Atlas Moral Acceptability Poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:04:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Atlas Moral Acceptability Poll (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For each of the following moral issues, select whether you find it Acceptable (A) or Unacceptable (U)
A - Gay or lesbian relations

U - Gay or lesbian relations

A - Having a baby outside of marriage

U - Having a baby outside of marriage

A - Sex between an unmarried man and woman

U - Sex between an unmarried man and woman

A - Divorce

U - Divorce

A - Medical research using stem cells from human embryos

U - Medical research using stem cells obtained from human embryos

A - Polygamy

U - Polygamy

A - Cloning humans

U - Cloning humans

A - Doctor-assisted suicide

U - Doctor-assisted suicide

A - Suicide

U - Suicide

A - Gambling

U - Gambling

A - Abortion

U - Abortion

A - Cloning animals

U - Cloning animals

A - Buying and wearing clothing made of animal fur

U - Buying and wearing clothing made of animal fur

A - Married men and women having an affair

U - Married men and women having an affair

A - The death penalty

U - The death penalty

A - Medical testing on animals

U - Medical testing on animals

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 163

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Atlas Moral Acceptability Poll  (Read 8028 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: January 09, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »
« edited: January 09, 2017, 09:14:02 PM by DavidB. »

A - Gay or lesbian relations
U - Having a baby outside of marriage
A - Sex between an unmarried man and woman
A - Divorce
U - Medical research using stem cells obtained from human embryos
U - Polygamy
U - Cloning humans
Didn't vote, too difficult - Doctor-assisted suicide
Didn't vote, too difficult - Suicide
U - Gambling
U - Abortion (but it's acceptable in the first weeks and -- obviously -- if the mother's health necessitates it)
U - Cloning animals
U - Buying and wearing clothing made of animal fur (exception: countries/areas that are really really really cold)
U - Married men and women having an affair
A - The death penalty
A - Medical testing on animals (but would always prefer alternatives if possible, and obviously not acceptable for cosmetics or tobacco or any of that)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 09:21:09 PM »

Gay Relations: Acceptable
Having a baby outside of marriage: Mostly unacceptable
Sex outside of marriage: Mostly acceptable
Divorce: Mostly acceptable
Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Unacceptable
Polygamy: Unacceptable
Cloning humans: Unacceptable
Doctor-assisted suicide: Extremely unacceptable
Suicide: Unacceptable
Gambling: Virtue
Abortion: Unacceptable for non-Jews
Cloning animals: Moderately unacceptable
Fur: Acceptable
Affairs: No comment, but better than open "marriages"
Death Penalty: Acceptable, but mostly undesirable
Medical Testing on Animals: Mostly acceptable
What??
Probably because it's acceptable according to Jewish law until 40 days (under certain circumstances, with rabbinical permission) and Santander respects that view.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 11:57:07 AM by DavidB. »

Why do so many people consider fur to be acceptable when there are so many good alternatives and the method of obtaining fur almost always involves unimaginably terrible treatment of animals? Truly boggles the mind.

And apparently there are relatively more people who consider fur to be acceptable than people who consider medical testing on animals to be acceptable? Fashion is now more important than saving lives?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 03:22:09 PM »

Doctor-assisted suicide: Acceptable, particularly for those with a terminal and debilitating illness.
I can't even imagine your moral justification for assisted suicide under any other circumstance...
The trolling becomes kinda tiresome.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:42:23 AM »

I'll repeat this point: why do so many people consider fur to be acceptable? Do you guys know nothing about the process of obtaining it? Because the idea that you do know about it yet simply don't give a sh**t is really too disturbing.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »

I'll repeat this point: why do so many people consider fur to be acceptable? Do you guys know nothing about the process of obtaining it? Because the idea that you do know about it yet simply don't give a sh**t is really too disturbing.
'
Hello? 60 (!) people voted that this is acceptable.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:32 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2017, 10:24:36 PM by DavidB. »

'

I voted acceptable on the assumption that there are probably ethical ways of obtaining fur. This might have been a dumb assumption, and if it is, I'd change my vote to unacceptable.
I'd say that yes, there are morally acceptable ways of obtaining fur, but almost all fur on the market isn't actually produced ethically (as ssuperflash said, the animals are skinned alive), which is why I generally consider buying clothing made of animal fur to be morally unacceptable.

In the same way, I don't think eating meat is necessarily wrong or morally unacceptable, but since nearly all of the meat that's on the market right now has been produced in morally problematic ways, I refrain from eating meat altogether.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »

'

I voted acceptable on the assumption that there are probably ethical ways of obtaining fur. This might have been a dumb assumption, and if it is, I'd change my vote to unacceptable.
I'd say that yes, there are morally acceptable ways of obtaining fur, but almost all fur on the market isn't actually produced ethically (as ssuperflash said, the animals are skinned alive), which is why I generally consider buying clothing made of animal fur to be morally unacceptable.

In the same way, I don't think eating meat is necessarily wrong or morally unacceptable, but since nearly all of the meat that's on the market right now has been produced in morally problematic ways, I refrain from eating meat altogether.
Not everyone necesarily believes in the concept of animal rights, either
I don't believe in animal rights either. I do, however, believe in minimizing animal suffering as much as possible.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:23:42 PM »

Abortion, fur and unmarried sex ok, but gay relationships not? Wtf?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »

I'm always a bit surprised by the difference between 'Having a baby outside marriage' and 'sex outside of marriage' since if having sex is okay I don't see why having a baby wouldn't be.
I voted like that, so I'll respond to this one: how is this strange for those who don't oppose using contraceptives? Having random sex with someone may be problematic in terms of religious law but doesn't have any direct negative consequences for others and could therefore be considered morally acceptable. However, children deserve to grow up in a stable environment with parents who love one another. I don't really care if the kid's parents are legally married, but they better be in a long-term, stable relationship, committed to each other and the family forever.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 06:32:22 AM »

-All these were consensus in the Eastern Bloc c. 1970, so this combination is not totally unusual.
I didn't say it's unusual, I said it's morally weird. No reason to oppose gay relationships if you don't mind unmarried sex and abortion. Do you find it morally acceptable for me to argue you be sent to the Gulag? Was "not totally unusual" too, in the Eastern Bloc. Doesn't make it right.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »

-All these were consensus in the Eastern Bloc c. 1970, so this combination is not totally unusual.
I didn't say it's unusual, I said it's morally weird. No reason to oppose gay relationships if you don't mind unmarried sex and abortion. Do you find it morally acceptable for me to argue you be sent to the Gulag? Was "not totally unusual" too, in the Eastern Bloc. Doesn't make it right.
Nothing weird about it. There isn't any logical connection between your view of whether abortion is murder and opinion of gays. A lot of people dislike gay relationships for being unnatural without being prudes when it comes to straight sex. It seems your ideas of what is moral are based on religion, but religion doesn't mean squat for many of us and our moral concepts are unrelated to religious ideas.
If you dislike gay relationships because they would be "unnatural" (what does that even mean?) and it's not even based on religion then that's bigotry on a level that most people wouldn't eagerly admit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies