Pence hints only O-care repeal now,Doctors predict collapse/bailout of Insurance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:51:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pence hints only O-care repeal now,Doctors predict collapse/bailout of Insurance
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pence hints only O-care repeal now,Doctors predict collapse/bailout of Insurance  (Read 607 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:25:52 PM »
« edited: January 05, 2017, 04:28:24 PM by Shadows »

Fox & Friends: How would repealing ObamaCare affect your health care?

“The first order of business is to repeal and replace Obamacare,” Vice President-Elect Mike Pence told press at Capitol Hill on Wednesday. “We are also working on a series of executive orders that the President-Elect will put into effect to make sure there is an orderly transition during the period after we repeal ObamaCare.”

On Thursday’s Fox & Friends, Ainsley Earhardt spoke with radiologist Dr. Nicole Saphier, of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, to find out what this change means for you and your family.

“Without a doubt, something momentous is brewing in Washington now,” Saphier told Earhardt, adding that the majority of the repeal of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) will need to be done by legislative action, which has already started.

Although the ACA won’t necessarily be repealed, removing funding will accelerate its demise, Saphier said. Without the penalities and mandates, there is no guarantee on the subsidies and tax credits.
“Therefore, the few remaining insurance companies in the marketplace are going to quickly be pulling out, leaving patients with fewer coverage options and, worst-case scenario, we could have a collapse of the insurance market, which would potentially lead us to possible bailout from the federal level,”
Saphier said.

Source - Fox News
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 04:30:13 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2017, 04:32:08 PM by Shadows »

House Speaker Paul Ryan pledged today that Republicans will complete legislation to repeal and replace "Obamacare" this year.

A replacement plan will be written to allow new programs to be phased in later, Ryan said.

During an interview Wednesday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said, "I think it's imperative that Republicans do a replacement simultaneous to repeal.""If they don't," he said, "'Obamacare' continues to unravel." He added that the insurance marketplaces could collapse.

I think they are trying to repeal 1st & manage with individual programs/executive actions till a new replacement kicks in.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »

Since millions of people are going to end up losing health coverage and the benefits associated with the ACA, I can't help but say I hope the health insurance industry collapses and requires a bailout. Then Republicans get to be the party without an effective health care reform plan, who crashed the health insurance industry, and had to squander taxpayer dollars rescuing it. It's what they deserve.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:43:35 PM »

Since millions of people are going to end up losing health coverage and the benefits associated with the ACA, I can't help but say I hope the health insurance industry collapses and requires a bailout. Then Republicans get to be the party without an effective health care reform plan, who crashed the health insurance industry, and had to squander taxpayer dollars rescuing it. It's what they deserve.
I agree.  If the poor are getting screwed, then let the whole insurance system collapse.  When people like Muon lose their healthcare, maybe they will...you know...get a f**king clue.
And I will oppose any bailout.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »

Ironically letting the insurance companies die might actually lead to real Universal Health Care

I hope so.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 04:56:04 PM »

People will die if they lose their insurance, so it's not like a collapse is something to hope for.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »

People will die if they lose their insurance, so it's not like a collapse is something to hope for.

Maybe people will start living more healthy lives. You know, spend more time outside, exercising, drinking a lot of water, eating healthy food, getting the sun on your skin in moderation, keeping a positive attitude about life....

I don't wish that people die, but sometimes it's hardship that motivates people to take action.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »

Yes, shouldn't hope for such horrible stuff.

But in-case of any bailout I hope Dems oppose it on the backs of the already struggling middle class. Let some insurance firms go under & if needed do a Bernie & ask the billionaires like Trump to pay large parts for the bailout.

Campaign how Republicans intentionally did this & wants to screw the middle class by letting them pay for the bailout!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 05:03:17 PM »

This stuff will affect people I am close to directly.  And unless the fools that support a repeal are hurt just as much, there will be no recourse for those that will lose coverage under repeal.  So yeah, I've hardened my heart.  
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »

This stuff will affect people I am close to directly.  And unless the fools that support a repeal are hurt just as much, there will be no recourse for those that will lose coverage under repeal.  So yeah, I've hardened my heart.  

Same here. I don't want anyone to lose their health insurance, period. But if the GOP is going to take it away from our nation's most vulnerable, then everyone deserves to suffer as well. Maybe then they'll realize how incompetent Republican legislators are and how dysfunctional the health insurance industry is. I think at that point Democrats should be uncompromising in pushing the public option (and refusing any bailouts) as a way to let the big insurance providers who're collapsing to completely go bankrupt and convince Americans of how only the government can be a reliable and dependable source of health coverage for the middle, working, and lower classes.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »

Maybe people will start living more healthy lives. You know, spend more time outside, exercising, drinking a lot of water, eating healthy food, getting the sun on your skin in moderation, keeping a positive attitude about life....

I don't wish that people die, but sometimes it's hardship that motivates people to take action.

Not all health issues can be handled by those methods. Lots of people need medication and therapy. And of course you need doctor visits to know what is happening with your health.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 12:29:04 AM »

For once we agree on something, dear DrScholl. Smiley
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 12:38:53 AM »

All this shows is that Pence is running the show while the pussy grabber tweets
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 05:24:52 AM »

These are all good things (although the latter isn't really something that you can do yourself) but it does nothing for the people who are reliant on healthcare to cover things that your preventative advise can't prevent - like I live a very healthy life but still have asthma, there's literally nothing I could have done to avoid getting it - I'm lucky that I have the NHS to cover all of the costs of treatment; which isn't a whole lot - a yearly Doctors appointment to monitor it plus a supply of two different types of inhalers.  There are others who rely on heathcare to cover stuff that need a lot more care than that; and if they lose their insurance then they are screwed even with your healthy living advice.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 07:18:38 AM »

The way I would go about repealing Obamcare if I were the GOP would be the following: 

Obamacare is an attempt to simulate a single payer system within the context of a private insurance system since it was so hard to change that structure.  What the GOP should do is to simulate a fully private insurance system (like car insurance) within the context of Obamacare structure since it is hard to change the structure.  That will involve

1) Keeping the mandate since in the world of cars you cannot drive without car insurance
2) The current minimum standard for an Obamacare plan to so high it is really a subsidy system from the higher income and healthy to the lower income and non-healthy which does not take place in car insurance.  One way to fix this is through executive action change the minimum Obamacare plan to something that covers a lot less things and make it look more like a Catastrophic health insurance.
3) The current community rating aspects of Obamacare also creates subsidies which make it more like a single payer system.  This is has to be reversed.  There are loopholes to achieve this.  Insurance companies can charge more for someone being a smoker (up to 50% more.)  Make changes through executive action to makes this 50% higher (like 300%) and add other health conditions to this list in addition to smoking.  This will simulate the destruction of community rating and create a private insurance system where the insured that uses up more services will need to pay greater premiums (just like drivers that get in accidents will eventually pay more car insurance premiums than those that do not) leaving the vast majority of healthy people power lower premiums under the Obamacare system.
4) Cut off all federal aid for medicare expansion.  Let the States decide if the want this and pay for it.  If a healthier lower income population is better for the overall economy and as a result tax revenues then said state would be wise to pursue this.  If said state cannot afford it then it should and will not.
5) Get rid of subsides for Obamacare premiums and replace it with tax credits, allow insurance companies to sell across state lines, etc etec (the old GOP talking points for years now)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »

...or maybe insurance will become the next credit system where people who pay, pay and people who don't declare bankruptcy and the Government bails out.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 08:57:33 AM »

The way I would go about repealing Obamcare if I were the GOP would be the following:  

Obamacare is an attempt to simulate a single payer system within the context of a private insurance system since it was so hard to change that structure.  What the GOP should do is to simulate a fully private insurance system (like car insurance) within the context of Obamacare structure since it is hard to change the structure.  That will involve

1) Keeping the mandate since in the world of cars you cannot drive without car insurance
2) The current minimum standard for an Obamacare plan to so high it is really a subsidy system from the higher income and healthy to the lower income and non-healthy which does not take place in car insurance.  One way to fix this is through executive action change the minimum Obamacare plan to something that covers a lot less things and make it look more like a Catastrophic health insurance.
3) The current community rating aspects of Obamacare also creates subsidies which make it more like a single payer system.  This is has to be reversed.  There are loopholes to achieve this.  Insurance companies can charge more for someone being a smoker (up to 50% more.)  Make changes through executive action to makes this 50% higher (like 300%) and add other health conditions to this list in addition to smoking.  This will simulate the destruction of community rating and create a private insurance system where the insured that uses up more services will need to pay greater premiums (just like drivers that get in accidents will eventually pay more car insurance premiums than those that do not) leaving the vast majority of healthy people power lower premiums under the Obamacare system.
4) Cut off all federal aid for medicare expansion.  Let the States decide if the want this and pay for it.  If a healthier lower income population is better for the overall economy and as a result tax revenues then said state would be wise to pursue this.  If said state cannot afford it then it should and will not.
5) Get rid of subsides for Obamacare premiums and replace it with tax credits, allow insurance companies to sell across state lines, etc etec (the old GOP talking points for years now)

How do the impecunious pay for the cost of care that is below the number that gets one into the catastrophic zone?  There is no escaping that if everyone is to receive adequate medical care, including those who cannot afford the premiums to have insurance to cover such care, it is going to cost the taxpayers money - a lot of money. There is no escape. The taxpayers are just going to have to suck it up, because denying such care is DOA. The public square will not tolerate that, nor should it. To reduce the degree of the cost to taxpayers, one needs to means test the sh*t out of the subsidy program. Means testing is the way the responsible center right gets the job done. The Tories do that in the UK, and it is time, indeed long past the time,  that the Pubs got the memo in the US.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »

If the Feds bail out the insurance industry I'm going to go ape sh**t.  Just putting that out there.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »

If the Feds bail out the insurance industry I'm going to go ape sh**t.  Just putting that out there.

It's good that Omaha is far away from the Hudson Valley then.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 09:34:09 AM »

It's good that Omaha is far away from the Hudson Valley then.

A perfect microcosm of the Republican Party.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »

Let's not listen to anything the medical lobby says. They're far more dishonest than insurance or pharmaceutical executives.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies