Cruz, Heller, Rubio: move embassy to Jerusalem or we'll cut diplomatic security
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:10:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cruz, Heller, Rubio: move embassy to Jerusalem or we'll cut diplomatic security
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cruz, Heller, Rubio: move embassy to Jerusalem or we'll cut diplomatic security  (Read 2360 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:55:48 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_586d61f8e4b0b949393baead

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 08:57:29 PM »

Is it necessary to threaten? Wouldn't Trump do this anyway?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »

These dopes do more for Israel then they do for the US

I'll never understand the Israel fetishism in American politics.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 09:36:27 PM »

Lingering guilt, perhaps?  It's like we're overcompensating for our inaction in preventing the Holocaust.  So we're letting Israel determine our foreign policy.   
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2017, 09:43:48 PM by Tintrlvr »

Lingering guilt, perhaps?  It's like we're overcompensating for our inaction in preventing the Holocaust.  So we're letting Israel determine our foreign policy.  

This is obviously not what it is. It's a mix of genuine Jewish-American support for Israel and evangelical Christian apocalypse fetishism. Those politicians who fall into neither group don't care unless and until they are paid to do so (which many are, as the two aforementioned lobby groups are quite deep-pocketed and influential), and, similarly, voters who fall into neither group don't care unless and until they are told to do so by their politicians.
JJC

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »

Lingering guilt, perhaps?  It's like we're overcompensating for our inaction in preventing the Holocaust.  So we're letting Israel determine our foreign policy.   

It's almost like antisemitism is still one of the most prevalent prejudices in the world today and that many, many nations around the world - most of them right next door to Israel - wants to exterminate Jews from existence.

Again, somebody please explain to me why in the effing hell we are helping Iran get nukes (and giving them billions to pay for it)? This is the world's largest sponsor of terrorism - a country that routinely has government mandated rallies chanting 'death to america/israel'.

Yeah, there's no risk of nuclear proliferation among terrorists there. Israel is clearly overreacting...
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »

It's almost like antisemitism is still one of the most prevalent prejudices in the world today and that many, many nations around the world - most of them right next door to Israel - wants to exterminate Jews from existence.

Again, somebody please explain to me why in the effing hell we are helping Iran get nukes (and giving them billions to pay for it)? This is the world's largest sponsor of terrorism - a country that routinely has government mandated rallies chanting 'death to america/israel'.

Yeah, there's no risk of nuclear proliferation among terrorists there. Israel is clearly overreacting...

Yeah, except that the Iran Nuclear Deal has done more to limit Iran's chances of acquiring a nuclear weapon than any sanctions... Not to mention the money was released to them and rightfuly so, considering it was their money. I won't deny the Iranian government is awful, but it's not a serious threat to American interests. Just as blindly defending Israel isn't in American interests.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »

Lingering guilt, perhaps?  It's like we're overcompensating for our inaction in preventing the Holocaust.  So we're letting Israel determine our foreign policy.  

I was with you until you repeated that hackish talking point. The fact is that only 15 percent of Muslims worldwide are shiite, leaving Iran with little to work with. Saudi money on the other hand penetrates a wide array of western mosques...
JJC

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 10:10:45 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2017, 10:12:32 PM by JJC »

Yeah, except that the Iran Nuclear Deal has done more to limit Iran's chances of acquiring a nuclear weapon than any sanctions...
Not to mention the money was released to them and rightfuly so, considering it was their money. I won't deny the Iranian government is awful, but it's not a serious threat to American interests. Just as blindly defending Israel isn't in American interests.

This was the same argument Clinton made about North Korea getting nukes.

Iran wants nukes. Period. And they're probably going to get it now that the Iran deal has made it exceptionally easier for them. I don't think there is anyone in the world who believes that Iran is further away from getting nukes because of this stupid deal.

And Israel is our quintessential alley in the middle East and our most useful partner in fighting Islamic terrorism. They are the most like us, and the lone nation of sanity and stability in a region that has been steeped in chaos for 1500 years.

So yes, a sworn enemy to both the US and Israel - and the largest state sponsor of terrorism - acquiring nukes is an immense threat to both our nation's security. For Israel, it is literally a threat to their right to exist.

'Death to America. Death to Israel' they chant. You don't think they mean this?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 10:16:48 PM »

Yeah, except that the Iran Nuclear Deal has done more to limit Iran's chances of acquiring a nuclear weapon than any sanctions...
Not to mention the money was released to them and rightfuly so, considering it was their money. I won't deny the Iranian government is awful, but it's not a serious threat to American interests. Just as blindly defending Israel isn't in American interests.

Iran wants nukes. Period. And they're probably going to get it now that the Iran deal has made it exceptionally easier for them. I don't think there is anyone in the world who believes that Iran is further away from getting nukes because of this stupid deal.

And Israel is our quintessential alley in the middle East and our most useful partner in fighting Islamic terrorism. They are the most like us, and the lone nation of sanity and stability in a region that has been steeped in chaos for 1500 years.

So yes, a sworn enemy to both the US and Israel - and the largest state sponsor of terrorism - acquiring nukes is an immense threat to both our nation's security. For Israel, it is literally a threat to their right to exist.

I think this neither describes Israel OR the United States.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 10:27:55 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2017, 10:44:15 PM by SunriseAroundTheWorld »

Israel has never and will never determine American foreign policy. To imply so is ridiculous and shows the ignorance of many on the U.S. - Israel Relationship.

Eisenhower took the side of Soviet aligned Egypt over Israel, the UK and France during the Suez Canal Crisis
Until the 1960's, the U.S. never provided weapons to Israel (IDR who provided the weapons, JFK or LBJ, but one of them did)
JFK constantly hounded Israel on its nuclear program and did everything he could to disrupt their plans and progress.
Until the 1980's, the U.S. never had deep and intimate military and defense contacts w/ Israel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Cooperation_Agreement and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Political_Military_Group)
To this day, the U.S. has engaged in foreign policy initiatives that Israel does not support.
- #1: Reagan Selling AWACS to Saudi Arabia; AIPAC opposed this; Israel opposed this.
- #2: Reagan Admin opposing Israel's decision to destroy the Iraqi Nuclear Reactor in the 1980's and to respond to Libyan terror attacks in the 1980's.
- #3: Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard got one of the longest sentences of any spy ever caught on American soil - yes, even over soviet spies. Was not released until 2015 and even now he can't ever go to Israel.
- #4: The U.S. forcing Israel not to attack Iraq during the Gulf War after Hussein started launching scud missiles into Israel
- #5: George H.W. Bush and Barack Obama loudly and publicly opposed Israel's settlement activity.
- #6: Barack Obama and the P5+1 signed a (horrible) Iran Nuclear Deal despite Israel's constant and loud protests against it.

Also, until Bill Clinton, there was a dominant sphere of foreign policy thought that was super critical of Israel and super cozy towards Arabist political thought and interests. It has returned, somewhat, under Obama, but I wouldn't call his policy Arabist. His policies have devastated the Arab world equally as much as Israel.

Also, for those of you who think Arabist is a "derogatory term", here's what I mean by Arabist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabist_(political)

So, someone please explain to me, how does Israel "run our foreign policy"?

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:28:30 PM »

The hardliners in Iran naturally mean what they say, of course.  But it is a different story with Iranian youth.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 10:32:37 PM »

I appreciate the sentiment, but over the top and risky. I don't want embassy security endangered in my name.

Let Trump actually move the embassy, and start working on crippling the actual culprit here - the United Nations.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »

I was with you until you repeated that hackish talking point. The fact is that only 15 percent of Muslims worldwide are shiite, leaving Iran with little to work with. Saudi money on the other hand penetrates a wide array of western mosques...

What are you babbling about? This is literally one of the most inane and ridiculous comments I have ever seen on here. What do demographics have to do with the fact that Iran literally has carried out terrorist attacks via Hezbollah in multiple continents?

https://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/crt/2014/239410.htm (U.S. State Department)

IRAN

Designated as a State Sponsor of Terrorism in 1984, Iran continued its terrorist-related activity in 2014, including support for Palestinian terrorist groups in Gaza, Lebanese Hizballah, and various groups in Iraq and throughout the Middle East. This year, Iran increased its assistance to Iraqi Shia militias, one of which is a designated Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO), in response to the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) incursion into Iraq, and has continued to support other militia groups in the region. Iran also attempted to smuggle weapons to Palestinian terrorist groups in Gaza. While its main effort focused on supporting goals in the Middle East, particularly in Syria, Iran and its proxies also continued subtle efforts at growing influence elsewhere including in Africa, Asia, and, to a lesser extent, Latin America. Iran used the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF) to implement foreign policy goals, provide cover for intelligence operations, and create instability in the Middle East. The IRGC-QF* is the regime’s primary mechanism for cultivating and supporting terrorists abroad.

* Revolutionary Guards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_attack_on_Israeli_embassy_in_Buenos_Aires
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMIA_bombing

Iran's finger-prints are all over both of those Hezbollah-linked attacks in Argentina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_attacks_on_Israeli_diplomats

Indian intell and counter-terrorism experts blamed Iran for this attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khobar_Towers_bombing

Hezbollah blamed for this attack that killed 19 American Air Force personnel.

I can go on and on and on about Iran's sponsorship of terrorism.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 10:42:20 PM »

Heller is really fighting for that Sheldon Adelson cash - impressed!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2017, 10:55:11 PM by DavidB. »

Great news! After eight years of outright terrible foreign policy, Republicans are going to make the U.S.-Israel relationship Great Again.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 11:16:36 PM »

He already had it. He beat Adelson's arch rival, Shelley Berkeley in 2012.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »

He already had it. He beat Adelson's arch rival, Shelley Berkeley in 2012.

Not just a matter of getting Adelson's cash, but getting him to dig in even deeper - I doubt Berkley is going to run in 2018.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »

Anything to appease master Sheldon Adelson and the Zionist lobby. How sad!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »

Sheldon Adelson has bought all these hacks in the Republican party. This is illegal by all international & UN standards. They can't blackmail their way to anything.

About Iran, The funny thing is Iran had a secular democratic progressive very good president in Mossadegh & there was no problem with the US when CIA with UK decided to overthrow him for no good reason, a democratic president who dared to nationalize Iran's oil reserves.

In comes Shah, a secular but brutal dictator who was insanely lavish & corrupt, banned protests, condemned opposition, jailed politicians, killed opposition leaders. And they you have Khommeini & the Iran revolution as a result to Shah.

Iran has some form of democracy (however messed up it is), women have some rights (even Women entrepreneurs) compared to Saudi Arabia. And  the current President Hassan Rouhani is considered a moderate who was a diplomat, he has appointed women in foreign ministry positions, he is a centrist compared to Khommeini & the others.

People should be happy if guys like Rouhani take more control & Khommeini weakens which can only happen if you start to engage with Iran (doesn't mean you compromise)
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 05:15:06 PM »

Dont you think its a tad bit hypocritical and ironic that you bemoan antisemitism while simultaneously having a picture of noted antisemite Marion Le Pen?
EnglishPete

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »

Israel has never and will never determine American foreign policy. To imply so is ridiculous and shows the ignorance of many on the U.S. - Israel Relationship.

Eisenhower took the side of Soviet aligned Egypt over Israel, the UK and France during the Suez Canal Crisis
Until the 1960's, the U.S. never provided weapons to Israel (IDR who provided the weapons, JFK or LBJ, but one of them did)
JFK constantly hounded Israel on its nuclear program and did everything he could to disrupt their plans and progress.
Until the 1980's, the U.S. never had deep and intimate military and defense contacts w/ Israel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Cooperation_Agreement and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Political_Military_Group)
To this day, the U.S. has engaged in foreign policy initiatives that Israel does not support.
- #1: Reagan Selling AWACS to Saudi Arabia; AIPAC opposed this; Israel opposed this.
- #2: Reagan Admin opposing Israel's decision to destroy the Iraqi Nuclear Reactor in the 1980's and to respond to Libyan terror attacks in the 1980's.
- #3: Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard got one of the longest sentences of any spy ever caught on American soil - yes, even over soviet spies. Was not released until 2015 and even now he can't ever go to Israel.
- #4: The U.S. forcing Israel not to attack Iraq during the Gulf War after Hussein started launching scud missiles into Israel
- #5: George H.W. Bush and Barack Obama loudly and publicly opposed Israel's settlement activity.
- #6: Barack Obama and the P5+1 signed a (horrible) Iran Nuclear Deal despite Israel's constant and loud protests against it.

Also, until Bill Clinton, there was a dominant sphere of foreign policy thought that was super critical of Israel and super cozy towards Arabist political thought and interests. It has returned, somewhat, under Obama, but I wouldn't call his policy Arabist. His policies have devastated the Arab world equally as much as Israel.

Also, for those of you who think Arabist is a "derogatory term", here's what I mean by Arabist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabist_(political)

So, someone please explain to me, how does Israel "run our foreign policy"?
And lets not forget what happened in 1982. Israel was on the verge of eliminating the PLO in Beirut. The PLO managed to get away to Tunis. They managed this long journey because they had a lift from the US Navy .  US Presidents have been stabbing Israel in the back for a long time. Its a good thing for Israel that it at least has some friends in Congress.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »

Im fine with moving the embassy ... but the security of our diplomats everywhere should not be used as leverage in deciding where to put a building in 1 country.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 10:40:50 PM »

And lets not forget what happened in 1982. Israel was on the verge of eliminating the PLO in Beirut. The PLO managed to get away to Tunis. They managed this long journey because they had a lift from the US Navy .  US Presidents have been stabbing Israel in the back for a long time. Its a good thing for Israel that it at least has some friends in Congress.

I can't imagine why the US Navy might be antagonistic to Israel.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies