Places in the US with no property taxes and excellent public schools?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:25:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Places in the US with no property taxes and excellent public schools?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Places in the US with no property taxes and excellent public schools?  (Read 1329 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »
« edited: January 04, 2017, 11:27:39 PM by Blue3 »

Are there places (towns, cities, counties, etc.) in the US with no property taxes and excellent public schools?

I've heard that the funding for public schools usually always comes from property taxes, so I'm interested in places that have gotten around this successfully.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 04:38:22 PM »

Something like 80% of funding for schools in MN comes from the state budget with property taxes being the majority of the rest with a small amount from the feds.

Income and sales taxes pay for the bulk of school funding in MN.  This is to ensure property poor districts don't suffer.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »

Something like 80% of funding for schools in MN comes from the state budget with property taxes being the majority of the rest with a small amount from the feds.

Income and sales taxes pay for the bulk of school funding in MN.  This is to ensure property poor districts don't suffer.
That's smart. RI just moved to allowing state funds for public education just a few years ago, before it was all totally dependent on local taxes.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 12:19:46 AM »

I've often said that school funding coming from property taxes explains a LOT about class in America.
Rjjr77
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Are there places (towns, cities, counties, etc.) in the US with no property taxes and excellent public schools?

I've heard that the funding for public schools usually always comes from property taxes, so I'm interested in places that have gotten around this successfully.
Homewood, Alabama, I'd bet most of the top 5 Alabama schools have lower property tax rates than worse schools in better ranked states
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies