VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:28:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161201 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: February 16, 2017, 05:43:04 PM »

Well, correct me if I'm wrong since I'm not very well-versed in state politics. Wasn't his voting record pretty disturbing in regards to the environment, abortion and gun control?

Not really (from a Dem perspective). He was anti assault weapon ban and didnt demonize gunowners which apparently means hes mr. NRA even though he's fine with background checks and other restrictions. The abortion thing was basically just him saying that as a Catholic he thought abortion was bad even though he never supported any abortion restriction I am aware of and is fine with Roe. And he voted for cap and trade.

I favor Northam over Periello in this race but in all honesty Northam is much more moderate than Periello and I am amazed at how well Northam is pretending to outflank Periello on the left.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:19:41 PM »

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:42:55 PM »

Anybody else think Perriello should run for Congress?

He should take on Garrett for the 5th district. He will have a decent chance of winning if 2018 is truly a wave election.

lol
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »

Didn't know there were that many people who bitterly cling to the rebel flag in VA...

It's all over the place in central VA.

Yeah. I pass like 10 driving between Richmond and Danville. They're a dime a dozen around here. Probably because symbols mean different things to different people.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »

OMG go team Corey! I sooo want him to be yalls nominee!

Same. It'll be the first big election where I actually feel like I could swing to either candidate. I want to have a choice for a change.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 08:11:32 PM »

If this Dem is smart, she (he?  Is this a transwoman or transman?) will humanize this race as much as possible, showing that the bathroom issue is about people and not about abstract prejudices and fears.

she
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »

Why did Jill Vogel win NOVA by double digit margins but Gillespie couldn't do the same?

Maybe they're tired of Gillespie but don't have any reason to feel the same way about Vogel.  From what I can tell, Vogel's tried to campaign as some kind of post partisan, inoffensive moderate (though the campaign between her and Reeves has been divisive).

I received 1 mailer from her. It was about how much we needed bathroom police to protect against the menacing transgender rapists one stall over. I voted for the gun guy.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »

Why did Jill Vogel win NOVA by double digit margins but Gillespie couldn't do the same?

Maybe they're tired of Gillespie but don't have any reason to feel the same way about Vogel.  From what I can tell, Vogel's tried to campaign as some kind of post partisan, inoffensive moderate (though the campaign between her and Reeves has been divisive).

I received 1 mailer from her. It was about how much we needed bathroom police to protect against the menacing transgender rapists one stall over. I voted for the gun guy.

You still voting for Northam in the GE or what

Most likely. Sure as hell not voting Gillespie.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »

Buena Vista went for Northam just as I thought.

Unlikely, but it'd be hilarious if Lynchburg voted for Perriello right after this
. No idea when that will dump.

Methinks for that city:

Dems: Northam, Fairfax
GOP: Gillespie, Vogel

Holy s&^!

Wow, Lynchburg was less establishment than usual and to the left of Buena Vista at that. I know the city went significantly leftwards towards Hillary this time around, but this is crazy.

The land of Jerry Falwell's institution, one of the last holdouts for the state during The Civil War....and it votes decidedly to the left of Buena Vista AND in the case of the Governor, the college town of Lexington....this, this is telling.

and nearly 2/3 of Lynchburg voters today voted in the GOP primary.

perhaps more to the point, this is right outside the boundaries of his former district.  People know about him there and they believed he would represent their interests.  Not everything is about left vs right.

Yeah, name recognition had to be a factor. Majority white pittsylvania county and plurality black danville both went for periello above 70% with the common link being he was our old congressman.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 12:13:29 PM »

Shameless politics 101:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Enron Ed is such a loser.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »

Thank God Corey Stewart never became the GOP nominee.

I would have honestly voted for Periello/Northam in a heartbeat if Stewart was the nominee

I must be the opposite of you,  because I am going to vote Dem this time since Corey did not get the nominee. Tongue
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 07:25:41 PM »

Northam will have the TV advantage in the last week:

The most interesting market to me is Roanoke, where the campaigns themselves are roughly even in spending, but outside spending tips it in Gillespie's favor. Who's doing it?

Im sort of in the southern part of the Roanoke market. The few times I've walked by a tv thats been on, we get the same NRA ad over and over. Its a clip of Northam at a Dem conference saying he's proud to have an F from the NRA.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 11:14:47 PM »

Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMpKbQULZZ0
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length