Larry Hogan(R) - governor of Maryland - has a 74% approval rating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:54:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Larry Hogan(R) - governor of Maryland - has a 74% approval rating
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Larry Hogan(R) - governor of Maryland - has a 74% approval rating  (Read 932 times)
JJC

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:00:38 AM »

If this poll is even remotely accurate then Hogan might be the most popular governor in America right now. I don't know much about Maryland politics, but it's surprising to see a Republican governor doing so well in such a deep blue state. This is a state that Clinton won by 25 points.

http://2qtvrz46wjcg34jx1h1blgd2.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Gonzales-Maryland-Media-Poll-January-2017.pdf
JOB APPROVAL: GOVERNOR LARRY HOGAN
Approve: 74.2%
Disapprove: 14.7%

Among Republicans
Approve: 86%
Disapprove: 6%

Among Democrats

Approve: 66%
Disapprove: 21%

Male
Approve: 77%
Disapprove: 14%

Female
Approve: 71%
Disapprove: 16%

Trump
Favorable: 30.4%
Unfavorable: 56%

A total of 823 registered voters in Maryland were queried by live telephone interviews, utilizing both landlines and cell phones.  A cross-section of interviews was conducted throughout the state reflecting general election voting patterns. MOE 3.5%
JJC

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 12:07:59 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2017, 12:14:27 AM by JJC »

I'm pretty sure he'll win in 2018 unless Trump goes nuts.

As a Marylander do you know why his approval rating is insanely high? I know he's known as a centrists and non-ideologue but it's hard to fathom that kind of approval in today's polarized American.

EDIT:

Doing more research. Apparently he's responsible for ending the Baltimore race riots by bringing in the national guard. He also brought Maryland's debt from 5.1B to 600M through fiscal restraint. He's respected for being non-ideological, and on top of that he was diagnosed with Leukemia and battled through it in 2015.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »

To be honest, while a lot of it was because he got cancer, he had already been quite popular at the beginning of his term. Overall, it was mostly a reaction to the Rain Tax era of O'Malley, and the weak candidacy of Anthony Brown.

I believe that your numbers are incorrect for the debt. The state has a debt of $52 billion, and it's actually increased. If you meant to say deficit, that is also incorrect. The state is running a deficit of about $11 billion.

I teally hope something finally happens with cancer.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »

He's pro-choice (or at least smart enough not to change the laws of Maryland), he's pro-free trade, and he's not interfering with pro-LGBT legislation.

No wonder. He's way better than the national party and would certainly have my vote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 10:39:28 AM »

He's pro-choice (or at least smart enough not to change the laws of Maryland), he's pro-free trade, and he's not interfering with pro-LGBT legislation.

No wonder. He's way better than the national party and would certainly have my vote.
yeah, what the hell?  Why isn't this guy President?  Oh yeah, the base hates gay people and free trade.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »

As a Marylander do you know why his approval rating is insanely high? I know he's known as a centrists and non-ideologue but it's hard to fathom that kind of approval in today's polarized American.

EDIT:

Doing more research. Apparently he's responsible for ending the Baltimore race riots by bringing in the national guard. He also brought Maryland's debt from 5.1B to 600M through fiscal restraint. He's respected for being non-ideological, and on top of that he was diagnosed with Leukemia and battled through it in 2015.

Really, he hasn't done anything to piss people off. I am as liberal as they come, but if I was polled I would say I approve. I won't vote for him in 2018, but I wouldn't be crushed if he won again.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:41:52 AM »

yeah, what the hell?  Why isn't this guy President?  Oh yeah, the base hates gay people and free trade.

See people have this misconception that millennial are hardcore liberals. This is false. Millennial are just very socially liberal and actually supportive of fiscal moderation. Hogan could have won a substantial amount, possibly a majority.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »

EDIT:

Really, he hasn't done anything to piss people off. I am as liberal as they come, but if I was polled I would say I approve. I won't vote for him in 2018, but I wouldn't be crushed if he won again.

Yeah, same (except I probably won't be in MD in 2018, so I couldn't vote for him regardless).  He's governed the state with the full knowledge that he's a Republican governor in one of the most reliably Democratic states in the country, doing things like, say, reneging on his promise to torpedo the Purple Line.  Things could be better, certainly; my girl Heather Mizeur was and will always be awesome.  But Hogan's not, say, Bruce Rauner.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 10:48:31 AM »

See people have this misconception that millennial are hardcore liberals. This is false. Millennial are just very socially liberal and actually supportive of fiscal moderation. Hogan could have won a substantial amount, possibly a majority.
Sure, but he'd never make it through a GOP primary.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »

Hogan is an example of how people SHOULD govern in this country - prudently and without antagonism. I'd probably vote for him if I lived in Maryland
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:16:43 AM »

Hogan and Baker are probably my favorite Republican governors right now. I'm cool with either of them winning re-election.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 11:19:35 AM »

Please write another thinkpiece that describes 10-15% of millennials (namely urban/suburban white ones) and use it to draw broad conclusions about an entire generation.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »

Hogan is an example of how people SHOULD govern in this country - prudently and without antagonism. I'd probably vote for him if I lived in Maryland
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »

Please write another thinkpiece that describes 10-15% of millennials (namely urban/suburban white ones) and use it to draw broad conclusions about an entire generation.

Not to mention White ... Millenials are the most diverse generation, and that is easily the biggest factor in their "liberalness," among others.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »

Well, seems to be real moderate heroTM. Not sure whether it's only because he suffered from cancer. Charlie Baker has a similar approval.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 12:50:41 PM »

Millennials are whatever you make of them.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »

Sure, everyone's a snowflake.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies