If you were to run for President...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:47:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If you were to run for President...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you were to run for President...  (Read 455 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2017, 02:02:05 AM »

...what would be your campaign strategy?

I'll tell you all mine later.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:34:58 AM »

The only way I'd find myself running for President is if literally nobody else wanted to run for the party I supported - which would entail that it's a party that has no chance to win. In that case I'd just spend the campaign stating my political beliefs and principles and tell people they can vote for me if they agree.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:52:55 AM »

I'm not ever gonna run for office, but hypothetically?

I'd try to win rust belt voters with my populist message. My slogan would be "Making Washington Work For You". I'd try to get super-turnout among Florida Jews, and go for this map in general:

Thereby needing one of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and VA+NH or VA+NE2 or VA+NV to win.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »

Here's my strategy:

Primaries:
During the Dem primaries, target and campaign in states with large urban areas and run what I like to call a theme region tour (for example, one week, focus on the south, then concentrate on the north, etc.). Have press conferences, interviews, and other things to shut the media up on conspiracy theories. By Super Tuesday or little bit after, build up an insermountable delegate lead so that other candidates will suspend their campaigns so that I can focus on the general election.

General Election:
Because of my race, concentrate on turning out the Black electorate throughout the South (Muh Identity Politics or M.I.H.). GA, FL, and NC are top tier, but I'll keep MS and SC in mind. In fact, a 50 state strategy will be what I'll run on. Suburbs will likely play a big role.

Throughout the Midwest, execute populism in a mixture of urban and rural areas. Run on the "I won't forget you" message and contrast myself to the corrupt politicians. MI, WI, and MN need focus. IN and MO and OH aren't left out. Also, make sure that I capture Omaha (NE-02).

Now the Northeast is not in need of much oversight, but spending time in NH, PA, and ME won't hurt.
Cities like Philly, Newark, Baltimore, Boston, NYC, and DC could be visited.

The West brings in new potential in Arizona. I will campaign mostly in Maricopa County, the largest county which is urban and not won by a Democrat in some time. If I wanna become even more selfish, stealing Montana sounds good especially if my populist style seems anti-establishment to them.

For now, that's it.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »

Ok,

I would have affairs with 3 beautiful women, so the electorate could later discover my fondness for sexual promiscuity.

There is something quite forgiving about the USA when it comes to philandering politicians.

Then i would work on

(1) Meaningful tax reform

10-15% Purchasing tax on everything. Federal tax.
Exports are free of this tax.
Imports from foreign companies face a 20% tariff.
Imports from US companies manufacturing overseas incur an additional 40% tariff.
Simpler taxes for workers, business and investors.
Apple and Google etc pay all of their taxes in the USA.

(2) Immigration reform - Leave the wall. Just no path for illegal  immigrants to citizenship. Need more paying immigrants who enter the country to run a business and employ people. All illegal immigrants guilty of a felony deported.

(3) Healthcare reform - Limit the cost of medicine and treatment facilities to better serve the actual population effectively.

(4) Pay down the national debt. Need some level of fiscal responsibility.

(5) Ban semi-automatic rifles from being purchased by people not suitable.

(6) Education reform.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »

There is something quite forgiving about the USA when it comes to philandering politicians.

Have you ever heard of France or Italy?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 01:52:16 PM »

I briefly ran to be David French's running mate, remember people?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 02:03:59 PM »

Have you ever heard of France or Italy?
Isn't an affair required there?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »

Well, I doubt I'd have much of a chance of winning. So I think something of the Paul/Sanders strategy of just trying to "get the message out" would be most appropriate. I think I'd feel much more at home on the Sunday talk shows than, as a great Democratic strategist once put it "standing outside Fenway Park in the cold?! Shaking hands?!"

That being said, here are a couple of specific strategies I would take:
- Pick a charismatic running mate, probably a woman and/or a minority.
- Do a Romney/Obama-style tour of Europe and probably some other places to show off muh international relations skillz.
- Do a tour of the Republican inter-mountain west. I think I'm a pretty good fit for this area, and even if I lose, I think I could make a good case for the Democrats in places like Montana, Utah, and even Idaho and Wyoming.
- I'd definitely try to make it up to Alaska, presumably much to the annoyance of my entire campaign staff wanting me to live in Florida and not waste resources.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 07:00:39 PM »

After reading through like half of Crumpy's post, I've settled on a strategy!

1. Utilize campaign money and "campaign stops" as an excuse to engage in a cross-country site seeing and food eating tour. "Turn Washington blue? I'll have to check out Mt. Rainier National Park to make sure!"
2. "Retail politics" would consist of going to food and culture festivals across the country (see point 1), as well as restaurants in major cities.
3. Might as well do a few "campaign stops" in places abroad that I've been meaning to go to; Eastern Europe, the Nordic Peninsula, etc. "International relations" and "watchmen on the walls of freedom", etc.
4. Try to raise my profile as a "candidate" enough to increase my post-campaign job chances.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies