SB 2017-056 - Amendment to Article 1, Section 4 of the Constitution (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:34:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2017-056 - Amendment to Article 1, Section 4 of the Constitution (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 2017-056 - Amendment to Article 1, Section 4 of the Constitution (Failed)  (Read 2405 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 04:16:35 PM »

I always considered the minimum residency rule to be a "requirement for activity" (i.e. the poster must be an active citizen for a set period of time to be eligible to vote).

Even if that's true (and I beg to differ), the proposed amendment changes "requirement for activity" to "failing to meet such requirements for frequent posting as may be established by law".  So something needs to be changed.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 02:55:24 AM »

Since we apparently can't amend this legislation, I will open a final vote later today.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »

So we vote nay so that the house can add Clyde's amendment? Is that how this works?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 10:35:23 PM »

So we vote nay so that the house can add Clyde's amendment? Is that how this works?

I think so, although if anyone has an alternate interpretation I'm open to hearing it.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 02:42:26 AM »

I now open a 48-hour final vote.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 07:08:31 AM »

Nay
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »

Nay
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 03:17:34 PM »

Nay
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »

Nay.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »

I think so, although if anyone has an alternate interpretation I'm open to hearing it.
Well,
As I proposed new rules for both the senate and the House (that the House chose to pass btw) and that I made many changes to the current senate rules, if you want to send back something to the House, you should add your amendment, and then the other chamber will choose to adopt it or not.
-Basically, 3 scenarios:
1)  if a chamber adopts something then the other chamber chooses to adopt this too: it goes to the president's desk.
2) if a chamber adopts something then the other chamber chooses to reject it: end of the story for the bill.
3) if a chamber adopts something then the other chamber adopts something different from the original bill: it goes back on the floor on the first chamber etc etc until both chambers agree on something similar where then it goes to the president desk.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »

Well,
As I proposed new rules for both the senate and the House (that the House chose to pass btw) and that I made many changes to the current senate rules, if you want to send back something to the House, you should add your amendment, and then the other chamber will choose to adopt it or not.
-Basically, 3 scenarios:
1)  if a chamber adopts something then the other chamber chooses to adopt this too: it goes to the president's desk.
2) if a chamber adopts something then the other chamber chooses to reject it: end of the story for the bill.
3) if a chamber adopts something then the other chamber adopts something different from the original bill: it goes back on the floor on the first chamber etc etc until both chambers agree on something similar where then it goes to the president desk.

When you note that the House chose to pass it, do you mean that the Senate never passed it? Or do you mean rather that it is in effect now and we actually need to not kill this?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 03:53:49 PM »

Well,
-Basically, 3 scenarios:

When you note that the House chose to pass it, do you mean that the Senate never passed it? Or do you mean rather that it is in effect now and we actually need to not kill this?
I believe it is as well the best interpretation regarding the senate rules as well btw.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »

I'm a little confused by this; are you saying that the Senate and House would continue offering amendments to the bill until they can come to an agreement? Regardless of the merits of that proposal (if such is indeed your meaning), I don't believe such is compatible with the Constitution, which states:

(1) If one house passes a bill and the other house adopts it w/o amendment, it goes to the president
(2) If one house passes a bill and the other house rejects it, it fails
(3) If one house passes a bill and the other house adopts it w/ amendment, it returns to the first house for an up-or-down vote. If the first house then rejects the amended bill, the original (i.e. unamended) version returns to the other house for an up-or-down vote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »

I'm a little confused by this; are you saying that the Senate and House would continue offering amendments to the bill until they can come to an agreement? Regardless of the merits of that proposal (if such is indeed your meaning), I don't believe such is compatible with the Constitution, which states:

(1) If one house passes a bill and the other house adopts it w/o amendment, it goes to the president
(3) If one house passes a bill and the other house adopts it w/ amendment, it returns to the first house for an up-or-down vote. If the first house then rejects the amended bill, the original (i.e. unamended) version returns to the other house for an up-or-down vote.

Wait, seriously, this is in the constitution?
Who the hell did that? Are the members of the Concon literally dumb to have adopted that? This king of things are senate/house rules matters, they shouldn't be a part of the constitution.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 05:10:09 PM »

I've been trying to tell people for months, but nobody listened. Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »

It should honestly be repealed to be honest.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2017, 12:25:18 PM »

Let's just repeal the whole Constitution
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2017, 06:35:31 PM »

Who the hell did that? Are the members of the Concon literally dumb to have adopted that? This king of things are senate/house rules matters, they shouldn't be a part of the constitution.

Wait, you are the Chief Justice and you haven't even read the Constitution?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2017, 06:36:50 PM »

Let's just repeal the whole Constitution

"Over my dead body sir!" Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »

The portion in question was meant as a means to prevent the Senate/House from cutting the VP out of the rules. Since the VP administers the process on the return trip.

OF course no one expected the House/Senate to go ahead and do that anyway and no one to stand up and say wait a minute, Constitution.... Tongue
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2017, 03:52:19 AM »

This legislation fails.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States