Atlas Moral Acceptability Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:11:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Atlas Moral Acceptability Poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: For each of the following moral issues, select whether you find it Acceptable (A) or Unacceptable (U)
A - Gay or lesbian relations

U - Gay or lesbian relations

A - Having a baby outside of marriage

U - Having a baby outside of marriage

A - Sex between an unmarried man and woman

U - Sex between an unmarried man and woman

A - Divorce

U - Divorce

A - Medical research using stem cells from human embryos

U - Medical research using stem cells obtained from human embryos

A - Polygamy

U - Polygamy

A - Cloning humans

U - Cloning humans

A - Doctor-assisted suicide

U - Doctor-assisted suicide

A - Suicide

U - Suicide

A - Gambling

U - Gambling

A - Abortion

U - Abortion

A - Cloning animals

U - Cloning animals

A - Buying and wearing clothing made of animal fur

U - Buying and wearing clothing made of animal fur

A - Married men and women having an affair

U - Married men and women having an affair

A - The death penalty

U - The death penalty

A - Medical testing on animals

U - Medical testing on animals

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 163

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Atlas Moral Acceptability Poll  (Read 8039 times)
LBJer
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2022, 01:01:11 PM »

In general, I'd say that all are morally acceptable except the death penalty, buying fur, cloning humans, and medical testing on animals.  

When I say the death penalty is wrong, I mean that it's wrong as legal, public policy.  There are times when it's clear someone is guilty of a horrible crime even if they haven't been put on trial, and if that's so I don't think it's necessarily wrong for a private person to get retribution by killing them.  For example, I don't think Leroy Jethro Gibbs on NCIS was wrong to kill the drug dealer who killed his family.  But if death is a legally mandated punishment available for all cases of a particular crime, the potential for someone innocent to be executed makes it morally unacceptable, in my view.

I remember looking at pictures of fur coats as a child and finding them glamorous.  If I had been an adult when I was growing up (the 80s) or earlier and could afford it, and if I didn't have a mother who loved animals and sensitized me to them, I'd probably have bought a girlfriend (I don't say wife because I don't want to get married) a mink coat.  But living when I do, and given how I was raised and feel now, I can't justify it and wouldn't do it.  However, I certainly would never say that people who use fur for clothing because they have to for survival are doing anything wrong.

Cloning humans seems to have too much potential for "master race" overtones.

I find the idea of medical testing on animals horrifying on its face; there would have to be clear and convincing evidence that doing so was necessary to prevent even greater suffering/death than it would cause for me to say it was acceptable.  

Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2022, 06:01:31 PM »

A - Gay or lesbian relations   - Love is love, no matter whether it's straight or gay/lesbian   
A - Having a baby outside of marriage - Not my place to judge       
A - Sex between an unmarried man and woman - As long as it's consensual, again, not my place to judge
A - Divorce - If the marriage is falling apart, it's best to just end it than continue an unhealthy marriage
A - Medical research using stem cells from human embryos - Don't see anything wrong with it
U - Polygamy - One partner at a time
U - Cloning humans - Lots of ethical and logistical problems with this one
A - Doctor-assisted suicide* - *Only if one is terminally ill
A - Suicide    - Unfortunate that it happens, but vilifying it is just victim-blaming
A - Gambling - Personally against it, but it's not my place to say others can't
U - Abortion - Unless the fetus isn't viable, or the mother's health is in danger, it's murder, especially after 22 weeks
U - Cloning animals - Lots of ethical problems here       
A - Buying and wearing clothing made of animal fur - Not my place to judge
U - Married men and women having an affair - Cheating on your partner is dishonest and a betrayal of trust
U - The death penalty   - Life sentences are preferred for heinous crimes. You hurt or kill someone else, you deserve to suffer for it   
U - Medical testing on animals - Ethical problems
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2022, 05:01:21 AM »

U - Gay or lesbian relations   - No sienticfic evidence of this being a thing beyond a few people in librul cities.   
U - Having a baby outside of marriage - Illegalize, people who do so are morally dumb and I must impoze my religion on them.   
U - Sex between an unmarried man and woman - No. Sex should be only for reproduction, obviously.
U - Divorce - No, of course not. Instead of getting a divorse they should think about how if they didn't buy that new iPhone maybe it would work.
U - Medical research using stem cells from human embryos - No. Unviable single-cell fetuses should have the same rights as people, ofc.
A - Polygamy - Not my place to judge. Should of course be one man and multiple women, the other side is evil ofc.
A - Cloning humans - We should, hopefully to increase the population of religious, real Americans who believe in Jesus Christ.
U - Doctor-assisted suicide - No, our healthcare system makes money off the late-stage palatial care system.
U - Suicide    - No, send those to prison who commit suicide.
U - Gambling - No, it could lead to the poorz being less poorz
U - Abortion - No. The fetus has more rights than the mother of course. Ban abortion in all circumstances like El Salvador.
U - Cloning animals - The poorz might get cheaper food, which takes away the incentive to work.     
U - Buying and wearing clothing made of animal fur - No. Killing animals is bad unless it is hunting with a gun.
U* - Married men and women having an affair - Only if the man does it. If the women does it do what the ancient Samaritans did and toss her into a river.
A - The death penalty   -  Use it for crimes against the church and false coinage of gold and silver.
U - Medical testing on animals - Ethical problems
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2022, 10:38:13 AM »

Also, my list:

Gay Relations: Acceptable if between two individuals
Having a baby outside of marriage: Generally unacceptable
Sex outside of marriage: Acceptable only if in a stable and committed relationship
Divorce: Unacceptable
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Always good
Polygamy: Unacceptable
Cloning humans: Acceptable
Gambling: Generally unacceptable
Abortion: Acceptable
Cloning animals: Acceptable
Fur: Acceptable
Affairs: Unacceptable
Death Penalty: Unacceptable
Medical Testing on Animals: Acceptable

Why are Gay Relations acceptable but Polygamous Relations are not (assuming consent for all involved of course)?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2022, 11:13:58 AM »

U - Gay or lesbian relations   - No sienticfic evidence of this being a thing beyond a few people in librul cities.   

Ahem, not sure if totally serious?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies