No Apology: A History of the Romney Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:20:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  No Apology: A History of the Romney Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: No Apology: A History of the Romney Administration  (Read 31546 times)
The Congressman
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »

Yay!
Anything new regarding the downballot races? Any changes from OTL?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2017, 10:13:49 PM »

Yay!
Anything new regarding the downballot races? Any changes from OTL?

Nohung on down ballot yet.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 08:27:29 PM »

This TL is not dead-an update will come in the near future!
Oppo

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2017, 06:35:38 AM »

This TL is not dead-an update will come in the near future!
Eagerly awaiting, I have caught up with the story, it looks promising.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »

When will the next update come?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2017, 04:55:47 AM »

OBAMA RECEIVES BOUNCE IN POLLS FROM DNC
RCP AVERAGE: OBAMA 47.4%,ROMNEY 46.9%-SEPTEMBER 11, 2012

4 AMERICANS KILLED IN ATTACK ON BENGHAZI EMBASSY, EMBASSY IN CAIRO ATTACKED BY PROTESTERS-SEPTEMBER 11, 2012

On September 11, the US embassy in Cairo, Egypt, was attacked by fundamentalist protesters, with protesters breaching the walls and burning the American flag. The protest was believed to have been provoked by an anti-Islam video made in the US. The embassy in Cairo released a statement saying it"condemned the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims-as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions." Soon afterwards, Islamist militants in Benghazi, Libya, stormed the US diplomatic mission there and 4 Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens, died in the attack. The Romney campaign released a statement declaring "I'm outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libyaa and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi. It's disgraceful that the Obama administration, which has consistently proved to be soft on terrorism, made their first response not to condemn the attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks." More is expected to develop on this story.
OBAMA, ROMNEY TRADE WAR OF WORDS AFTER BENGHAZI ATTACK-SEPTEMBER 12, 2012

The Benghazi attack has quickly become a political issue in the bitter 2012 US election campaign. The Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt expressed outrage at the Romney campaign's response to the attacks, saying "We are shocked that, at a time when the United States of America is confronting the tragic death of one of our diplomatic officers in Libya, Governor Romney would choose to launch a political attack." Romney at a press conference used the stage to attack the administration on national security "We mourn the deaths of our diplomatic personnel in Libya, but we must also ensure this never happens again. The Obama administration has proven to be soft on terrorism, and weak on defense." Romney declared "This is an administration that kowtows to our enemies and apologizes to those who seek to inflict harm upon us. As President, I will not go on an apology tour, I will not apologize to terrorists, I will hunt them down and beat them." President Obama said minutes later in the Rose Garden "No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today, we mourn four Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake; justice will be done."
AL-QAEDA CELEBRATES BENGHAZI ATTACKS, VOWS TO 'BRING JIHAD TO AMERICA'-SEPTEMBER 13, 2012

NEW POLL SHOWS 52% DISAPPROVE OF OBAMA FOREIGN POLICY, 43% APPROVE-SEPTEMBER 14, 2012
SENATOR MCCAIN: BENGHAZI ATTACK SHOWS OBAMA ADMINISTRATION UNPATRIOTIC
ROMNEY SAYS OBAMA IS 'APOLOGY' PRESIDENT, OBAMA ATTACKS ROMNEY AS 'POINT-SCORING'

ROMNEY GAINS POLL LEAD OVER OBAMA
RCP AVERAGE: ROMNEY-47.6%, OBAMA-46.5%

ROMNEY FUNDRAISER TAPE LEAKED-SEPTEMBER 17, 2012

A tape was leaked of Republican nominee Mitt Romney at a private fundraiser. In the tape, Romney made several controversial comments, or gaffes, such as praising Chinese sweatshops(in comparison to other jobs in the area), casting doubt on the Israeli-Palestinian peace process and claiming that if Iran was not stopped it could threaten America with a dirty bomb. Romney said that the Palestinians are "committed to the destruction and elimination of Israel", a comment that was rebuked by the Palestinians. On Iran, he said "If I were Iran, if I were Iran—a crazed fanatic, I'd say let's get a little fissile material to Hezbollah, have them carry it to Chicago or some other place, and then if anything goes wrong, or America starts acting up, we'll just say, "Guess what? Unless you stand down, why, we're going to let off a dirty bomb." I mean this is where we have—where America could be held up and blackmailed by Iran, by the mullahs, by crazy people. So we really don't have any option but to keep Iran from having a nuclear weapon." On China, Romney commented that he considered buying a factory there and dismissed the bad conditions in sweatshops there. President Obama said Romney's comments were "uninformed" and "dumb."
PRESIDENT OBAMA APPROVAL RATING AT 45%, 48% DISAPPROVE-SEPTEMBER 24, 2012

ROMNEY, OBAMA NECK IN NECK BEFORE FIRST DEBATE-SEPTEMBER 30, 2012
RCP AVERAGE: OBAMA 46.6%, ROMNEY 46.6%

OBAMA SEEKS TO LOWER EXPECTATIONS FOR DENVER DEBATE' ROMNEY IS A GOOD DEBATER, I'M JUST OK'-SEPTEMBER 30, 2012

CHRIS CHRISTIE 'ABOLSUTELY CONFIDENT' IT WILL BE A 'WIPEOUT' IN DENVER DEBATE-OCTOBER 1, 2012

Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 07:35:43 AM »

Yay its back!
The Congressman
Rookie
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2017, 10:34:07 AM »

Very nice. Interesting change of the Mother Jones tape. Don't think that many would be as angry with attacks on the Palestinians than with the 47% comment
Israel
Rookie
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »

Can't wait for the debate!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2017, 05:59:59 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2017, 06:37:56 PM »

That's a tiny convention bump for Obama. Ouch.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2017, 06:51:06 PM »

That's a tiny convention bump for Obama. Ouch.

Obama surged from 4 points behind after the RNC to a 1-point lead.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2017, 02:12:39 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2017, 01:12:13 AM by Pericles »

ROMNEY WINS FIRST DEBATE-OCTOBER 3, 2012

Republican nominee Mitt Romney won a resounding victory in the first debate pf the 2012 general election, according to all mainstream polls and pundits, and crushed President Obama. The debate started with President Obama wishing First Lady Michelle Obama a happy wedding anniversary, saying "I just want to to wish, sweetie, you happy anniversary and let you know that next year we will not be celebrating it in front of forty million people." Romney replied, to laughs from the audience "Congratulations, Mr President, I'm sure this was the most romantic place you could imagine-here with me." Romney came off as clear, crisp and confident, and was effective in his critiques of the President. Romney ran to the center, saying that "regulation is essential", that the Dodd-Frank Act was "the biggest kiss to New York banks I've ever seen" and asserted his tax plan was not a $5 trillion tax cut for the wealthy as Obama had claimed, saying "Look, I've got five boys. I'm used to people saying something that's not always true but just keep repeating it in the hopes I'll believe it. But that's just not the case." President Obama's performance was criticized as unengaged and passive, and looked down at his notes while Romney was speaking. Both on left and right, the debate was seen as a victory for Mitt Romney. With the race before the debate neck in neck, this debate could have handed the presidency to Mitt Romney.
JOE BIDEN AND PAUL RYAN FACE OFF IN VICE-PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE-OCTOBER 11, 2012

In the normal course of events, vice-presidential debates, much like vice-presidents themselves, don't particularly matter. And this may well prove to be the case with Thursday night's confrontation in Kentucky. But if it is, it won't be for lack of trying on the part of Joe Biden, whose high-energy performance – part angry bar-room debater, part condescending elder uncle, part comic mime artist – frequently seemed to leave Paul Ryan overwhelmed. Vice-President Biden accused Ryan of peddling "a bunch of malarkey" and routinely laughed, sned, cackled and threw his hands skyward on stage. Ryan put in a measured performance, but his performance was overshadowed by that of Biden. Republicans accused Biden of being 'rude' to Ryan, while Democrats fired back that Biden was just being Biden and that he won the debate.
ROMNEY WINS SECOND DEBATE, OBAMA BOMBS-OCTOBER 16, 2012

The second debate saw another victory by Mitt Romney over President Obama. Obama's performance in the second debate was similarly panned to his first debate performance. Governor Romney criticized President Obama's economic record saying "President Obama has failed this country. After 4 years, unemployment is still at 8%, and millions are worse off. There is no hope and change in that." Romney attacked Obama on Benghazi and said that Obama was 'soft on terrorism' but the President's response, saying that the 2011 Abbotabad raid's failure was an "intelligence failure" was perceived as a weak response. Obama came off as nasty in one part of the debate when he growled at Romney "Don't interrupt me" and his response to a question that "That's just not true" was seen as insulting. After a poor first debate, President Obama needed a rebound. That's not something he got in Hofstra.
ROMNEY, OBAMA CLASH ON FOREIGN POLICY IN THIRD DEBATE-OCTOBER 22, 2012

The final presidential debate of the 2012 election was focused on foreign policy. Foreign policy has been a secondary issue to most voters and one President Obama was considered to be stronger on than the economy. The debate started with moderator Bob Schieffer asking Governor Romney about Libya, to which Romney said "I think that this administration failed to protect our personnel on the ground on Libya. The foreign policy of this administration has been, frankly, amateurish and they have failed to protect American lives or stop those who threaten them." President Obama fired back "Governor Romney, that's just untrue. I am offended that you would seek to use the deaths of our diplomatic staff in Libya to score political points. You can distort my record and cast judgment as a candidate, but I have the responsibility of being commander in chief and actually making the tough decisions." In his response, Romney said that Obama was "skirting the issues", had "failed in his responsibility" and that his foreign policy proved that "President Obama has bad judgement in the life or death decisions of President and he does not deserve a second term." Obama later attacked Romney on his foreign trip, saying "I restored our national reputation after the disaster of the last Republican administration. And Governor Romney is already undoing my good work. His reckless, idiotic statements have alienated our allies, damaged our national reputation and shown a profound lack of understanding of the diplomatic challenges we face." Obama also claimed that "if Mitt Romney were President, we would still be at war in Iraq and we could be in another war with Iran. Governor Romney's foreign policy is a repeat of the guns-blazing, irresponsible, disastrous foreign policy of the Bush administration." Romney replied that President Obama has "run an unrelentingly negative campaign, distorting the truth" and that he "cannot defend his own failed record so he insists on continuing to attack George W Bush. In case you didn't notice, I'm not George W Bush. And so I'd urge the President to stop using Bush as a shield for his own record, which he clearly cannot defend." Obama replied that his record was "superb" and that it was Romney who "distorts the truth" and "tries to hide the fact he is, on the substance, a repeat of the disastrous Bush administration. Governor Romney clearly does not know that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." On military spending, the President delivered a zinger "You mentioned the Navy, for example, and that we have fewer ships than we did in 1916. Well, Governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets, because the nature of our military has changed. we have these things called aircraft carriers, where planes land on them.  We have these ships that go underwater, nuclear submarines. And so the question is not a game of Battleship, where we're counting ships; it's what are our capabilities." The debate was a tense, closely-fought contest. President Obama gave a stronger performance than in the previous two debates, but he did not get a clear-cut win. The question is, with Governor Romney the frontrunner stretching his lead to nearly 5 points, is whether President Obama's performance was enough.
HURRICANE SANDY HITS NORTH-EAST COAST-OCTOBER 29, 2012
HURRICANE SANDY RESPONSE: NJ GOP GOVERNOR CHRISTIE PRAISES OBAMA LEADERSHIP-NOVEMBER 3, 2012

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, a rising star in the Republican Party, and President Obama have become unlikely allies in the wake of the Hurricane Sandy disaster and response. Christie went out of the way to praise Obama, calling him "outstanding", "wonderful", "tremendous" and "deserving of great credit." The New Jersey Governor and Romney supporter said that he "cannot thank the President enough for his personal concern and compassion." At the same time, Christie rejected helping Romney in the wake of the Sandy disaster, when asked on Fox and Friends if Romney could tour New Jersey with Christie, he said "I have no idea, nor am I the least bit concerned or interested. If you think right now I give a damn about presidential politics, you have no idea." Polls have shown President Obama narrowing Romney's lead in the wake of the Sandy response, which has been judged by many to show the President's leadership credentials. A new ABC News/WaPo poll showed Romney at 49% and President Obama at 47%.
BATTLE FOR THE SENATE NECK IN NECK, GOP HOPES TO UNSEAT RED-STATE DEMOCRATS

ROMNEY NARROWLY AHEAD IN PRESIDENTIAL RACE-NOVEMBER 5, 2012
ROMNEY 49.4%, OBAMA 46.5%

The 2012 presidential election is almost at an end. It was a rough and negative contest, a stark contrast to the 'hope and change' campaign of 2008. Now, it ends with Republican nominee Mitt Romney narrowly ahead. However, the race looks to be close, and President Obama's late momentum has revived memories of the 2000 election. President Obama has been gaining momentum following Hurricane Sandy, and the President and the Democrats are on the attack, warning that a President Romney would be "Bush redux" and in a populist tone "servant of the top 1%, not ordinary Americans." The electoral map is close, with a narrow edge for Romney. Florida and North Carolina have Romney leads in the mid to high single digits, and have shifted into the Romney column. Romney is also ahead in Virginia, with the RCP polling average putting him up by 3.5% there. Romney is up by 1% in Ohio, 48.8% to 47.8%. Romney is also leading in Colorado and in the margin of error in Nevada, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Most forecasters, including Nate Silver(who gives Governor Romney a 55% chance of victory) have Romney favored. However his lead is narrow and possible outcomes range from a narrow Obama win to a Romney landslide. All will be revealed by the voters on November 6.

The Congressman
Rookie
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2017, 02:27:33 AM »

Yep, only natural that the lack of the Bin Laden killing would leave Obama vulnerable on foreign policy. But Bush and the Auto Bailout will hurt Romney as well. he'll probably do much better in Florida, Virginia, and Colorado than Ohio or Michigan (I think Romney's margin in PA will be better than in OH, but that's just me)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2017, 03:32:59 AM »

Yep, only natural that the lack of the Bin Laden killing would leave Obama vulnerable on foreign policy. But Bush and the Auto Bailout will hurt Romney as well. he'll probably do much better in Florida, Virginia, and Colorado than Ohio or Michigan (I think Romney's margin in PA will be better than in OH, but that's just me)

Yes Obama is vulnerable  on foreign policy or  at least there can be  a debate on it. The  economy though will decide the election. Your state predictions are interesting but I can't aye if they are correct. Stay tuned for the next update.
Israel
Rookie
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2017, 06:00:58 AM »

Good update on the debate!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2017, 06:35:43 AM »

Excellent update!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »

Thanks! Up next, Election night!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2017, 06:02:28 PM »

I'll do election night tonight. Last chance for predictions-what will be the electoral map? Who will win the Senate? What will be the House results?
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2017, 06:04:25 PM »

Romney will win after  numerous recounts in Ohio
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »

A narrow Romney win.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »

This is what I believe the map will be

Romney/Ryan 291
Obama/Biden 247
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »

Election Night
November 6, 2012

7:00 pm

The states of Indiana, Kentucky, Georgia and South Carolina have been called for Republican nominee Mitt Romney. Democratic Party nominee President Obama has won Vermont. New Hampshire and Virginia are too close to call. Governor Romney has won Kentucky with 62% of the vote, a strong showing and an improvement on John McCain's 2008 landslide in the state. The Indiana results are a dramatic reversal of the 2008 election, in which Obama narrowly won Indiana. Indiana has returned to its solid GOP norm, with Governor Romney's margin of victory in the state over 15%. This result suggests President Obama is weak with white voters without a college degree who make up a large part of the electorate in many swing states. This could be a bad sign for the President going into the night.
7:30 pm

One more state has been called. In no surprise, the state of West Virginia went to Governor Romney. President Obama did extraordinarily badly in the Mountain State, getting just 32% of the vote. The early results do not look good for the President. The states of Ohio and North Carolina are at this point too close to call. In Virginia, Romney has surged to a large lead in the early results over President Obama, though Democratic counties such as Fairfax County have not finished counting yet.
8:00 pm

The states of Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Tennessee have been called for Mitt Romney. Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Maryland, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island have been called for President Barack Obama. The trend so far into the night has clearly been that Obama has underperformed, sometimes significantly, his showing in the 2008 election. An example of this is Missouri, which Obama came within 0.2% of winning in 2008. Now, the results show that Romney has beaten the President by around 15% in Missouri, with Obama just over 40% of the vote. While Missouri is no longer the bellwether it once was, it could still signal weakness for the President in other parts of the Midwest, which could doom him in the swing states of Ohio, Iowa, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Another noticeable feature of the results is a strong third-party showing, with Libertarian Gary Johnson getting 2% in Massachusetts and in Rhode Island Green Party candidate Jill Stein got 1% while Johnson got just under 2%. This signals a potential lack of enthusiasm among Obama's liberal base that could prove fatal for his chances tonight. Florida, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maine are too close to call, Obama is currently leading in Pennsylvania, but narrowly, while underperforming in Florida. Down-ballot, Republicans look on track to win a second term in control of the House of Representatives, while the Senate remains close.
8:10 pm

The state of Arkansas has been called for Mitt Romney. Romney has gotten just under 63% of the vote in Arkansas, while the President received just over 33% according to our latest counts. Romney's 63% is an increase of 4% from 2008 Republican nominee John McCain's 59%, while Obama went from 39% to 33%.
9:00 pm

A wave of new calls has come in. Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska(4/4), North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming have been called for Mitt Romney. President Obama has won Illinois, New York and Maine's 2 statewide electoral votes and the 1st congressional district while Maine's 2nd congressional district is too close to call. The states of Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico and Wisconsin are too close to call. President Obama is currently falling behind in Florida and North Carolina, while hanging onto a lead in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. The candidates are swapping early leads in Colorado, while the President is leading in New Mexico though is likely to only win in the single digits compared to his 15-point win there in 2008. The results so far indicate that Governor Romney is strongly ahead of John McCain's 2008 showing and is getting big wins in Republican states, while Obama's wins in solidly Democratic states are weaker. In New York Obama is just short of 60% of the vote, while in Illinois he is only at 55% of the vote. However, given the size of the President's 2008 win and his Electoral College advantage, he may still be able to pull off a win.
9:40 pm

The state of New Jersey has been called for President Obama. President Obama now has 107 electoral votes to 175 for Mitt Romney.
9:50 pm

The state of Montana has been called for Republican nominee Mitt Romney. The result was expected, but contrasts with the 2008 election. In 2008, Barack Obama lost Montana by just over 2%. This year, Romney has won the state in a landslide with a nearly 20% margin of victory. This is similar to George W Bush's 2004 win in Montana, though slightly weaker.
10:00 pm

The state of Utah has been called for Mitt Romney. Romney was boosted in this traditionally Republican state by being a Mormon(if he wins, Romney would be the first Mormon President of the United States) with Utah having a majority Mormon population. Governor Romney received 75% of the vote in Utah, 13% better than John McCain in 2008. New Mexico has been called for President Obama.  However, Obama did significantly worse than in 2008, winning New Mexico by just under 5% according to our latest counts. Democrats have pointed out that Obama's 2008 showing was an anomaly and that New Mexico was previously a swing state, and have pointed to the President's strong Hispanic support. The question is; will it be enough? The states of Iowa and Nevada are too close to call. Governor Romney currently has a narrow lead in Iowa while President Obama is narrowly leading in Nevada.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2017, 01:24:13 AM by Pericles »

11:00 pm

The state of California has been called for President Obama, a big haul of 55 electoral votes. However, President Obama is only at 57% of the vote in this solidly Democratic state. The call of California has been overshadowed by two key wins by Governor Romney. Romney has won North Carolina, a swing state and state won by President Obama in 2008. Romney's North Carolina win is by a margin of 8%, and this signals depressed African-American enthusiasm and a surge of Republican white voters to the polls. Florida has also gone to Romney by around 5%, despite President Obama's Hispanic support. Democrats point out both states were expected to go to Governor Romney. Romney's strong wins however are a bad sign for the President. The state of Idaho has gone to Romney who has won over 65% there. The state of Hawaii has also been called for President Obama. In another major call, Republicans have won over 218 seats in the House of Representatives, assuring Republican control of the House. Oregon and Washington are currently too close to call. Republicans look likely to gain seats from their 2010 showing, though Democrats allege that they have been disadvantaged by the post-2010 redistricting.
12:00 am

A major call has been made-Republican nominee Mitt Romney has won the state of Ohio. The Buckeye State was hotly contested throughout the election, but it appears to have gone to Romney by a margin of around 3%. It is unclear whether Romney has won just over or just under 50% of the vote in Ohio, though the former looks more likely. In the Ohio senate race, the count is still too close to call, though Democratic incumbent Sherrod Brown has a narrow lead. The battle for the Senate is neck in neck, with the Republicans currently at 47 Senate seats(gaining Missouri and North Dakota from the Democrats) while the Democrats are at 47(having gained Massachusetts from the GOP) Oregon and Washington have been called for President Obama, though by only single digit margins. Currently Obama leads Romney by around 5.7% in Oregon and by 8.4% in Washington state. Those margins could well change. The current electoral vote count is 250 electoral votes for Governor Romney, 190 for President Obama and  95 too close to call.
1:00 am

Two major calls have been made. President Obama has won Michigan and the 2nd congressional district of Maine. These are two victories the President needed, boosting the morale of Obama supporters. The President is also leading in similar Upper-Midwest states of Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Currently Obama now has 207 electoral votes to 250 for Governor Romney. The Montana Senate race has also been called for the Republicans. The current count is 47 Democrats, 48 Republicans and 1 Independent who is unaffiliated with either party(the other Independent, Bernie Sanders of Vermont, caucuses with the Democrats)
1:30 am

A major call has been made-the state of Virginia and its 13 electoral votes will go to Mitt Romney. That puts Romney at 263 electoral votes, needing just 7 more to win a majority and 6 to be elected by the House. Governor Romney also has a strong lead in the national popular vote, currently just under 4%. The Wisconsin Senate race has also been called for Republican Tommy Thompson, who defeated Democrat Tammy Baldwin. The Republicans have 49 Senate seats now and need just two more of the 4 uncalled races to win an outright majority in the Senate.
2:30 am

The state of Minnesota has been called for President Obama. It is a much-needed win for the President who now has 217 electoral votes. Minnesota went to Obama by a margin of just under 2%, an underwhelming performance in a traditionally Democratic state. The President leads in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Nevada, while Colorado, New Hampshire and Iowa are see-sawing between Romney and Obama leads. The close Indiana Senate race has also been called for Democrat Joe Donnelly, who gained the seat for the Democrats primarily due to Republican candidate Richard Mourdock's controversial comments about pregnancy from rape. The New Mexico Senate race has just been called, with Republican candidate Representative Heather Wilson defeating Democrat Martin Heinrich to win the open seat. Republicans now have 50 Senate seats to 47 Democrat seats, and need 1 more seat to win an outright majority, and otherwise the Vice-President would be the tie-breaking vote(if Independent Angus King caucuses with the Democrats).
3:00 am

The state of New Hampshire has been called for Mitt Romney, giving the Republican nominee 4 more electoral votes. New Hampshire went to Romney by a margin of just 0.2% according to the latest results. Governor Romney is now just 3 electoral votes short of a majority, and would win the presidency if he won any of the 5 too close to call states.
3:15 am

The state of Wisconsin has been called for President Barack Obama. Obama won Wisconsin with just over 49% of the vote and a margin of 1%. Obama now has 227 electoral votes to 267 for Romney. The Virginia Senate race has been called for Republican George Allen, who defeated Democrat Tim Kaine. The Republicans now have 51 Senate seats and an outright majority, no matter who the next President is.
4:00 am

The state of Colorado and its 9 electoral votes have been called for Republican nominee Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney has won over 270 electoral votes(276) and will be the 45th President of the United States. This makes Barack Obama the first one-term President of the United States since George HW Bush in 1992. It also means that Republicans will control the Senate, the House and the presidency.

MITT ROMNEY ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE USA!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2017, 11:23:29 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2017, 09:25:18 PM by Pericles »

2012 United States presidential election

Mitt Romney/Paul Ryan-Republican: 299 EV 49.57%
President Barack Obama/Joe Biden-Democratic: 239 EV 47.61%
2012 House elections
John Boehner-Republican: 254+12 50.6%
Nancy Pelosi-Democratic: 181-12 45.8%
435 seats