I've Seen America: If Al Gore Ran In 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:08:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  I've Seen America: If Al Gore Ran In 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I've Seen America: If Al Gore Ran In 2008  (Read 8957 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« on: January 05, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »

GETTING STARTED
Speculation of Gore 2008 rose heading into the 2008 primaries​
All this led to speculation that Al Gore would try another run. But Gore was reluctant. Tipper was too, though she refused to say never.[1] Gore was convinced, as late as the end of 2006, that politics was not for him anymore. Yet, many Democrats disagreed, and environmentalists, donors and party leaders made efforts to recruit Gore in the primaries. Polls showed Gore getting into double-digits, though he would face formidable competition. Hillary Clinton was running, and she was regarded as the frontrunner. Gore did not have warm feelings for the Clintons, feeling let down by them in the White House and disdained them as a melodramatic, cynical mess. He knew they would not be beaten easily. The prospect of a Hill-Bill restoration was not one Al Gore remotely enjoyed. Talking to advisers and party insiders, Gore got the sense that he had a path to victory, but it would be narrow. He could run as the liberal candidate, Hillary Clinton was weak with the base, and win the nomination from there. Iowa looked like it would be good, he'd won a landslide there in the 2000 primaries, while New Hampshire was more uncertain. Donna Brazile, his 2000 campaign manager, raised the historical precedent of Richard Nixon. Nixon had lost a bitterly close election, and he had made mistakes afterwards. At a low in 1964, Nixon reinvigorated himself with service to the party and his ideals, and when things went south for the Democrat administration Nixon saw the chance to make a comeback. He was nominated in 1968 relatively easily and won the general election. It could be done again. Potential candidate Senator Barack Obama of Illinois consulted with Gore to gauge his intentions. When Obama left, he thought This guy's actually gonna run. Both Obama and Al knew that an Obama candidacy would have little chance if Gore ran and so Obama would likely step aside this year if that happened. Gore wanted to run, but Tipper was still reluctant. It was a familiar trope in politics. But she came around. They'd done it twice before. Third time lucky. And so that's how Al Gore got to yes.

[1]This is the PoD, that Tipper and Al don't rule it out and they start to warm to the idea.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »

Been following this closely on AH.com. Is it gonna be the same TL?

Yes
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »

Awesome! Glad you're bringing your timeline here.

Thanks!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 04:21:49 AM »

LIFTOFF

Democratic Party presidential candidate speaks at a rally in South Carolina​
Hillary Clinton was the biggest threat to Al Gore's bid for the White House. The two big dogs soon clashed head to head. Clinton sought to take the mantle of the change candidate herself, declaring that "Al Gore is the past. I am the candidate who will change America and take this country forward." The Clintons also clashed with Gore's assertion that he had been key to the prosperity of the 1990s, when Gore said in an interview on March 23 "I would like to correct the record and remind you that in the 1990s when my policies and agenda were implemented the economy was booming and I was integral to that achievement in my role as Vice-President. I think we need to build on that example and move forwrad from it." Bill Clinton said in an interview "i don't think Al took too much of a role in the administration, certainly not compared to Hillary. Vice-Presidents aren't that important, and you see Hillary was far more important, it was called Hillarycare after all, not Gorecare." Gore fired back "Hillary Clinton's record, in my view, is flawed. She voted for the Iraq War, she supported it and I opposed it. That was her decision, and her judgement. But I have to say, it was the wrong decision, it as bad judgement." Gore and Hillary had a similar healthcare plan, both pushing for a similar version of Hillarycare from the 1990s. Gore however attacked Clinton's leadership of the Hillarycare effort in the 1990s, saying "When Hillary tried to pass healthcare reform in the 1990s, it failed. And we need a President who can not just lay out lofty goals but accomplish them. Looking at her record, Hillary would not be that President." The primary was set to get more heated as spring went to summer and the debates started. Hillary had the edge in the polls, a poll on April 18 had Clinton at 39%, Gore at 29%, Edwards at 21%, Biden at 2%, Richardson at 2% and Kucinich at 1%. Yet, Gore had liftoff. Gore 2008 was up and running, and they looked good in the states they needed to win. Iowa especially was taking a shine to Gore 2008. They could pull this thing off yet.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »

FEELING THE HEAT

Gore hits the campaign trail in Iowa​
Gore was getting more and more support from big players in the party. The Clinton machine was formidable, but not invulnerable. Several Democratic Senators endorsed Gore in the summer. Claire McCaskill of Missouri was one. In August, Gore got a useful endorsement, when progressive hero Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold endorsed Gore, praising his 'courageous' opposition to the Iraq War. That same month 2004 nominee John Kerry endorsed Al Gore, rebuffing his own running mate from 204. Big money was flowing into the Gore coffers, enabling them to fund a national campaign operation to rival Clinton's. But lingering doubts remained about Gore, including his own weaknesses on the stump and his baggage from the past. Voters were also wary of the Clinton-Gore war, both candidates had baggage from the 1990s and drama that many did not want to replay. Indeed in the summer the biggest beneficiary in the polls was not Gore or Clinton but John Edwards, who snagged a lead in Iowa polls. A Des Moines register poll showed Gore at third place, 6 behind Edwards and 2 behind Clinton. That result would be disastrous and kill his campaign. Gore was determined not to let it happen.

Clinton was also solidifying her lead nationally and in key states. Several members of Gore's campaign team expressed concern they were writing off black voters to Clinton. A new poll showed Clinton leading Gore with black voters 48-28. The Iowa strategy was concerning, Clinton was leading in New Hampshire, Florida and South Carolina. Gore remained convinced that if he could get a win in Iowa he could get a win elsewhere too. Clinton was leading with women, understandable but the size of her lead was concerning. Focus groups showed Gore had high negatives, while they thought of him as the guy who should have won in 2000, that didn't mean they thought he was the guy who should win in 2008. His progressive bona fides and climate change activism were admired, but there were doubts about his ability to win a general election. Hillary's argument that he was a relic of the past was also sinking in, and many felt that he was a throwback to the past, while Clinton was in fact the change candidate with a vision for the future. At the same time they were still open to Gore if he could prove his ability to win and there was distrust of Hillary Clinton and 'Clinton fatigue' lying just below the surface. "We have work to do" Donna Brazile told Gore "Let's do it".
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »

Thoughts on this TL so far?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 07:27:09 PM »

Good luck on Atlas! Love the timeline on AH.com.

Thanks. You're here too! Good luck. Not sure if the Romney TL is coming here but glad you're here.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 02:43:27 PM »

THE FALL OF HILLARY
Al Gore accepts the Nobel Peace Prize​
Al Gore received an unexpected gift on October 12, 2007. The Nobel Committee awarded him the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in fighting climate change, linking it to peace by warning that climate change would be a destabilizing force that would encourage and exacerbate conflict globally. It said that "Al Gore has for a long time been one of the world’s leading environmentalist politicians", and described him as "probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted." In conclusion, it said the Nobel Committee was "seeking to contribute to a sharper focus on the processes and decisions that appear to be necessary to protect the world’s future climate, and thereby to reduce the threat to the security of mankind. Action is necessary now, before climate change moves beyond man’s control." It was a major boost for Gore, who had the focus on his strengths and had an award he could use not just for his activism but also for his presidential bid. The Nobel committee's decision was not without controversy, with Republicans rejecting their rationale that climate change meant Gore deserved the prize, and other Democratic contenders arguing it was an inappropriate interference in their election. It gave Gore an unprecedented boost, and it was reflected in the polls. New national polls showed him rising several points in the polls, some even had him tied with Clinton and in Iowa Gore snagged a slight lead. And that was before the debate.

Hillary Clinton wilted in the October 2007 debate​
Hillary Clinton hoped the debate on October 30 would end Gore's 'Nobel bounce'. However, instead she took a battering. She was the frontrunner of the race, just. Going onto that stage, the other candidates smelled blood in the water. They went for her like sharks, to deal a mortal blow. In the first question, Gore was asked about his statement that Hillary 'talks like a Republican on foreign policy'. Gore replied "I have to say, I think that is correct. She voted for the war in Iraq and for George W Bush's foreign policy. And now she tries to waffle on her positions. But she does talk like a Republican and I have to say, she just doesn't show the courage necessary to make the change we need and reverse the failure of this administration." When Hillary said "I am the change candidate" Gore interrupted " No, you're not. Hillary Clinton is a candidate the Republicans would love to take on. And if she wins, we will see more gridlock and partisanship in Washington, not less. We'll see classic scandals and half-truths and we won't get the real change we need, the change that can reverse the failure of this administration, the change that can end the rise of the oceans and end the rise of inequality in our society. We won't get a peaceful, prosperous America for all Americans under Hillary Clinton. We will under me." The kicker came in the final minutes of the debate. Clinton was asked on New York Governor Spitzer's plan to give driver's licences to illegal immigrants. She pivoted towards the need for comprehensive immigration reform, and then said "I did not say it should be done, but I recognise why Governor Spitzer is trying to do it." Chris Dodd interrupted "Wait a minute! You said yes, you thought it made sense to do it." Clinton tried to duck "No I didn't, Chris." The stage erupted into argument, and then Tim Russert asked Clinton simply if she supported Spitzer's plan or not. Clinton continued to speak, but no answer on the question. Her attempts to duck, weave and pivot were unravelling in real-time. Gore smiled, watching her struggle. "It was a simple question, Senator. Are you for it or against it? If you can't give us a simple answer to a simple question, how can we trust you?" Gore knew he had won the debate. Now he got to sit back and watch the media fallout as Clinton's answer was relitigated and her campaign still struggled to respond.

Gore rallies with cheering supporters in Iowa after a strong performance at the Jefferson-Jackson dinner​
The Jefferson-Jackson dinner was a long tradition in Democratic Party politics. It was a fundraising event for the Iowa Democratic Party. The more tickets the campaigns bought, the more supporters they could bring. Gore's organisations for the JJ Dinner outmatched Clinton's. They recognized the dinner's importance, and beat the Clinton team to it, snatching the prime seats at the dinner. Clinton gave a forceful speech, vowing to "turn up the heat on Republicans and Washington special interests. Let's turn up the heat and bring change to America!" Gore's was better. He gave a speech even his harshest detractors begrudgingly admitted was charismatic. "We see a world that needs changing. We see a world on fire, a world where special interests the taken over our government, a world where our planet is going off the brink. And we think, we must do better. We can't afford to be half-hearted about the problems we face. We need solutions. And we see a world that needs changing, and we go and change it. We get out and vote! We remove the special interests and those who have failed us. And we get change we can believe in! Your vote will change the world. We can usher in a new, brighter era for our country. Who's ready to vote for it!" The crowd cheered. Al Gore had done it. The fall of 2007 may well turn out to be the fall of Hillary Clinton. And Al Gore was coming back.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 05:26:28 PM »

Love it! Will wait for any update. By the way, you said something about a Romney timeline in another site... could you link it?

Yes, but it got locked there because of some rule about image numbers.
Here you go:
http://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/no-apology-a-history-of-the-romney-administration.406251/#post-13873226
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Democratic Party presidential contender John Edwards campaigns ahead of the Iowa caucuses​
Gore's lead was not safe though. Hillary Clinton was losing momentum in Iowa, but a new threat, in candidate John Edwards. emerged. Gore was dismissive of Edwards, viewing him as 'delusional' and 'an empty suit'. Still, there were fears in the Gore campaign that the North Carolinian was making a late surge, as he had in 2004. If the two frontrunners proved too much of a turnoff, Edwards hoped to snatch an upset victory. In the eyes of the media Iowa was lean Gore but either Edwards or Clinton could still pull out a victory. On December 18, Edwards was hit with a bombshell as The National Enquirer alleged that he had fathered a child in an affair with a woman named Rielle Hunter. The Edwards campaign quickly shot down the story, with Edwards aide Andrew Young coming forward as the father. It looked as if Edwards still had a chance. The Gore campaign's internal polls showed a Gore lead, with Gore at 31%. Edwards at 27% and Clinton at 26%. However, the trendlines were moving in the wrong direction. While Clinton was stagnant, Edwards was rising. Gore remained confident he would win, telling Tipper "We're gonna pull this thing off." The Gore campaign's operation on the ground was the best, and with Iowa's caucus system that could be the deciding factor. The Register released its much vaunted poll a few days before the caucuses. Gore was at 33%, Edwards was at 26% and Clinton at 26%.

The results were coming in and they were looking good for Al Gore. It wasn't particularly close. Gore was soon giving his victory speech. "Tonight, you voted for change" Gore said "to turn the page on this failed administration and bring in a new direction for our country. Let's go win this election!"
Iowa caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-37% 16 delegates
Hillary Clinton-30% 15 delegates
John Edwards-30% 14 delegates

It was a resounding victory for Al Gore. And now it was onto New Hampshire, and hopefully the White House.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »

Pericles, we were thinking of copying and pasting the new updates from here to alternatehistory.com. With your permission of course.

Great idea. 100% support. Do it.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »

THE BOUNCE

Al Gore was on a roll in New Hampshire​
The polls showed him in the lead. Iowa had gone for him. New Hampshire too was likely for him. Across the nation he was rising into the lead. His opponent was crumbling. It looked like Al Gore had this thing, and this time he would win. The mood of the crowds was upbeat, enthusiastic. The Clintons were firing at him, Bill Clinton too was in the field. But the clock was faster, and the polls were showing him in the lead. Sure, the lead was narrow. Sure, Clinton could pull it off. He was confident he would win New Hampshire. Gore was now the inevitable one. However, there was the wildcard of the events in the cafe that could disrupt his momentum. Gore was pressing his message, voters wanted change, a break from Bush and he would deliver it. Surely, he could win this?

No, he didn't. The results came in, and they looked good for Clinton. She was beating the polls, and beating Gore. Gore soon realize things weren't going as planned. "Well" he said, disappointed "it's onto Nevada."
New Hampshire primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-40% 10 delegates
Al Gore-38% 9 delegates
John Edwards-15% 3 delegates
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »

Thanks. You've already read this though, haven't you? Also, the Romney TL is here. I promised I would do the Romney TL and I would do it my way, I intend to fulfill that promise, even if I am not currently on AH.com.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 03:03:46 AM »

GOING SOUTH

Hillary and Bill Clinton campaigning in South Carolina​
The South Carolina primary was looking good for Hillary Clinton. A poll on January 21 showed her in the lead, 48% Clinton to 36% Gore. Edwards endorsement led to a surge in support for Gore, but Clinton was still in the lead. The majority African-american electorate enthusiastically backed Clinton. African-Americans had always backed the Clintons, Bill Clinton had even been referred to by some as 'the first black President.' All Gore was hoping for was to cut into her lead with that demographic so she would not be able to ride to victory with African-American and minority votes. Gore decided to spent just January 21 and January 22 in South Carolina, for the debate at Myrtle Beach and the next day. Then Gore could move onto Super Tuesday states such as California and Illinois. The Myrtle Beach debate was dirty and brutal. Clinton started off reprimanding Gore for "attacking President Clinton's record in the 1990s, and attacking his character, Given what he has given you and given this country, I find that shameful and wrong." Gore replied "Senator Clinton, you love to look back to the 1990s. I liked the 1990s, they were a good time. But we can't be looking back, we need to look forward to the 21st century. And what's your vision for our future, Seantor? I have one, you don't. While you were voting for George Bush's war and his agenda, I was out there fighting for climate action, against the war, for a progressive vision for our country." The crowd oohed and aahed, they were getting the death match they wanted. Gore fired back at Clinton "This is the type of politics they engage in. Politics for its own sake. It doesn't matter what the facts are. It didn't matter that I won Nevada, because it was somehow rigged. Climate change, the Iraq War, a stagnant middle-class, it doesn't matter to them, they are in it for themselves. And I am fighting for a positive vision and future for our country." Clinton rebutted "You're the opposite of the future, Al." Gore fired back "Your future isn't my future, Hillary. And, unlike you, my future is a future for the American people, a future we can be proud of." "Look at my record" Clinton replied "When I was there in the 1990s" Gore interrupted "You failed. I was there." After the debate, Gore felt good. "I really got my point across there, didn't I?"

Gore left South Carolina soon afterwards, leaving surrogates to campaign there. In Illinois he held rallies with Senator Barack Obama. National polling showed a tight race. The RCP polling average on the 25th had Gore getting 41.6% to Clinton's 44.1% nationally. Gore was not ready to lift up his mood. South Carolina was still going for Hillary, and it was looking like a wipeout. Bill Clinton was attacking him, diminishing his record and career. Polls showed Gore heading for a potential curbstomping with African-Americans. It hurt. However, the big picture was looking bright. Super Tuesday was closing in, and Gore was well-positioned there. South Carolina would be an initial test of how strong his position really was.
South Carolina primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-59% 27 delegates
Al Gore-41% 18 delegates

Delegate count before Super Tuesday
Hillary Clinton-63
Al Gore-57
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 03:11:42 AM »

SUPER TUESDAY
Senator Hillary Clinton campaigns in Tennessee for Super Tuesday, the day that could make or break her candidacy​
The final days saw a frentic rush across the country for both candidates. Polls showed a late surge for Gore. Endorsements started to flow in for the Gore camp. The mood in Goreland was nervous, the last time they had been an extremely close election it had not come out well. Still, Gore could sense in the crowds, they thought he was going to win, they were hopeful. Super Tuesday, on February 5, was the test.
Alabama primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-55% 28 delegates
Al Gore-43% 24 delegates
Alaska caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-65% 8 delegates
Hillary Clinton-34% 5 delegates
American Samoa caucus-Democratic
Al Gore-52% 2 delegates
Hillary Clinton-47% 1 delegate
Arizona primary-Democratic
Al Gore-47% 29 delegates
Hillary Clinton-45% 27 delegates
Arkansas primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-74% 28 delegates
Al Gore-22% 7 delegates
California primary-Democratic
Al Gore-50% 201 delegates
Hillary Clinton-44% 169 delegates
Colorado caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-58% 32 delegates
Hillary Clinton-41% 23 delegates
Connecticut primary-Democratic
Al Gore-53% 26 delegates
Hillary Clinton-45% 22 delegates
Delaware primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-48% 8 delegates
Al Gore-47% 7 delegates
Georgia primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-58% 51 delegates
Al Gore-39% 36 delegates
Idaho caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-80% 10 delegates
Hillary Clinton-17% 2 delegates
Illinois primary-Democratic
Al Gore-52% 81 delegates
Hillary Clinton-46% 72 delegates
Kansas caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-64% 14 delegates
Hillary Clinton-36% 7 delegates
Massachusetts primary-Democratic
Al Gore-49% 47 delegates
Hillary Clinton-48% 46 delegates
Minnesota caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-69% 50 delegates
Hillary Clinton-29% 22 delegates
Missouri primary-Democratic
Al Gore-53% 40 delegates
Hillary Clinton-44% 32 delegates
New Jersey primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-50% 55 delegates
Al Gore-48% 53 delegates
New Mexico primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-49% 13 delegates
Al Gore-48% 13 delegates
New York primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-55% 128 delegates
Al Gore-45% 104 delegates
North Dakota caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-61% 8 delegates
Hillary Clinton-37% 5 delegates
Oklahoma primary-Democratic
Al Gore-46% 20 delegates
Hillary Clinton-40% 18 delegates
Tennessee primary-Democratic
Al Gore-56% 41 delegates
Hillary Clinton-38% 27 delegates
Utah primary-Democratic
Al Gore-59% 15 delegates
Hillary Clinton-41% 8 delegates

Delegate count after Super Tuesday
Al Gore-921
Hillary Clinton-858

Al Gore had won. He had a small delegate lead, but it was enough. The next stream of contests looked good for him. It was very likely now that he would end up as the Democratic nominee. And the Democratic nominee in 2008 would very likely end up as President of the United States. Al Gore declared, which was partly accurate, that "this is a new day for our party and a new day for our country. Thank you for this great victory! We are going to win back the White House!"
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 03:34:33 AM »

BLOWOUTS AND BLOWUPS

Former Vice-President Al Gore campaigning in Louisiana following his Super Tuesday win
Al Gore was rejuvenated after Super Tuesday. Finally, he was calmly confident. He told his campaign team "We did a great job. If we keep on the path we're going, we have this thing." The next contests, many of them in very white caucus states, were friendly to Gore. The media too was crowning Gore the likely nominee. George W Bush marveled to reporters "I guess history does repeat itself." National polls showed Gore in the lead. Money started pouring in for Gore, while Clinton was forced to loan money to her near-bankrupt campaign. The primary results afterwards were good for Gore.
Louisiana primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-50% 30 delegates
Al Gore-43% 26 delegates
Nebraska caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-63% 11 delegates
Hillary Clinton-37% 5 delegates
Washington state caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-58% 45 delegates
Hillary Clinton-41% 33 delegates

On February 10, Gore followed it up with a win in the Maine caucuses.
Maine caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-57% 14 delegates
Hillary Clinton-42% 10 delegates

February 12 was more fiercely contested. It was the Potomac primaries. Those states had more African-Americans, and Clinton looked to win states like Maryland and Virginia. Gore saw a chance to give Clinton a knock out blow.
Democrats Abroad primary
Al Gore-56% 4 delegates
Hillary Clinton-42% 3 delegates
Maryland primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-50% 36 delegates
Al Gore-47% 34 delegates
Virginia primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-53% 44 delegates
Al Gore-46% 39 delegates
Washington DC primary-Democratic
Hillary Clinton-54% 9 delegates
Al Gore-45% 6 delegates

Delegate count after February 12

Al Gore-1,100
Hillary Clinton-1,028

Hillary Clinton had failed to get the big wins she needed. Gore had a lead of 72 delegates, which was in fact a very slight increase from his lead after Super Tuesday. On February 19, Hawaii and Wisconsin would cast their ballots. But that was a precursor to Texas, Ohio, Rhode Island and Vermont on March 4, a quadruple whammy that would likely make or break both candidates. Gore was in a celebratory mood after his recent wins. He declared "The politics of failure are being rolled back. With it, we are rolling back the stagnation of our middle class, rolling back a failed war, and rolling back the rise of the seas that dooms our planet." Of course, Republicans and some in the media mocked Gore for his apparent claim to be rolling back climate change with his primary victories. Gore told reporters, unusually relaxed "Don't worry, I haven't rolled it back yet. But I will."

The shocking accusation of sexual assault, shown here on the National Enquirer, threatened to blow up Al Gore's candidacy​
Al Gore was not allowed rest. On February 15, all hell broke loose. Masseuse Molly Hagerty claimed the former Vice-President had groped and sexually assaulted her in 2006. Hagerty claimed that Gore, under the alias 'Mr Stone' attempted to get sexual favors from her and forced her hand down into his crotch. Hagerty filed a report with the police in Portland, Oregon, who started an investigation into the matter. The news instantly blew up across the political landscape. The media was filled with wall to wall coverage of the case. The Gore campaign, at 2:30 pm in the afternoon, hours after the story came out, sent out a press release. Gore "unequivocally denies" the accusations, said that while he did get a massage "he does not have any recollection of Ms Hagerty", and that the accusation of sexual assault is "totally false, and has utterly baffled Vice-President Gore. This campaign hopes we can focus on the issues, and not on tabloid gossip."

Gore campaign manager Donna Brazile(above) accused the Clinton campaign of orchestrating the allegations​
Like Gore, the media expressed disbelief at the story. Fortunately for Gore, the account did not fit the public view of him as a calm and kind person who was above such behavior. The media and the Gore campaign also cast doubt on Hagerty's story, pointing out her erratic behavior and that she had not reported the matter with police at the time. She had previously raised the matter in late 2006 but had then cancelled meetings with investigators before making it a civil case. There were also other contradictions in the story. The Gore campaign raised the matter that Hagerty had been paid $500,000 for the story by the National Enquirer. Hillary Clinton tread carefully on the case, and said "I find these accusations horrifying and hard to believe. I doubt that Mr Gore has engaged in this kind of behavior and I hope the matter is handled professionally by the Portland police and appropriate authorities."

Gore did not believe her. Assembling his campaign team in the war room, he lashed out. He blamed Clinton for orchestrating the accusation, in an attempt to derail him ahead of the Wisconsin primary. "The Clintons had [Paula] Jones and [Juanita] Broaddrick. They have the baggage. They're trying to pass it onto me. What garbage! Utter garbage! We can't let them get away with this!" Gore would not say that in public himself. However, his campaign manager Donna Brazile raised the possibility on February 16. she said "I find it suspicious that this woman comes out with this story just days before the pivotal Wisconsin primary. Don't you? I think this has other hands on it. I understand our opponents are desperate to derail us, we're winning the primaries and we're winning in the polls. But come on, find something better than this tabloid trash!" The same day Al Gore was interviewed by the Portland PA.

Voting takes place for the Wisconsin Democratic primary, on February 19​
The public did not seem to believe the accusation. Gore on the campaign trail issued an emphatic denial, declaring "I promise you, I would never, ever commit the types of actions that you are hearing. That people think so, and are saying so, is wrong and outrageous. We should not believe these disgraceful lies, and I promise to continue to fight for the future of this country." A poll on February 18 showed 28% of respondents believed the story, 60% did not and 12% were unsure. Liberals were divided on how to approach the accusations, but most ultimately chose to give Gore the benefit of the doubt. Rumors continued to swirl that the Clinton campaign was responsible, and some speculated it would ultimately hurt Clinton, not Gore. Then, on February 19, the votes decided.
Hawaii caucuses-Democratic
Al Gore-66% 13 delegates
Hillary Clinton-34% 7 delegates
Wisconsin primary-Democratic
Al Gore-55% 41 delegates
Hillary Clinton-44% 33 delegates
Delegate count after February 19
Al Gore-1,154
Hillary Clinton-1,068

Gore had won again, with a double digit win in Wisconsin. His delegate lead had widened further. The public seemed to have believed him and trusted in his character. "Thank you! Thank you! I am so honored and humbled to have your trust and your vote. We are going to win the Democratic nomination and presidency of the United States. And I promise to be your President and be a President for you that you can be proud of." The crowd cheered. Gore looked to March 4, ever mindful on the oncoming bombshells and blowups as he pushed ever closer to the nomination. Still, he had come this far. Now it required one final push.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 03:45:05 AM »

Thoughts so far?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »

Love it! Very interesting and well-written!

Thank you! Stay tuned for more!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 11:21:47 PM »

SUPER TUESDAY II

Al Gore campaigning ahead of Super Tuesday II, with the (metaphorical) wind at his back
That wouldn't stop Al Gore. He had the momentum in the race. Hillary Clinton was making her last stand, as attack ads ripped into him. The Gore train was racing ahead. The RCP polling average on march 1 showed Gore leading nationally, with 50.0% support to Clinton's 43.3%. Gore was pressing on kitchen-table issues in the final days. He was a populist, attacking OPEC for high oil prices, attacking Wall Street for the subrpime mortgage crisis and Washington for stagnant wages. Clinton fired back "You've been in Washington all your life!" Gore quipped "Unlike you, I was never 'co-President'!" Gore declared, to a crowd of Ohio manufacturing workers "I am on your side!" The Gore campaign's confidence showed when Donna Brazile told reporters "I think it's a near certainty we will win the nomination."
Ohio primary-Democratic
Al Gore-52% 73 delegates
Hillary Clinton-46% 68 delegates
Rhode Island primary-Democratic
Al Gore-56% 12 delegates
Hillary Clinton-42% 9 delegates
Texas primary-Democratic
Al Gore-49% 63 delegates
Hillary Clinton-49% 63 delegates
Vermont primary-Democratic
Al Gore-66% 10 delegates
Hillary Clinton-32% 5 delegates
Delegate count after March 4
Al Gore-1,312
Hillary Clinton-1,213

Al Gore had extended his lead and swept up. Texas had been by the skin of his teeth, but even that obstacle had been cleared. His nomination was all but assured. Hillary Clinton's fate was uncertain, she refused to say whether she would continue. Al Gore triumphantly declared "We have done it! You know, Bill Clinton used to be the Comeback Kid, but it's time for him to move over. We are going to win the White House and make America great again! I hope you all join me on this journey!" There was still the hurdle of the Republicans to clear though.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »

PRESUMPTIVE NOMINEE

Albert Arnold Gore Junior, the presumptive nominee of the Democratic party and frontrunner to be the 44th US President
After March 4, it was clear Al Gore would be the Democratic nominee. Tim Russert said on primary night "We now know who the Democratic nominee is going to be and no one is going to dispute it." Al Gore was confident too, and Donna Brazile told reporters the next day "I can say that, almost certainly, Al Gore will be the Democratic nominee." Hillary Clinton would need a dramatic surge in support to overtake Gore in the coming primaries, when, if anything, the opposite was happening. National polls showed Gore's lead in the high single digits, some even stretching into double-digit margins. Superdelegates could not save Clinton either, Gore now had a rising lead with superdelegates over her. Bombshells would not sink Gore. The clean as a whistle Gore had been hit with a bombshell in the sexual assault allegations, but that had either not hurt him or even helped his campaign. Hillary Clinton saw that she had lost. Clinton hoped to negotiate with Gore to get him to help her with her campaign debt, given the divisive primary, Gore needed her help in uniting the party whole-heartedly behind him in the general. It had been a bitter primary, but Gore was the winner. However, Gore only agreed to help with a small fraction of her debt. On March 12, she conceded regardless. She congratulated Al Gore on his victory, saying "I would not wish to stay in and divide our party when I could not win. I throw my full support behind Al Gore, and I urge you to get out there and make Al Gore the next President of the United States!" She said "We may not have cracked that highest, hardest glass ceiling, but thanks to you, we have put millions and millions of cracks in it, and the light is shining through like never before, filling us all with the hope and the sure knowledge that the path will be a little easier next time." And with that, Hillary Clinton ended her campaign, and to most observers her hopes of being President(though some speculated she could run again). Al Gore was the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Al Gore at a fundraiser in March 2008, imploring donors to refill his campaign's coffers
Al Gore now could enter the general election and confront the Republicans. The first challenge was fundraising. Al Gore had spent most of his money on the primary battle. He needed to fill up his coffers again, and quick, before the Republicans could swift-boat him. Al Gore would spend the rest of March out of the public eye, travelling the country to get donations to his campaign. The Gore campaign also figured out a new innovation. Based on Howard Dean's 2004 campaign, they would use the Internet to raise money. Gore was out of the public eye, temporarily shielded from the media firestorm, but he was not wasting his time. Millions of dollars were coming in. Goreland was astonished by the success of their Internet fundraising. Gore's coffers were soon refilled and ready to battle. The Gore campaign was now ready for battle.

Gore had a weak image with the general public. A plurality of voters recorded having unfavorable opinions of Gore. A Gallup poll in March 2008 showed 46% of Americans had a favorable view of him and 40% of Americans had an unfavorable view of him. Gore had gone through a bruising primary fight. He was personally distrusted by much of the electorate, and many people found him abrasive and unlikable. His message resonated more, America did need change and they thought Gore would be a good President, But the thought of him as President wasn't comforting. Kreider told Gore "We need to put in a new face and calm people's doubts." Gore had the chance now to define himself as he chose. Gore was also hurt by the perception among some voters he was too liberal, having taken liberal positions in the primary. Republicans spread those doubts, an RNC memo on April 1, leaked to the media, painted Gore as "climate extremist-hurt him on coal, dove-soft on terror, tax and spend liberal, anti-business, too far left." It was what Gore had feared when he had entered the primary. Gore quickly sought to pivot to the general, and mounted an attack on the Republicans "I am not on the far-left. It may look that way though, because the Republicans are so far to the right. And where has that gotten us? Their extremism, their failures, have given us two wars, thousands of our troops dead in a war caused by a lie, a city drowned, gas prices at all time highs, middle-class families hit by a recession caused by far-right policies. And we need change, we need to turf out the Republicans and shift this country back to where we were before the disasters of George Bush." Gore didn't want to run on an ideological manifesto. He wanted to run on who he was not, George W Bush. With Bush's approval rating at 30%, that would be a wise choice.

A poster showing Al Gore's 2008 slogan, having stumbled upon it it summed up his message
Al Gore now shifted to getting a message for the general. They tested several different slogans, but found a common theme among focus groups. Voters thought the country was going in the wrong direction, that things had been better before. America had been great before, but not anymore. One woman put it thusly "Things were so good before, in the 1990s, but we've just been getting worse and worse. Somebody needs to make America great again." That's it! It was like a scene in a comic book or cartoon where the lightbulb appears above the character's head. Gore decided he should pick his slogan as "Make America Great Again." It had been Reagan's 1980 slogan, and he had won big. And in 1992 Bill Clinton had used it too. Some advisers raised doubts, couldn't the Republicans use it to attack Gore as unpatriotic? The slogan tested well though. With Bush's approval rating at 30%, and over 70% of American saying the country was on the wrong track, it was a message that would resonate. Gore could use it to paint the Republicans as the status-quo and so drag them down with Bush. It was decided. Al Gore would Make America Great Again. And so Al Gore got into the ring for the general election battle. Would this time be third time lucky?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 07:19:53 PM »

Thoughts on Gore's slogan? Who do you think will be his VP?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »

GORE VS MCCAIN

Presumptive Republican nominee John McCain campaigning in New Hampshire​
Al Gore faced a strong Republican opponent in Arizona Senator John McCain. McCain had been the underdog for much of 2007, but after a win in New Hampshire he gathered unstoppable momentum and soon wrapped up the nomination on Super Tuesday, with a far less divisive primary than what Gore faced against Hillary Clinton. McCain had hoped to face off against Hillary Clinton, he was good friends with her and liked her. Gore, not so much. But Gore vs McCain it was. Gore respected McCain personally, he was a war hero after all, but politically, McCain was not what America needed. He was a war hawk and, despite his pretensions to being a 'maverick', Gore believed and said that McCain was a third term for Bush and would bring no change. McCain had little regard for Gore, seeing him as abrasive and was disdainful of his political chops. McCain thought Gore was an easier opponent than Hillary Clinton, 2000 seemed the proof. He was about to find out.

Republicans began a new round of attacks against Al Gore. McCain declared that Al Gore is "too partisan" and "his platform is the most extreme from a Democratic nominee that we have seen in decades." Gore denied the attacks on him that he was 'too liberal', and declared "I am a pragmatist, and all my life I have championed pragmatic solutions to lift people up, rather than the extreme ideological agenda we have seen from this Republican administration." McCain sought to use the patriotism card against Gore. This was bolstered by Gore's slogan, which McCain felt was unpatriotic and attacked America. He declared "Unlike my opponent, I believe this country is great, that we retain the greatness and spirit that has made America the greatest nation in the history of the world. I believe in America and I see that we have not lost our greatness but are ready, given the leadership, for the challenges of the 21st century." Gore fired back, accusing McCain of being 'disingenuous' and saying "I don't deny that we are a great nation, but unlike Senator McCain, I recognize that we cannot remain as we are. We cannot keep the leadership and failures of the last eight years. We must restore our nation and put this country back on the right track."

Gore continually insisted that McCain would be a third term for Bush. McCain claimed he was a change candidate too, and he was a 'maverick' To prove it, he sought to demonstrate his differences with Bush. And he saw Gore's signature issue of climate change as an opportunity to do just that, as McCain had declared climate change exists, and supported cap and trade and automobile fuel standards. McCain declared "Both Al Gore and I recognize that climate change is a pressing problem and serious steps must be taken to combat it." Gore was initially passive on this issue, and he even said to supporters that "both me and my opponent recognize the reality of climate change, the question is how to stop it." Gore's advisers soon made clear that such passiveness was not helpful, and Gore needed to take McCain down on the climate issue. Gore declared on May 3 that "John McCain lacks the solutions to the pressing crisis of climate change. He can claim to be on the right side of this issue, but the reality is that he is woefully inadequate on this hugely important issue." The Gore campaign pointed out that McCain opposed the Kyoto Protocol, that he said fuel efficiency standards were best left to the states, and he had opposed the override of Bush's veto for funds of the restoration of the Everglades. McCain alleged that Gore was trying to "twist and distort my record," Gore replied "You can all look up the truth on that thing I invented"(referencing the claim that Al Gore said he 'invented the internet') Republicans attacked Al Gore on climate change, but their attempts to cast doubt on his documentary and on his climate change policies were hurt by McCain trying to hug Gore on the issue. Ultimately, McCain could not rival Gore on climate change, just diminish his party's weakness, but that left him unable to attack Gore's vulnerabilities on the issue.

Presumptive Democratic nominee Al Gore attacks John McCain in a campaign rally in Miami, Florida

Gore and McCain also clashed on the issue of Iraq. McCain was very hawkish, and in favor of the troop surge there. With the situation having stabilized there, and violence decreasing, McCain claimed the surge had worked. McCain said that pointed to his 'good judgement' in backing the surge, and said Gore lacked that good judgment in opposing the surge. In an ironic twist of fate, McCain was backed by Gore's 2000 running mate Joe Lieberman, who had endorsed him instead of Gore. Gore fired back, saying "I had the good judgement to oppose the Iraq War right from the very start, and stand up against it. John McCain lacked that good judgement. He stood with Bush and Cheney and promised that we would be greeted as liberators, that it would be easy, that there was no history of violence between Sunni and Shia. He was wrong. I, not Senator McCain, have the good judgement needed to be President." McCain pointed out that in 2002 Gore had said "Iraq's search for WMD has proven impossible to completely deter, and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power. We know that [Saddam] has stored away secret supplies of biological weapons and chemical weapons throughout his country." McCain also pointed out that in the 2000 debate Gore had said "We have maintained the sanctions. I want to go further. I want to give robust support to the groups that are trying to overthrow Saddam Hussein. Some say they’re too weak to do it. But that’s what they said about those opposing Milosevic in Serbia" and that he supported Clinton's 1998 airstrikes on Iraq. Gore fought back against this attempt to muddy the waters, and said that this did not mean he supported the war, and declared "I was opposed to this colossal mistake of a war, a war Senator McCain championed and supported." Gore also attacked McCain for his comments that the US could be in Iraq for 100 years, saying "Unlike Senator McCain, I have a plan to wind down this war. McCain is the war candidate, and we are paying the price for that mistake in blood, sweat and tears."

The fundamentals of the race backed Gore. 2008 was a change election. While Gore personally was not change, with his life in politics, he was a big policy change and a break with George W Bush. McCain, despite his claim to be a maverick, was not a dramatic change, and he was closely tied to Bush and many of his policies. McCain was swimming against the tide. Gore made that clear, saying "John McCain is now openly endorsing the policies of the Bush-Cheney White House and actually promising to continue those same policies over again? Hey, I believe in recycling but that's ridiculous." Still, the fundamentals had been in Gore's favor in 2000 and he had still lost (though, as he liked to point out, he won the popular vote and it was not a definitive loss by any means). The polls were close. The RCP average on June 5 showed Gore at 46.8% to McCain's 44.3%, just a 2.5% lead. There were two factions in the Gore campaign, the 'complacent' ones who saw a win as almost inevitable, and the 'bedwetters' who fretted about every bad poll. After 2000, Gore leaned towards being a bedwetter. The veepstakes and the conventions were coming up. Brazile told Gore "August will be critical. If we get a good VP and a good convention, if we rally the party behind us and make a strong appeal to the country, we can seal this thing. If McCain pulls it out from under us then we will be in for a real fight." Al Gore was definitely the frontrunner in the race. And with the economy getting worse and storm clouds brewing, outside forces would conspire to help him. Gore vs McCain would likely come up Gore, but only if Gore himself made sure it did.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 11:21:49 PM »

SECOND IN COMMAND

Al Gore's Vice-President; Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold​
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 05:58:23 PM »

Thoughts on Gore's VP choice? Predictions for the election and afterwards?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies