Why the pessimism about Donald Trump here? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:40:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why the pessimism about Donald Trump here? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why the pessimism about Donald Trump here?  (Read 2262 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« on: January 04, 2017, 12:46:48 PM »

On my nicer days, I'm willing to give Trump a chance. I will never, however, legitimize his total bullchit campaign and all the absolute garbage he spewed and his pigish personality. As a human being he is the King of Deplorables.

I'm willing to look past my dislike and utter personal disgust for him if he does some good things for the American people, and not just his billionaire buddies.

But if he guts Obamacare first without replacing it with something better, I'll have a real hard time believing he and his party are even worthy of being called "deplorables."
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »

I honestly don't really understand the point of this thread. Even the most delusional democratic hacks on this forum have recognised that Hillary was a terrible candidate whatever her merits as a potential President. You seem to be arguing against a straw man in that regards. However, she is now irrelevant. From now on, whatever she may or may not have done only exists as a hypothetical, so we can fully start to pick apart what Trump plans for his time in office. So far, his actions have confirmed he is a moronic hack, a slave to the most basal of republican orthodoxy, borderline incoherent in his messaging and outright crooked in his deals. The fact that Hillart said calllous stuff occasionally and was lax with her email security is now by the by.

That is true, but the main point of this thread was to examine attitudes towards Trump. And the fact is that everyone here, who has commented here, is united in opposition to Trump. What gives? I would give the man a chance. What would you say if Trump succeeded, and was reelected to a second term?

In my mind, the majority of the electorate voted for change, and Hillary Clinton didn't embody that. Political dynasty was rejected.

I'm giving the man a chance. I even started a thread about it. But that doesn't mean that he isn't all the negative things people said of him because he is. And it doesn't mean we are supposed to forget what a deplorable human being he is.

And by the way, I thought this was a thread about Trump, not Hillary. What's with all the Hillary bashing? She is history.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »

Good advice, except it's still fun to trash-talk our president-elect and let out our frustrations verbally instead of going out and burning down a building, say....
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:48:51 AM »

Personally, I am glad that Trump defeated Clinton. In my view, despite his comments and his off-handed behavior, I think it was better for us that Trump won, rather than her. Hillary Clinton would have represented the continuation of the status quo. She would have been dogged by more scandals, and that would have been horrendous for the United States. Moreover, her behavior during her husband's administration, her time as Senator, and as Sec. of State, suggests that she would have been out for herself.

But here, I haven't seen much discussion of these facets of her character.

For one, it's now irrelevant.

For another, yes, she had flaws. Especially as a campaigner. But she had a long history as an effective establishment technocrat bureaucrat.

As someone opposed to the status quo, the choice between Clinton and Trump seemed to be the choice between bus drivers. The bus is heading to a place I don't really want to go. Clinton would have kept going the same (wrong) direction. Sure, she might have pocketed an extra 5 cents per ticket, or delayed some non-critical maintenance. But she also would have kept the passenger compartment a civilized place. And she would have kept the bus on the road, in its lane. It might even have been a pleasant drive.

Trump, by comparison, is a drunk driver waving a gun with an unknown number of bullets. Some passengers wonder if he's got a bomb vest under his jacket. He raves at other passengers that they should throw people off the bus. He's put the pedal to the floor, and forget the staying in the right lane, we'll be lucky to stay on the road. There are noises coming from under the hood, and he tells everyone to ignore them, it'll be fine. He says the same thing about the cop cars outside, and threatens to shoot anyone who points out that he's wearing a hat that has "State Mental Hospital" printed on it instead of "Bus Driver". Then he says he's the best bus driver ever, in a slurred voice.

That's pretty dang good!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies