Macy's shutting down 68 stores (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:08:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Macy's shutting down 68 stores (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Macy's shutting down 68 stores  (Read 688 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 05, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »

This is very unfortunate for the workers at these stores who'll be facing layoffs, just as it's disappointing to see our President-elect gloating about a company's poor market performance and the loss of jobs associated therewith. However, I'm quite glad, on principle, to see another chain store bite the dust. Although I doubt this is due to competition from a growth of local retailers, but rather the changing dynamic of the retail market which is reorienting itself to a growth in online purchases.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »

This is very unfortunate for the workers at these stores who'll be facing layoffs, just as it's disappointing to see our President-elect gloating about a company's poor market performance and the loss of jobs associated therewith. However, I'm quite glad, on principle, to see another chain store bite the dust. Although I doubt this is due to competition from a growth of local retailers, but rather the changing dynamic of the retail market which is reorienting itself to a growth in online purchases.
You're basically celebrating the demise of chains like Macy's as they are replaced by Amazon.

No, I'm not. Read my post again. I specifically said that I'm disappointed that the demise of Macy's is not due to the growth of local stores, but rather online retailers. But, I'm also glad to see Macy's fall on the principle of seeing chain stores decline. Just because I'm glad to see Macy's demise, doesn't mean I'm celebrating its replacement by an even more monopolistic force. I'd like to see an enormous growth of online retail competition and the decline of Amazon as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies