VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:08:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 159859 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: May 13, 2017, 04:21:51 PM »

...and a whopping 6 states have Democratic trifectas in the whole country.

Perhaps it would help if leftists decided to vote in off-year elections. I also thought we were talking about Virginia here.

Hence my earlier point about why moving to the center depresses leftist turnout

Not in Virginia

Says who? When Democrats say things like this, they are only parroting the Republican narrative that Democrats have to move to the center to win.

In the 2013 Virginia Gubernatorial election...turnout was only 43%...That's alot of unmotivated voters.

We picked up the Governorship, Lieutenant Governorship, and AG's office in 2013.  Sounds like a pretty good outcome to me Tongue  I generally want the most liberal Democrat who can win, that's part of why I'm a Perriello supporter.  However, the idea that the answer to the party's woes is some sort of tea-party-esque ideological purity crusade is ridiculous.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #326 on: May 13, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »

I am really getting just depressed at the fact that many, I won't even say Perriello supporters, as it's really not him they are supporting, it's the downfall of the supposed "Centrist Democrats".

Is this really how we move forward?

Perriello, along with some of his supporters, have done a great job of helping push the VA Dems, and Northam in particular down the path of futhered progressivism that can now be achieved. But the thing that does annoy me is those who will not be impacted by this election, nor have any context of what is happening, bashing and denigrating many folks who will be required to win here.

I support Northam, because I think he has the experience and know-how of VA Politics to move this state forward. Does that mean I should attack Perriello as a woman-hating, pro-mass murder, evil creature? Of course not. His positions were his positions, and to be a politician, your positions will change and as a voter, you have to accept that.

Northam supports a $15 Minimum Wage, Free 2-year College Tuition with apprenticeship, Medicaid Expansion, and so many other supposedly solely "progressive" ideals. There is almost NO difference on policy between the candidates, despite the centrist vs. real-left, the media and some on here seem to believe.

I mean, I won't ask for the "can't we all just get along", but at least can we stop vilifying two fine candidates for the Virginia Governorship?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #327 on: May 13, 2017, 05:38:12 PM »

I'm generally in agreement with "the centrist Dem method has failed", but you have to pick your battles, and Virginia is a state where muh centrist Dems have been successful. Maybe in a pretty unequal way, considering the top offices are controlled by Dems but the legislature and congress are controlled overwhelmingly by Republicans.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #328 on: May 13, 2017, 10:23:20 PM »

I am really getting just depressed at the fact that many, I won't even say Perriello supporters, as it's really not him they are supporting, it's the downfall of the supposed "Centrist Democrats".

Perriello, along with some of his supporters, have done a great job of helping push the VA Dems, and Northam in particular down the path of futhered progressivism that can now be achieved. But the thing that does annoy me is those who will not be impacted by this election, nor have any context of what is happening, bashing and denigrating many folks who will be required to win here.

I support Northam, because I think he has the experience and know-how of VA Politics to move this state forward. Does that mean I should attack Perriello as a woman-hating, pro-mass murder, evil creature? Of course not. His positions were his positions, and to be a politician, your positions will change and as a voter, you have to accept that.

Northam supports a $15 Minimum Wage, Free 2-year College Tuition with apprenticeship, Medicaid Expansion, and so many other supposedly solely "progressive" ideals. There is almost NO difference on policy between the candidates, despite the centrist vs. real-left, the media and some on here seem to believe.

I mean, I won't ask for the "can't we all just get along", but at least can we stop vilifying two fine candidates for the Virginia Governorship?

I'm not a Democrat, but I have noticed that the VA Democratic primaries have been pretty bitter.

And the bitterness hasn't come from the candidates themselves, its come from their fans who are having slapfights over who is the "true progressive".
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #329 on: May 13, 2017, 10:59:56 PM »

I'm not a Democrat, but I have noticed that the VA Democratic primaries have been pretty bitter.

And the bitterness hasn't come from the candidates themselves, its come from their fans who are having slapfights over who is the "true progressive".

It appears to be more bitter online, haven't really seen much animosity between the two candidates.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2017, 12:04:35 AM »

Perriello and Northam have been remarkably civil for a very contested primary, and I think it's a testament to how good a guys they are. Truthfully, despite Northam's previous and present fiscal views, I think he would be a good Governor of Virginia. and I'm sure many Northam people think the same of Perriello. I think Perriello would be a better Governor for a few reasons but I'm sure Northam people think differently (and I agree with the idea that Northam would be better on some of the local issues, though not all, especially those related to DOMINION POWER) and that's good.

This is not a race to get angry about or pout IM NOT GONNA VOTE FOR SO AND SO over.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2017, 06:41:04 AM »

Perriello literally has no support of the Virginia establishment (Senator, Gov, State Leg.) but has the backing of Washington (Sanders, Warren, Hillary & Obama people) - It is kinda sad how the primary should be about picking the strongest candidate with the best ideas but it becomes about who gets more establishment support (Virginia of DC).

Anyways, Northam was pretty hard on Perriello about a few votes in the debate while Tom was more about you voted for Bush twice. Perriello isn't taking Dominion money, opposes the pipelines, proposes free community college, is stronger on the environment, was 1st to propose 15$ Min wage & runs a share stronger than Northam vs the Republicans ! He is making a legitimate case against a man who voted twice for freaking Bush & voted for Cap n Trade & for ACA which cost him his seat !

In the end whoever wins, will probably beat the Republican & neither are bad. But the Democrats have failed totally statewide in Virginia, don't control the Legislature & have not got a lot of stuff done - Nothing like the 15$ Wage will come until the Democrats take back the State Leg.

In the end, the party's success is not about holding onto power of Gov races etc but about what difference it makes in the lives of people through policies. Virginia is one of the states without Medicaid expansion which is a total embarrassment given many Republican states have also done so ! I saw Perrielo speaking about taking State Legislatures in an interview with MSNBC & he is a welcome change from the same old, same old which has lost more than 900 state legislative seats & is satisfied with getting crumbs !
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #332 on: May 14, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »

But the Democrats have failed totally statewide in Virginia, don't control the Legislature & have not got a lot of stuff done - Nothing like the 15$ Wage will come until the Democrats take back the State Leg.

Democrats don't control the State House because it's one of the worst gerrymanders in the country. That's why it's very important that a Democrat win this year with large coattails, while also being successful enough to flip the State Senate in 2019 so that fair maps can be drawn after 2020.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

McAullife has pushed for the Medicaid expansion numerous times, but the 66-34 Republican HOD won't let it happen. In no way is this Democrats' fault.

It appears to be more bitter online, haven't really seen much animosity between the two candidates.

Honestly, it sounds like I'm getting bitter at this point, it's because people from out of state who don't know anything about VA state politics keep talking sh*t about Democrats who actually win. Otherwise, I really just wish for this primary to be over so I can support the winner more actively.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »

Perriello literally has no support of the Virginia establishment (Senator, Gov, State Leg.) but has the backing of Washington (Sanders, Warren, Hillary & Obama people) - It is kinda sad how the primary should be about picking the strongest candidate with the best ideas but it becomes about who gets more establishment support (Virginia of DC).

Anyways, Northam was pretty hard on Perriello about a few votes in the debate while Tom was more about you voted for Bush twice. Perriello isn't taking Dominion money, opposes the pipelines, proposes free community college, is stronger on the environment, was 1st to propose 15$ Min wage & runs a share stronger than Northam vs the Republicans ! He is making a legitimate case against a man who voted twice for freaking Bush & voted for Cap n Trade & for ACA which cost him his seat !

In the end whoever wins, will probably beat the Republican & neither are bad. But the Democrats have failed totally statewide in Virginia, don't control the Legislature & have not got a lot of stuff done - Nothing like the 15$ Wage will come until the Democrats take back the State Leg.

In the end, the party's success is not about holding onto power of Gov races etc but about what difference it makes in the lives of people through policies. Virginia is one of the states without Medicaid expansion which is a total embarrassment given many Republican states have also done so ! I saw Perrielo speaking about taking State Legislatures in an interview with MSNBC & he is a welcome change from the same old, same old which has lost more than 900 state legislative seats & is satisfied with getting crumbs !

Isn't that US politics in general?

Big money sucks on politics like a fat leech.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #334 on: May 14, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »

I don't understand what this means. Democrats currently control all 3 statewide offices in Virginia, and even when state politics in VA finally flipped to Republicans in the 90s, Democrats still managed to continue winning the Governor's office more often than not, which conveniently put Republicans in a situation where it took them so long to uproot state Democrats that by the time they did, the state was already shifting back towards Democrats. This situation has meant that Virginia has never had to truly suffer through the GOP's incessant rightwards shift, as there has usually been a Democrat standing over them with a veto pen, keeping them in check.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #335 on: May 14, 2017, 06:34:57 PM »

Perriello and Northam have been remarkably civil for a very contested primary, and I think it's a testament to how good a guys they are. Truthfully, despite Northam's previous and present fiscal views, I think he would be a good Governor of Virginia. and I'm sure many Northam people think the same of Perriello. I think Perriello would be a better Governor for a few reasons but I'm sure Northam people think differently (and I agree with the idea that Northam would be better on some of the local issues, though not all, especially those related to DOMINION POWER) and that's good.

This is not a race to get angry about or pout IM NOT GONNA VOTE FOR SO AND SO over.

Well said, Maxwell
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #336 on: May 15, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »

Long Term Plan for Virginia:

1) Hold Governor, Lieutenant Governor and Attorney General
2) Win 7-10 House of Delegates Seats

1) Knock Out Comstock
2) Kaine Holds His Senate Seat

1) Win 2-3 Senate Seats, Take Control of Chamber (Guarantee at least fair redistricting next round)
2) Win 4-5 House of Delegate Seats, Get Close To Taking Control Or Totally Take It

1) Democrat wins Virginia For President in route to White House
2) Warner Holds His Senate Seat

2) Win 4-5 House of Delegates Seats, Take Control of the Chamber

1) Fair Redistricting
2) Ant-Voter Suppression Legislation: Move elections to even years, statewide offices and state senate races to Presidential years, automatic voter registration, vote by mail, repeal of voter ID, same day registration, massive expansion of non-excuse early voting, restoration of felon voting rights, statewide holiday for election day, expand voting hours to 10PM Eastern, reduce residency requirements
3) Amendment to allow Governors to run for reelection
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #337 on: May 15, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »

Corey Stewart seems likely to drop out on the GOP Side today.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #338 on: May 15, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »

Long Term Plan for Virginia:

2) Win 7-10 House of Delegates Seats

1) Knock Out Comstock
2) Kaine Holds His Senate Seat

1) Win 2-3 Senate Seats, Take Control of Chamber (Guarantee at least fair redistricting next round)
2) Win 4-5 House of Delegate Seats, Get Close To Taking Control Or Totally Take It

1) Democrat wins Virginia For President in route to White House
2) Warner Holds His Senate Seat

2) Win 4-5 House of Delegates Seats, Take Control of the Chamber

1) Fair Redistricting
2) Ant-Voter Suppression Legislation: Move elections to even years, statewide offices and state senate races to Presidential years, automatic voter registration, vote by mail, repeal of voter ID, same day registration, massive expansion of non-excuse early voting, restoration of felon voting rights, statewide holiday for election day, expand voting hours to 10PM Eastern, reduce residency requirements
3) Amendment to allow Governors to run for reelection

Ambitious, but not out of the realm of possibility, although I'm a bit worried about what 2021 would look like under a Democratic president.

Also, why are you interested in expanding voting hours to 10 PM?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #339 on: May 15, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »

Is this because of Richard Spencer's Tiki Torch Stunt?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #340 on: May 15, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »

http://www.wusa9.com/mb/news/local/virginia/sources-corey-stewart-thinking-of-exiting-race-for-governor-/439821583 Corey Stewart to make statement at 7 PM Eastern on whether or not he's staying in the race, twitter political rumors are all abuzz that he is suspending campaign, but political twitter rumors are....well you know
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #341 on: May 15, 2017, 02:20:38 PM »

Is this because of Richard Spencer's Tiki Torch Stunt?

Talk about egg on the face for Corey lol.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #342 on: May 15, 2017, 04:45:56 PM »

Northam quasi-internal from PPP has him up 45/35.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #343 on: May 15, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »

Which would be a 7 point uptick for Northam and a 10 point uptick for Perriello. Also:

Making a county map prediction for this race is gonna be hard.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #344 on: May 15, 2017, 05:07:45 PM »

If Corey Stewart is out, that just makes Ed Gillespie's job to win the primary easier and results in the Democrats wasting more money in the primary while Gillespie continues building up his war chest.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #345 on: May 15, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »

Post-Schar poll of GOP primary:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/post-schar-poll-finds-ed-gillespie-with-big-lead-for-gop-gubernatorial-nomination/2017/05/15/de15e92c-3992-11e7-8854-21f359183e8c_story.html?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.80afedb505e1
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #346 on: May 16, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »

I don't see how any Republican wins with those numbers.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: May 16, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »

It's actually 36/60 among registered voters. I hope this is part of a staggered release and that they polled the Dem primary and the GE.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #348 on: May 16, 2017, 04:56:56 PM »

Good Ol' Trump screwed the pooch down in the Commonwealth.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #349 on: May 17, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »

So I just watched the last candidate forum. Is Northam always this uninspiring of a debater/speaker or was this an off night?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies