VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:34:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 160894 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 11:58:19 PM »

Perriello was one of the few Democrats that went down actually fighting in 2010 and never hid his support for President Obama. For that reason alone he has my support.

People will say "That was dumb of him because he ended up losing". But Glenn Nye tried the exact opposite strategy in a more D-friendly district than Perriello's, and got absolutely crushed while Perriello lost by about 3 points.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 12:04:32 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ugh.

Win this, Perriello!
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 12:06:24 AM »

Periello voted for the Stupak amendment and was endorsed by the NRA, I don't think he will be successful in outflanking Northam on the left. Women's group and gun control orgs will obviously line up behind Ralph.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 12:25:55 AM »

Glad to see that this won't just be a coronation for Northam, and I will be hoping for Perriello, though I expect Northam to win. Still, it'll be good for Northam to prove himself in a primary first, before going up in a general election.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 01:00:01 AM »

Perriello was one of the few Democrats that went down actually fighting in 2010 and never hid his support for President Obama. For that reason alone he has my support.

Perriello was brave to do that, I remember how everyone else was running away from Obama that year. I've wondered why he hasn't run for anything else, glad to see he's coming back. This is great news! Perriello 2017.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 01:15:13 AM »

Perriello was brave to do that, I remember how everyone else was running away from Obama that year. I've wondered why he hasn't run for anything else, glad to see he's coming back. This is great news! Perriello 2017.

It's not like he vanished off the face of the Earth. He ran CPAC for a while, and replaced Russ Feingold as an envoy to the Congo.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 01:42:07 AM »

Good. A bitter democratic primary can only help Gillespie.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 02:17:44 AM »

Good. A bitter democratic primary can only help Gillespie.

Who says it will be bitter? Also, Trump won probably the most bitter primary of all time, and then won the general in a major upset.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 03:05:07 AM »

I first heard about Perriello on the candidate confessional podcast; and he really stood out on there, for the fact that he ran a very principled, and worthy campaign; even thought he lost it's better to lose that way rather than making a complete fool of yourself trying to run away from every position you've held.
arjavrawal
Rookie
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 03:56:48 AM »

Hey, anyone remember what happened to the LAST guy who was envoy to the Congo? Ya know, BEFORE Perriello? He came back to run statewide...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 07:58:55 AM »

He's in. https://twitter.com/tomperriello/status/816987577676922880
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »

Northam aligns more with my own views but Perriello has more long term upside, IMO. Also - it's not like Perriello is some progressive gadfly who can't win outside of a liberal enclave. The guy won a very conservative downstate district and narrowly lost in 2010. He had an A from the NRA after all.

Honestly both these candidates would be good for talking to non base voters. It's just a question of whether rural voters or Hampton Roads voters are more important
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »

Ugh. I like Perriello, but Northam has my complete support. I have met Northam multiple times, and he is going to be a great governor. Perriello should most definitely run in 2021 or run for Congress again.

The idea that he is a progressive hero is pretty ridiculous. He has been a great advocate for wonderful programs like ACA and the Stimulus which led to him losing his re-election. But just because of that doesn't mean this race will be one between a Sanders and a Webb. They are really not that dissimilar.

Northam will win this, but I do not under-estimate that Perriello will be a strong challenger.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »

Periello voted for the Stupak amendment and was endorsed by the NRA, I don't think he will be successful in outflanking Northam on the left. Women's group and gun control orgs will obviously line up behind Ralph.

Virginia is a pretty centrist/center-right state, so if you are a progressive, be prepared to be disappointed.

Remember, one of our Senators is Mark Warner. Virginia is nowhere near as progressive as Maryland.

Of course, as a centrist, I have no issue with this. Tongue 
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 11:19:16 AM »

Nice to see a contested D primary. There goes the Democrats' cleared field advantage. I still think the Democrats are favored to hold this one, though.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »

Go Perriello! I'm hoping for an upset here in the Dem primary, and it'd be great to see "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" Ralph Northam go down.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »

Nice to see a contested D primary. There goes the Democrats' cleared field advantage. I still think the Democrats are favored to hold this one, though.

Agreed. Republicans winning VA would be quite an upset, to say the least. Lean/Likely D.

An upset from our perspective, sure. But for all we know the Republican could have a solid polling lead in late October.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 12:53:50 PM »

If Perriello wins the governor race this year then I can honestly see his name in the 2020 race. I can't say the same for Northam.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 01:59:10 PM »

Go Perriello! I'm hoping for an upset here in the Dem primary, and it'd be great to see "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" Ralph Northam go down.
What kind of fiscal conservative is Ralph Northam? Is he really that conservative on fiscal issues, or is he just conservative by Democratic standards? I'd assume the latter.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »

What kind of fiscal conservative is Ralph Northam? Is he really that conservative on fiscal issues, or is he just conservative by Democratic standards? I'd assume the latter.

Fiscal conservative is a meaningless buzzword that doesn't count for anything, so it doesn't really matter.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »

I like Ralph Northam and Tom Perriello. Both would be good candidates. Northam would be a good Cabinet secretary in a future Democratic administration.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »

I hate the term "fiscal conservative" in general: It's so vague.

I just assume that Northam is a conservative democrat.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2017, 05:29:26 PM »

I feel like being anti-choice outside of the deep South is a non starter in most Dem primaries, it is litmus test for a lot of people. Beyond voting for ACA & Cap & trade I am not really not sure what makes Perriello some sort of progressive champion akin to Bernie.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 05:38:30 PM »

I've always liked Perriello, but I'll be volunteering for Northam. 

Change your avatar then.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2017, 05:44:45 PM »

I've always liked Perriello, but I'll be volunteering for Northam. 

Change your avatar then.

To what? Miles is a real LA Dem. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies