I've Seen America: If Al Gore Ran In 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:50:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  I've Seen America: If Al Gore Ran In 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: I've Seen America: If Al Gore Ran In 2008  (Read 8948 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »

GETTING STARTED
Speculation of Gore 2008 rose heading into the 2008 primaries​
All this led to speculation that Al Gore would try another run. But Gore was reluctant. Tipper was too, though she refused to say never.[1] Gore was convinced, as late as the end of 2006, that politics was not for him anymore. Yet, many Democrats disagreed, and environmentalists, donors and party leaders made efforts to recruit Gore in the primaries. Polls showed Gore getting into double-digits, though he would face formidable competition. Hillary Clinton was running, and she was regarded as the frontrunner. Gore did not have warm feelings for the Clintons, feeling let down by them in the White House and disdained them as a melodramatic, cynical mess. He knew they would not be beaten easily. The prospect of a Hill-Bill restoration was not one Al Gore remotely enjoyed. Talking to advisers and party insiders, Gore got the sense that he had a path to victory, but it would be narrow. He could run as the liberal candidate, Hillary Clinton was weak with the base, and win the nomination from there. Iowa looked like it would be good, he'd won a landslide there in the 2000 primaries, while New Hampshire was more uncertain. Donna Brazile, his 2000 campaign manager, raised the historical precedent of Richard Nixon. Nixon had lost a bitterly close election, and he had made mistakes afterwards. At a low in 1964, Nixon reinvigorated himself with service to the party and his ideals, and when things went south for the Democrat administration Nixon saw the chance to make a comeback. He was nominated in 1968 relatively easily and won the general election. It could be done again. Potential candidate Senator Barack Obama of Illinois consulted with Gore to gauge his intentions. When Obama left, he thought This guy's actually gonna run. Both Obama and Al knew that an Obama candidacy would have little chance if Gore ran and so Obama would likely step aside this year if that happened. Gore wanted to run, but Tipper was still reluctant. It was a familiar trope in politics. But she came around. They'd done it twice before. Third time lucky. And so that's how Al Gore got to yes.

[1]This is the PoD, that Tipper and Al don't rule it out and they start to warm to the idea.
arjavrawal
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:46:00 PM »

Been following this closely on AH.com. Is it gonna be the same TL?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »

Been following this closely on AH.com. Is it gonna be the same TL?

Yes
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »

Awesome! Glad you're bringing your timeline here.

Thanks!
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »

Very interesting! I'll be following.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:21:49 AM »

LIFTOFF

Democratic Party presidential candidate speaks at a rally in South Carolina​
Hillary Clinton was the biggest threat to Al Gore's bid for the White House. The two big dogs soon clashed head to head. Clinton sought to take the mantle of the change candidate herself, declaring that "Al Gore is the past. I am the candidate who will change America and take this country forward." The Clintons also clashed with Gore's assertion that he had been key to the prosperity of the 1990s, when Gore said in an interview on March 23 "I would like to correct the record and remind you that in the 1990s when my policies and agenda were implemented the economy was booming and I was integral to that achievement in my role as Vice-President. I think we need to build on that example and move forwrad from it." Bill Clinton said in an interview "i don't think Al took too much of a role in the administration, certainly not compared to Hillary. Vice-Presidents aren't that important, and you see Hillary was far more important, it was called Hillarycare after all, not Gorecare." Gore fired back "Hillary Clinton's record, in my view, is flawed. She voted for the Iraq War, she supported it and I opposed it. That was her decision, and her judgement. But I have to say, it was the wrong decision, it as bad judgement." Gore and Hillary had a similar healthcare plan, both pushing for a similar version of Hillarycare from the 1990s. Gore however attacked Clinton's leadership of the Hillarycare effort in the 1990s, saying "When Hillary tried to pass healthcare reform in the 1990s, it failed. And we need a President who can not just lay out lofty goals but accomplish them. Looking at her record, Hillary would not be that President." The primary was set to get more heated as spring went to summer and the debates started. Hillary had the edge in the polls, a poll on April 18 had Clinton at 39%, Gore at 29%, Edwards at 21%, Biden at 2%, Richardson at 2% and Kucinich at 1%. Yet, Gore had liftoff. Gore 2008 was up and running, and they looked good in the states they needed to win. Iowa especially was taking a shine to Gore 2008. They could pull this thing off yet.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »

FEELING THE HEAT

Gore hits the campaign trail in Iowa​
Gore was getting more and more support from big players in the party. The Clinton machine was formidable, but not invulnerable. Several Democratic Senators endorsed Gore in the summer. Claire McCaskill of Missouri was one. In August, Gore got a useful endorsement, when progressive hero Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold endorsed Gore, praising his 'courageous' opposition to the Iraq War. That same month 2004 nominee John Kerry endorsed Al Gore, rebuffing his own running mate from 204. Big money was flowing into the Gore coffers, enabling them to fund a national campaign operation to rival Clinton's. But lingering doubts remained about Gore, including his own weaknesses on the stump and his baggage from the past. Voters were also wary of the Clinton-Gore war, both candidates had baggage from the 1990s and drama that many did not want to replay. Indeed in the summer the biggest beneficiary in the polls was not Gore or Clinton but John Edwards, who snagged a lead in Iowa polls. A Des Moines register poll showed Gore at third place, 6 behind Edwards and 2 behind Clinton. That result would be disastrous and kill his campaign. Gore was determined not to let it happen.

Clinton was also solidifying her lead nationally and in key states. Several members of Gore's campaign team expressed concern they were writing off black voters to Clinton. A new poll showed Clinton leading Gore with black voters 48-28. The Iowa strategy was concerning, Clinton was leading in New Hampshire, Florida and South Carolina. Gore remained convinced that if he could get a win in Iowa he could get a win elsewhere too. Clinton was leading with women, understandable but the size of her lead was concerning. Focus groups showed Gore had high negatives, while they thought of him as the guy who should have won in 2000, that didn't mean they thought he was the guy who should win in 2008. His progressive bona fides and climate change activism were admired, but there were doubts about his ability to win a general election. Hillary's argument that he was a relic of the past was also sinking in, and many felt that he was a throwback to the past, while Clinton was in fact the change candidate with a vision for the future. At the same time they were still open to Gore if he could prove his ability to win and there was distrust of Hillary Clinton and 'Clinton fatigue' lying just below the surface. "We have work to do" Donna Brazile told Gore "Let's do it".
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »

Thoughts on this TL so far?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 06:40:06 PM »

Interesting timeline....   
Oppo

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »

Good luck on Atlas! Love the timeline on AH.com.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 07:27:09 PM »

Thanks. You're here too! Good luck. Not sure if the Romney TL is coming here but glad you're here.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 02:43:27 PM »

THE FALL OF HILLARY
Al Gore accepts the Nobel Peace Prize​
Al Gore received an unexpected gift on October 12, 2007. The Nobel Committee awarded him the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in fighting climate change, linking it to peace by warning that climate change would be a destabilizing force that would encourage and exacerbate conflict globally. It said that "Al Gore has for a long time been one of the world’s leading environmentalist politicians", and described him as "probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted." In conclusion, it said the Nobel Committee was "seeking to contribute to a sharper focus on the processes and decisions that appear to be necessary to protect the world’s future climate, and thereby to reduce the threat to the security of mankind. Action is necessary now, before climate change moves beyond man’s control." It was a major boost for Gore, who had the focus on his strengths and had an award he could use not just for his activism but also for his presidential bid. The Nobel committee's decision was not without controversy, with Republicans rejecting their rationale that climate change meant Gore deserved the prize, and other Democratic contenders arguing it was an inappropriate interference in their election. It gave Gore an unprecedented boost, and it was reflected in the polls. New national polls showed him rising several points in the polls, some even had him tied with Clinton and in Iowa Gore snagged a slight lead. And that was before the debate.

Hillary Clinton wilted in the October 2007 debate​
Hillary Clinton hoped the debate on October 30 would end Gore's 'Nobel bounce'. However, instead she took a battering. She was the frontrunner of the race, just. Going onto that stage, the other candidates smelled blood in the water. They went for her like sharks, to deal a mortal blow. In the first question, Gore was asked about his statement that Hillary 'talks like a Republican on foreign policy'. Gore replied "I have to say, I think that is correct. She voted for the war in Iraq and for George W Bush's foreign policy. And now she tries to waffle on her positions. But she does talk like a Republican and I have to say, she just doesn't show the courage necessary to make the change we need and reverse the failure of this administration." When Hillary said "I am the change candidate" Gore interrupted " No, you're not. Hillary Clinton is a candidate the Republicans would love to take on. And if she wins, we will see more gridlock and partisanship in Washington, not less. We'll see classic scandals and half-truths and we won't get the real change we need, the change that can reverse the failure of this administration, the change that can end the rise of the oceans and end the rise of inequality in our society. We won't get a peaceful, prosperous America for all Americans under Hillary Clinton. We will under me." The kicker came in the final minutes of the debate. Clinton was asked on New York Governor Spitzer's plan to give driver's licences to illegal immigrants. She pivoted towards the need for comprehensive immigration reform, and then said "I did not say it should be done, but I recognise why Governor Spitzer is trying to do it." Chris Dodd interrupted "Wait a minute! You said yes, you thought it made sense to do it." Clinton tried to duck "No I didn't, Chris." The stage erupted into argument, and then Tim Russert asked Clinton simply if she supported Spitzer's plan or not. Clinton continued to speak, but no answer on the question. Her attempts to duck, weave and pivot were unravelling in real-time. Gore smiled, watching her struggle. "It was a simple question, Senator. Are you for it or against it? If you can't give us a simple answer to a simple question, how can we trust you?" Gore knew he had won the debate. Now he got to sit back and watch the media fallout as Clinton's answer was relitigated and her campaign still struggled to respond.

Gore rallies with cheering supporters in Iowa after a strong performance at the Jefferson-Jackson dinner​
The Jefferson-Jackson dinner was a long tradition in Democratic Party politics. It was a fundraising event for the Iowa Democratic Party. The more tickets the campaigns bought, the more supporters they could bring. Gore's organisations for the JJ Dinner outmatched Clinton's. They recognized the dinner's importance, and beat the Clinton team to it, snatching the prime seats at the dinner. Clinton gave a forceful speech, vowing to "turn up the heat on Republicans and Washington special interests. Let's turn up the heat and bring change to America!" Gore's was better. He gave a speech even his harshest detractors begrudgingly admitted was charismatic. "We see a world that needs changing. We see a world on fire, a world where special interests the taken over our government, a world where our planet is going off the brink. And we think, we must do better. We can't afford to be half-hearted about the problems we face. We need solutions. And we see a world that needs changing, and we go and change it. We get out and vote! We remove the special interests and those who have failed us. And we get change we can believe in! Your vote will change the world. We can usher in a new, brighter era for our country. Who's ready to vote for it!" The crowd cheered. Al Gore had done it. The fall of 2007 may well turn out to be the fall of Hillary Clinton. And Al Gore was coming back.
Oppo

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »

Thanks. You're here too! Good luck. Not sure if the Romney TL is coming here but glad you're here.
I've been lurking for a while, and got an account a few months ago.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 05:19:01 PM »

Love it! Will wait for any update. By the way, you said something about a Romney timeline in another site... could you link it?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 05:26:28 PM »

Love it! Will wait for any update. By the way, you said something about a Romney timeline in another site... could you link it?

Yes, but it got locked there because of some rule about image numbers.
Here you go:
http://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/no-apology-a-history-of-the-romney-administration.406251/#post-13873226
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Democratic Party presidential contender John Edwards campaigns ahead of the Iowa caucuses​
Gore's lead was not safe though. Hillary Clinton was losing momentum in Iowa, but a new threat, in candidate John Edwards. emerged. Gore was dismissive of Edwards, viewing him as 'delusional' and 'an empty suit'. Still, there were fears in the Gore campaign that the North Carolinian was making a late surge, as he had in 2004. If the two frontrunners proved too much of a turnoff, Edwards hoped to snatch an upset victory. In the eyes of the media Iowa was lean Gore but either Edwards or Clinton could still pull out a victory. On December 18, Edwards was hit with a bombshell as The National Enquirer alleged that he had fathered a child in an affair with a woman named Rielle Hunter. The Edwards campaign quickly shot down the story, with Edwards aide Andrew Young coming forward as the father. It looked as if Edwards still had a chance. The Gore campaign's internal polls showed a Gore lead, with Gore at 31%. Edwards at 27% and Clinton at 26%. However, the trendlines were moving in the wrong direction. While Clinton was stagnant, Edwards was rising. Gore remained confident he would win, telling Tipper "We're gonna pull this thing off." The Gore campaign's operation on the ground was the best, and with Iowa's caucus system that could be the deciding factor. The Register released its much vaunted poll a few days before the caucuses. Gore was at 33%, Edwards was at 26% and Clinton at 26%.

The results were coming in and they were looking good for Al Gore. It wasn't particularly close. Gore was soon giving his victory speech. "Tonight, you voted for change" Gore said "to turn the page on this failed administration and bring in a new direction for our country. Let's go win this election!"
Iowa caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-37% 16 delegates
Hillary Clinton-30% 15 delegates
John Edwards-30% 14 delegates

It was a resounding victory for Al Gore. And now it was onto New Hampshire, and hopefully the White House.
TC9078
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 05:39:50 PM »

Pericles, we were thinking of copying and pasting the new updates from here to alternatehistory.com. With your permission of course.
What he said.
PokemonMaster
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 06:17:23 PM »

It's me from alternatehistory.com! I can't wait to see this timeline continued!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »

Pericles, we were thinking of copying and pasting the new updates from here to alternatehistory.com. With your permission of course.

Great idea. 100% support. Do it.
Israel
Rookie
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 07:32:36 PM »

Great timeline Pericles!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »

THE BOUNCE

Al Gore was on a roll in New Hampshire​
The polls showed him in the lead. Iowa had gone for him. New Hampshire too was likely for him. Across the nation he was rising into the lead. His opponent was crumbling. It looked like Al Gore had this thing, and this time he would win. The mood of the crowds was upbeat, enthusiastic. The Clintons were firing at him, Bill Clinton too was in the field. But the clock was faster, and the polls were showing him in the lead. Sure, the lead was narrow. Sure, Clinton could pull it off. He was confident he would win New Hampshire. Gore was now the inevitable one. However, there was the wildcard of the events in the cafe that could disrupt his momentum. Gore was pressing his message, voters wanted change, a break from Bush and he would deliver it. Surely, he could win this?

No, he didn't. The results came in, and they looked good for Clinton. She was beating the polls, and beating Gore. Gore soon realize things weren't going as planned. "Well" he said, disappointed "it's onto Nevada."
New Hampshire primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-40% 10 delegates
Al Gore-38% 9 delegates
John Edwards-15% 3 delegates
Israel
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 09:26:05 PM »

Keep up the good work!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »

Thanks. You've already read this though, haven't you? Also, the Romney TL is here. I promised I would do the Romney TL and I would do it my way, I intend to fulfill that promise, even if I am not currently on AH.com.
Israel
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2017, 09:36:06 AM »

Thanks. You've already read this though, haven't you? Also, the Romney TL is here. I promised I would do the Romney TL and I would do it my way, I intend to fulfill that promise, even if I am not currently on AH.com.

Good!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies