Plea for new Libertarian members.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:38:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Plea for new Libertarian members.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Plea for new Libertarian members.  (Read 2574 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2005, 08:29:04 AM »

Yeah, idiots might get confused, so what? Grin
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2005, 08:34:01 AM »

Perhaps a merger with one of the centrist parties?  The CUP seems the more logical.

Anything to cut down the number of parties and move Atlasia away from the current Weimar system is fine with me.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2005, 09:11:07 AM »

There has been a realignment recently in Atlasian politics, though it has been somewhat subtle, I think the waning fortunes of the Libertarian party may be a symptom of it.

Since May, the balance of power on the left has moved from the FLP (at one point the largest party in Atlasia after the AFDNC defections) to the ILP. The ILP, whilst maintaining its strong socially liberal views, has kept a broad church of economic views and has thus been able to attract several centrists in, most recently Ernest and Cash.

As the ILP continues to compete with the CUP for this part of the ideological spectrum, the CUP is trending towards the right on the ideological spectrum in terms of its membership. Essentially then the CUP becomes a more natural home for libertarian Atlasians, thus making it difficult for the Libertarian party to exist.

I'm not sure how you can ultimately get around this without dying off as a party. Perhaps the fortunes of the other parties will create an opening for you again, though certainly a new high profile member (main candidates DanielX, Colin or Kemp, perhaps even JFK) would go a long way to giving you some new momentum.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2005, 09:27:31 AM »

I would say join the Union Party. We basically share many of the ideas of libertarianism and we allow each member to hold their own opinions and to go against the party if they feel it is necessary. We do not believe in any sort of party disipline and that is why we are able to incorporate people from MAS to KEmp. I'm sure the entire Libertarian Party would be at home in the UP.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2005, 09:31:50 AM »

We basically share many of the ideas of libertarianism and we allow each member to hold their own opinions and to go against the party if they feel it is necessary.
To be fair, the ILP may also be described thus.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2005, 09:38:25 AM »

I'd love to join, but I also want to be an ACA member. I can't be a member of two parties at once, can I? Cheesy
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2005, 10:44:55 AM »

I'd love to join, but I also want to be an ACA member. I can't be a member of two parties at once, can I? Cheesy

I don't think we'd have a problem with that, and you can be in more than one party in real life.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2005, 01:05:42 PM »

But, really, my views have changed since I was last in the ACA, it just doesn't fit me that good anymore.
Actually there are a lot of Libertarian-Conservatives in the ACA (I know you're a bit more Libertarian then them, but still not that much.)
I just think I'd feel more comfortable in the CUP, ILP or, most definitely, the AMRLP Wink
If you decide that the Libertarian Party is unfortunately no longer viable, we at the ILP would love to have you join us!

Emsworth has just gained some points for the ILP, would anyone else like to tell me how much you would love to have me in your party (I'm gonna enjoy this Grin)
Well, I'd love to have you in the CUP.  Smiley
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2005, 04:04:28 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2005, 06:00:06 PM by Everett »

Perhaps CheezeWhiz and John Dibble should try and come to an agreement as to how to deal with this problem... if for some reason or another, they cannot reach an solid agreement within, say, a week or two, I will most likely join the Constitutional Union Party since Alcon has made attempts to bribe me into joining. For now, I'm simply going to step back and let the other two decide on how to handle this because I'm not at all experienced with making big decisions in Fantasy Politics. If they want my input, I'll try to give some, but I'm not really sure what to say about this.

Should the Libertarians emerge from the shadows again, however, I will be more than happy to assist in rebuilding the Party. I suppose that being a real-life Libertarian increases my attachment to the forum Libertarian Party, but unless something is done to increase membership and revitalize it, I'm afraid that there's little I can personally do to assist.

---
If anyone else still wants to bribe me into joining another forum party, you certainly have a lot of freedom to do so. Earlier I respectfully declined Emsworth's invitation, but that doesn't mean that you can't persist. And I promise not to become a banworthy troll. Cheesy

Just keep in mind before trying to attract me into your party that my PC scores generally range from 5.00 to 7.00 Economic, -1.50 to 1.00 Social (the latter changes often for no apparent reason, which can only indicate that I'm either wishy-washy or a centrist). I describe myself as economically Libertarian/conservative and socially centrist. My personal values are much more conservative than they might appear to be, but I would not insist on forcing my ideal morals upon others unless said others are being blatantly immoral (i.e., premarital sex is one thing, but pedophilia is another). They tend to fluctuate depending on what happens. However, my economic views are pretty much set in stone, and as of late they have only been shifting more and more to the right. Tongue I fit in great with Libertarians, but if there are any other pseudo-Libertarian parties out there... feel free to bug me.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2005, 04:10:51 PM »

If anyone else still wants to bribe me into joining another forum party, you certainly have a lot of freedom to do so. Earlier I respectfully declined Emsworth's invitation, but that doesn't mean that you can't persist.
I bid $100! Smiley

To be completely honest, though: your economic PC scores are somewhat different from the average ILP member. However, the party does have a very broad spectrum on economic views; the highest economic score, as far as I am aware, is about 5.5 (mine). So you would not necessarily be an outlier.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2005, 05:35:05 PM »

I might take this time to remind Everett, and anyone else who cares, that opebo is in the Independent Liberal party.  I don't know what that means exactly, but I think you can decide for yourself.

As far as I'm concerned (from the chairman) we'd love to have you in the Union Party, Everett.  You're a good forum member and an excellent contributor.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2005, 05:37:15 PM »

I might take this time to remind Everett, and anyone else who cares, that opebo is in the Independent Liberal party.  I don't know what that means exactly, but I think you can decide for yourself.
It means, I believe, that we are tolerant of a variety of people. Their personal proclivities do not reflect the positions of the party.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2005, 06:02:56 PM »

It means, I believe, that we are tolerant of a variety of people. Their personal proclivities do not reflect the positions of the party.

I'm just giving a friendly reminder of who actually is in the party, nothing else.  I am certainly not coming to any conclusions.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2005, 06:04:25 PM »

Join the Union because I'm in it and if I'm in it then it is the best party ever. Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2005, 06:06:52 PM »

If the Libertarians do die, I will consider joining the AMRLP

I'd love to have you Cheesy

You would double our membership Smiley

Then we could change our name to MMRLP (Midwestern Monster Raving Loony Party).  Or we could form the MAP (Midwestern Alliance Party) Cheesy

I don't think we'd have a problem with that, and you can be in more than one party in real life.

Oooh, oooh, this is exciting!  I get to act in an official capacity!

You can't do that, IIRC, though I do not have a copy of the Constitution with me.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2005, 06:18:15 PM »

You could consider forming the Liberty Caucus, similar to the one in real life. There is already a Progressive Caucus in Atlasia formed after the Progressive Party disbanded. The Libertarian Party could do the same thing.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2005, 05:30:57 AM »

Isn't the job of the Liberty Caucus pretty much done by the ACLC already?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2005, 01:04:10 PM »

Isn't the job of the Liberty Caucus pretty much done by the ACLC already?

ACLC is, I think, only socially libertarian. A Liberty Caucus, I guess, would be both fiscally conservative and socially libertarian.

I would join!
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2005, 05:50:20 PM »

Well our version of the American Civil Liberties Union is the Atlasian Civil Liberties Caucus. So the names can get confusing. The Liberty Caucus is for Libertarians (like Ron Paul) in Congress. I think the ACLU would be more related to a real life Progressive Caucus than the Liberty Caucus.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2005, 06:06:11 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2005, 06:07:56 PM by Everett »

Join the Union because I'm in it and if I'm in it then it is the best party ever. Smiley
Well, since you live in my city, it must be the best city ever, right? Tongue

I'm leaning more towards moving into the Union Party if the Libertarian Party dies. If the party platforms are available somewhere, I'll definitely read them before making any final decisions.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2005, 06:08:02 PM »

Best Party - Union
Best City - San Jose
Best County - Santa Clara
Best State - California
Best Country - United States
Best Continent - North America
Best Planet - Earth
Best Galaxy - The Milky Way
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2005, 06:50:04 PM »

Best Party - Union
Best City - San Jose
Best County - Santa Clara
Best State - California
Best Country - United States
Best Continent - North America
Best Planet - Earth
Best Galaxy - The Milky Way
you were close, King, but you didnt quite get it. here are the correct answers:

Best Party:ILP
Best City:Reading
Best County:Berks
Best State:Pennsylvania
Best Country:USA
Best Planet:Earth
Best Galaxy:Andromeda

good try. your score: 2/7. Smiley
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2005, 12:44:35 PM »

I have decided to leave the Libertarian Party, the way I see it, we have four options if we wish to stay alive and active, 1) Make the party a bigger tent, in which case, we’ll pretty much be the CUP, 2) Get a new, active member; I’ve already tried to do this, and it would probably only help us for a short time, anyway, 3) Become the Liberty caucus, which, imo, isn’t a bad idea, or 4) Dissolve, it’s your choose.  I’m going to join my buddy ilikeverin in the AMRLP, (which will soon become the MAP Wink) until I decide which serious party I should join.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2005, 01:00:25 PM »

3) Become the Liberty caucus, which, imo, isn’t a bad idea

Probably the best idea.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2005, 02:51:02 PM »

Yeah, I’d make it, but I don’t have time right now to run a caucus.  But, if anyone else wants to makes it, I’ll join Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies