Was Judas' "betrayal" a mistranslation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:11:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Was Judas' "betrayal" a mistranslation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was Judas' "betrayal" a mistranslation?  (Read 2069 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:21:36 AM »

Last night I was watching a documentary series about untold "secrets" of the Bible.  Something that caught my attention is one scholar's belief that the word "betrayal" is a mistranslation of the word "paradidomi," which more accurately translates to simply "hand over."  If this is true, it would follow that Judas, rather than betray Jesus, likely worked with him to make certain that Jesus would be crucified in order to facilitate God's plan for humanity.  However, this theory does not account for the word translated as "traitor" in Luke 6:16, which could have been a mistake by the author of Luke or a copyist's error.

I googled William Klassen's theory for more information, but couldn't find much discussion over it or concurrence by a reputable source.  Is there any plausibility to this claim?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »

Well, there's a Gnostic Book of Judas which explains exactly that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »

Well, there's a Gnostic Book of Judas which explains exactly that.

I can't wait to hear Greatest I Am's enlightened commentary of it.

(I can)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:44:06 PM »

Have you read "Three Versions of Judas"?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »

Have you read "Three Versions of Judas"?

No.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »

Judas's behavior (in the canonical texts) before and after the event isn't consistent with Jesus having colluded in it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:08:22 PM »

I'm actually pretty hungry right now.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:24:41 PM »

I don't think there's any real doubt that the gospel accounts consider what Judas did to be a betrayal.  They do vary about why he betrayed him.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »

Last night I was watching a documentary series about untold "secrets" of the Bible. 

I'm no scholar of Greek, but the way the documentary presents itself makes me skeptical they're providing anything useful or profound. It kind of sounds like those silly ancient aliens docs on the History channel.

Something that caught my attention is one scholar's belief that the word "betrayal" is a mistranslation of the word "paradidomi," which more accurately translates to simply "hand over."  If this is true, it would follow that Judas, rather than betray Jesus, likely worked with him to make certain that Jesus would be crucified in order to facilitate God's plan for humanity.  However, this theory does not account for the word translated as "traitor" in Luke 6:16, which could have been a mistake by the author of Luke or a copyist's error.

One thing we Westerners often forget is that the early Church operated mostly in Greek. Most of the attendees at the Council of Nicea were Greek speakers for example, with Latin speakers. The Greek Christians obviously can't mistranslate when reading words written in their own language, so the issue would have to be a question of misunderstanding the overall text. But if that's the case...

Judas's behavior (in the canonical texts) before and after the event isn't consistent with Jesus having colluded in it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 07:12:34 PM »

That was one of my gripes with his theory, actually.  That and the fact that no serious Biblical scholar I know of has acknowledged let alone considered it.

Last night I was watching a documentary series about untold "secrets" of the Bible.

I'm no scholar of Greek, but the way the documentary presents itself makes me skeptical they're providing anything useful or profound. It kind of sounds like those silly ancient aliens docs on the History channel.

Yeah, the show very much presents itself as sort of a #hottake clip series.  It's not from the History Channel, though the format is reminiscent of the History Channel prior to its mid-2000s devolution.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

One thing we Westerners often forget is that the early Church operated mostly in Greek. Most of the attendees at the Council of Nicea were Greek speakers for example, with Latin speakers. The Greek Christians obviously can't mistranslate when reading words written in their own language, so the issue would have to be a question of misunderstanding the overall text. But if that's the case...
[/quote]

That's important to have in mind.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 01:56:43 PM »

There is a book called "Don't Check Your Brains At The Door."

It had a chapter about mistranslations, and explained pretty well why it's unlikely to occur in the Bible. I recommend it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »

Fun story:

The English word "traitor" comes from the Latin word "traditor," which literally means "one who hands over."
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »

If it was, it might have been the most harmful mistranslation in history.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies