Why the pessimism about Donald Trump here? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:10:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why the pessimism about Donald Trump here? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why the pessimism about Donald Trump here?  (Read 2295 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: January 04, 2017, 01:38:32 PM »
« edited: January 04, 2017, 01:40:09 PM by Beet »

The election result was a disaster. Put aside all policy, partisanship, or politics.

A man who lacked common decency, who acted like a bully, who repeatedly exploited prejudice, and who was accused by some 15 women of sexual assault, was elected over one of the most qualified candidates in modern history, who would have been the first woman president, who was running on a comprehensive program of jobs and inclusiveness. What does this say to our kids? We've spent the last 10 years teaching them to stand up to bullies, only to elect one. We teach our kids good manners and to treat people with respect, only to elevate a person who doesn't do that to the highest level. I know some people will say "polite people have messed up", but respect for each other is a fundamental part of our society as well. We teach our girls that they can do anything if they work hard, yet humiliated an intelligent woman who worked extremely hard and never gave up, sending the message that no, hard work doesn't pay off. Instead we've taught them that men can do anything to their bodies and get away with it. We teach our kids not to engage in racism only to make a person who does this the most powerful person in the world. What is open to all to see, is that empathy, compassion, respect, hard work, policy knowledge and tolerance do not work, whereas insults, bullying, disregard for the truth, gaudy self-promotion, fear mongering and race baiting do work. I truly believe that 70 years worth of damage has done to our society, due to the impact this has on the current generation of children and young adults. They have learned all the wrong lessons and these wrong lessons will stay with them to varying degrees their entire lives. We will never know the full extent of the damage but we will be paying for it for the rest of our lives.

As for Trump since the election / going forward, I cannot say. It is too early to tell what his presidency will be like. It's my genuine hope that people will look back at him as a president who oversaw peace and prosperity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies