VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:20:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161034 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2017, 05:28:11 PM »

Still Lean Northam.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2017, 09:17:12 PM »

C'est fini.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #277 on: April 24, 2017, 09:17:42 PM »

NARAL endorsed Northam.

Makes Perriello's switch on this look even worse, IMO.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:08 PM »

Seems most of the DC establishment is behind Perriello while most of the Virginia establishment (McAuliffe, Kaine, Warner) is behind Northam.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #279 on: April 24, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »

NARAL endorsed Northam.

Makes Perriello's switch on this look even worse, IMO.
Was Perriello pro-life?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #280 on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure he's always been pro-choice, but he legislated like a pro-lifer, voting for the Stupak amendment in the ACA which would've prohibited the use of federal funds for abortion. I guess the Hyde Amendment didn't suffice.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #281 on: April 24, 2017, 09:53:50 PM »

Nah, this is just much ado about nothing by the usual Northam supporters.  Btw, can I just take a moment to note how utterly revolting it is that Northam's been making campaign stops at abortion facilities.  I mean, I'm pro-choice too, but let's not pretend abortions are something to be celebrated.  Are they sometimes a necessary evil?  Sure.  But let's not reduce such a serious issue to a photo-op.  I mean, it'd be nice if Northam could show a bit more tact here.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #282 on: April 24, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »

Warren said she had tried to coax Perriello to join her at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau after he lost his re-election to Congress in 2010. “I actually tried to hire him a long time ago. “He’s strong, he’s aggressive on consumer issues, and I really wanted him to come and be one of the major people running the CFPB. "

“I think that if he’s governor, he would be terrific,” Warren said. “He’s a guy with values. He’s practical, he’s pragmatic, that’s why I wanted him at the agency. He’s the kind of guy who says, ‘I am going to make change and I’m going to make change not for the richest, not for the most powerful, not for what’s politically expedient. I want to make change for hard-working families.’”

Looks like Warren likes him for a long while
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #283 on: April 24, 2017, 10:04:17 PM »

Nah, this is just much ado about nothing by the usual Northam supporters.  Btw, can I just take a moment to note how utterly revolting it is that Northam's been making campaign stops at abortion facilities.  I mean, I'm pro-choice too, but let's not pretend abortions are something to be celebrated.  Are they sometimes a necessary evil?  Sure.  But let's not reduce such a serious issue to a photo-op.  I mean, it'd be nice if Northam could show a bit more tact here.

Haven't seen such a thing.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2017, 10:54:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure he's always been pro-choice, but he legislated like a pro-lifer, voting for the Stupak amendment in the ACA which would've prohibited the use of federal funds for abortion. I guess the Hyde Amendment didn't suffice.
Ugh. I guess it was Virgil Goode's district but still...
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #285 on: April 25, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »
« Edited: April 25, 2017, 11:14:37 AM by Virginia »

GREAT ad from Northam here, I think people underestimate the guys political skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYW6CVpO-Dk&feature=youtu.be

*** mod note: fixed link
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #286 on: April 25, 2017, 01:21:02 PM »

GREAT ad from Northam here, I think people underestimate the guys political skills.

Awesome ad. Showing real people impacted by a candidate is always a good strategy.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #287 on: April 25, 2017, 05:39:26 PM »

Northam seems like a real nice lad IRL. Smiley
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2017, 06:31:45 AM »

I have a feeling that Northam may actually win by a much larger margin, purely because of the amount of favours that he can pick up in Virginia. I mean the endorsement of groups like NARAL+ support from state senators/other local officals carry much more campaigning weight than Elizabeth Warren praising him in an article.

I'm actually starting to sour on Perriello, and I'm beginning to see why someone on here compared him to a Marco Rubio esque figure
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2017, 07:38:30 AM »

Tom is a fighter, I saw the interview he did with Chris Hayes & he seemed great. The Rubio comparisons don't surprise me because these same posters have terrible judgement & had no idea HRC could lose & how hated she was.

Tom is a future star of the Democrats while Northam was a Republican & conservative who voted for Bush twice after the Iraq War was playing out & Bush is one of the biggest disasters in recent history. The guy has 0 charisma, is totally bland &  has no business being anywhere near the Gov. seat !
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »

Tom is a fighter, I saw the interview he did with Chris Hayes & he seemed great. The Rubio comparisons don't surprise me because these same posters have terrible judgement & had no idea HRC could lose & how hated she was.

Tom is a future star of the Democrats while Northam was a Republican & conservative who voted for Bush twice after the Iraq War was playing out & Bush is one of the biggest disasters in recent history. The guy has 0 charisma, is totally bland &  has no business being anywhere near the Gov. seat !

I really don't think you should compare voting records between candidates... First off, personal votes should not be issues of campaigns, their elected tenure should be the issue here. And 'Tom' is not flawless on that regard.

I think they are both fine candidates, but as a staunch Northam supporter for years, and good friends with his family, I am very fired up for him being elected Virginia's next governor.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »

Tom is a good guy and he meant well (he was my former Rep and met him at one of his ACA town halls in 2010) but Northam has my support. Tom can't run a NY or CA style campaign in VA and win. VA is shifting to the Dems but it is still a southern state below PW county and east/west of Richmond. Gillespie would love to run against him. Northam can win and Gillespie knows that, polls bear it out as well.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #292 on: April 26, 2017, 10:43:30 AM »

Gillespie will win the GOP nomination, and he will give both Democrats a run.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #293 on: April 26, 2017, 12:40:25 PM »

With regards to Northam having Virginia support, does this having any effect on the ballot for the primary? Will Northam have Column A in most counties?

I personally think this is the only way that state bigwigs have any real power in primaries anymore-give their preferred candidates the first column to encourage low information voters to go with their guy. The high information voters couldn't care less about what their state senator thinks--they're the ones in tune with Liz Warren's endorsements, John Podesta's endorsements, etc.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #294 on: April 26, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »

There are probably lots of Democrats in Virginia who voted for Bush twice. It did swing rather dramatically from safe red to safe blue in a matter of years.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #295 on: April 26, 2017, 01:50:53 PM »

There are probably lots of Democrats in Virginia who voted for Bush twice. It did swing rather dramatically from safe red to safe blue in a matter of years.
Not all, but I'm sure many are in the NOVA area. Remember, W Bush wasn't anti-big government at all, and Republicans held VA-11 from 1994 to 2008. Stuff like drain the swamp, federal hiring freeze, cut unnecessary spending, etc. are beyond toxic in that area, and a lot of the NOVA people will naturally be very anti-Republican assuming the GOP keeps moving in the direction it does. The DC suburbs are not your typical suburbs.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2017, 10:55:14 PM »

Went to a Perriello town hall tonight.

I told him I was disappointed with his flip on the Stupak Amendment. I was hoping for a Time Kaine type "well, I'm personally, pro-life, but..." response. But he actually told me he wants a state constitutional amendment protecting access to abortion. I don't think Northam has even gone that far left.

He also had LuAnn Bennett introduce him; her campaign last year basically emphasized all the issue I disagree with the party on. She said she's not running again.

He keeps talking about nationalizing the race, which I don't like. Seeing nationalization used against other Democrats in the south during the Obama era, I want local races to be more nuanced than that.

Overall, I'm still leaning towards Northam.

And a pic:

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:47 PM »

Went to a Perriello town hall tonight.

I told him I was disappointed with his flip on the Stupak Amendment. I was hoping for a Time Kaine type "well, I'm personally, pro-life, but..." response. But he actually told me he wants a state constitutional amendment protecting access to abortion. I don't think Northam has even gone that far left.

He also had LuAnn Bennett introduce him; her campaign last year basically emphasized all the issue I disagree with the party on. She said she's not running again.

He keeps talking about nationalizing the race, which I don't like. Seeing nationalization used against other Democrats in the south during the Obama era, I want local races to be more nuanced than that.

Overall, I'm still leaning towards Northam.

And a pic:

He's compensating for NARAL.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #298 on: April 29, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »

Just canvassed and am at the pre-Dem Debate rally for Northam. Going to be great stuff tonight!
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #299 on: April 29, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »

Does anyone have any links to footage of the Democratic debate tonight? I missed the live stream and I can't find any other sources of footage.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies