Macy's shutting down 68 stores
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:00:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Macy's shutting down 68 stores
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Macy's shutting down 68 stores  (Read 653 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2017, 07:11:27 PM »

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/816790838059606016

Thanks, Trump!

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »

I knew it! He's going to fire all of us!
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 07:13:03 PM »

Will Donald take credit for this one?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »

My god a president elect happy his citizens are going out of work because of a beef with the company
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:11:39 AM »

Very proud to be a part of this boycott of my formerly favorite retailer! Great honer to be a part of #TeamTrump!

Glad I got rid of my shares with perfect timing too Smiley Thanks Trump! I can't stop winning because of you.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »

Macy's stores were shutting down long before Trump's tweet.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »

Wonder if he'll take credit when Sears/Kmart finally bites the dust.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »

These big retailers really are struggling. In the time I lived in Spokane the JC penney and Macy's downtown closed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »

Look at you all. First we were told "big box" stores destroyed downtown. Now they're suddenly the cornerstone of an economy we'd all been told was rife with wasteful consumerism.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 12:31:19 PM »

If I never have to see either of those stores ever again, this whole presidency will be worth it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »

He only "takes credit" for things he thinks are positive. Negatives (from his perspective) are always someone else's fault. No idea how he'll see this:

"List of 150 Kmart and Sears stores set to close"
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/05/sears-kmart-stores-closing/96195504/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I've said it before. If he's not very careful, President Pussygrabber is going to be reigning over an epic economic collapse. It's going to make his tweets about winning very, very much funnier.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »

This is very unfortunate for the workers at these stores who'll be facing layoffs, just as it's disappointing to see our President-elect gloating about a company's poor market performance and the loss of jobs associated therewith. However, I'm quite glad, on principle, to see another chain store bite the dust. Although I doubt this is due to competition from a growth of local retailers, but rather the changing dynamic of the retail market which is reorienting itself to a growth in online purchases.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 01:19:58 PM »

This is very unfortunate for the workers at these stores who'll be facing layoffs, just as it's disappointing to see our President-elect gloating about a company's poor market performance and the loss of jobs associated therewith. However, I'm quite glad, on principle, to see another chain store bite the dust. Although I doubt this is due to competition from a growth of local retailers, but rather the changing dynamic of the retail market which is reorienting itself to a growth in online purchases.
You're basically celebrating the demise of chains like Macy's as they are replaced by Amazon.

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »

You're basically celebrating the demise of chains like Macy's as they are replaced by Amazon.

No, I'm not. Read my post again. I specifically said that I'm disappointed that the demise of Macy's is not due to the growth of local stores, but rather online retailers. But, I'm also glad to see Macy's fall on the principle of seeing chain stores decline. Just because I'm glad to see Macy's demise, doesn't mean I'm celebrating its replacement by an even more monopolistic force. I'd like to see an enormous growth of online retail competition and the decline of Amazon as well.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »

K-Mart does not have better merchandise or a price advantage over Wal*Mart.

The traditional department store was in trouble when its average customer a few years back was 59 years old. I doubt that that has improved.

Sears selling the Craftsman brand -- an indication of deep trouble. That was its biggest asset as a merchant, and all that made Sears distinct in retailing.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 02:13:10 PM »

If I never have to see either of those stores ever again, this whole presidency will be worth it.

I liked Kmart because it was the only retailer around here that wasn't the two evil empires: Wal-Mart and Target.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »

I liked Kmart because it was the only retailer around here that wasn't the two evil empires: Wal-Mart and Target.

There will be Family Dollar and Dollar General, which have smaller stores with narrower aisles... and lower-end merchandise.  Michigan of course has Meijer... as a general pattern I find that as Meijer moves in, the K-Mart folds.

K-Mart has lots of forty-year-old, decrepit stores.... and not enough revenue to replace those decrepit stores. Those old K-Mart stores are depressing places.   
BoAtlantis

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 02:29:53 PM »

I'd consider going to Macy's if their prices after discount were still not at a premium level.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 02:39:24 PM »

Macy's charges designer prices for their in house labels, which is not a winning strategy in malls where they are competing with JCPenney. There is also the fact that you have stores like Burlington, Marshalls and Ross sometimes only blocks away selling actual designer items at huge discounts.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 04:10:35 PM »

People cheering the loss of jobs is disturbing, but as others said, a lot of these retailers had already been struggling before Trump said anything.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 10:11:06 PM »

Sears selling the Craftsman brand -- an indication of deep trouble. That was its biggest asset as a merchant, and all that made Sears distinct in retailing.

The guy who bought Sears and K-Mart was looking mainly to flip their real estate and other assets, so I'm only surprised it took this long.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies