VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:00:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161107 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »
« edited: January 16, 2017, 09:29:58 PM by Shadows »

Perreilo voted for Cap n Trade when it didn't have a lot of support, called it  a National Security issue & said he was ready to lose an election over his values. He also advocated for more infra spending in the Stimulus. So I guess he is probably less of a centrist comparatively & he had to run in conservative areas.

There is still a lot of upside & potential gains for Dems in VA, especially in rural areas.  

Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2017, 01:08:54 PM by Shadows »

Tom has a very strong environmental record & voted for many of the Clean Energy legislation & was an ally of Obama & did support the ACA. Many people called him everything from a Populist to an unapologetic progressive & he was the 1st person to rail against the Corporate establishment.

Northam voted for Bush over Gore n Kerry, even in 2004 after seeing what Bush had done with Iraq n stuff. Northam is a conservative Dem who claims to be a progressive. It is obvious the GOP is much more wary of Tom !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »

The liberal showdown in Virginia's gubernatorial race played out earlier this month in Northern Virginia, where Democrat Ralph Northam met with workers at Ronald Reagan National Airport who were campaigning for a $15-per-hour minimum wage.

"We need to work hard to increase the minimum wage," he told NBC News after the event, later adding: "I've been fighting for progressive values in Virginia for the last 10 years."

The very next day, his primary opponent Tom Perriello made the same visit - and his campaign told NBC that he had embraced raising the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour before Northam did.

Say hello to the 2017 Democratic gubernatorial primary in Virginia, which increasingly has become a contest to see which candidate is more progressive. And say goodbye to the more centrist Virginia Democratic playbook that current Sen. Mark Warner — and Tim Kaine and Jim Webb, to lesser degrees — used successfully in the state over the last 16 years.

Northam, the state's lieutenant governor, has touted his record fighting the state's transvaginal ultrasound legislation in 2012, as well as pushing for gun-safety reforms.

Perriello, a former Democratic congressman, talks about achieving criminal-justice reform, combating a "rigged" economy and fighting against the Trump administration's "white tribalism."

And it all raises the question: Just how blue is the state that Democrats have won in three-straight presidential elections? Or is it still purple, given the Republicans' control of the state legislature and their gubernatorial victory there eight years ago?

Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia's Center for Politics, says Perriello's surprise entry in the contest earlier this year — Northam originally expected no serious competition in the June 13 Democratic primary — made it a race to the left.

"No question Perriello is dragging Northam to the left," Sabato said. "Actually, Northam has moved left during the McAuliffe administration, even before Perriello announced. But now Northam has to stress all of his liberal positions — some of which, on gun control and abortion, may be more to the left than Perriello's record."

But Sabato also notes that President Trump's unpopularity in Virginia — a poll last month had his approval rating at 38 percent in the state — could overshadow this Democratic competition over who is more progressive.

"Trump may generate a larger turnout than usual than usual among Democrats come November. The larger the turnout, the likelier the electorate will resemble last November, and the better the [Democratic] nominee's chances," he said.

Northam, a doctor and Army veteran, says he isn't concerned about a primary dragging the eventual Democratic nominee to the left. "These are things that I've fought for my whole life," he told NBC. "And as a lot of people know, I ran in a very conservative district," referring to his days as a state senator.

Perriello's campaign has a similar response, arguing that pursuing priorities like a $15-per-hour minimum wage "is a fight we welcome" given that it's something even some Trump backers support, says Perriello spokesman Ian Sams.

"Of the two candidates running in the primary, Tom brings bolder arguments than Ralph has brought," Sams adds. "We welcome an argument who can be the most bold."

Holes in Their Progressive Records
Yet as Northam and Perriello try to one-up each other in the Democratic primary, their own progressive records contain some noticeable holes, which each candidate is trying to exploit.

For Northam, it's voting for George W. Bush in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections. "Knowing what I know now, that vote was wrong. That administration does not stand for what I believe in," he said in an interview with NBC News.

"At the end of the day, I don't think Virginians are worried about who I voted for 17 years ago. They're worried about what I've been fighting for since I was a public servant and where I want to take Virginia."

For Perriello, it's the A-rating he earned from the National Rifle Association when he served in Congress, as well as his vote for an anti-abortion amendment in the debate over the 2010 health-care law.

"I want to be very clear that I regret my vote on the Stupak-Pitts Amendment," he wrote in an online post last month. "This vote caused real pain to constituents and other women. I appreciate that some of these brave women and reproductive justice advocates took time to tell me their stories and educate me about the full implications of that vote."

GOP: "A Primary Between Left and Left-er"
Republicans in Virginia are giddy to see this Democratic contest turn into a race to the left.

"This is a primary between left and left-er and it's hard to tell which one is which," says Matt Moran, a spokesman for GOP gubernatorial frontrunner Ed Gillespie. "They oppose offshore drilling, an energy pipeline backed by Gov. [Terry] McAuliffe, and are both in favor of sanctuary cities, driver's licenses for illegal immigrants, a $15 minimum wage, and free community college. And it's only March!"

Adds Republican Party of Virginia Chair John Whitbeck, "It appears that Tom Perriello and Ralph Northam are desperate to be Virginia's version of Bernie Sanders."

But Democrats ultimately believe that Virginia's gubernatorial race will be more about the eventual Republican nominee having to own President Trump than any primary liberal showdown.

"There's going to be a tremendous amount of focus on Virginia to see which way this country wants to go," Northam told NBC News.

As well as focus about just how blue - or purple - Virginia really is.

Source - NBC
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 01:16:33 AM »

Some key points - He sounds very VERY progressive, guess Tom & Ralph are both swinging to more left than one another dragging Virginia to be more & more liberal

If West Virginia can raise their minimum wage, why can't Virginia? I was the first candidate in this race to call for a $15 minimum wage, because higher wages are good for business, good for workers, and good for our economy.

In any case, if you're running your campaign without corporate money, or are in a position to return any small sums of it you may have raised, I strongly advise you to re-frame as a, "corporate-free" Democrat. We have found that to be extremely effective in conveying leadership and integrity. Good luck with your campaign!

I support medical marijuana and decriminalization of low level possession.  The issue of pain management alternatives is particularly acute in the wake of a Big Pharma promoted opioid crisis that is killing three Virginians each day.

Proud to have voted for the ACA, including an even stronger first version that included a public option, removal of anti-trust protections and negotiated prescription drug costs.

The Virginia system is one of the most broken in the country -- unlimited contributions! This includes money and gifts directly from corporations, including publicly regulated monopolies. While the legislature is deeply partisan, the largest contributor to both parties is Dominion Power and not coincidentally we rank at or near last place in every ranking of clean and renewable energy.

Ralph Northam is a great public servant, and I would be honored to work with him in any capacity. I know the party will be united not just for the general election but for governing the state and keeping it a firewall against Trump's agenda of hate.

I strongly support non-partisan (independent) redistricting and promise to veto any partisan district maps. I support the One Virginia 2021 legal strategy to challenge the current maps. Virginia is a 50/50 (leaning blue!) state but our House of Delegates is 2/3 R. The maps were drawn by the DC lobbying firm of my likely Republican opponent Ed Gillespie to ensure our legislature represents his clients instead of Virginia voters.

Lots of similarities -- good to see unity across the Dem party and the resistance on so many fronts. On differences, I have opposed two fracked-gas pipelines across Virginia and refused any donations from Dominion Power. We have called for those investments to focus instead on energy efficiency, wind and solar power. Our campaign has led on the fight for a $15/hour minimum wage and called for racial disparity studies in contracting. Also, I am a lifelong Democrat who ran progressive campaigns to fight against the Bush Agenda, whereas Northam voted twice for George W Bush. As for the frame, I am proud to be running a progressive campaign and want to partner with the unprecedented grassroots energy that has arisen in the wake of the Trump Administration.

In general, we believe there are huge opportunities for decentralized energy and food production in these areas. We have prioritized two debt-free years of community college and career technical training programs to encourage multiple pathways into trades and living wage healthcare jobs.

We also need to bring new industries, like clean and renewable energy, with local production, to areas like SWVA to create hundreds, if not thousands, of new jobs that give hard-working people a good-paying, permanent job.

One of the only areas of bipartisanship in Richmond is accepting Dominion's contributions. Meanwhile, Dominion holds back progress on clean energy development, which could create thousands of jobs.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »

Some key points - He sounds very VERY progressive, guess Tom & Ralph are both swinging to more left than one another dragging Virginia to be more & more liberal

[post]

Shadows what was that post even about? You should include links to what you're reading and/or structure it better.

Sorry !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:15:48 PM »

Massive boon, for one VA was in Super Tuesday & Sanders gave up on the state so the real margin could actually be 10-15-20 odd instead of 30, Sanders' supporters are probably likely to be much more engaged than Clinton's.

You can also add Tom's endorsements from Team Obama & many in the establishment wing. If he can sweep or get most (say 3/4th) of the Sanders voters he is guaranteed a win. In the last poll, Tom led by only 10% odd among Sanders voters while Ralph had a 10% odd lead among Clinton's supporters. (both were taking votes from both factions).

Clinton supporters' in general have a very high favorability of Sanders' , 90% odd so it is unlikely they will sour if Sanders' wing coalesces behind Tom. You can also add the huge influx of small donations which is going to critical !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »

It may be another proxy battle between Sanders and Clinton. Reliving the 2016 Democratic presidential primaries.

Tom Perriello has some good ideas, but he may be too anti-gun and anti-military to win in Virginia. The Democratic primary is Lean Northam at this point.

We'll see. I think Northam can do well in the rural areas of Virginia, but Perriello could do well with the anti-gun NOVA suburbanites that have flooded Virginia over the past couple of years.

However, Ed Gillespie probably wants Perriello as the Democratic opponent in this open seat. RGA would pour money into this race, and yes, Republicans can still win Virginia despite it being an off-year in Trump/Pence-era politics.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/bernie-sanders-endorses-tom-perriello-236858

Tom has to be the most gun friendly Dem, He has an A rating or something from the NRA & no1 is anti-military, some people just don't want to see money abused in stupid wars & soldiers killed for no good reason.

VA is a Likely D at this point & it will be very hard for the GOP to win in 2017 & Tom has been doing better than Ralph in the polls. And he has support from Podesta, Obama staffers & Sanders & his supporters - Essentially both wings - Let's see if he win now, because if he still can't, then it's difficult to see him having a good future in politics !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:01:36 AM »

It may be another proxy battle between Sanders and Clinton. Reliving the 2016 Democratic presidential primaries.

Tom Perriello has some good ideas, but he may be too anti-gun and anti-military to win in Virginia. The Democratic primary is Lean Northam at this point.

We'll see. I think Northam can do well in the rural areas of Virginia, but Perriello could do well with the anti-gun NOVA suburbanites that have flooded Virginia over the past couple of years.

However, Ed Gillespie probably wants Perriello as the Democratic opponent in this open seat. RGA would pour money into this race, and yes, Republicans can still win Virginia despite it being an off-year in Trump/Pence-era politics.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/bernie-sanders-endorses-tom-perriello-236858

Tom has to be the most gun friendly Dem, He has an A rating or something from the NRA & no1 is anti-military, some people just don't want to see money abused in stupid wars & soldiers killed for no good reason.

VA is a Likely D at this point & it will be very hard for the GOP to win in 2017 & Tom has been doing better than Ralph in the polls. And he has support from Podesta, Obama staffers & Sanders & his supporters - Essentially both wings - Let's see if he win now, because if he still can't, then it's difficult to see him having a good future in politics !
Perriello seems to have renounced his pro-gun past a few years ago. Still, I can see him being attacked as flip flopping on that issue.

Fully agreed with you. I think he will be moderately left on guns, not Hillary level though. But to say he is anti-guns given the current stance of Democrats like Murphy, Hillary, etc on guns is not correct.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 12:08:35 AM »

Henry Waxman , Former Representative has an article on Tom

He squeaked into office from Virginia’s conservative Fifth Congressional District by a smaller margin – 727 votes – than any other Member of Congress elected that year.

Perriello faced massive pressure from Tea Party Republicans and polluters to oppose the Waxman-Markey climate bill I authored as Chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee.It faced hundreds of millions of dollars in attacks by oil and coal companies who wanted to protect the status quo. Too many Democrats from less conservative districts than Tom’s told me they thought the legislation was good for America and the world, but that they weren’t willing to risk their political fortunes to vote for it.

In contrast, Tom proudly voted for this legislation, and then went back to his district to explain why he took the vote he did, and how a shift to clean energy would dramatically bolster Virginia’s economy. Tom proudly stood up and voted for expanded health care. Again, he stood up for his vote, and hit the trail to defend it. Even though the administration was pushing it, Tom opposed the second Wall Street bailout.

Unlike his opponent, Tom has taken a clear stance against the construction of polluting new fossil fuel pipelines that risk fouling Virginia’s gorgeous forests and streams

Full Article - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tom-perriello-would-be-a-governor-with-a-backbone_us_58e3ba81e4b0f4a923b241ba?utm_hp_ref=politics
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 10:35:40 PM »

My issue with Tom Perriello (besides his insincere vibe) is his opportunism -it's just too obvious.  I don't want to vote for someone so as to enable them to get a springboard for higher office.  Focus on being my governor, first and foremost.  

As opposed to the 99.99% of other people who run for elected office Roll Eyes  This idea that Perriello is somehow more ambitious than most politicians and that if this is true it means he'll be a bad Governor is pretty silly, tbh.  I mean, does anyone here really think Northam didn't run for Lieutenant Governor simply to use the office as a springboard or that he wouldn't use being Governor of Virginia as a springboard to run for higher office if he really thought it'd make him a viable candidate for said office?

Most politicians at least pretend to act as if the elected position they're running for is their heart's desire.  It's less insulting to their voters that way.  We don't appreciate being used, much less reminded of it.  Tom Perriello, however, reminds me of Marco Rubio.  I wonder if he's going to spend more of his time on the job, or running around the country seeking endorsements, raising money, and going to Iowa and New Hampshire.  Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Perriello made those 'tough, high-profile, progressive' votes that only seem impressive because his eye was always on a higher, national office.  Let's not forget how quickly he disavowed his earlier conservative record on gun control and abortion as opposed to standing by them.  I certainly won't.  

To say that someone who is barely in Congress for a couple of years made very hard votes & tried to explain that to his constituents in meeting repeatedly was due to some long term plan is flat out ridiculous. If anything you are likely out of office, possibly never to be back again & staying in Congress for 7-8 years & then trying for a Senate/Gov seat is much more apt than losing this early for some supposed state-wide goodwill on issues which May or MAY not even matter to people!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 12:46:09 AM »

The problem with Ralph is that it is pretty difficult to accept the 2004 Bush vote (maybe you can ignore the 2000 vote). Ignore the massive re-deregulation, environment record, tax cuts for the uber rich, blowing up the debt, torture of innocent people, Patriot Act, etc.

But in 2004,  it was already clear that Iraq was a total disaster. And he still voted for Bush against Kerry after voting for Bush against Gore when Bush was still campaigning of Iraq War being a success & as a war president. That is not just terrible judgement but really calls into question his whole vision, ideas, leadership - What kind of a leader will he really be?

Does he have to wait till 2007, when the Republican party abandoned Bush?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »

The problem with Ralph is that it is pretty difficult to accept the 2004 Bush vote (maybe you can ignore the 2000 vote). Ignore the massive re-deregulation, environment record, tax cuts for the uber rich, blowing up the debt, torture of innocent people, Patriot Act, etc.

But in 2004,  it was already clear that Iraq was a total disaster. And he still voted for Bush against Kerry after voting for Bush against Gore when Bush was still campaigning of Iraq War being a success & as a war president. That is not just terrible judgement but really calls into question his whole vision, ideas, leadership - What kind of a leader will he really be?

Does he have to wait till 2007, when the Republican party abandoned Bush?

I actually think a one-time Bush vote in 2004 would be easier to reconcile with the Dem base than a Bush vote in 2000, especially in a state as hawkish as VA.

No I'm not talking about VA, but about him in general - Him voting twice, in 2000 & 2004 & then claiming to be "progressive". If Bush's carnage in his 1st term wasn't enough & he believed this War President BS & he needed till 2007 odd to realize his mistake, then he has some judgement & leadership issues.

But anyways no1 is perfect & that goes for Tom as well !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 10:09:44 PM »

OurRevolution endorsed Tom - Moneybomb coming !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »

Warren said she had tried to coax Perriello to join her at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau after he lost his re-election to Congress in 2010. “I actually tried to hire him a long time ago. “He’s strong, he’s aggressive on consumer issues, and I really wanted him to come and be one of the major people running the CFPB. "

“I think that if he’s governor, he would be terrific,” Warren said. “He’s a guy with values. He’s practical, he’s pragmatic, that’s why I wanted him at the agency. He’s the kind of guy who says, ‘I am going to make change and I’m going to make change not for the richest, not for the most powerful, not for what’s politically expedient. I want to make change for hard-working families.’”

Looks like Warren likes him for a long while
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:38:30 AM »

Tom is a fighter, I saw the interview he did with Chris Hayes & he seemed great. The Rubio comparisons don't surprise me because these same posters have terrible judgement & had no idea HRC could lose & how hated she was.

Tom is a future star of the Democrats while Northam was a Republican & conservative who voted for Bush twice after the Iraq War was playing out & Bush is one of the biggest disasters in recent history. The guy has 0 charisma, is totally bland &  has no business being anywhere near the Gov. seat !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 12:07:30 AM »

Tom Perriello went to NBC & said the AHCA put state Republicans on notice & that it will put more state legislatures in play. He challenged Ed Gillespie to take the pledge to not take the waiver on pre-existing conditions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXps6qYSQtM

And he has a new ad titled "the President" with Obama saying Tom went to DC & took on Wall Street, insurance companies & hugs him during Tom's re-election campaign. Tom then talks about he had non-profits to fight climate change, poverty & Bush's attack on Civil Liberty

(George freaking Bush whom Northam supported twice btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26n6cQ0WtU4
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 02:11:00 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2017, 02:13:31 AM by Shadows »

Perriello, a first-term Democrat in a rural, red, New Jersey-sized patch of "Southside" Virginia, had cast a key vote for Waxman-Markey, the House's cap-and-trade bill that would go on to die in the Senate. Ads by the National Republican Congressional Committee, which supported his challenger Robert Hurt to the tune of $1.1 million, dubbed it an "energy tax." The US Chamber of Commerce piled on too. When Perriello eventually lost by 4 points, the NRCC claimed his climate advocacy, along with his vote for the Affordable Care Act, was a big reason why.

But unlike a lot of other Democrats who were swept out to sea in that 2010 wave, Perriello had run on, not from, his support for the Obama agenda. "I think we convert more people by being bolder on climate instead of soft on climate," he said. "People thought that was a bad vote for me, but we didn't just vote for it; we went out and made the case to farmers and small-business owners—literally got down to the level of cow manure and capturing methane off of cow manure for farmers to be able to power their own farms." He cited an election-eve poll that showed voters trusted him by 24 points on energy issues.

A few supporters of the Atlantic pipeline gripped posters calling Perriello a "job killer" for his environmentalist objections—just like the old times—but no one paid them much attention. A few feet away, behind the scrum of shouting youths, a supporter clutched a sign that said "Perriello ♥'s Obamacare." In a time when everything seems upside-down, it was a simple image of how Tom Perriello landed on his feet.

Full Article - http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/05/tom-perriello-ralph-northam-climate-march

394, 630 Youtube views already & increasing! This ad is becoming a rage !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 06:41:04 AM »

Perriello literally has no support of the Virginia establishment (Senator, Gov, State Leg.) but has the backing of Washington (Sanders, Warren, Hillary & Obama people) - It is kinda sad how the primary should be about picking the strongest candidate with the best ideas but it becomes about who gets more establishment support (Virginia of DC).

Anyways, Northam was pretty hard on Perriello about a few votes in the debate while Tom was more about you voted for Bush twice. Perriello isn't taking Dominion money, opposes the pipelines, proposes free community college, is stronger on the environment, was 1st to propose 15$ Min wage & runs a share stronger than Northam vs the Republicans ! He is making a legitimate case against a man who voted twice for freaking Bush & voted for Cap n Trade & for ACA which cost him his seat !

In the end whoever wins, will probably beat the Republican & neither are bad. But the Democrats have failed totally statewide in Virginia, don't control the Legislature & have not got a lot of stuff done - Nothing like the 15$ Wage will come until the Democrats take back the State Leg.

In the end, the party's success is not about holding onto power of Gov races etc but about what difference it makes in the lives of people through policies. Virginia is one of the states without Medicaid expansion which is a total embarrassment given many Republican states have also done so ! I saw Perrielo speaking about taking State Legislatures in an interview with MSNBC & he is a welcome change from the same old, same old which has lost more than 900 state legislative seats & is satisfied with getting crumbs !
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »

Democrat Ralph Northam has outspent rival Tom Perriello by more than 2 to 1 on TV advertising  their media tracking showed Northam had spent $1.2 million while Perriello has spent more than $500,000.

http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Northam-outspending-Perriello-in-governors-race-422823714.html

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Tom Perriello has sold his financial holdings in a construction company interested in building President Donald Trump’s wall along the Mexican border and that has worked with Dominion Energy, a Perriello punching bag, on energy projects in Virginia.

In the Democratic primary, Perriello has highlighted his opposition to the Atlantic Coast Pipeline and Mountain Valley Pipeline projects as a key difference between his  and that of Ralph S. Northam. Taking a more establishment-friendly line , Northam has said they should be guided by sound science that protects the environment while arguing a governor has no authority over the federally approved projects. Perriello also has vowed to forgo political donations from Dominion.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/perriello-sold-financial-stake-in-company-linked-to-pipeline-and/article_57969229-67c9-5102-9af1-ee81dc7609cf.html
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »

Perriello is going to be the strong candidate if he can get such a good turnout among young people & disillusioned people who are likely to stay at home. He's expanding the party beyond the core Dem base.

Anyways, both candidates look solid vs the GOP one !
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies