VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:07:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161084 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 05, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »

Ugh. I like Perriello, but Northam has my complete support. I have met Northam multiple times, and he is going to be a great governor. Perriello should most definitely run in 2021 or run for Congress again.

The idea that he is a progressive hero is pretty ridiculous. He has been a great advocate for wonderful programs like ACA and the Stimulus which led to him losing his re-election. But just because of that doesn't mean this race will be one between a Sanders and a Webb. They are really not that dissimilar.

Northam will win this, but I do not under-estimate that Perriello will be a strong challenger.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:44:45 PM »

I've always liked Perriello, but I'll be volunteering for Northam. 

Change your avatar then.

To what? Miles is a real LA Dem. Tongue
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »

I am genuinely curious as to why Perriello is considered progressive.

Because apparently from now on, every democratic primary race will be compared to the 2016 Democratic Primaries.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »

A reminder to people calling Perriello "conservative" - he was in an R+5 district. I think standing for some of the things he stood for was pretty brave considering that.

Not calling him conservative, per say... But voting against a woman's right to choose and getting an 'A' rating and the endorsement of the NRA twice, doesn't scream progressive hero, which he is being framed to be.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »

It's not like he vanished off the face of the Earth. He ran CPAC for a while, and replaced Russ Feingold as an envoy to the Congo.

Since I don't often hear any news from Kinshasa, as far as I knew he had vanished from the face of the Earth.

Ugh. I like Perriello, but Northam has my complete support. I have met Northam multiple times, and he is going to be a great governor. Perriello should most definitely run in 2021 or run for Congress again.

The idea that he is a progressive hero is pretty ridiculous. He has been a great advocate for wonderful programs like ACA and the Stimulus which led to him losing his re-election. But just because of that doesn't mean this race will be one between a Sanders and a Webb. They are really not that dissimilar.

Northam will win this, but I do not under-estimate that Perriello will be a strong challenger.

Does the fact that no one outside of Virginia has ever heard of this Northam person enter into the equation? Perriello is Democratic Party Royalty. 2010 was a bloodbath and his near win was one of the few bright spots on that horrid night. I wish he had run for something sooner, but its only been 6 years, he still has a bright future ahead of him.

No... It really doesn't. Being "known" to a select group of Dems in Washington, doesn't give you an edge over being the popular Lt. Governor of the state you are running in.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 04:53:08 PM »

Northam welcomes Primary Challenge. Amazing man. Go Northam.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »

Really heading left. I mean, I hope people get the hypocrisy (those that were anti-Clinton progressives for flip-flopping/"evolving") of this. I am very glad he is coming to the correct side, lucky for him it's when it may cost him the election otherwise...
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 05:34:22 PM »

Really heading left. I mean, I hope people get the hypocrisy (those that were anti-Clinton progressives for flip-flopping/"evolving") of this. I am very glad he is coming to the correct side, lucky for him it's when it may cost him the election otherwise...

Do you know of any specific people who opposed Clinton for flip-flopping and are now supporting Perriello?

Not personally, no, but my point is that her "flip-flopping" was a MAJOR reason that many many people didn't vote for her in the primaries, and even the GE. My hope is that those people see their hypocrisy in this race, and take that issue to the voting booths with them.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »

Apparently Perriello has been out campaigning for candidates in tomorrow's special elections

Hmm and what has Northam been doing?

Whatever an establishment whore does in their spare time, I guess.

Do you ever stop being awful?

Glad Perriello is doing this, I just saw Lt. Gov. Northam at a phonebank/fundraiser on Saturday helping do some calls for Tuesday's election, he was also at Del. Patrick Hope's "Pancakes with Pat" charity and local issues meetup that day also.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:22:08 PM »

ShadowofTheWave is just a troll who keeps appearing as different annoying characters.

Each one, somehow worse and more degrading than the last!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »

Didn't Governor McAuliffe recently sign some gun control? His numbers seem to be fine.

Yep, last we checked, Governor McAuliffe has a 53% approval rating.

It was EXTREMELY weaksauce, and was basically crafted by lobbyists from the NRA. It did put a couple extra provisions for important things like background checks, but at the cost of repealing a lot of the work done against the gun lobby by AG Herring.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 05:45:09 PM »

Northam attended the Women's March today.

YESS! So happy we have true leaders like Northam to do this.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 05:33:57 PM »

The issue of Northam's Bush votes were questionable to me, but looking at Perriello's record of flip-flopping, neither side should make the past an issue. I still support Northam enthusiastically, and like Perriello lots. I look forward to their productive dialogue and hopefully both will help pull the VA Dems to their rightful victory come November.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 08:16:59 PM »

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind either Perriello or Northam being governor?

It's not that I'd mind Northam Perriello, so much as it is that I really like Perriello Northam.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:19 AM »

Tom is a fighter, I saw the interview he did with Chris Hayes & he seemed great. The Rubio comparisons don't surprise me because these same posters have terrible judgement & had no idea HRC could lose & how hated she was.

Tom is a future star of the Democrats while Northam was a Republican & conservative who voted for Bush twice after the Iraq War was playing out & Bush is one of the biggest disasters in recent history. The guy has 0 charisma, is totally bland &  has no business being anywhere near the Gov. seat !

I really don't think you should compare voting records between candidates... First off, personal votes should not be issues of campaigns, their elected tenure should be the issue here. And 'Tom' is not flawless on that regard.

I think they are both fine candidates, but as a staunch Northam supporter for years, and good friends with his family, I am very fired up for him being elected Virginia's next governor.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »

Just canvassed and am at the pre-Dem Debate rally for Northam. Going to be great stuff tonight!
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »

Basically the same as heatcharger^^^

I'd say the one exchange on guns was interesting. Perriello really tried to distance himself from that NRA endorsement, and even went so far as to attack Northam for being "the deciding vote" on gun safety. I wonder if this will be a topic in the next couple of debates.

Good stuff though, nonetheless.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »

The ad makes a sharp anti-Trump turn about two thirds in.

VA Tech Shooting to Trump is a narcisstic maniac. Really going bang for your buck with that one.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »

I am really getting just depressed at the fact that many, I won't even say Perriello supporters, as it's really not him they are supporting, it's the downfall of the supposed "Centrist Democrats".

Is this really how we move forward?

Perriello, along with some of his supporters, have done a great job of helping push the VA Dems, and Northam in particular down the path of futhered progressivism that can now be achieved. But the thing that does annoy me is those who will not be impacted by this election, nor have any context of what is happening, bashing and denigrating many folks who will be required to win here.

I support Northam, because I think he has the experience and know-how of VA Politics to move this state forward. Does that mean I should attack Perriello as a woman-hating, pro-mass murder, evil creature? Of course not. His positions were his positions, and to be a politician, your positions will change and as a voter, you have to accept that.

Northam supports a $15 Minimum Wage, Free 2-year College Tuition with apprenticeship, Medicaid Expansion, and so many other supposedly solely "progressive" ideals. There is almost NO difference on policy between the candidates, despite the centrist vs. real-left, the media and some on here seem to believe.

I mean, I won't ask for the "can't we all just get along", but at least can we stop vilifying two fine candidates for the Virginia Governorship?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »

Anybody else think Perriello should run for Congress?

Of course. That should be his next goal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies