Most liberal state on social issues?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:54:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most liberal state on social issues?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most liberal state on social issues?  (Read 5057 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2017, 07:51:54 AM »

Which is it?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:01:37 AM »

MA?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:48:44 AM »

Probably a state that votes overwhelmingly Democrat and is mostly white.  Massachusetts and Vermont come to mind.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »

ITT, Non Swing Voter claims that Virginia is as socially liberal as OREGON and MORE socially liberal than DELAWARE all to make himself feel cool, LOL.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »

The obvious answer is California.  It's worth noting that Eastern white Democrats are far less SJWish and socially liberal than Western white Democrats (with the possible exception of Vermont).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 11:12:55 AM »

Depends on what you mean by "socially liberal." "Social issues" is just a catch-all term for a bunch of unrelated issues that aren't directly related to economics. Overall though I'd say Massachusetts, despite a slight socially conservative undercurrent. It's definitely not California. If guns weren't a factor I might say Vermont.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »

It's odd how Troll RINO literally posts directly after me on almost every single topic.  Not worthy of me unignoring him... but anyways, I agree with the other posters, MA and CA are clearly the obvious choices.

I mean, you spread blatant lies about the electorate and its coalitions all in the name of making yourself feel like the coolest, most elite person possible, so I admit I get enjoyment out of spending way too much effort proving you wrong.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »

California.  The prize WOULD have gone to Massachusetts, given they were the first state to legalize marriage equality.  However, their transgender protections are still lacking in a couple areas.  California, however, has all of the social liberal and SJW bases covered: lax abortion laws, marriage equality, comprehensive discrimination protections for everyone in the LGBT spectrum, gun control, legalized marijuana, and "affirmative consent" laws.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 01:32:45 PM »

Either Vermont or California (Prop 8 notwithstanding). Washington and Oregon are just very polarized states, with both having a large socon base in the eastern half of the sate.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »

Do guns count as a social issue? If so, probably California or Massachusetts. If not, then Vermont.
uti2

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 08:53:50 PM »

ITT, Non Swing Voter claims that Virginia is as socially liberal as OREGON and MORE socially liberal than DELAWARE all to make himself feel cool, LOL.

That's what NoVA is like though.
uti2

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »

The obvious answer is California.  It's worth noting that Eastern white Democrats are far less SJWish and socially liberal than Western white Democrats (with the possible exception of Vermont).

Depends on how you define 'socially liberal', they're more culturally conservative and nationalistic, sure, but they're also a lot less religious and more pro-choice/pro-gay, etc. socially.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 10:26:05 PM »

NOVA is also where the vast majority of Virginia growth comes from, it will soon be 40% of the population depending upon how you define the boundaries.  I couldn't see RINO Trash's original post because I have him on ignore, but LOL @ him implying that Delaware is more socially liberal than Virginia.  The idiot has probably never been to Virginia (or outside his college dorm for that matter).

You are *ridiculously* abrasive. Why?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »

Depends on how you define 'socially liberal', they're more culturally conservative and nationalistic, sure, but they're also a lot less religious and more pro-choice/pro-gay, etc. socially.

This is the key question, just as the catchall phrase "socially conservative"....

On another thread regarding the most socially conservative state in New England, I tried to pull some numbers by state for three issues:

1.) Abortion
2.) Gay Marriage
3.) Guns

Now arguably socially conservative/liberal positions are more than just these issues... I deliberately excluded certain social conservative/liberal items like Marijuana policy, rates of church attendance, or fringe issues like physician assisted suicide, and ignored items such as economic/foreign policy or what music and TV shows people consume, attitudes towards law enforcement, etc... since although one might be able to make an argument that there are "cultural issues" it does connected to identity, generally many of those items transcend what is considered to be the "core" issues of the Social Conservative movement (the 3rd leg of the Reagan Revolution within the Republican party).

Now all that being said, I am a bit confused about your comments regarding California regarding being more "nationalistic"....

Maybe am just a bit confused or misread, considering that California is not a state that I consider especially Nationalistic by most standards....

One could well make a strong argument potentially that because California is a modern day "Melting Pot", like New York City was 100 years ago, that many minority populations that immigrated from Asia and Latin America, might well consider themselves extremely patriotic and identify with the country of their Birth.

If one looks at the composition of active duty US service members in California, there is definitely a disproportionate concentration of Latino Americans within the US Army and USMC....

My son in law was stationed at Camp Pendleton California, one of only two large US Marine Corp bases in the US, home of the historic 1st Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF).

Because of his preference for primary base locations he was assigned to California, versus North Carolina (Home to 2nd MEF).

This was a time where there were the USMC was still performing a significant role in Afghanistan, to try to clear the ISI (Pakistini) backed Taliban units out of places like Helmand and Kandahar provinces....

Ok--- bit of a digression there, my apologies....

So, if we consider California and "nationalism"---- I agree that many 2nd and 3rd generation Americans from various family histories and country of origin, tend to heavily follow the American tradition from since the first settlers exiled from England that washed up in Plymouth Rock, through religious based colonies assigned from good old King George, through the days of indentured servitude and slavery, to the era of the industrial revolution where suddenly the Irish, Italians, Polish, and Central and Eastern Europeans started to pop up en masse back in the late 1880s/ early 1900s, and fully adopted/inculturated/Internalized the social norms/values/ and foundation myths and social paradigms of the country in which they were raised.

So extremely long digression here, but I don't buy the argument that "Nationalism" from 2nd/3rd generation immigrants from various countries of origin translates into "social conservatism"....

Not sure that this was an argument you are making, but was trying to figure out the context of "nationalism" within modern day Cali.... Wink

uti2

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »

This is the key question, just as the catchall phrase "socially conservative"....

On another thread regarding the most socially conservative state in New England, I tried to pull some numbers by state for three issues:

1.) Abortion
2.) Gay Marriage
3.) Guns

Now arguably socially conservative/liberal positions are more than just these issues... I deliberately excluded certain social conservative/liberal items like Marijuana policy, rates of church attendance, or fringe issues like physician assisted suicide, and ignored items such as economic/foreign policy or what music and TV shows people consume, attitudes towards law enforcement, etc... since although one might be able to make an argument that there are "cultural issues" it does connected to identity, generally many of those items transcend what is considered to be the "core" issues of the Social Conservative movement (the 3rd leg of the Reagan Revolution within the Republican party).

Now all that being said, I am a bit confused about your comments regarding California regarding being more "nationalistic"....

Maybe am just a bit confused or misread, considering that California is not a state that I consider especially Nationalistic by most standards....

One could well make a strong argument potentially that because California is a modern day "Melting Pot", like New York City was 100 years ago, that many minority populations that immigrated from Asia and Latin America, might well consider themselves extremely patriotic and identify with the country of their Birth.

If one looks at the composition of active duty US service members in California, there is definitely a disproportionate concentration of Latino Americans within the US Army and USMC....

My son in law was stationed at Camp Pendleton California, one of only two large US Marine Corp bases in the US, home of the historic 1st Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF).

Because of his preference for primary base locations he was assigned to California, versus North Carolina (Home to 2nd MEF).

This was a time where there were the USMC was still performing a significant role in Afghanistan, to try to clear the ISI (Pakistini) backed Taliban units out of places like Helmand and Kandahar provinces....

Ok--- bit of a digression there, my apologies....

So, if we consider California and "nationalism"---- I agree that many 2nd and 3rd generation Americans from various family histories and country of origin, tend to heavily follow the American tradition from since the first settlers exiled from England that washed up in Plymouth Rock, through religious based colonies assigned from good old King George, through the days of indentured servitude and slavery, to the era of the industrial revolution where suddenly the Irish, Italians, Polish, and Central and Eastern Europeans started to pop up en masse back in the late 1880s/ early 1900s, and fully adopted/inculturated/Internalized the social norms/values/ and foundation myths and social paradigms of the country in which they were raised.

So extremely long digression here, but I don't buy the argument that "Nationalism" from 2nd/3rd generation immigrants from various countries of origin translates into "social conservatism"....

Not sure that this was an argument you are making, but was trying to figure out the context of "nationalism" within modern day Cali.... Wink

I wasn't talking about California, he said that Eastern Whites were less 'sjw-ish', and I was referring to while that may be the case, how they were far less religious and more socially liberal on other issues.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »

Define social issues.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »

NOVA is also where the vast majority of Virginia growth comes from, it will soon be 40% of the population depending upon how you define the boundaries.  I couldn't see RINO Trash's original post because I have him on ignore, but LOL @ him implying that Delaware is more socially liberal than Virginia.  The idiot has probably never been to Virginia (or outside his college dorm for that matter).

You are *ridiculously* abrasive. Why?

Only to one particular sociopath who has been on ignore for months now yet still feels the need to respond to every single post I make.

Right here!
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 05:06:37 PM »

Lol at Non Swing Voter... also NOVA might be socially liberal, but it's actually more like apathetic. Most people here don't vote on the bread and butter cultural issues like guns, abortion, and gay marriage.

Anyways I'd say Massachusetts, but Washington is probably more "progressive".
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »

Absurd.  Not sure what NOVA voters you are talking to, but voters in NOVA are voting democrat precisely because of guns, abortion, and gay marriage.  They are not voting democrat because they need Obamacare or because they want to tax the rich.

It might be in the back of their minds (probably more so abortion and perhaps marijuana nowadays), but I think it's more of the anti-intellectualism and divisive racial rhetoric from the GOP that's turned the area so blue. Also, nowadays Republicans always offer to bring radical change to Washington, and people here realize that affects their livelihood either directly or indirectly.

People talk about how Dems have ignored rural areas, but the Republicans have basically done the same thing with relatively diverse, well-off suburbs. NOVA isn't the only example of this.
uti2

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »

Absurd.  Not sure what NOVA voters you are talking to, but voters in NOVA are voting democrat precisely because of guns, abortion, and gay marriage.  They are not voting democrat because they need Obamacare or because they want to tax the rich.

It might be in the back of their minds (probably more so abortion and perhaps marijuana nowadays), but I think it's more of the anti-intellectualism and divisive racial rhetoric from the GOP that's turned the area so blue. Also, nowadays Republicans always offer to bring radical change to Washington, and people here realize that affects their livelihood either directly or indirectly.

People talk about how Dems have ignored rural areas, but the Republicans have basically done the same thing with relatively diverse, well-off suburbs. NOVA isn't the only example of this.

Does that mean you think someone like Tim Scott could win NoVA in a GE? He is still socially conservative, anti-climate change, etc. Non-Swing's reasoning makes more sense.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 07:56:45 PM »

I wasn't talking about California, he said that Eastern Whites were less 'sjw-ish', and I was referring to while that may be the case, how they were far less religious and more socially liberal on other issues.

Sorry---- my apologies.... caught the Cali reference in your OP and was responding to what I thought was a comment about Cali and not East Coast White voters. My bad... Smiley
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 01:18:20 PM »

Washington.  It voted to legalize marijuana, gay marriage, and assisted suicide all by ballot measures.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 06:06:10 AM »

California isn't uniformly socially liberal.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-proposition-66-death-penalty-passes-1479869920-htmlstory.html

Who is more socially liberal? Someone for gun control and the death penalty, or someone against both?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-proposition-66-death-penalty-passes-1479869920-htmlstory.html

Who is more socially liberal? Someone for gun control and the death penalty, or someone against both?
That is true. Los Angeles County as a whole voted against marijuana legalization. More than 60% of Orange County voted against legalizing marijuana. Some heavily Democratic communities like Hacienda Heights, West Covina, Whittier, Santa Ana, East Garden Grove, and West Anaheim, voted against marijuana legalization by a wide margin.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »

That is true. Los Angeles County as a whole voted against marijuana legalization. More than 60% of Orange County voted against legalizing marijuana. Some heavily Democratic communities like Hacienda Heights, West Covina, Whittier, Santa Ana, East Garden Grove, and West Anaheim, voted against marijuana legalization by a wide margin.

Did pot fail in Southern California as a whole?  Apart from Hollywood, Southern California seems a lot less liberal culturally to me than Northern California.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies