VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:37:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161305 times)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« on: June 13, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »

Perriello is too good for the spineless bureaucrats of NoVa. Sad!

Oh well, best wishes to Northam.

This race was more national vs state interests, really. Northam and Tom P pretty close on most issues

Pretty much.

I voted for Perriello, but there isn't a real major difference between him and Northam.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:30:51 PM »

Yeah, both Democrats ran as anti-Trump progressives.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »

Arguably, Northam was more anti-Trump.
But he isn't the more progressive of the two. La Resistance is more than anti-Trump, it must lead to muh political revolution.

They are about the same when it comes to progressivism. The difference is Northam's record and state credentials, while Perriello had more national support.

On top of that Democrats saw a huge surge in turnout (might even break VA record). The "Resistance" is alive and well here.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:41:06 PM »

Anybody else think Perriello should run for Congress?

He should take on Garrett for the 5th district. He will have a decent chance of winning if 2018 is truly a wave election.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »

Stewart's performance in NOVA is stunning. Periello's performance is worse than expecting, yet another blow to progressives.

It is hilarious how some of you on the right are trying to spin this.

Northam is a progressive.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:02:30 PM »

Stewart did much better in Fairfax than he should have. I don't see how Gillespie wins in November.

He probably won't. Virginia is not purple like the GOP would have you believe. It is a purplish blue/indigo.
MA is deep blue and they have a GOP governor.  Not saying Ed will win, but it's not impossible.

You don't understand how hated Trump is here and unfortunately for Ed, he is tied to him.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 11:36:45 PM »

No, it won't be close.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »

A poll taken of Virginia's 10th has Trump down 37/59 and Comstock losing to generic dem 48-39. So Ed's got to walk around some serious Trump hate in NOVA that is already hurting Barbara https://mobile.twitter.com/AliLapp/status/918483568577441792

I stand by my posts last night that challenged the notion that Gillespie was "fine" in NOVA. He is not gonna do anywhere near as well there as he did in 2014.

Agreed.

People really underestimate how lazy of a campaign Warner ran in 2014 and that played a major role in Gillespie over performing in NOVA.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »

Interesting Gillespie surged in western Virginia and eastern Virginia up slightly in central Virginia down in northern Virginia.
The polls says that the MS-13 ad is working.

The samples are completely different this time around (+2% more repubs than dems; in 2016, it was +7% more dems than repubs). This poll is actually showing that Northam is up among independents. A few months ago Northam was consistently losing independents.
Don't forget that Virginia polls overestimate the dems look at 2006 2013 2014 Wink

But were dead on correct in 2016.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »

Dems losing this governorship would hopefully force them go through a lot of soul-searching to remake the party. So far they've mostly avoided this by blaming 2016 on Comey and Russia, which, regardless of its validity, is like the republicans blaming Sandy for 2012. MAYBE things would have worked out without those components, but what should be focused on is the elements that allowed the race to get to the point where small external factors decided the outcome.

Your normalcy bias is why our politics are so screwed up. Go look at the ads Gillespie is running and your biggest takeaway is the Dems need to do soul-searching.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 01:24:56 PM »

Dems losing this governorship would hopefully force them go through a lot of soul-searching to remake the party. So far they've mostly avoided this by blaming 2016 on Comey and Russia, which, regardless of its validity, is like the republicans blaming Sandy for 2012. MAYBE things would have worked out without those components, but what should be focused on is the elements that allowed the race to get to the point where small external factors decided the outcome.

Your normalcy bias is why our politics are so screwed up. Go look at the ads Gillespie is running and your biggest takeaway is the Dems need to do soul-searching.

Outside of particularly egregious cases, I don't rescind endorsements based solely on problematic ad tactics. For every GOP ad that could be viewed as unethical, there is a DEM ad that could be viewed as unethical.

And Wulfric proves my point...
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 04:25:19 PM »

Is this peak Josh Kraushaar?

And even if this were true, I don't recall the victory of Larry Hogan or Charlie Baker doing this for the GOP.

National Journal, 2019: Trump could face serious primary opposition from the Phil Scott-wing of the GOP.

Not even the worst take he had this week. The other day he said it was up to dems to moderate to bring in nevertrumpers.

I mean what an arrogant statement. Your party got taking over by crazy people, so it is up to Dems to give into your demands.

Like GTFO.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 04:39:13 PM »

I do like the idea that Democratic voters are suddenly going to drop their support for Medicare for All and the like solely because a centrist won an election somewhere.

Yeah, it is bull**** concern trolling from a GOP hack.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »

You have to love the double standard.

Gillespie has been race-baiting this entire cycle. But it is the latino ad that gets limp-**** moderates upset.

Americans just suck.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 10:43:32 AM »

Gillespie has been race-baiting this entire cycle. But it is the latino ad that gets limp-**** moderates upset.

Americans just suck.

Because it was just plain bad and deserved to be called out. Ftr, those ld moderates you dislike make up the majority of Virginians. If you don't like that, feel free to pack up and move to CA, IL, or some other mismanaged state that is circling the drain. Are you even a Virginian or are you just using VA as an avatar?

I am a Virginian and I am sick and tired of jackasses who keep arguing in bad faith. They don't care about race-baiting, they are mainly upset because this ad hits close to home and deep down they know it is true.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2017, 10:53:27 AM by Yank2133 »

Americans just suck.

Because it was just plain bad and deserved to be called out. Ftr, those ld moderates you dislike make up the majority of Virginians. If you don't like that, feel free to pack up and move to CA, IL, or some other mismanaged state that is circling the drain. Are you even a Virginian or are you just using VA as an avatar?

I am a Virginian and I am sick and tired of jackasses who keep arguing in bad faith. They don't care about race-baiting, they are mainly upset because this ad hits close to home and deep down they know it is true.

How many incidences of Confederate trucks running down little kids have occurred in the Commonwealth?

Please, Ed literally ran a campaign tying Northam to MS-13 gang.

So save me the phony outrage.

Like I said, moderates always get exposed when stuff like this happens. And they are big reason why the GOP gets away with it. They always hold Democrats accountable (and they should), but they let Republicans off the hook.

The fact this ad could cost Northam votes, while Ed's ads won't says it all.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »

No, America has a pretty low bar when it comes to Republicans and that was before Trump.

He is also not making white people feel uncomfortable. So it is good, people will ignore this.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 10:14:57 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2017, 10:18:10 PM by Yank2133 »

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-democratic-civil-war-is-getting-nasty-even-if-no-one-is-paying-attention

One thing I hate about elections season is washed up Democratic insiders who always like to give their two cents about everything.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Greenberg has no clue what he is talking about. One of the big criticism you have heard from members of the left and minority voters is the fact that Northam has stayed clear from those issues and has talked up the economy.

I am so sick and tired of the useless dead weight in this party.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »

Greenberg has no clue what he is talking about. One of the big criticism you have heard from members of the left and minority voters is the fact that Northam has stayed clear from those issues and has talked up the economy.

I am so sick and tired of the useless dead weight in this party.

And ironically it is Gillespie who has really made culture war stuff his calling card. Greenberg is just talking out of his butt to stay relevant, as evidenced by his expert analysis that reads as if by someone who is analyzing the wrong election.

Yup, it is hilariously bad take.

I am just tired of out state Democrats lecturing us about what we need to do to win elections here.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »

Hell, I am in central VA and the news has pretty much ignored this "controversy".
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »

I know they are shameless, but conservatives willingness to argue in bad faith still amazes me.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »

They get away with it because most Americans still see Republicans as the patriotic party and the party of fiscal responsibility, however nonsensical that is. Democrats have done a piss-poor job in combatting the perception on both those fronts.

They need to just start all wearing American flag-emblazoned suits in Congress and start saying that they're the ones fighting for the little guy and that the Republicans cut taxes to hell in the Bush years and ran the economy into the ground (no matter if that's completely true or not) and make the comparison with Trump=Bush and never take the foot off the gas

They get away with it because the media has a massive normalcy bias concerning everything in uS politics. The GOP in it's current form is not a normal political party, the President of the United States is not a normal president. But the media, especially the clowns in the beltway, are so afraid to accept this fact that any time a Democrat attempts to push back on the GOP or Trump, the media just cries "both sides!" and moves on to something else.

It is intellectually lazy and extremely dangerous and it is big reason why the GOP won't bother to change.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »

Gillespie called northern virginia "enemy territory" at a fundraiser with audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2sC0GFSEnqs&app=desktop

Kevin Robillard ✔ @PoliticoKevin
.@American_Bridge is out with audio of Ed Gillespie referring to Northern Virginia has “enemy territory.” https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2sC0GFSEnqs … #VaGov

Now THIS is bad.

No its not. Republicans could run on a platform of leveling San Francisco and almost half the country would cheer. People are only outraged when Democrats do it
Half the country, but almost none of California.

You can’t call the most important part of the state enemy territory.

He can.

Republicans always get away with insulting city dwelling folk.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2017, 10:05:34 PM by Yank2133 »

Those liberal who know about the DFA definitely vote. Now, at least some will probably abstain. In off year elections, every vote counts and turnout counts. Not a good omen for Northam. I still remain pessimistic about the race as a whole. As usual, Atlas goes radically too far both ways. This does not mean Northam will lose, nor is it irrelevant- it will have an effect.

Lmao.

Stop pretending as if you know anything about Democratic politics in Virginia. DFA is an out of state group, they aren't relevant to VA politics what so ever.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 11:28:28 PM »

What a bunch of jackasses.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies