Philly SHOCKED that new large soda tax is hurting consumers (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:28:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philly SHOCKED that new large soda tax is hurting consumers (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philly SHOCKED that new large soda tax is hurting consumers  (Read 2182 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »

You don't get to tell people what is or isn't good for them. Enjoying losing in 2020 for the same reasons you lost in 2016 Smiley
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:56:39 PM »

I find it funny that the collectivists are accusing the individualists of being triggered when it is the former group that is offended by the very idea that people should be allowed to make their own bad decisions.

You don't get to sit here and lecture people about how you think you know what is better for others. Again, that is why Trump won in the first place. Stop treating everyone as if you are the intelligent ones and they are the stupid ones. That type of intellectual arrogance is devastating for democracy and for freedom.

FTR: I have virtually cease drinking soda as not drinking it has helped me keep my sugar low (thankfully, I haven't had a serious health care, but I've had a few incidents in the past where it was running a little high) I also stopped eating pork for religious and health reasons and also cut down on my beef intake over the past 2 years (though, its gone up a bit since November). I made these decisions on my own, because I am free to make those decisions.

However, I still drink a lot alcohol, still eat a crapload of unhealthy foods  and have gained a ton of weight. are you going to try and force me to change those behaviors?  If your answer is yes then you truly think you are on a higher plateau then us "little people" and don't believe in any sort of freedom in any real sense of the term.

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »

I'm against all luxury/sin/"big brother loves you" taxes.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »

But smoking rates have gone way down.  That's a good thing.  Less people will die.

Smoking rates have (thankfully) gone down for many difference reasons. I don't know how much a luxury tax has impacted that, I'd say it's minimal.

Many people who are dependent on the nicotine addiction will just continue to buy cigarettes at the higher price, or worse of all, buy cigarettes Eric Garner-style (one a piece) where one could lace those street-sold cigarettes with who knows what.

I think the public health campaigns, the ban on cigarette deceptive advertising and the negative portrayal of cigarette use in movies (usually only unsavory characters in films now have cigarettes) have all done more to lower cigarette use.

What I find funny is that that the same people who argue against the drug war and for marijuana legalization want to use the same tactics they oppose in those cases for sodas and other items.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:02:21 PM »

The tax should raise the price of unhealthy food, disincentivising consumers from buying it, and be unused to subsidise fruit and vegetables,  making those cheaper and incentivesing people to buy those instead. Duh.

Except that's not how economics works and that has yet to ever actually happen. Unless you vastly spike the prices of certain products, in which case refer to the first part of my statement about economics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies