If humans had to leave Earth and go live somewhere else in space, where/how?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:29:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If humans had to leave Earth and go live somewhere else in space, where/how?  (Read 471 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:00:12 AM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »

There would be mass suicide before you get us off data networks.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:02:27 AM »

Download all our consciencenesses into a big floppy disc, and send us hurting into space.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 09:13:39 AM »

Excellent question. Mars is the obvious answer, but maybe not the only one.
In ST 2063 is the year warp drive is invented, but I don't see any evidence that this fiction
will ever become fact. I don't know if any of the moons out there (of Jupiter, Saturn etc) are any better than Mars.

Mars is cold, but it is the only logical choice, as I see it.

I would be very interested if anyone has any specific ideas of places other than Mars.
Our moon doesn't have the most friendly climate. There is the idea of hollowed out asteroids, which could be used like space ships. (aka planetoids)

As for the how, well right now we don't have the ability to go to other solar systems, but exploring this one is not really a question of "how", but of the willingness to spend an awful lot of money.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 10:09:11 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_(film)

DUH
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »

Probably satellites in space.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »

Excellent question. Mars is the obvious answer, but maybe not the only one.
In ST 2063 is the year warp drive is invented, but I don't see any evidence that this fiction
will ever become fact. I don't know if any of the moons out there (of Jupiter, Saturn etc) are any better than Mars.

Mars is cold, but it is the only logical choice, as I see it.

I would be very interested if anyone has any specific ideas of places other than Mars.
Our moon doesn't have the most friendly climate. There is the idea of hollowed out asteroids, which could be used like space ships. (aka planetoids)

As for the how, well right now we don't have the ability to go to other solar systems, but exploring this one is not really a question of "how", but of the willingness to spend an awful lot of money.
There's Titan (which has an atmosphere and a magnetic field, to protect against radiation), Europa (which likely has a moon-wide ocean of liquid water underneath its icy crust), there's the Moon (now that we know it has water ice), and the newly-discovered planet in the Goldilocks habitable zone with probably liquid water which orbits Proxima Cenaturi our closest neighboring star.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:11:53 PM »

Our closest neighbor is a little over 4 light years. We would have to create a ship that goes over 100 times faster than what we have achieved so far to get there in 100 years.

That's crude math. It took about 2-3 days to get to the Moon. It is about 2-3 "light seconds" away. (rough guestimates based on my memory) a day is 86000 seconds. Therefore a spaceship would have to go about 86000 times what we now are capable of. At the speed of light a round trip would take a little over 8 years, so even that would be difficult. The bottom line being that it would take a lot to get there. I would think that it will be at least 100-200 years from before we would make such a trip. Will any of us be alive?
A trip to those moons you mentioned would be plausible in the next 50 years. I think we have the ability to go to Mars much sooner than that, if we had the will to spend the money.
I certainly hope that the idea of peacefull exploration of space is an agreed upon goal. It wouldn't be a good idea to export our war like nature into space.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 03:19:02 PM »

Perhaps another question (a little off topic perhaps), is if there is already sentient life out there somewhere. So far, no evidence. In this case the lack of evidence isn't necessarily evidence of absence, but it might be a good idea to be skeptical. I've always thought that it made sense to colonize the entire universe (a mind boggling concept, no doubt) if we are alone in the universe.

It's fun to think about. It may, as the thread title suggests even be necessary, if we somehow manage to destroy the earth's ability to sustain life, which may unfortunately at this point in time, be a possibility due to climate change if not nuclear war, although neither would necessarily mean that we destroy all life, just a lot of it. Certainly something about which to be concerned.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »

Of course some people believe that we have already been visited by ets; I do not.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2017, 01:04:46 AM by Meclazine »

Mars is the emergency option if you take your own survival systems.

Ave temperature: -63 degrees C.

Mars only has 1% of the atmosphere and 40% of the gravity. In a low gravity environment, humans suffer global flattening of the eyeballs and go blind. We are really only useful in 9.8ms2 gravity scenarios.

The moons of Jupiter and Saturn may be an option.

Otherwise, it's time to change solar system.

The nearest star is about 300 life times away.

It will take 17,900 years to get there at high slingshot satellite speeds = 150,000 mph. Which is pelting.

In that time, the chances of a terry blowing up the space ship would be pretty high.

The Earth has about 4 billion years left before our Sun blows a valve, so we have no time to lose.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »

Our species is doomed to extinction no matter what unless we find a way to leave our Solar System, which is mind boggling at this moment.  We just have to hope some friendly aliens show up and give us the tech to do it. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 08:47:28 PM »

The sea floor is a better option.  Less expensive and closer to home.  We can build walls thick enough to withstand the pressure and we can collect oxygen, to breathe, and radiation from the sun, to grow plants, from the surface.  We won't need to grow cows and chickens, because we can eat fish and other sea animals.  Large domes can be built with redundant interlocks.  Submarines have taken humans to depths of 11000 meters.  We can build hemispheres of about one mile in diameter to hold ten thousand humans and grow fruits and other plants.  30 thousand of these domes could house the entire population of the United States.  They should be placed around the globe, in case tectonic disturbances arise only a small fraction of the population would be destroyed, but mostly in the tropics so as to avoid pricey heating bills.  I estimate the cost of constructing 30 thousand of these to be about 160 trillion US dollars, or about ten years worth of our national aggregate GDP.  This figure does not include maintenance. 
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »

Oh also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9tDO3HK20Q

Chills
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:48 PM »

There is a current plan to get to Mars by 2032. I will turn 77 in November of that year, so there is a good possibility that I'll still be alive. It will be interesting to see what the plan is by then if it is launched that year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_One
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »

Mars is the only one with soil, trace amounts of water, and an atmosphere (albeit an inhospitable one).  So it would probably be a prime candidate. Maybe Titan would have some benefits, given its plentitude of organic compounds?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 03:27:05 PM »

In distance from Earth (assuming Jupiter and Saturn are at there closest to Earth).

1. The Moon
2. Mars
3. Europa/Jupiter
4. Titan/Saturn
5. Alpha Centauri

Although Titan is a little further than Europa, we may go to Titan before Europa if it looks more
suitable.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »

Here are the moons with a diameter of 1000 kilometers or more. (=621 miles)
and Pluto and Mercury for comparison:

Ganymede         Jupiter   5262
Titan                  Saturn   5150
Mercury    planet             4879
Callisto               Jupiter  4820
Io                       Jupiter   3660
The Moon           Earth    3474
Europa               Jupiter     3121
Triton                 Neptune 2700
Pluto   planet                    2374
Titania               Uranus   1576
Oberon              Uranus   1522
Iapetus             Saturn   1470
Charon              Pluto      1208
Umbriel              Uranus   1169
Ariel                   Uranus   1157
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 01:07:06 AM »

Maybe Titan would have some benefits, given its plentitude of organic compounds?

Interesting piece on Titan:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-10/nasa-releases-detailed-image-of-titan/7015678

Normally orange.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies