No Apology: A History of the Romney Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:06:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  No Apology: A History of the Romney Administration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: No Apology: A History of the Romney Administration  (Read 31557 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:36:20 PM »

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 09:29:27 PM »

Yes. I promised to continue this and do it my way. While I'm not currently on AH.com, that will not stop me and I intend to finish this TL. Can you tell the others on AH.com that the TL is now here?
Oppo

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 09:54:48 PM »

Yes. I promised to continue this and do it my way. While I'm not currently on AH.com, that will not stop me and I intend to finish this TL. Can you tell the others on AH.com that the TL is now here?
Don't worry, we have.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 09:56:49 PM »

Don't worry, we have.

I saw. While I can't currently post on the site, I can still see it and I have seen the Gore thread for instance.
The Congressman
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 12:00:30 AM »

Hi Pericles. Thank you for continuing this!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 12:26:48 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2017, 12:29:35 AM by Pericles »

This update just sets the scene, the divergence from reality is still coming.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
OBAMA SHELLACKED IN MIDTERM ELECTIONS-NOVEMBER 3, 2010
REPUBLICANS GAIN 63 SEATS IN HOUSE, GET HOUSE MAJORITY, GAIN 6 SENATE SEATS
GOP HOUSE, DEMOCRAT SENATE MEANS DIVIDED GOVERNMENT, ROADBLOCK ON OBAMA AGENDA
REPUBLICANS GAIN MAJORITY OF GOVERNORSHIPS, STATE LEGISLATURES
 ​

President Barack Obama received a shellacking in last night's midterm elections. Republicans gained 6 Senate seats, bringing the Democrats down to just 53 seats (counting the 2 Democrat-caucusing Independents). In the House Republicans won back their majority, just four years after losing it, and gained 63 seats. John Boehner on January 3 will be taking the gavel as Speaker of the House. This places a big roadblock in front of President Obama's agenda. The 2010 results were a clear vote for change and a rejection of President Obama. His failure to restart the economy, which is still suffering from near double-digit unemployment and anemic growth, Obamacare, the stimulus and high deficits have been punished at the polls. Obama's approval rating hovers in the mid 40s, far down from his dizzying highs upon entering office. Many feel the promise of his 2008 campaign has been let down by his tenure in office. The elections also showed the power of the insurgent Tea Party, which won key contests and energised the GOP base against the President and the Democrats, as well as against the party's own establishment. The Tea Party produced rising stars like Rand Paul and Marco Rubio, who won upset victories in key Senate races. However some have alleged they threw away several winnable races with bad candidates, such as the Delaware and Nevada Senate races. The midterms do not bode well for Obama's 2012 re-election, though Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan had bad midterms too. Still, after Obama ran on change in 2008, he now looks to be the victim of the voter desire for change.
WIKILEAKS LEAKS THOUSANDS OF CONFIDENTIAL US DOCUMENTS-NOVEMBER 28, 2010

TUNISIAN MOHAMMED BOUAZIZI SETS SELF ON FIRE IN PROTEST AGAINST REGIME-DECEMBER 17, 2010
PROTESTS ERUPT AGAINST AUTOCRATIC TUNISIAN REGIME

112TH CONGRESS SWORN IN, BOEHNER TAKES SPEAKER'S GAVEL FROM PELOSI-JANUARY 3, 2011

TUNISIAN GOVERNMENT FALLS AFTER MONTH OF PROTESTS, PRESIDENT FLEES TO SAUDI ARABIA-JANUARY 14, 2011
PROTESTS SPREAD ACROSS ARAB WORLD AGAINST DICTATORS

MITT ROMNEY WINS NH STRAW POLL WITH 35% OF VOTE-JANUARY 22, 2011

Former Massachusetts Governor and 2008 presidential candidate Mitt Romney won a straw poll for the 2012 New Hampshire primary. The poll was non-binding, but could be a sign for the race to come. Romney won with 35%, beating out the other contenders and getting the lead in New Hampshire. Romney is a frontrunner for the 2012 race, and looks likely to be the establishment candidate in the GOP primary. Last year he published his best selling memoir No Apology, which was seen by many as a stepping stone to a 2012 run. Romney does have the weaknesses of his flip-flops and perceived inauthenticity, as well as his Mormon religion, but he starts out with strong establishment support and money, the experience of a previous run and the sense that, unlike some contenders, he is a serious contender and presidential.
EGYPTIAN PRESIDENT HOSNI MUBARAK DEPOSED, REVOLUTION SPREADS ACROSS ARAB WORLD-FEBRUARY 11, 2011

FORMER OBAMA CHIEF OF STAFF RAHM EMANUEL ELECTED CHICAGO MAYOR-FEBRUARY 22, 2011

OBAMA APPROVAL RATING AT 46%-FEBRUARY 28, 2011
WEAK ECONOMY THREATENS TO CRIPPLE OBAMA RE-ELECTION HOPES

UNEMPLOYMENT STUBBORNLY HIGH AT 8.9%, ECONOMY SHRINKS BY 1.5%-MARCH 1, 2011
NEWT GINGRICH FORMS EXPLORATORY COMMITTEE FOR 2012 RUN-MARCH 3, 2011

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has formed an exploratory committee for a run for President in the 2012 election. Gingrich was Speaker of the House from 1995 to 1999. Swept into office leading a 'Republican Revolution', Gingrich sought to implement a hardline conservative agenda in the 'Contract with America'. Gingrich however came under fire for his role in the 1995-1996 government shutdown, and faced ethics scandals of his own. He was forced out after his push to impeach President Bill Clinton backfired resulting in GOP losses in the 1998 midterms. Gingrich, despite his long political career and deep involvement in Washington, has never been part of the party establishment and remains a conservative firebrand. Most pundits say he is a long-shot at best, and most likely a no-shot.
CONGRESS BATTLES OVER BUDGET, GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN LOOMS

NO-FLY ZONE FORMED OVER LIBYA AS DICTATOR GADDAFI MOVES TO CRUSH REBELS-MARCH 17, 2011

MINNESOTA GOVERNOR TIM PAWLENTY FORMS EXPLORATORY COMMITTE FOR POTUS RUN-MARCH 21, 2011

DONALD TRUMP DEMANDS OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE-APRIL 7, 2011
BILLIONAIRE FLIRTS WITH RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, POLLS PUT TRUMP AS A FRONTRUNNER IN GOP RACE

Billionaire Donald Trump is demanding President Obama release his long-form birth certificate. Trump is a famous real estate tycoon and producer of The Celebrity Apprentice. The brash billionaire has made his views public in recent weeks that he doubts President Obama is an American citizen. He said on Good Morning America that "there’s something on that birth certificate that he doesn’t like", a comment which host Whoopi Goldberg described as "the biggest pile of dog mess I’ve heard in ages." Trump's birther views have made him popular with the Republican base. A recent poll showed him leading the Republican field with 19% to Mitt Romney's 16% support.
MITT ROMNEY FORMS EXPLORATORY COMMITTEE FOR PRESIDENTIAL RUN-APRIL 11, 2011
ROMNEY LEADS PRIMARY FIELD WITH 18% SUPPORT

OBAMA APPROVAL RATING AT 43%-APRIL 24, 2011

PRESIDENT OBAMA RELEASES LONG-FORM BIRTH CERTIFICATE
BIRTH CERTIFICATE CONFIRMS OBAMA WAS BORN ON AUGUST 4, 1961, IN HONOLULU, HAWAII
TRUMP TAKES CREDIT FOR RELEASE OF BIRTH CERTIFICATE, PATS SELF ON BACK

Ricochetrabbit77
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 01:31:18 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2017, 01:40:48 AM by Ricochetrabbit77 »

I just found this on AH this morning and was pretty annoyed when I saw where things were going, so good to see this continue.
Israel
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »

The timeline goes on!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 03:21:38 AM »

PRESIDENT OBAMA ROASTS TRUMP AT WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENT'S DINNER-MAY 1, 2011

The White House Correspondent's Dinner is an annual tradition in Washington, dating back to 1920. It is customary for the President and Vice-President to attend. This year, President Obama got the chance to roast his opponents. Obama drew headlines, and the anger of The Donald in the audience, when he roasted Donald Trump, saying "No one is happier, no one is prouder, to put this birth certificate matter to rest than the Donald. And that's because he can finally get back to focusing on the issues that matter. Like, did we fake the moon landing? What really happened in Roswell? And where are Biggie and Tupac?" The crowd roared with delight, but Obama wasn't finished "The men's cooking team did not impress the judges from Omaha Steaks, and there was a lot of blame to go around. But you, Mr Trump, recognised the real problem was a lack of leadership. And so, ultimately, you didn't blame Lil Jon or Meat Loaf. You fired Gary Busey. And these are the kinds of decisions that would keep me up at night. Well handled, sir. Well handled." One of Obama's jokes did fall flat, about Tim Pawlenty "He seems all American, but have you heard his real middle name. Tim Hosni Pawlenty." Later, it came out that originally 'Hosni' was supposed to be 'Osama bin'. As Obama was joking, a disaster unfolded in Pakistan that would cripple his presidency.
OPERATION NEPTUNE SPEAR A DISASTER-MAY 2, 2011
13 US SOLDIERS DEAD, REST CAPTURED BY PAKISTANI ARMY
OSAMA BIN LADEN NOT FOUND IN RAID ON COMPOUND

A raid to capture Osama bin Laden has ended in disaster. US Navy SEALs stormed a compound in Abbotabad, Pakistan, that was thought to contain Osama bin Laden. The SEALs burst into the compound, but encountered fierce resistance. A bomb went off outside the compound, killing 5 SEALs. SEALs managed to overcome resistance, only to find Bin Laden was not in the compound at all. Pakistani troops arrived soon afterwards, and after a short firefight with US forces captured the remaining SEALs. The operation, Operation Neptune Spear, was a disaster, resulting in heavy US casualties, angering a key US ally and failing to capture Bin Laden. Pakistan has demanded an apology from the US for the 'invasion of sovereignty.'
PRESIDENT OBAMA GIVES ADDRESS TO NATION FOLLOWING OPERATION NEPTUNE SPEAR DISASTER-MAY 2, 2011

President Obama has addressed the nation following Operation Neptune Spear. He said "We have made a raid to kill Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaeda, and a terrorist who was responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children...it was not successful. I will do everything in my power to ensure that the US Navy SEALs return home to United States soil. And I offer my condolences do the families of those who died in this operation, rest assured, they did not die in vain." Obama defended the operation, saying "There was a 50-50 chance Bin Laden was in the compound. And I was determined to see to it that this terrorist was brought to justice." Obama defended the War on Terror, saying despite the raid the Taliban had been overthrown, Al-Qaeda operations disrupted, strengthened homeland defenses and killed Al-Qaeda operatives. Obama vowed that "Osama bin Laden will be found, and justice will be done."
REPUBLICANS ATTACK OBAMA ON OPERATION NEPTUNE SPEAR
MITT ROMNEY: OBAMA WEAK ON NATIONAL SECURITY, 21ST CENTURY JIMMY CARTER
JOHN BOEHNER: OBAMA'S BAD JUDGEMENT, WEAKNESS COST US SEALS LIVES, REPUTATION, CHANCE TO GET BIN LADEN
NEWT GINGRICH: OPERATION NEPTUNE SPEAR PROVES BARACK OBAMA IS DISASTER AS PRESIDENT, UNFIT TO LEAD

OBAMA APPROVAL RATING FALLS TO 39%-MAY 2, 2011

PAKISTAN DEMANDS US APOLOGY, COMPENSATION BEFORE RELEASE OF SEALS-MAY 3, 2011
DID PAKISTAN HIDE BIN LADEN?
 ​
Operation Neptune Spear has caused a diplomatic crisis. 66 US Navy SEALs are being held hostage by the Pakistani military after they were captured in the operation. Pakistan is furious at the invasion of its sovereignty by US forces. It comes out that Obama only informed the Pakistani government of the operation when the raid was occurring and there was no cooperation between the countries. Protesters have flocked to the streets in Pakistan, with reports of effigies of President Obama being burnt. Pakistani Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani "Our people are rightly incensed on the issue of violation of sovereignty as typified by the covert U.S. air and ground assault on the compound in Abbottabad. ... The Security Council, while exhorting UN member states to join their efforts against terrorism, has repeatedly emphasized that this be done in accordance with international law, human rights and humanitarian law. That such an assault on our sovereignty and dignity as a nation would be done without our warning or due cause or evidence is wrong and will not go unpunished."
OBAMA CABINET WAS DIVIDED ON OPERATION NEPTUNE SPEAR, BIDEN, GATES OPPOSED, HILLARY CLINTON IN FAVOR-MAY 4, 2011
BIDEN REPORTEDLY WARNED OBAMA TO WAIT FOR MORE INTEL, HE WAS GAMBLING HIS PRESIDENCY ON RAID

RAID, HOSTAGE CRISIS EVOKES OBAMA-CARTER COMPARISONS

AL-QAEDA MOCKS US, OBAMA: BIN LADEN ALIVE AND WELL-MAY 8, 2011

Al-Qaeda has issued a statement, confirming Osama bin Laden is still alive after Operation Neptune Spear. The terrorist group declared "The infidel has yet again failed to suppress us. We will continue the fight and win against the Americans. Osama bin Laden, our holy warrior, lives and will continue to fight the holy war against America and its allies. Obama can try defeat us, but he will fail. He is weak and puny, and we shall defeat him and the Americans." Al-Qaeda also promised further attacks on the US, and claims to be emboldened by the "stumbles of the enemy." Republicans have quickly pounced, attacking the President further, with Mitt Romney saying "Our enemies mock us and know we are not serious. Our friends disrespect us and do not listen to us. It is abundantly clear that weakness is the hallmark of the Obama administration, and we need a President who will make America strong and respected again."
US ISSUES APOLOGY TO PAKISTAN FOR RAID, PROMISES $60 MILLION-MAY 20, 2011

The United States has capitulated to Pakistani demands in the hostage crisis. Pakistan has received an apology from the US and monetary compensation. The 66 SEALs held hostage are expected to be released by the end of the month. The administration defended the deal, saying "We have done what is right to get our SEALs home and protect our national interests." However a poll shows 57% of Americans are opposed to the deal. The Republicans have attacked Obama as weak, again. Presidential candidate Jon Huntsman said President Obama "has no spine."
OBAMA APPROVAL RATING AT 37%-MAY 30, 2011
OBAMA RE-ELECTION CHANCES FALL AFTER OPERATION NEPTUNE SPEAR
DEBT CEILING CRISIS THREATENS TO FURTHER IMPERIL THE PRESIDENT

MITT ROMNEY ANNOUNCES HE IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT-JUNE 2, 2011

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney has thrown his hat into the ring, announcing he is running for President. Romney is the frontrunner for the Republican race, with a recent poll putting him at 35% support(without Sarah Palin running). Romney announced in New Hampshire with an open-collar shirt on a farm trailer, at a "Cookout with Mitt and Ann", where Ann Romney dished out their favorite chilli to supporters. He sought to heal his vulnerabilities, presenting himself as easy-going and touting his electability against Obama. Romney presented himself as a turn-around expert with private-sector experience, and he hopes to turn around America as he did the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Romney unleashed an attack on President Obama, saying he has "failed America." The GOP frontrunner said "Three years into his four-year term, we have more than slogans to judge Barack Obama by. Barack Obama has failed America. His America is weak and disrespected abroad, where terrorists are emboldened to attack us, and our allies emboldened to disrespect us. At home, our economy is in the worst shape in nearly 100 years, where the malaise we face is treated as the best we can do. I believe we can do better." Romney said "the country we love is in peril" and that Obama has drawn “inspiration from the capitals of Europe" for his policies. Romney promised to shrink government and return responsibilities to the states, starting with a repeal of Obamacare. He also promised to "restore our national security" to "destroy the terrorists" and "finally be a strong leader that can protect America, be feared by our enemies and respected by our allies. Romney is focusing on the economy as priority number one “From my first day in office, my number one job will be to see that America once again is number one in job creation,” Romney said. “I am Mitt Romney, I believe in America, and I’m running for president of the United States,” he said, with a 250-year-old white barn and American flags behind him.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:19 PM »

Very interesting! 2012 was not unwinnable for Republicans, so it'll be fascinating to see how this goes.

Current prediction:

Obama - 217
Romney - 321

This scenario assumes a Romney victory with a 5 million lead in the popular vote (like OTL 2012 flipped). Romney gets his actual results plus FL, VA, PA, NH, OH, WI, IA, CO, and AZ. I kept MI, MN, and ME-02 Democratic since I feel it's too early for them to flip and Trump's appeal in those regions was largely to the WWC (I don't believe Romney ran a campaign focused on this demographic).
The Congressman
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 09:37:48 PM »

Please continue with this Smiley
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »

Yes I will but I have less Internet access than usual and am only using it due to having a mobile hotshot and I don't want to use it up. Still, more coming soon!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 03:27:33 AM »

RICK SANTORUM ANNOUNCES HE IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT-JUNE 6, 2011
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 03:13:33 AM »

MICHELE BACHMANN WINS AMES STRAW POLL-AUGUST 13, 2011

Firebrand Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann has scored a win in the Ames Straw Poll. The straw poll is non-binding but is seen as a test of candidate strength in the critical state of Iowa, which will vote first with the Iowa caucus. She got 28.6% of the vote to 27.7% for libertarian Congressman Ron Paul and just 13.6% for Governor Tim Pawlenty. Pawlenty is expected to end his campaign after his loss. Mitt Romney declined to compete in the Straw Poll however. Bachmann is also set to be hurt by Texas Governor Rick Perry announcing his candidacy.
TEXAS GOVERNOR RICK PERRY JUMPS INTO 2012 RACE-AUGUST 13, 2011

Texas Governor Rick Perry has jumped into the race for President. Perry has been Governor of Texas since 2001 when George W Bush became President, and has been a solidly conservative Governor. Perry has taken hardline positions in recent years, including some potentially troubling statements, w such as in 2009 when he hinted at Texas seceding from the union, and his book Fed Up! which called Social Security a 'ponzi scheme' and charged the 16th and 17th Amendments were mistakes. However, Perry, with his southerness, evangelical faith and Tea Party credentials is a formidable candidate in the Republican primary. Perry can also point to Texas's economic record, where his strong job creation record and lax regulations appealed to conservatives. Perry could pose a clear contrast to Mitt Romney and emerge as the conservative alternative to the frontrunner. A conservative Texas governor has won before, in 2000. That could be a good sign for Perry, or a liability.
RICK PERRY SOARS IN POLLS AHEAD OF ROMNEY

ZERO JOB GROWTH IN AUGUST 2011-SEPTEMBER 1, 2011
 ​
Zero jobs were added in the last month. Exactly zero. It seems incredible, but it is true. The number is terrible symbolically for the Obama administration, even a slight decrease in jobs would have been preferable to the symbolism of zero job growth. Unemployment is stubbornly high at 9.1%, and shows no signs of going down any time soon. People aren't being laid off, but companies are reluctant to hire new employees, leaving millions still unemployed and hurting those entering the labor market. Financial uncertainty in Europe and political dysfunction in the US has sent confidence plummeting. The economy remains weak and economists project only small decreases in unemployment in the coming year. There are fears the US is entering a double-dip recession. Republicans have seized on the numbers, with Mitt Romney calling President Obama the "Zero Growth President."
MITT ROMNEY RELEASES 161-PAGE BLUEPRINT FOR REVIVING AMERICAN ECONOMY-SEPTEMBER 6, 2011

PERRY LOSES DEBATE AT REAGAN PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY-SEPTEMBER 6, 2011
ROMNEY HITS PERRY ON JOBS, CLAIMS HE'S NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR JOB GROWTH IN TEXAS
PERRY: I FEEL LIKE THE PINATA IN HERE

Rick Perry got beaten back in the September 6 presidential debate, held in the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California. Romney attacked Perry on Social Security, citing his book Fed Up! where he alleged the third rail of American politics was a 'ponzi scheme'. Romney also hit back on Perry's claims to be a job creator in Texas, saying "Texas has zero income tax. Texas has a right-to-work state, a Republican legislature, a Republican Supreme Court. Those are wonderful things, but Governor Perry doesn't claim to have created all those things. If he did, it would be like claiming Al Gore invented the Internet." Perry fired back "Michael Dukakis created jobs three times faster than you did, Governor." Romney was quick on his feet with a comeback "Well, as a matter of fact, George Bush and his predecessors created jobs at a faster rate than you did, Governor." The field piled on the new frontrunner Perry, who exclaimed in the middle "I feel like the pinata in here." The verdict on the debate was that Perry started OK but sagged halfway through. Governor Romney probably hopes that will be the fate of Perry's campaign, a rocket boost start before quickly running out of gas.
PERRY BATTERED AGAIN IN TAMPA DEBATE-SEPTEMBER 12, 2011

REPUBLICAN BOB TURNER WINS NY DISTRICT 9, FIRST REPUBLICAN IN 98 YEARS TO WIN THE SEAT-SEPTEMBER 13, 2011

Disgraced former Congressman Anthony Weiner's seat has been won by a Republican. Bob Turner won the seat in an upset win, with a 9.5% margin over Democrat candidate David Weprin. The seat is traditionally Democratic, having voted for John Kerry by 12% in 2004 and 11% by Obama in 2008, and not having sent a Republican to Congress for 98 years. The election was seen as a referendum on President Obama. Turner attacked the President and said his Democratic opponent would be a puppet for the 'anti-Israel' President. Turner won the votes of many Orthodox Jews and the seat by attacking Obama's stance on Israel and arguing the President was weak on national security, including running an ad showing clips of 9/11 and Operation Neptune Spear saying "New York needs a leader who can protect us from our enemies." President Obama and his puppets are too weak to do that. Vote Bob Turner for Congressman on September 13." While minor, coming after Operation Neptune Spear, the debt ceiling debacle and zero job growth, it is another slap in the face for an embattled President.
'OCCUPY WALL STREET' PROTESTERS TAKE TO THE STREETS-SEPTEMBER 17, 2011

DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY POLL: 77% OBAMA, 11% SANDERS-SEPTEMBER 18, 2011
SENATOR SANDERS 'UNDECIDED' ON PRIMARY CHALLENGE TO PRESIDENT

PRESIDENT OBAMA URGES CONGRESS TO PASS $450 BILLION AMERICAN JOBS ACT-SEPTEMBER 19, 2011
REPUBLICANS OPPOSED TO AMERICAN JOBS ACT, COMPARE IT TO 2009 STIMULUS

PERRY MAULS SELF AT ORLANDO DEBATE-SEPTEMBER 22, 2011

The Republican primary presidential debate held in Orlando, Florida, was disastrous for one man, Rick Perry. Perry had gone through two bad debates, but retained a poll lead over Mitt Romney. However he has likely thrown away his frontrunner status at the debate. Governor Mitt Romney challenged Governor Perry on immigration, specifically on Perry giving in-state tuition benefits to illegal immigrants as Governor. Romney said "If you're a United States citizen from any of the other 49 states, you have to pay $100,000 more (than the child of an 'illegal alien'), that doesn't make sense to me." Perry touted his commitment to border security, but then veered off message "If you say that we shouldn't educate children who have come into our state for no other reason than they've been brought there by no fault of their own, I don't think you have a heart." Calling immigration hawks heartless in a Republican primary was not a good move, to say the least. At the end of the debate, Perry tried to attack Romneycare, but sounded more like a drunk at the bar than a presidential candidate "I think Americans just don't know sometimes which Mitt Romney they're dealing with. Is this the Mitt Romney who was on the side of. against the Second Amendment before he was for the Second Amendment? Was it, was before. he was before the social programs from the standpoint of-he was standing up for Roe vs Wade before he was against first Roe vs Wade? He was for Race to the Top. He was for Obamacare and now he's against it. I mean. we'll wait until tomorrow and, and see which Mitt Romney we're really talking to tonight." Needless to say, Perry lost the debate.
HERMAN CAIN WINS FLORIDA STRAW POLL, PERRY CRUSHED-SEPTEMBER 26, 2011

BERNIE SANDERS RULES OUT 2012 RUN-OCTOBER 1, 2011

NEW JERSEY GOVERNOR CHRIS CHRISTIE NOT RUNNING-OCTOBER 4, 2011

RCP AVERAGE:
ROMNEY 22%, PERRY 19.4%, CAIN 13.7%-OCTOBER 4, 2011

MIKE GRAVEL TO CHALLENGE PRESIDENT OBAMA IN DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY-OCTOBER 5, 2011

Former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel has announced he will be running for President in 2012, and challenging President Obama in the Democratic Primary. Gravel was Senator for Alaska from 1969 to 1981. Gravel made a quixotic run for President in 2008, which is perhaps most famous for a video of him throwing a rock in the water. Gravel is far to the left of the establishment, calling for an end to the War on Drugs, saying Bush and Cheney should have been tried in the Hague, anti-'American imperialism', and supporting a carbon tax, among other positions. Gravel said "President Obama and the Republicans are two sides of the same coin. I am the candidate for change in this country." Gravel's candidacy is dismissed as 'unserious' by pundits, but the left of the party has become increasingly dissatisfied with President Obama. Obama's approval rating is currently in the high 30s, and the President is vulnerable and unpopular.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 11:37:43 PM »

CHRIS CHRISTIE ENDORSES MITT ROMNEY-OCTOBER 11, 2011

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has endorsed former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney for President of the United States. Christie is a rising star in the Republican Party, having been elected Governor in 2009 and touted as a potential presidential candidate in 2012. Christie was popular with conservative donors, but he declined to run last week. Christie's endorsement signals to donors that Romney is the horse to bet on, and opens up fundraising in New Jersey for Romney. Christie declared "America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. Mitt Romney's the man we need to lead America, and we need him now." It seems the Republican party establishment is coalescing behind Mitt Romney. As Bill Clinton once said "Democrats want to fall in love, Republicans just fall in line."
FORMER LIBYAN DICTATOR GADDAFI DRAGGED FROM SEWER, KILLED-OCTOBER 20, 2011

HERMAN CAIN RISING IN POLLS

Herman Cain is rising in Republican primary polls. Cain is a former pizza CEO and is also notable for being an African-American candidate in the Republican field. Cain is a shrewd marketer, and his tax plan is 9-9-9-9, which replaces the tax code with a flat 9% tax rate on sales, personal income and business transactions. Cain is rising in the polls after a series of flamboyant debate performances. Sarah Palin praised "Herb" but said he is the "flavor of the week", to which Cain replied "I happen to believe there's ice milk and Haagen-Dasz, I'm Haagen-Dasz Black Walnut. It lasts longer than a week." Cain seems to be part of a tendency in the race of rapid ups and downs in the polls among the not-Romney candidates. The Republican base remains wary of Mitt Romney, with his Massachusetts record and Romneycare, however no candidate so far has managed to fill the not-Romney space in the field. It remains to be seen if Herman Cain can be that candidate.
GRAVEL ATTACKS OBAMA: PRESIDENT OBAMA HAS FAILED AMERICA-OCTOBER 23, 2011

DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY POLL:
78% OBAMA, 9% GRAVEL-OCTOBER 25, 2011

WHITE HOUSE DECLINES TO DEBATE GRAVEL, LABELS HIM 'FRINGE CANDIDATE'-OCTOBER 27, 2011
LEAKS SHOW WHITE HOUSE RAISING MONEY FOR PRIMARY, 'ANGST' AT POTENTIAL DAMAGE FROM GRAVEL

CAIN HIT BY SEXUAL HARASSMENT ALLEGATIONS-OCTOBER 31, 2011

PERRY AT DEBATE: 'OOPS'-NOVEMBER 9, 2011

Rick Perry flunked the Republican primary presidential debate. Perry, already deep in the depths after poor debate performances, likely pulled the trigger to his head to end whatever chance left that he had. Perry said "it's three agencies of government when I get there that are gone: Commerce, Education and the, uh, ummm, what's the third one there? Let's see...?" Ron Paul shouted "You need five!" Perry had another shot "Commerce, Education, and the uhm, uh, ahhh.." Romney tried to give a helping hand "EPA?" "EPA! There you go!" Perry said "No..." The audience was laughing now. The moderator asked "Seriously? Is EPA the one you were talking about?" "No sir. No sir." Perry said. "You can't name the third one?" Perry gave up "The third agency of government, I would do away with the Education, the, uh, Commerce, and let's see, I can't name the third one, I'm sorry. Oops."
OBAMA APPROVAL RATING AT 40%-NOVEMBER 14, 2011
NEWT GINGRICH RISES TO FIRST PLACE IN NATIONAL POLLS

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has risen to first place in national polls, taking the lead from Mitt Romney. Gingrich was the firebrand Speaker of the House from 1995 to 1999, and rival of Bill Clinton. Gingrich was forced out after the 1998 midterms when Clinton's impeachment backfired. Gingrich's campaign so far had not caught on, with Gingrich taking a summer vacation in the middle of the campaign and having his organisation implode. However Gingrich has done well in the debates and with the other not-Romneys self-destructing he has risen to the top of the field. Gingrich is rallying conservatives behind him and has risen to a lead nationally and in Iowa, South Carolina and Florida. However, there remains a sense that Gingrich has 'baggage' and his past could come back to haunt him.
GINGRICH 21 POINTS AHEAD OF ROMNEY IN NEW RASMUSSEN POLL-DECEMBER 2, 2011

PRO-ROMNEY SUPER PAC RESTORE OUR FUTURE OPENS FIRE ON GINGRICH

ROMNEY REFUSES TO CALL OFF SUPER PAC ADS AGAINST GINGRICH-DECEMBER 20, 2011
"IF WE COMMUNICATE, WE GO TO THE BIG HOUSE"

ESTABLISHMENT OPENS FIRE ON GINGRICH
BOB DOLE WARNS GINGRICH WOULD GUARANTEE OBAMA LANDSLIDE
JIM TALENT: GINGRICH NOT RELIABLE OR TRUSTWORTHY LEADER
SUNUNU SAYS GINGRICH DISS OF RYAN BUDGET 'SELF-SERVING", "ANTI-CONSERVATIVE"
GINGRICH'S FORMER HOUSE COLLEAGUES SLAM HIM, QUESTION CHARACTER, FITNESS TO SERVE

ROMNEY 1ST, PAUL 2ND, SANTORUM 3RD, GINGRICH 4TH AT 12% IN DES MOINES REGISTER POLL-DECEMBER 31, 2011

GINGRICH: I'VE BEEN 'ROMNEY BOATED'-JANUARY 1, 2012

RICK SANTORUM SURGES IN FINAL IOWA POLLS-JANUARY 2, 2012

GRAVEL COULD GET DOUBLE DIGITS IN IOWA AGAINST OBAMA-JANUARY 2, 2012

OBAMA DISMISSES GRAVEL AS 'KOOK', GRAVEL SAYS HE IS 'ONLY SENSIBLE CHOICE' TO 'OBAMA AND WASHINGTON'S FAILURE'-JANUARY 2, 2012
MIKE GRAVEL SEES RISE IN DONATIONS, POLL NUMBERS
DEMOCRATIC IOWA POLL: 73% OBAMA, 15% GRAVEL

RCP AVERAGE-IOWA CAUCUS: -JANUARY 2, 2012
ROMNEY 23.6%, PAUL 21.6%, SANTORUM 16.1%, GINGRICH 13.4%

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »

Thoughts?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »

I'm loving it. Looking forward to seeing how the primaries and general election go (although I think the title kind of gives it away).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 12:45:02 AM »

I'm loving it. Looking forward to seeing how the primaries and general election go (although I think the title kind of gives it away).

Thanks! How exactly the primaries and the whole campaign goes is still unclear(I know it but you'll find out in the coming updates). Spoiler alert: Mitt Romney will be elected President in 2012 as the 45th President. However, how he gets there and what he does there is far from settled. Stay tuned for more!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »

Who do you think will win Iowa?
R/H
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »

Romney
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »

MITT ROMNEY WINS IOWA CAUCUSES!-JANUARY 3, 2012

Iowa caucus results-Republican
Mitt Romney-25.03%
Rick Santorum-23.24%
Ron Paul-22.31%
Newt Gingrich-13.08%
Rick Perry-10.53%
Michele Bachmann-4.92%
Jon Huntsman-0.63%​
Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney won the Iowa caucuses. Romney won narrowly, but clearly enough. Iowa in 2008 had crippled his presidential bid, handing a big win to Mike Huckabee after Romney invested much effort in the state. This year, it is set to rocket boost his campaign after he made a much smaller investment in the state and still came out ahead. Romney is the GOP frontrunner, but has been embattled, and distrusted by conservatives. Romney seized the lead in the final weeks after a late collapse by Newt Gingrich, who withered under a blitzkrieg of attacks by Romney, his Super PAC and the Republican establishment. Ron Paul, mustering an unusual coalition of young people, limited government advocates and anti-war activists rose to contention in the final stretch, but ultimately fell short. Rick Santorum, an asterix for much of the campaign, surged to a surprise second place, beating the polls showing him in the mid to high teens the day before the caucuses. However, neither Santorum or Paul have the resources or broad based support for a long campaign, and they needed more than a second and third place respectively to challenge Romney. Newt Gingrich fell to fourth place, but looks to go on the attack against Romney in the coming primaries. Rock Perry, the former frontrunner, was humiliated and looks likely to drop out. Michele Bachmann ended her campaign after a devastating sixth place. Romney was the biggest winner, winning his weakest state and coming out ahead, with no united or plausible opposition he is set to win New Hampshire and the coming states and sweep to the nomination. Romney celebrated his victory, and set his sights on President Obama, saying "I will go to work to get America back to work. I will work to make this country respected again and restore our national security, and I will restore our economy and create jobs again in America."
OBAMA WINS IOWA AS EXPECTED, GRAVEL MAKES A SPLASH-JANUARY 3, 2012

Iowa caucus results-Democratic
President Barack Obama-81.84%
Mike Gravel-17.17%​
President Obama, as expected, won the Iowa caucuses on the Democratic side. Obama faced no competition in that regard, his only challenger was the quixotic campaign of former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel. Obama did not come out unscathed however. Gravel landed attacks on the President from the left, potentially weakening his support from the base in the general and leaving him vulnerable to likely Republican nominee Mitt Romney. Gravel did a better showing than expected, with 17% of the vote in Iowa. He made a late surge in support, and donations to Gravel's campaign have picked up. Obama did not campaign in Iowa, however he did make a victory speech to supporters in the state. The President declared "I am honored that you have chosen me again as your champion. That's what I am and that's what I will be if I win a second term, a champion for hard-working middle-class Americans. We need to unite as a party behind a common vision of progress, so we can lift up the middle class, create jobs, good-paying jobs and protect our future. We are faced with an opposition that has a radical agenda, that would cut out the safety net from under the most vulnerable and tells you 'you're on your own'. That's the kind of thinking and policies that is wrong, it's un-American and it won't be happening under my presidency." Gravel took the stage to cheering supporters shortly afterwards "We have done so great-far better than they expected. We are going to take this movement forward to New Hampshire and to the other 49 states still to come. President Obama told us to 'unite'. What he's really saying is give up. Well, I won't give up! I will continue fighting for true change and true leadership in this country, against the fraud and lies from both sides. Let's go fight for our principles and our values and make our voices heard!"
JOHN MCCAIN ENDORSES ROMNEY-JANUARY 4, 2011
MCCAIN: MAN ON DOG GUY VS DOG ON ROOF GUY? I'M WITH DOG ON ROOF GUY

ROMNEY LEADS GOP FIELD BY 13 POINTS:-JANUARY 5, 2012
ROMNEY 33%, GINGRICH 20%, PAUL 17%, SANTORUM 10%

NEW POLL SHOWS GRAVEL AT 20% IN NEW HAMPSHIRE-JANUARY 5, 2012
OBAMA APPROVAL RATING AT 43%

MIKE GRAVEL CALLS ON OBAMA TO DEBATE HIM, OBAMA REFUSES-JANUARY 6, 2012

ROMNEY WHIPS HUNTSMAN ON SERVING OBAMA AS AMBASSADOR-JANUARY 7, 2012

Romney got the chance in last night's debate to land a zinger against Jon Huntsman. Huntsman, while low in the polls, is gaining in New Hampshire and there have been some fears from the Romney team he could get a strong second. Romney attacked Huntsman on China and serving as Obama's Ambassador to China, saying "I'm sorry, Governor, you were, the last wto years, implementing the policies of this administration in China. The rest of us on this stage were doing our best and stop the policies of this President from being put forward." Huntsman gave a literally incomprehensible reply, muttering in Mandarin in response.
HUNTSMAN FIRES BACK AT ROMNEY-JANUARY 8, 2012
'I WAS SERVING MY COUNTRY, LIKE MY SONS IN THE NAVY' HUNTSMAN SAYS 'I WILL ALWAYS PUT MY COUNTRY FIRST'

GINGRICH ATTACKS ROMNEY RECORD AT BAIN CAPITAL, SAYS HE 'LOOTED' COMPANIES-JANUARY 8, 2012

GRAVEL SAYS OBAMA A 'COWARD' FOR NOT DEBATING HIM-JANUARY 9, 2012

OBAMA MAKES CAMPAIGN STOP IN NEW HAMPSHIRE, URGES VOTERS TO LET HIM COMPLETE AGENDA-JANUARY 9, 2012

ROMNEY GAFFES: I SOMETIMES WONDERED IF I WAS GOING TO GET THE PINK SLIP, I LIKE BEING ABLE TO FIRE PEOPLE-JANUARY 9, 2012

ROMNEY WINS NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY!-JANUARY 10, 2012

New Hampshire primary results-Republican
Mitt Romney-40.58%
Ron Paul-23.00%
Jon Hunstman-16.79%
Newt Gingrich-9.99%
Rick Santorum-7.32%
Rick Perry-1.03%​
Mitt Romney won a landslide victory in the New Hampshire primary. Ron Paul came a far second with 23%, while Jon Huntsman was crushed with less than 17%. Huntsman vowed to fight on, saying "I'd say third place is a ticket to ride-hello, South Carolina!" However it is clear third place is not a ticket to ride. Romney is increasingly locking up the GOP nomination. No candidate who has lost Iowa and New Hampshire has ever won the nomination, except Bill Clinton in 1992. Polls show Romney with formidable leads in the coming contests, with 36 Romney to 14 Gingrich in South Carolina and 49 Romney to 13 Gingrich in Florida. Those numbers may be the high point, but Romney is in a very strong position going forward. He declared "President Obama wants to put free enterprise on trial", and in a swipe at Gingrich, he said "In the last few days, we have seen some desperate Republicans join forces with him. This is such a mistake for our party and for our nation. This country already has a leader who divides us with the bitter politics of envy." Romney's win is a clear contrast from his humiliating 2008 loss in New Hampshire to John McCain(who is now backing him, despite their mutual antipathy). Romney has gone two out of two so far. Now can he go four out of four?
OBAMA WINS NEW HAMPSHIRE, SOME SAY BY LESS THAN EXPECTED-JANUARY 10, 2012

New Hampshire primary results-Democratic
President Barack Obama-70.25%
Mike Gravel-21.05%​
President Obama won the New Hampshire primary. The victory was not unexpected, but still a relief. Obama lost the state in 2008 to Hillary Clinton. This time his only opposition was Mike Gravel, who was a weak candidate. Still, Gravel did better than expected, getting over 20% of the vote. Turnout was low, which both sides say hurt them. Gravel claimed victory, saying "After tonight, Washington will hear our voices once more. They will hear our anger and that we will not be silenced." Obama claimed this was a "landslide victory" and a "great mandate." The President thanked the people of New Hampshire and said in his second term he would build on the progress that had been made in his first term. However, with weak approval ratings, a Republican contest wrapping up quicker than expected, and a more competitive than expected Democratic contest, he may not be given that chance.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 05:23:38 PM »

GINGRICH CALLS ON ROMNEY TO RELEASE TAX RETURNS-JANUARY 13, 2012

Newt Gingrich has called on Republican frontrunner Mitt Romney to release his tax returns, saying he owes it to the American people to show them his finances. Gingrich has been fiercely attacking Romney's business record in recent days, and other Republican candidates have joined in. Romney's record at Bain Capital has come under attack in the past, including in 1994 by Ted Kennedy in the 1994 Massachusetts Senate race, when Kennedy argued his opponent Romney had looted companies and destroyed jobs, Kennedy won by 18 points. Gingrich's only hope of stopping Romney is to render him 'radioactive' and paint him as an elitist out of touch with the American people. Romney has so far refused to release his tax returns.

SOUTH CAROLINA POLL SHOWS ROMNEY WITH BIG LEAD:
ROMNEY 36%, 23% GINGRICH, 14% PAUL, 9% SANTORUM

HUNTSMAN ENDS CAMPAIGN, ENDORSES ROMNEY-JANUARY 16, 2012

GINGRICH, ROMNEY GO AT IT IN PRE-SOUTH CAROLINA PRIMARY DEBATE-JANUARY 16, 2012
 ​
Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich faced off in the primary presidential debate pre-South Carolina primary. Romney faced tough questions on his tax returns. He distanced himself from his previous promise not to release his tax returns. He said "You know, it is a tradition that presidential candidates release their tax returns. It's for a good reason, so the public can have all the information on the candidates. I absolutely will release my tax returns. And I know some people think it's bad that there will be a lot of wealth in those returns, and that I am rich. The fact is though, I'm proud of my business record. I made my money honestly, creating thousands of jobs, and my opponent Speaker Gingrich did not. Newt got his money as an influence peddler, a DC insider and a 'historian' for Freddie Mac. And I am going to take my real world experience and use it to bring change to this country and get our economy back on track." The crowd cheered as Romney turned the tax question into a takedown of Newt. Gingrich fired back "You can't hide Mitt, from your record. And you can try smear me, but your relentlessly negative campaign is wrong for our party and it's wrong for America. Unlike you, I am a conservative." Romney quipped "Then why do you sound like Michael Moore? Your attacks on my record sound like the kind that would come from President Obama, attacking capitalism for redistributionist policies. Newt, it's shameful and it is a lie." Rick Perry, who is still in the race, jumped in to defend Gingrich and attack Romney "Mitt, we need you to release your income tax so the people of this country can see how you made your money. we can't fire our nominee in September, we need to know now." Gingrich then fired back "We were discussing your taxes Mitt. And w do need to know, and I think you need us to not know, because you have been dodging the question." Romney fired back "I am willing to say that I will release my tax returns, and I want to continue this great tradition. I'm not the candidate with skeletons in my closet. I'm not a DC insider and lobbyist, I've been married faithfully to the same wife for over 40 years, I was successful when I was in power and not forced out in disgrace, and I have a clean, scandal-free record. I am proud of my record, and I'm going to use that as a positive against President Obama and his lack of real-world experience," the crowd waited in excitement "and I'm going to beat him!" The crowd erupted in cheers, and Romney was crowned the winner of the debate. He had kept Gingrich down, way down.
ROMNEY SEEKS TO NEUTER ATTACKS, PROMISES TO RELEASE TAX RETURNS 'AS SOON AS POSSIBLE'-JANUARY 18, 2012

RICK PERRY DROPS OUT, ENDORSES GINGRICH-JANUARY 19, 2012

FINAL DEBATE HELD BEFORE PIVOTAL SOUTH CAROLINA PRIMARY-JANUARY 19, 2012

The debate started with a question at Gingrich, about how his second wife Marianne had alleged that in 1999 when Gingrich was having an affair with his current wife Callista that he asked for an 'open marriage'. Gingrich turned the attack on King, saying "The destructive, vicious, negative nature of the news media makes it harder to govern this country, harder to attract decent people to run for public office. And I am appalled you would begin a presidential debate on a topic like that." Romney intervened, saying "I think we shouldn't dismiss this, because it reflects on character." Newt looked angrily at Romney as he continued "The Republican Party is the party of family values and morality, and we should bear that standard. And we need a standard-bearer who bears our standards. Frankly Newt, you cannot do that. If we hope to beat Obama, we need a candidate without baggage, a candidate we can be proud of. And I can be that candidate." Romney faced a question on his taxes, and he replied "As soon as they are completed, I will release my tax returns for this year and probably other years as well." The moderator, John King, continued "In 1967, your father set a groundbreaking standard in American politics. He released his tax return. He released them for not just one year, but for twelve years. And when he did that, he said 'One year could be a fluke, perhaps done for show.' When you release yours, will you follow your father's example?" The question knocked Romney. He got back up and replied "I love and respect my late father. And I agree, he did set a groundbreaking standard, and a good one. And I will be fully transparent with the American people, and release many years of tax returns. I haven't decided yet how many, but I can assure you I will release them, and I will release them soon."
FINAL POLLS SHOW ROMNEY UP IN SOUTH CAROLINA

ROMNEY WINS SOUTH CAROLINA!-JANUARY 21, 2012

South Carolina primary results-Republican
Mitt Romney-39.55%
Newt Gingrich-33.42%
Ron Paul-13.28%
Rick Santorum-11.97%​
Mitt Romney won a resounding victory in the Palmetto State's primary. South Carolina has been a key bellwether in GOP nomination fights, with the eventual winner always winning it. Romney has now pulled off a trifecta of wins in a row and looks set to win a fourth in Florida, where he currently leads in the polls by a margin of 20%. Romney fended off attacks on his business record and taxes, and sought to link Gingrich's attacks on that with President Obama, and has promised to release his tax returns. Gingrich failed to recover from a barrage of attacks he faced, and was hit by a disciplined Romney in the two pre-primary debates. Coming off momentum from Iowa and New Hampshire, Romney won South Carolina too. Now he looks likely to wrap up the nomination in a matter of weeks and begin perhaps the longest general election campaign in history against Obama. Gingrich took his third straight loss badly, slamming Romney in his concession speech for "lies, misinformation and smears", saying he was an 'embarrassment" and that "Ronald Reagan would be spinning in his grave." Romney more effectively claimed the mantle of Reagan, saying "In 1980, Ronald Reagan took on a failed President, whose term saw foreign policy disasters abroad, economic recession and stagnation at home and the decline of our nation. Now in 2012, we face the same challenge. And we must rise to the challenge and win our own mandate and our own revolution, so we can restore the full greatness of this nation!" Romney won across the board with most demographics, and was most dominant among those who thought he was the best candidate to take on Obama.
ROMNEY RELEASES 2009, 2010, 2011 RETURNS
ROMNEY PAID 14% TAX RATE

OBAMA ROMPS HOME IN SOUTH CAROLINA!-JANUARY 31, 2012

South Carolina primary results-Democratic
President Barack Obama-94.22%
Mike Gravel-5.48%​
President Obama won virtually unanimously in South Carolina. Mike Gravel's primary challenge had given him a scare, but Obama, after campaigning in South Carolina and investing in the state, crushed Gravel. Obama is now looking to the general election against Mitt Romney, saying "We must unite to move forward as a party and a nation. Mitt Romney and the Republicans are offering a platform that will take us back, that will take away the progress we have made, take away the chance for those at the bottom to move up and take away the safety net that protects millions of Americans. Well, let me be clear, we will stop them!" That remains to be seen.
MITT ROMNEY WINS FLORIDA!-JANUARY 31, 2012

Florida primary results-Republican
Mitt Romney-51.40%
Newt Gingrich-31.45%
Rick Santorum-8.35%
Ron Paul-7.52%​
Mitt Romney won a 20-point victory in the Florida Republican primary. In a surprise to many, he won a majority of votes in the primary. Romney has now gotten four out of four of the early states, and his closest opponent Newt Gingrich has been crippled, if not destroyed, by attacks from Romney and his allies. The primary campaign has been bitter, but it also looks likely to be short. Romney celebrated his victory, declaring "Primary contests are not easy. As this primary unfolds, our opponents in the other party have been watching, and they like to comfort themselves with the thought a contested campaign will leave us divided and weak. But it does not. It prepares us, and we will win. I am honored and humbled to have won all the primaries that have been held this far. I hope and believe I will be the nominee of our party, and when after Election Day the 45th President. Our party must now unite behind a conservative standard-bearer and a conservative platform, in the knowledge we have the winning ticket for America. Thank you, and let's go win this election!"
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »

RICK SANTORUM ENDS CAMPAIGN, ENDORSES MITT ROMNEY-FEBRUARY 1, 2012

Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum has ended his presidential campaign. Santorum was always a long-shot, but he did better than many observers expected, getting a strong second in Iowa and giving Romney a scare there. However, that is more reflective of the low expectations set for him, as after Iowa Santorum was relegated to third and fourth place. With no resources for a long campaign and polling numbers going south, it was only a matter of time before Santorum ended his campaign. Also, the health of Santorum's special-needs daughter Bella has gone south in recent days. Santorum endorsed Mitt Romney, saying "It is time for our party to unite behind a common cause and our common values. We need to beat Barack Obama. And Mitt Romney is the candidate to do that. Therefore, I endorse Governor Romney, and I hope he wins this hugely consequential election." That is another boost for Mitt Romney going forward.
DONALD TRUMP ENDORSES MITT ROMNEY-FEBRUARY 3, 2012
 ​
Billionaire Donald Trump has endorsed Mitt Romney. Trump has been a leader of the birther movement and a potential presidential candidate, and he is popular with parts of the Republican base. His endorsement has been courted by the Republican field throughout the last year, and now he has awarded it to Romney. Trump described Romney as a "conservative winner", said he "would not allow bad things to happen to our country" and promised not to mount an independent bid in the highly likely event Romney is the Republican nominee. Romney responded by praising Trump for "an extraordinary ability to understand how our economy works and to create jobs" and for being "one of the few who has stood up to say China is cheating" in international trade. He also said, candidly, that "there are some things you can't imagine happening in your life. This is one of them."
ANNIHILATION: ROMNEY WINS BIG IN NEVADA CAUCUS-FEBRUARY 4, 2012

Nevada caucus results-Republican
Mitt Romney-57.02%
Newt Gingrich-22.45%
Ron Paul-20.33%​
RON PAUL WINS IN MINNESOTA BEAUTY CONTEST, ROMNEY WINS MISSOURI, COLORADO-FEBRUARY 7, 2012

Colorado caucus results-Republican
Mitt Romney-49.85%
Newt Gingrich-34.10%
Ron Paul-15.75%
Minnesota caucus results-Republican
Ron Paul-37.15%
Newt Gingrich-35.69%
Mitt Romney-26.85%
Missouri primary results-Republican*
Mitt Romney-55.33%
Ron Paul-36.88%
*Gingrich was not on the ballot in Missouri primary
ROMNEY SAYS HE WAS 'SEVERELY CONSERVATIVE' GOVERNOR AT CPAC-FEBRUARY 11, 2012
'SEVERLY CONSERVATIVE' GAFFE RIDICULED BY ROMNEY OPPONENTS

PAUL FOLLOWS THROUGH WITH SURPRISE WIN IN MAINE CAUCUSES-FEBRUARY 11, 2012

Maine caucus results-Republican
Ron Paul-42.13%
Mitt Romney-42.04%
Newt Gingrich-14.48%​
Ron Paul has gained a surprise burst of momentum in recent days. After Gingrich's collapse, Paul scored a surprise win in the Minnesota caucuses. Now, Paul has followed it up with a win in Maine. Paul is an unlikely candidate, and he remains far behind Romney in national polls, though he has surged to second place in some. A libertarian candidate, he has attracted small government advoactes and also anti-war activists and young people, but turned off much of the Republican electorate with his isolationist positions. Still, Paul has been in luck. With Romney's recent gaffes and Gingrich's fall, he has managed to carve out much of the not-Romney vote for himself. Despite his latest wins, it is doubtful Paul can win the nomination, or even come close. He lacks appeal to most Republicans, Romney is already far ahead with delegates and he lacks the resources to take on Romney. Still, Paul hopes to make a strong showing, and perhaps leave a legacy nonetheless. And it does temporarily halt the 'inevitable Romney' story.
OBAMA COMES OUT IN FAVOR OF GAY MARRIAGE-FEBRUARY 13, 2012
OBAMA, FENDING OFF GRAVEL CHALLENGE, PROMISES TO VETO KEYSTONE PIPELINE-FEBRUARY 15, 2012

President Obama has announced he will veto the controversial Keystone Pipeline. Obama has declared he opposes the pipeline on the grounds that it is harmful to the environment and will exacerbate climate change. Pundits speculate the move has been made to pick up support from the left and fend off the primary challenge from Mike Gravel. Republicans have attacked Obama's decision, arguing that Keystone would create jobs and get America on the path to energy independence. Mitt Romney declared "President Obama's decision on Keystone is misguided and wrong. I promise, if I am elected President, I will let the construction of the Keystone Pipeline go ahead. That is because Keystone means jobs, Keystone means energy independence, and Keystone means lower gas prices. Our economy and our middle-class families are being pummeled. And it is shameful that even now, our President is doing nothing to help them. Well, that is going to change." Obama's position goes against a majority of the public, a poll by Gallup shows 59% of adults in favor to 27% opposed, though among Democrats it is 42% supporting to 40% opposed.
ROMNEY COMES OUT UNSCATHED IN FINAL PRIMARY DEBATE-FEBRUARY 22, 2012
 ​
The twentieth and final debate of the 2012 Republican primaries was held in Phoenix, Arizona. Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich attacked Romney. Gingrich again let his hatred of Romney show as he lambasted the frontrunner as "the most dishonest candidate in history." When asked to respond, Romney turned to Newt and, reprising Ronald Reagan, said "There you go again, Newt." The crowd hooted and hollered in delight. Ron Paul declared that Romney is a "fake", Romney fired back "I am not a fake, I am a conservative candidate and I will be a conservative President when I defeat Barack Obama." Paul fired back "We can't defeat Barack Obama if we nominate a big-government, pro-Obamacare, Massachusetts liberal." Romney replied "It's good that none of us on this stage are that strawman Ron." The debate seems unlikely to hurt Romney's chances, and so that's a win for Romney, who is leading big.
ROMNEY WINS ARIZONA AND MICHIGAN!-FEBRUARY 28, 2012

Arizona primary results-Republican
Mitt Romney-57.87%
Newt Gingrich-25.02%
Ron Paul-15.61%
Michigan primary results-Republican
Mitt Romney-55.57%
Ron Paul-23.93%
Newt Gingrich-17.53%​
Mitt Romney fended off the last opposition to his nomination with landslides in Arizona and Michigan. Romney is now about to face President Obama in the general election. The RCP polling average currently has Obama at 46.0% and Romney at 45.9% support, a virtual tie. Romney declared "Our economy is stagnant and we face a bleak future as a nation. We need a leader who can get this country back on track. It is clear Barack Obama is not that leader. He has failed America." Romney now looks unstoppable and President Obama certainly thinks so. He declared "I am looking forward to taking on Mitt Romney. We have two very different visions for our country, Mitt has a very conservative agenda and I have a progressive agenda. I think there's a clear contrast."
ROMNEY CONDEMNS RUSH LIMBAUGH-MARCH 2, 2012

Mitt Romney has condemned talk radio host Rush Limbaugh over his comments in the Sandra Fluke controversy. Limbaugh made a series of inflammatory comments about Sandra Fluke, a student who testified in front of Congress on contraceptives, including calling her a "slut". Romney said that Limbaugh's comments "were inflammatory, and they were wrong. This kind of language is not acceptable and should not be allowed in our political discourse. I urge Rush Limbaugh to sincerely apologize for his deplorable comments." Romney added that he supported the Blunt amendment. This is a major break with the right wing of the GOP and has been compared to Bill Clinton's 'Sister Souljah moment' in 1992.
ROMNEY WINS SUPER TUESDAY!-MARCH 6, 2012
 ​
Mitt Romney won a big victory on Super Tuesday. He got 8 of the 10 states on offer, while Paul won North Dakota and Gingrich won Georgia. Romney also got a big majority of delegates over Paul and Gingrich. He declared himself the presumptive Republican nominee, saying "We have our differences. But we must all unite behind a common goal and common purpose; to make Barack Obama a one-term President!" The crowd cheered. “Our campaign is on the move. And real change is finally on the way. Times may be tough, but our citizens still believe in the promise of America.” There is increasing speculation Gingrich and Paul will end their campaigns. Romney said "We will not hide from our principles. We will fight for our conservative platform in the face of Barack Obama's failure, and we will win.
NEWT GINGRICH SUSPENDS CAMPAIGN, ROMNEY LEADS NATIONAL POLLS BY 30 POINTS-MARCH 8, 2012

RNC CHAIRMAN REINCE PRIEBUS DECLARES MITT ROMNEY IS PRESUMPTIVE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE-MARCH 8, 2012

[/center]
Israel
Rookie
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »

So, now it's time for the Conventions
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 03:25:31 PM »

So, now it's time for the Conventions

That's not til August, first the general election campaign, which TTL will be perhaps the longest in history, from March(and perhaps earlier as Romney was already inevitable and Romney-Obama had begun targeting each other) to November 6.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies