115th Congress - 20/22 Rep. & 8/8 Sen. are Jewish Dems, GOP so poor - Why? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:22:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  115th Congress - 20/22 Rep. & 8/8 Sen. are Jewish Dems, GOP so poor - Why? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 115th Congress - 20/22 Rep. & 8/8 Sen. are Jewish Dems, GOP so poor - Why?  (Read 2146 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« on: January 08, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »

Part of it is that very few Jews live in most of the CD's in which Pubs are competitive.

I don't think that's it, given the not insignificant number of Jews who have been elected as Democrats from congressional districts and states where Jews are only a small share of the population.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:46:29 PM »

Another thing is that Jewish Democrats have an easier time getting elected in districts or states with very few Jews because Democratic voters care far less whether their representative or senator is a Christian.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:00:53 PM »

3. Russian Immigrant Jews: This group will honestly be the future of Jewish Republicans in America, but not right now. These people immigrated to the U.S. in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s (and in some cases, 2000's). So the older generations were "too immigrant" to run for office and the younger generations are only now starting to get to the ripe age of potentially running for office.

There is a problem even with that: it is the older generation that is Republican. The younger generation (those who were born and/or grew up in the US) either remain "too immigrant" or assimilate into the mainstream liberal secular Jewish community of the big cities. Even those of my age (fourty-somethings) tend to be indies or Dems (though, perhaps, somewhat more conservative than most other big-city Jewish Dems). You go younger, and you are more likely to find a Russian-speaking Bernie type than a conservative Republican.  Might be different among the Bukharans - that I do not know. But Ashkenazic Russian Jews are not going to stay a distinct community long enough to make a difference for the Republicans in this respect.

Yeah, the second generation is more liberal than the immigrant generation.  But I suspect they're still more conservative than fourth generation American non-Orthodox Jews.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies