Here we go again. If Trump has to replace Pence as VP, who does he pick?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:16:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Here we go again. If Trump has to replace Pence as VP, who does he pick?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Here we go again. If Trump has to replace Pence as VP, who does he pick?  (Read 3583 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 04:01:39 PM »

Given that Kushner will likely be one of the last, and thus most influential, opinions Trump would hear on such an issue, it seems all too likely.

I have no idea where you are all getting this science fiction from.

Not probable, not likely, not even remotely possible.

Science fiction...yet here we are.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »

In such an event, with Pence resigning from office let us say, for health reasons, I can see Trump picking House Speaker Paul Ryan to become the new Vice President, in spite of their differences in the past.

Ryan has tremendous support amongst Congressional Republicans, in both the House and Senate, and is seen as capable and knowledgeable.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »

In such an event, with Pence resigning from office let us say, for health reasons, I can see Trump picking House Speaker Paul Ryan to become the new Vice President, in spite of their differences in the past.

Ryan has tremendous support amongst Congressional Republicans, in both the House and Senate, and is seen as capable and knowledgeable.

Why would he pick somebody who could be seen as his credible replacement (and, let us face it, the only reason Ryan would agree to take the job is if he thinks that impeachment is likely)? He would pick somebody, who would make most shudder of the thought they could be president. At best, he would take somebody very weak, with no following - and of clearly inferior capabilities. That - or a family member. I can hardly see any other options.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2017, 11:06:43 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Why would he pick somebody who could be seen as his credible replacement (and, let us face it, the only reason Ryan would agree to take the job is if he thinks that impeachment is likely)? He would pick somebody, who would make most shudder of the thought they could be president. At best, he would take somebody very weak, with no following - and of clearly inferior capabilities. That - or a family member. I can hardly see any other options.

You have just made the perfect argument as to why Ryan would be the ideal replacement VP.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 11:16:55 PM »

Do not post in this thread unless you have a serious answer to my original question.

Kushner is not a serious answer.  It is delusional.

"Jared Kushner to be named senior adviser to the president"
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/09/politics/jared-kushner-to-be-named-senior-adviser-to-the-president/index.html

It's going to be fun watching the Trump cultists heads explode from cognitive dissonance over the next four years.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 11:41:55 PM »

You have just made the perfect argument as to why Ryan would be the ideal replacement VP.

Happy to hear you not only despise the president your party has elected, but also think that your Speaker of the House (who is, in any case, the next in line of succession in case of VP office being vacant) is of "clearly inferior capabilities".  Perhaps, you will next support appointing a certified drooling idiot to be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 11:51:04 PM »

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 12:01:31 AM »

Happy to hear you not only despise the president your party has elected, but also think that your Speaker of the House (who is, in any case, the next in line of succession in case of VP office being vacant) is of "clearly inferior capabilities".  Perhaps, you will next support appointing a certified drooling idiot to be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

Points to be made

I am very sorry if you fail to understand the points I was clearly making that Ryan is obviously very qualified to be VP.

Please show me in this thread where I have stated that I "despise President Trump", which you have alleged against me.

Please show me in this thread where I have stated that Paul Ryan is of "clearly inferior capabilities".

Should you fail to provide the required proof requested, than I will expect your immediate and unequivocal apologies both to myself and to the readers of this thread for treating myself and the readers of this thread of being stupid and incapable of reading and understanding what I have posted.

And I am not interested in seeing your own interpretation  of statements I have made.  I am interested in seeing your proof of the quotes I have received directly from you yourself.

Come on, don't back out now.  You made the accusations, now prove them.

Ready

Set

Go..........
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 12:03:56 AM »

Thank you for making a serious contribution to this discussion.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 12:05:10 AM »

It depends on who in Trump's administration has done well up to that point, who was confirmed with a large number of votes etc.  My guess is an army guy.  It could be Mattis or Kelly.

Thank you for making  serious contribution to this discussion.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 12:07:12 AM »

Nikki Haley, Scott Brown, James Mattis, Jim Webb, Jan Brewer, and Jon Huntsman would likely get the shortlist.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 12:09:46 AM »

Well, good question, although I don’t see Pence resigning in the next four years. He published his tax returns and has no business interests. I disagree with him on virtually all issues, but I don’t think he’s corrupt. The only possible reason to step down would be his health.

I have a feeling the Trumpster would try to get an unconventional choice through. Either a businessman or a general. Maybe Mattis, Kelly or Flynn. Even Tillerson could be an option (he wouldn’t try with Petraeus, because wouldn’t get through). If it’s a politician: Rick or Tim Scott, Scott Brown or Jeff Sessions. But my gut feeling tells me he would try an unconventional candidate. He wanted this already back in summer but he (or his kids) chose Pence to appease the party establishment. Now that he won, he is in a stronger position within the party and congress.

Thank  you for making a serious contribution to this discussion.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 12:51:07 AM »

His shortlist was Pence, Christie and Gingrich. It would be larger now he is President and not seen as a likely election loser. Haley works. Christie no after Bridge gate,  Gingrich maybe but I doubt he could be confirmed. Sessions was a possibility then and could be now. Maybe Bob Corker. One possibility to consider was that in late October Pence's plane skidded on the runway, but no one was injured. What if the plane was destroyed and Pence died? Who would be the late VP selection?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 12:54:05 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 12:55:52 AM by ag »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Happy to hear you ... think that your Speaker of the House (who is, in any case, the next in line of succession in case of VP office being vacant) is of "clearly inferior capabilities".  
[/quote]

Please show me in this thread where I have stated that Paul Ryan is of "clearly inferior capabilities".

[/quote]

First, the easiest. I have stated that the VP nominee would have to be somebody of "clearly inferior capabilities". You told me - in response - that I have made the perfect argument, why Ryan would be the ideal replacement. Conclusion: you believe that Ryan is somebody of clearly inferior capabilities.

Should I continue?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 01:00:56 AM »

Well, let me continue anyway. You have, historically, made numerous comments and posts on this forum disparaging Trump. I have quoted them back to you already once, and I am happy to do that again (assuming you did not go back and cleaned up the record of your posts). Nothing has happened to justify you changing that well-considered opinion. Even during the campaign, when you went on record supporting him, you were always very clear that your support is not based on liking or respecting the gentleman himself. True, the guy will now be president, representing your party: but  he is the same person you have repeatedly disparaged in the past. You might be paying respects to the office, but what has changed to justify a change in your attitude towards the person that will happen to occupy it?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 01:43:36 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 01:56:54 AM by Lincoln Republican »

You have proven nothing.

All you have done is put your interpretation to my statements.

Show me where I ever stated in this thread that Paul Ryan is of "clearly inferior capabilities".  You can't.

You yourself are the one who has stated about Trump and Ryan "Why would he pick somebody who could be seen as his credible replacement "

By you making this statement, you yourself are agreeing with me that Ryan is credible.

Show me where I ever stated in this thread that I "despise President Trump".  You can't.

These are your words, not mine.

And by the way, when Trump is sworn into office on January 20, he will be the President of the United States, all the United States, and not the President representing my party.

As for my statements, what is relevant are my statements in this thread, not something I may have said months ago.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 02:07:54 AM »

His shortlist was Pence, Christie and Gingrich. It would be larger now he is President and not seen as a likely election loser. Haley works. Christie no after Bridge gate,  Gingrich maybe but I doubt he could be confirmed. Sessions was a possibility then and could be now. Maybe Bob Corker. One possibility to consider was that in late October Pence's plane skidded on the runway, but no one was injured. What if the plane was destroyed and Pence died? Who would be the late VP selection?

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 03:26:27 AM »

Ok, I appreciate that. Now any thoughts on my contribution?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 08:59:42 AM by ag »

You have proven nothing.

Show me where I ever stated in this thread that Paul Ryan is of "clearly inferior capabilities".  You can't.

You yourself are the one who has stated about Trump and Ryan "Why would he pick somebody who could be seen as his credible replacement "

By you making this statement, you yourself are agreeing with me that Ryan is credible.

Show me where I ever stated in this thread that I "despise President Trump".  You can't.

And by the way, when Trump is sworn into office on January 20, he will be the President of the United States, all the United States, and not the President representing my party.

As for my statements, what is relevant are my statements in this thread, not something I may have said months ago.  

I said that Ryan is credible: sure, he is. I also said that this is the reason why he cannot be nominated: being of "clearly inferior capability" is a necessary condition for such an appointment (unless it comes from the family). You told me, I gave the great reason why Ryan should be appointed. Well, the main qualification for the appointment I gave was being incapable of doing the job. In every normal understanding of your response I can think of this means we disagree on this very fact: I think Ryan could make a credible president, and that is why he cannot be appointed, while you believe that he is, indeed, of inferior capability and, thus, may be nominated.

Perhaps, you meant something else and just had a problem expressing yourself (ever since you have become a Trumpista you are getting to be increasingly incoherent: clear sign of a continuous rape of your own thought process you are forced to be doing), but this is what you said.

I am amused to observe the emphatic repudiation of everything you have said in the past. I hope, the Minitrue of the new administration will take that into consideration. Are you that scared?

You have always despised Donald Trump. I guess, adding the word "President" changes that for you. It changes nothing about the man, though. Oh, yeah, Trump will be the president of the USA. Fortunately, I am not an American.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 09:01:47 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 09:03:34 AM by ag »

His shortlist was Pence, Christie and Gingrich. It would be larger now he is President and not seen as a likely election loser. Haley works. Christie no after Bridge gate,  Gingrich maybe but I doubt he could be confirmed. Sessions was a possibility then and could be now. Maybe Bob Corker. One possibility to consider was that in late October Pence's plane skidded on the runway, but no one was injured. What if the plane was destroyed and Pence died? Who would be the late VP selection?

That would be a serious contribution to this discussion. And in his current state he is incapable of such a feat: he still needs to develop the proper capacity for the doublethink.
Stm85
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 06:54:46 PM by Stm85 »

This is an unlikely situation but I'll play along. I think he'd avoid someone who would be seen as a "Washington insider," so I'd expect a governor or perhaps a youngish/recently elected Senator who shares some of his more hardline views. My shortlist and one wildcard pick:

Scott Walker
Tom Cotton
Matt Bevin
Rick Scott
Joni Ernst
Mary Fallin
Joe Manchin

Manchin is my wildcard pick because his ideological profile isn't terribly different from Trump's, it would open up an additional seat for Senate Republicans, and Manchin could avoid a tough campaign in a state that went over 70% red in 2016. The caveat here being that he would need to change parties. The rest of the picks would maintain his outsider credentials and wouldn't face too difficult a confirmation process.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »

Pam Bondi.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 09:32:36 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2017, 11:05:17 AM by Lincoln Republican »

You have proven nothing.

I said that Ryan is credible: sure, he is. I also said that this is the reason why he cannot be nominated: being of "clearly inferior capability" is a necessary condition for such an appointment (unless it comes from the family). You told me, I gave the great reason why Ryan should be appointed. Well, the main qualification for the appointment I gave was being incapable of doing the job. In every normal understanding of your response I can think of this means we disagree on this very fact: I think Ryan could make a credible president, and that is why he cannot be appointed, while you believe that he is, indeed, of inferior capability and, thus, may be nominated.

Perhaps, you meant something else and just had a problem expressing yourself (ever since you have become a Trumpista you are getting to be increasingly incoherent: clear sign of a continuous rape of your own thought process you are forced to be doing), but this is what you said.

I am amused to observe the emphatic repudiation of everything you have said in the past. I hope, the Minitrue of the new administration will take that into consideration. Are you that scared?

You have always despised Donald Trump. I guess, adding the word "President" changes that for you. It changes nothing about the man, though. Oh, yeah, Trump will be the president of the USA. Fortunately, I am not an American.

For me, Paul Ryan is clearly one of the most credible, articulate, and intelligent people in public life today.

I see you are still running away from my challenge, because you know your accusations are baseless.  I have challenged you twice now, and twice you have evaded the issue at hand, and thrown personal insults at me.  But whatever.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »

An interesting pick, but I believe far too inexperienced to be considered for the job.

I would not be surprised, however, to see her become Governor of Florida or U.S. Senator from Florida some day.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2017, 10:08:57 PM »

Yes.

Your knowledge of the situation and your insight are remarkable.

I totally agree with you that there is no way Christie could be confirmed, and Gingrich, I believe, has gone off the rails.  So he would be out as well.

Haley would be interesting, although, personally, I doubt Trump would pick her for the VP job.  Sessions may too controversial, Corker would be a good choice.

You know, I do remember the Pence plane skidding on the runway, but I never gave any thought at the time that if he died, Heaven forbid, as to who would then become the VP candidate.

The dynamics and criteria in that situation would of course be different from a situation where Pence resigns from office during the first Trump term.

In the plane crash situation, I rather believe that Trump would have again gone to someone with solid DC experience as a legislator who could move the Trump agenda through Congress.

So thank you for sharing your thoughts on this hypothetical situation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies