Russia's influence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:59:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Russia's influence
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would Trump have won without Russian interference in the election?
Definitely yes

Likely yes

Unsure

Likely no

Definitely no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Russia's influence  (Read 1306 times)
catographer
Megameow
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2017, 12:19:12 AM »

Would Donald J. Trump have been elected President in the 2016 election had Russia not hacked the DNC and released embarrassing emails and documents via Wikileaks?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 04:41:41 AM »

Russian intelligence is far more reaching than anyone realises.

I have been researching the effects of Russian intelligence on the United States for some time now and there appears to be a direct effect on the US people.

I would not underestimate the effects that online Russian propoganda would have on an unsuspecting US populus.

https://youtu.be/CQALlMiNleE

https://youtu.be/3RJXP1tfSBM

The US intelligence community is currently reaearching these videos for any signs of intelligence.

elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 03:22:27 PM »

1. The election was EXTREMELY CLOSE, regardless of the post-game descriptions we have all heard.
2. The Russians definitely did their best to sabotage Clinton's image.
3. Any slight increase in Clinton's support swings the election to her.
Therefore, I would say that the Russian influence DEFINITELY swung the election to Trump. Without it, we are now discussing the incoming Clinton administration.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 04:07:16 PM »

1. The election was EXTREMELY CLOSE, regardless of the post-game descriptions we have all heard.
2. The Russians definitely did their best to sabotage Clinton's image.
3. Any slight increase in Clinton's support swings the election to her.
Therefore, I would say that the Russian influence DEFINITELY swung the election to Trump. Without it, we are now discussing the incoming Clinton administration.

Indeed, this needs to be the talk of every single Democrat who goes on TV for the next year+
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »

I'm surprised that Russia would support the candidate that did not want to start a war with them.
uti2

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 09:46:21 PM »

Minimal IMO... Corey's letter had a much bigger impact.  Which is ironic... we have intel agencies investigating how Russia impacted the election when one of our intel agencies probably had a much bigger impact...

Both events had impacts in different ways, the leaks had the impact of preventing Hillary from consolidating the left and depressed turnout. Comey just consolidated the traditional GOP base for Trump.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »

I think Comey is more directly to blame, and the impact there is clearer. However, it is likely that, given how close the election was, Putin cost Clinton the win, though she might have won by a 2000-style margin without it. Trump has no mandate or legitimacy. However at the same time Clinton herself was an immensely flawed candidate.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 04:49:38 AM »

It's impossible, but I wish Trumpublicans could hold these two non-mutually exclusive thoughts in their heads: 1) Russia hacked our election, helped Trump win. Serious violation of national sovereignty, we should take hard line against Russia for this cyber attack. 2) Trump won legitimately and fairly, and won for reasons other than the Russian hack.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 02:19:01 PM »

I think the most telling aspect of this poll is that not one of the 34 voters so far has chosen "unsure" when it is almost certainly the objectively correct answer.
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: 0.43

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 09:21:07 PM »

I think the most telling aspect of this poll is that not one of the 34 voters so far has chosen "unsure" when it is almost certainly the objectively correct answer.
^^This

Not a single poster on here knows for sure.  Assange says he didn't get the emails from the Russians.  Maybe the Russians weren't the only ones Podesta gave his password to?  Again, nobody knows.  Do the Russians love it when something upsets the apple cart in politics of competing world powers?  Absolutely.

uti2

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 09:36:14 PM »

^^This

Not a single poster on here knows for sure.  Assange says he didn't get the emails from the Russians.  Maybe the Russians weren't the only ones Podesta gave his password to?  Again, nobody knows.  Do the Russians love it when something upsets the apple cart in politics of competing world powers?  Absolutely.

Perhaps, but it was the FBI that also tipped their hand despite knowing that russia had also interfered. That just shows how polarized politics are.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »

Likely no.  Like 99% sure.  Hillary would have won without even 1 of the manufactured scandals considering how close the states were.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »

I'm surprised that Russia would support the candidate that did not want to start a war with them.

Conventional wisdom I've heard is that one reason Russia liked Trump was his comments about NATO.  Recall he questioned the treaty's provision that an attack on one member nation is an attack on all.  Viewed from Russia's perspective, this could decrease any hesitancy they might have to move militarily (or economically) against the Baltic states or perhaps other former Warsaw Pact nations.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »

We will never know for sure. I doubt Hillary would have won in a landslide without Russia's influence, but if they tipped the scale even a little bit, that might have made the difference, considering how close the election was.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies