million years from now, not that I expect to exist then.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »

I support the peaceful exploration of space. To achieve that we need, of course, to learn to live in peace here on Earth, before we destroy ourselves. Climate change is also something which threatens us.

Once that is achieved (possible if not likely), we can begin to think about the question of whether homo sapiens can travel faster than the speed of light. Many think the answer is no.
To explore our own galaxy, as well as others, this may be necessary, if possible at all.

"You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:55:07 AM »

We have gone to the Moon. One small step, illustrating the possibility of living some where other than Earth. If we go back, and colonize the Moon. We have a chance to survive as a species given the possibilty that we could be destroyed one way or another here on our home, which we haven't taken very good care of.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »

I'm not sure the point, but I think the first one is a distant galaxy with odd features and the other is a "a dense genetic structure, with each cell containing more than a hundred times the genetic material of a human cell because of their triple-helix DNA structure" from the Star Trek universe.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »

I'm not sure the point, but I think the first one is a distant galaxy with odd features and the other is a "a dense genetic structure, with each cell containing more than a hundred times the genetic material of a human cell because of their triple-helix DNA structure" from the Star Trek universe.
Correct. I'll tell you the point. It is a contrast between actual science and science fiction. If you prefer science the first choice makes sense. If you prefer science fiction the second choice. I could have simply made those the two choices, but as you may have figured out, I'm a little quirky, most of you might prefer the word "strange" to "quirky". Why be normal?
If you prefer astrology, well, that is irrelevant.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:52:09 AM »

astrology is dumb and the fact that humans still pay any attention to it at all saddens me....even as a "I know it's not real, it's just fun" or whatever.  Women....sheesh....amIright?

I prefer real science to scifi.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »

astrology is dumb and the fact that humans still pay any attention to it at all saddens me....even as a "I know it's not real, it's just fun" or whatever.  Women....sheesh....amIright?

I pretty much agree with this. 99% I do think that the one thing about astrology that is interesting is the idea of the four elements representing personality types, although I wouldn't argue that astrology is literally true. I do think that there are personality types (introvert vs extravert being the most obvious), but not that they do not corellate with astrology. Astrology is too "fixed" as are "personality types". An extravert over time can become introverted and vica versa.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I agree but there is some overlap. Also, many people are interested in both, usually preferring one to the other.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 08:26:53 PM »

Correct. I'll tell you the point. It is a contrast between actual science and science fiction. If you prefer science the first choice makes sense. If you prefer science fiction the second choice. I could have simply made those the two choices, but as you may have figured out, I'm a little quirky, most of you might prefer the word "strange" to "quirky". Why be normal?
If you prefer astrology, well, that is irrelevant.

Ah. I prefer the real galaxy over the bizarre sci-fi monster. While I do enjoy sci-fi, I lean somewhat towards the harder stuff.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies