Most socially conservative state in New England
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:17:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most socially conservative state in New England
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the most socially conservative state in New England?
Connecticut

Rhode Island

Massachusetts

Vermont

New Hampshire

Maine

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Most socially conservative state in New England  (Read 7513 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:27:36 PM »

I'd say Maine. New Hampshire is the most economically conservative, and Rhode Island has the most socially conservative Democratic Party. New Hampshire used to elect socon Repubs (B. Smith, Humphrey), but not many recently, and Maine now has LePage and Poliquin.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 11:36:53 PM »

Probably Massachusetts, their are a fare amount of Pro-life Democrats in Massachusetts.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 01:06:13 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2017, 01:08:20 AM by Intell »

Rhode Island.  It's more working class.

Massachusetts, Vermont, and Connecticut are the most liberal by far.

This is the most stupid analysis, conflating social conservatism is idiotic and dumb.

But the answer would be;

1. Rhode Island
2. Connecticut
3. Massachusetts
4. Maine
5. New Hampshire
6. Vermont

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 01:16:07 AM »

I vote for New Hampshire. Maine is a state in which the voters approved legalization of same-sex marriage. New Hampshire legalized it via state legislation, but both chambers of the legislature were very closely divided on it, and Democrats lost control of the state legislature the next election after the bill passed, which implies electorate backlash.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 01:52:16 AM »

Maine
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 03:57:24 AM »

It depends upon one defines a social conservative, since like any other catchall phrase looses a lot of detail if it is bandied around without context.

If we look at a few keys subjects commonly considered part of the "social conservative" movement like Abortion Rights, Gay Marriage, and Gun restrictions we see a considerable amount of variation within the six states of New England....

From most socially conservative to less socially conservative:

1.) Abortion Rights
      A.) Rhode Island--- 63% PRO
      B.) Maine----          64% PRO
      C.) New Hampshire 66% PRO
      D.) Connetticutt     67% PRO
      E.) Vermont           70% PRO
      F.) Massachusetts   74% PRO

2.) Gay Marriage
     A.) Maine---   63% PRO
     B/C VT/CT---  67 % PRO
     D.) RI---        70% PRO
     E.) MA---       73% PRO
     F.)  NH----      75% PRO

3.) Support for greater gun restrictions....
     A.) NH--- 54%
     B.) ME--  55 % (Wide gap between ME-01 and ME-02 here)
     C.) VT---  59%
     D.) RI/MA/CT roughly between 62-67% depending upon CD

So if we look at abortion, gay marriage, and guns as the core parts of social conservatism, it appears that Maine places towards the top of all three categories....

The water is much muddier as for the 2nd / 3rd string contenders...

It definitely looks like Mass. is the least socially conservative state in New England on these issues, and if it wasn't for CT's relatively lackluster support for Gay Marriage, I would probably put at as the second most socially liberal state in New England....

Anyone want to chime in with some other metrics and themes of social conservatism that I didn't reference above based on public polling numbers by state?

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 10:11:35 AM »

Almost certainly Maine.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »

Rhode Island.  It's more working class.

Massachusetts, Vermont, and Connecticut are the most liberal by far.

This is the most stupid analysis, conflating social conservatism is idiotic and dumb.

But the answer would be;

1. Rhode Island
2. Connecticut
3. Massachusetts
4. Maine
5. New Hampshire
6. Vermont

What an idiotic post from you (as usual).  Of course there is a correlation... I am assuming your point was that there is not one but your English is atrocious.

What's the correlation?

(Grab your popcorn, Monikers.)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »

Maine, and it isn't even close.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 11:32:35 AM »

Maine (though the gap between ME-01 and ME-02 seems pretty big). True, New Hampshire elected Gordon Humphrey and Bob Smith, but they also elected Warren Rudman, Charlie Bass, and now Chris Sununu, and it is also David Souter's home state. Bob Smith was also never too popular, he had several close calls, got primaried out in 2002, and did poorly in his attempted comeback in 2014. Also, in 1996, Ovide Lamontagne ran for governor primarily as a social conservative, and lost by 20 points to Jeanne Shaheen, a margin that seemed huge at that time. It also doesn't really have any large "base" of social conservatives. If the Udall vs Gardner race was in New Hampshire instead of Colorado, and both ran on the same issues, Udall would have won comfortably.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »

It depends upon one defines a social conservative, since like any other catchall phrase looses a lot of detail if it is bandied around without context.

If we look at a few keys subjects commonly considered part of the "social conservative" movement like Abortion Rights, Gay Marriage, and Gun restrictions we see a considerable amount of variation within the six states of New England....

1.) Abortion Rights

2.) Gay Marriage
     A.) Maine---   63% PRO
     B/C VT/CT---  67 % PRO
     D.) RI---        70% PRO
     E.) MA---       73% PRO
     F.)  NH----      75% PRO

A.) NH--- 54%
     C.) VT---  59%

So if we look at abortion, gay marriage, and guns as the core parts of social conservatism, it appears that Maine places towards the top of all three categories....

It definitely looks like Mass. is the least socially conservative state in New England on these issues, and if it wasn't for CT's relatively lackluster support for Gay Marriage, I would probably put at as the second most socially liberal state in New England....

Anyone want to chime in with some other metrics and themes of social conservatism that I didn't reference above based on public polling numbers by state?

Did you just make thise numbers up?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 02:07:39 PM »

1.) Abortion Rights

2.) Gay Marriage
     A.) Maine---   63% PRO
     B/C VT/CT---  67 % PRO
     D.) RI---        70% PRO
     E.) MA---       73% PRO
     F.)  NH----      75% PRO

A.) NH--- 54%
     C.) VT---  59%

No... numbers regarding Abortion are from a Pew poll from 2014...

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/compare/views-about-abortion/by/state/

Numbers regarding Gay Marriage is from a Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) national survey from 2015.

http://www.prri.org/spotlight/map-every-states-opinion-on-same-sex-marriage/

You could look at the Williams Institute (UCLA ) survey by state from 2012 which shows a slightly different pattern, but one would surmise that on this issue as public attitudes have shifted dramatically in just the past few years, the most recent data would be more representative.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/research/marriage-and-couples-rights/public-support-for-marriage-for-same-sex-couples-by-state/

The data on support/opposition for great gun restrictions is from July 2016, and is actually broken down by CD.

https://www.isidewith.com/map/2Y5/support-for-gun-control#z5

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2017, 03:12:11 PM by ExtremeRepublican »

1.) Abortion Rights
      B.) Maine----          64% PRO
      D.) Connetticutt     67% PRO
      E.) Vermont           70% PRO
      F.) Massachusetts   74% PRO

2.) Gay Marriage
     A.) Maine---   63% PRO
     B/C VT/CT---  67 % PRO
     D.) RI---        70% PRO
     E.) MA---       73% PRO
     F.)  NH----      75% PRO

A.) NH--- 54%
     B.) ME--  55 % (Wide gap between ME-01 and ME-02 here)
     C.) VT---  59%

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/compare/views-about-abortion/by/state/

Numbers regarding Gay Marriage is from a Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) national survey from 2015.

You could look at the Williams Institute (UCLA ) survey by state from 2012 which shows a slightly different pattern, but one would surmise that on this issue as public attitudes have shifted dramatically in just the past few years, the most recent data would be more representative.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/research/marriage-and-couples-rights/public-support-for-marriage-for-same-sex-couples-by-state/

The data on support/opposition for great gun restrictions is from July 2016, and is actually broken down by CD.

The abortion numbers are interesting, but they look a little too favorable to "legal" overall, when compared to Gallup's most of the time equivalent question.  Plus, there are a couple that look wrong at first glance, like Oklahoma and Nebraska being underwater.

These numbers come out to always/mostly legal +14, while others, such as CNN have it always/mostly illegal +18.  It really depends on the exact wording of the question.  Gallup has pro-life/pro-choice tied over the last couple years, so here is a map with these state numbers indexed to a tied nation:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 04:13:58 PM »

1.) Abortion Rights

2.) Gay Marriage
     A.) Maine---   63% PRO
     B/C VT/CT---  67 % PRO
     D.) RI---        70% PRO
     E.) MA---       73% PRO
     F.)  NH----      75% PRO

A.) NH--- 54%
     C.) VT---  59%

The abortion numbers are interesting, but they look a little too favorable to "legal" overall, when compared to Gallup's most of the time equivalent question.  Plus, there are a couple that look wrong at first glance, like Oklahoma and Nebraska being underwater.

These numbers come out to always/mostly legal +14, while others, such as CNN have it always/mostly illegal +18.  It really depends on the exact wording of the question.  Gallup has pro-life/pro-choice tied over the last couple years, so here is a map with these state numbers indexed to a tied nation:

Weird how hard Florida is to turn or keep D or just how pro-choice it is with all the olds and Upper Middle Class Cuban Catholics.

On the whole, I'd say that is a good map but switch IL, and PA...maybe MN...basically 2016 but with NM swapped with MT, AK , and FL. I think that will be the post-Roe law map.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 04:19:58 PM »

I voted New Hampshire, since I don't know Maine well enough to vote for it (haven't been there since I was a baby). They're both very swingy states (Maine attaining this status more recently), at the moment Maine has more Republicans in statewide positions (governor, one senator, and one House rep) than New Hampshire (governor), although New Hampshire Republicans control both state legislatures while Maine Republicans only control the state Senate. Judging NH by House seats only is ridiculous since it only has two seats and it is a state where elections are regularly very close (.2% Clinton margin and .14% Hassan margin).
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 04:24:17 AM »

So thinking through this further, my thought is how well have Republican candidates fared in New England running on a "socially conservative platform"?

This is obviously a complicated subject, since you have an obvious issue of:

1.) Timing---- NH first primary in the nation, other states voting a few months later, etc...

2.) Primaries/Cacauses----   ME Republican electorate much more skewed towards "movement Republicans" that tend to over represent Social Conservatives.

3.) Open/Closed Primaries---- The diversity of voters in the Republican primaries can vary immensely from state to state regardless of timing and method of selecting the party nominee within the state

4.) Themes emphasized by the Republican candidate running. Buchanan in '92 was maybe a really bad fit for NH on social issues but better fit on "limited foreign intervention" and "trade policy" for example, but might well have played better in Maine/ Rhode Island with a combination of timing and cross-over voters..... or maybe not?

In theory, Mitt Romney's "Social Liberalism" should have killed him in certain parts of New England during the '12 primaries, but it really didn't, likely because of points #1 and #3.

Not so sure about McCain '08, but in a part of the country where cultural/social conservatives account for a smaller section of the base Republican electorate, his relatively Liberal social policies didn't appear to hurt him very much, if at all....

Maybe someone on the Forum with better knowledge and background regarding Republican Primary historical performance than myself can jump in on this one, but it would seem that despite the difficulties in objectively matching the data, we can potentially discern something on this by relative levels of support of Republican Presidential candidates in New England over the past 25 years with a higher level of association with traditional "social conservative" agenda items (God, Gays, Guns???)... idk you tell me.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 05:07:43 PM »

Maine, mostly because of the second district.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 08:24:50 PM »

Maine, but Rhode Island is much more socon than one would expect from such a Democratic state.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »

Maine, but Rhode Island is much more socon than one would expect from such a Democratic state.

If atlas was a state, it would be Rhode Island.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 11:32:16 AM »

Based on the last few presidential elections, probably New Hampshire or Maine.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies