VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:55:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 160720 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: June 13, 2017, 10:46:01 PM »

That's a shocker smh
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #651 on: June 13, 2017, 10:46:19 PM »

It was low turnout that appeared to hurt EG.

I wonder what things would have looked like with higher GOP turnout and with Wagner off the ballot?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #652 on: June 13, 2017, 10:48:01 PM »

It was heart-wrenching to watch this. The D side wasn't all that surprising; polls had anything from Northam having a wide lead to Periello having a narrow lead. It was the R side that really got me hyperventilating. I wonder if most of the undecideds went to Stewart.

Due to a seemingly divided GOP and the national environment, I'm gonna have to rate it leans D.

What I'm gonna be watching closely is how well Northam does in the tidewater region in November. He did do notably well here for a Democrat in the 2013 LG general. I can see him winning VA-02, as well as at least keeping the margin in VA-01 in mid single-digits.

I'm also keeping an eye on southside and parts of the Shenandoah Valley, namely Alleghany County, which regularly give GOP presidential candidates solid wins, but seems to be competitive in statewide elections.

As for Gillespie, I think this is a chance for Rs to possibly make up lost ground with more moderate suburban voters, but it could also be an opportunity for Democrats to make up lost ground with rural voters.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #653 on: June 13, 2017, 10:49:57 PM »

60% of voters tonight pulled a Democratic ballot: interesting. What did it look like four years ago?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #654 on: June 13, 2017, 10:56:33 PM »

60% of voters tonight pulled a Democratic ballot: interesting. What did it look like four years ago?

No real comparison to be had since the GOP had a convention in 2013 while McAullife was the only Dem running.

Also, could someone (maybe Adam) make a Sanders-Perriello swing map?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #655 on: June 13, 2017, 11:05:59 PM »

VA GOP is trash
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #656 on: June 13, 2017, 11:29:06 PM »

This one should be close.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #657 on: June 13, 2017, 11:36:45 PM »

No, it won't be close.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #658 on: June 13, 2017, 11:37:42 PM »

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #659 on: June 14, 2017, 12:01:19 AM »

Pro tip:

57% of the voters in the 2016 Presidential primary in Virginia pulled the GOP ballot! Clearly that led to a landslide victory in Virginia.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #660 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:29 AM »

Pro tip:

57% of the voters in the 2016 Presidential primary in Virginia pulled the GOP ballot! Clearly that led to a landslide victory in Virginia.

Enough excuses, own this L.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #661 on: June 14, 2017, 12:27:04 AM »

Buena Vista went for Northam just as I thought.

Unlikely, but it'd be hilarious if Lynchburg voted for Perriello right after this
. No idea when that will dump.

Methinks for that city:

Dems: Northam, Fairfax
GOP: Gillespie, Vogel

Holy s&^!

Wow, Lynchburg was less establishment than usual and to the left of Buena Vista at that. I know the city went significantly leftwards towards Hillary this time around, but this is crazy.

The land of Jerry Falwell's institution, one of the last holdouts for the state during The Civil War....and it votes decidedly to the left of Buena Vista AND in the case of the Governor, the college town of Lexington....this, this is telling.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #662 on: June 14, 2017, 12:57:58 AM »

Unlikely, but it'd be hilarious if Lynchburg voted for Perriello right after this

Methinks for that city:

Holy s&^!

Wow, Lynchburg was less establishment than usual and to the left of Buena Vista at that. I know the city went significantly leftwards towards Hillary this time around, but this is crazy.

The land of Jerry Falwell's institution, one of the last holdouts for the state during The Civil War....and it votes decidedly to the left of Buena Vista AND in the case of the Governor, the college town of Lexington....this, this is telling.

and nearly 2/3 of Lynchburg voters today voted in the GOP primary.

perhaps more to the point, this is right outside the boundaries of his former district.  People know about him there and they believed he would represent their interests.  Not everything is about left vs right.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #663 on: June 14, 2017, 01:19:32 AM »

Methinks for that city:

Holy s&^!

perhaps more to the point, this is right outside the boundaries of his former district.  People know about him there and they believed he would represent their interests.  Not everything is about left vs right.

Ah, that explains it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #664 on: June 14, 2017, 02:24:08 AM »

Pro tip:

Yes, the Republicans were MISERABLE FAILURES in Virginia in that election as well - thanks for reminding me of the correlation and causation!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #665 on: June 14, 2017, 02:30:40 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2017, 02:33:04 AM by Bagel23 »

It could, but should not be. But seriously, I know the VA GOP is getting weaker and weaker, especially statewide, but seriously, Gillespie? Is that sad loser really the best yall could do?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #666 on: June 14, 2017, 03:10:08 AM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #667 on: June 14, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »

Spectacular work as always, Miles!

So the word on Dark Atlas is that Wagner basically ran as a moderate on economic issues.  I wonder how much support that bled from Gillespie.  I didn't follow his campaign at all but I didn't see any signs of his and I don't think he ran a single ad - and this is his home city.

Eyeballing that map, it appears Stewart won my precinct.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #668 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:41 AM »

Pro tip:

Enough excuses, own this L.

*presents numbers that are supposed to be favorable to Democrats*
*presents counter argument disproving significance of first bit of evidence*
"Ignore the past and accept Gillespie lost the race before it really began
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #669 on: June 14, 2017, 07:07:30 AM »

Well in other news the Foy King primary in PW is down to a ten vote separation and probably will be a recount. http://www.fauquier.com/prince_william_times/just-votes-separate-foy-king-in-nd-district/article_5793b914-50b8-11e7-b8d4-9f1e9c2599a9.html
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #670 on: June 14, 2017, 07:51:32 AM »

The interwebs Bernie Bros (I bet almost none are in Virginia) are already railing against the Northam win and how they won't support a centrist. Gillespie has to love their support!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #671 on: June 14, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »

Methinks for that city:

Holy s&^!

Yeah, name recognition had to be a factor. Majority white pittsylvania county and plurality black danville both went for periello above 70% with the common link being he was our old congressman.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #672 on: June 14, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »

The interwebs Bernie Bros (I bet almost none are in Virginia) are already railing against the Northam win and how they won't support a centrist. Gillespie has to love their support!
Northam is a much better candidate then Clinton was. No baggage, and actually has a clear message.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #673 on: June 14, 2017, 08:58:19 AM »

Northam is a much better candidate then Clinton was. No baggage, and actually has a clear message.

You know that, I know that but he wasn't endorsed by Bernie and not labeled as a Progressive so many won't support him. Boggles my mind that people won't vote for someone who won a fair primary who supports most of what they want but isn't as far left and instead won't vote which could make a Republican win so they get nothing.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #674 on: June 14, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »

It's crazy how VA-5 is still Perriello's best area by far after all these years.   I didn't think it'd be that prominent especially since he didn't serve very long.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies