Why do people take the Political Compass seriously?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:29:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why do people take the Political Compass seriously?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why do people take the Political Compass seriously?  (Read 1682 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »

The abstract art is also misleading, because a lot of people tend to associate the phrase "abstract art" with postmodern art which has critics from across the spectrum.
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2017, 12:00:28 PM by angus »

Also, if you don't believe Astrology is accurate, your authoritarian score goes up.

That's a little surprising, and opposite my guess, so I looked into it.  I've uncovered some statistics and find that there apparently is little consistent correlation between belief in the ability of the stars to guide our fates and political ideology.  So it is probably based on a faulty assumption.  On the other hand, at least in the anglophone world, there is a correlation between gender and such beliefs.  This is from a 2005 Harris poll conducted in the US, the UK, and Canada.  The percentages are of those who responded positively to the question, "Can the position of the stars or planets affects people's lives?"

USA  Male  23
USA Female  28
Canada Male  17
Canada Female  33
UK Male  15
UK Female  30

And if you don't like abstract art, then it goes up too.

This may not be based on a faulty assumption, according to a large body of research.  A number of psychology papers concluded that the processing of abstract art correlates to an increase in alpha waves (8 - 12 Hz in frequency) of the brain.  These are associated with wakeful periods during sleep, and with Zen-trained meditation masters.  Totalitarian-minded leaders, both on the Left and on the Right, have generally required the afectation of charisma--Think of Hitler, Mussolini, and Pol Pot--which generally happens at the alpha-theta border (~7.5 Hz), thus requiring lower alpha and higher theta wave activity in the occipital lobe and hippocampus than would generally be associated with the analysis of abstract art.

All the questions are phrased so poorly, that it makes me want to slam my head into a wall.

On-line quiz questions are generally worded poorly.  They are not run through the usual editing process that print materials for scholarly purposes are.  But that's not really the point, is it?  If you're slamming your head into a wall, then you too are taking this quiz too seriously.

Like all quizzes, this one has its faults, but it is no more or less consistent than the rest.  It puts Reagan to the right of Marx, and above Gandhi.  It puts the SNP to the left of the Conservative Party and above the Green Party.  It puts me generally somewhere in between Jimmy Carter and Margaret Thatcher.  I'd say that results are fairly self-consistent.  

Try this one out for size:

Nothing very serious about this result--Do we really know how Trump, Clinton, Stein, or Johnson would answer all these questions?  Probably not--but I'd say that relatively speaking the result is spot on.  i.e., I have no trouble believing that Donald Trump is more authoritarian than Hillary Clinton, and that Hillary Clinton is more authoritarian that Gary Johnson, and that Jill Stein is about the same as Gary Johnson by that measure.  Moreover, I have no trouble believing that Jill stein is far, far to the left of the other three, Johnson is the rightmost economically, and that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are fairly similar on the left/right scale, with different priorities, however.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies