Atlas Moral Acceptability Poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:51:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Atlas Moral Acceptability Poll (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: For each of the following moral issues, select whether you find it Acceptable (A) or Unacceptable (U)
A - Gay or lesbian relations

U - Gay or lesbian relations

A - Having a baby outside of marriage

U - Having a baby outside of marriage

A - Sex between an unmarried man and woman

U - Sex between an unmarried man and woman

A - Divorce

U - Divorce

A - Medical research using stem cells from human embryos

U - Medical research using stem cells obtained from human embryos

A - Polygamy

U - Polygamy

A - Cloning humans

U - Cloning humans

A - Doctor-assisted suicide

U - Doctor-assisted suicide

A - Suicide

U - Suicide

A - Gambling

U - Gambling

A - Abortion

U - Abortion

A - Cloning animals

U - Cloning animals

A - Buying and wearing clothing made of animal fur

U - Buying and wearing clothing made of animal fur

A - Married men and women having an affair

U - Married men and women having an affair

A - The death penalty

U - The death penalty

A - Medical testing on animals

U - Medical testing on animals

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 163

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Atlas Moral Acceptability Poll  (Read 8166 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« on: January 10, 2017, 10:26:53 AM »

Gay relations - acceptable, obviously.
Child outside of marriage - fine if it's the ase of an umarried couple that happens to be together. Probably not morally unacceptable if it's a single mother situation, but far from ideal and should be avoided.
Sex between unmarried people - acceptable
Divorce - acceptable
Medical research involving stem cells from human embryos - acceptable because of the advantages of it, creating live-saving opportunities should outweigh ethical concerns for it. I do agree though that it should be dumped if there is a better way.
Polygamy - acceptable in theory so as long as everyone involved in the relationship knows and understands. Probably less so in how it's practiced in real life, though.
Cloning humans - so as long as the person being cloned has consent and there are no risks of damage to the person I don't mind. Not an issue I can see really improving people's lives, though.
Doctor-assisted suicide - I think in the issues that would necessitate euthanasia/DAS (such as terminal illness or lots of pain and suffering) it's justified. Probably shouldn't be used in normal circumstances though.
Suicide - didn't vote, not really either morally acceptable or unacceptable. This is almost always a tragic and regrettable thing for the family though.
Gambling - acceptable. I do agree the risk gambling addiction is a massive issue, but in the same way as alcohol addiction is rather than a moral right or wrong sort of thing.
Abortion - acceptable if the mother's health is at risk, or if the embryo is unviable/too young to survive. Unacceptable if it is.
Cloning animals - here I lean unacceptable. I'm not convinced of the benefits of cloning, and unlike humans you can't really have consent here.
Animal fur - tough. Voted unacceptable if it's as a result of an animal killed for its fur. Acceptable if its from an animal which is already dead and wasn't trapped in cage like conditions for its whole life. Again lean unacceptable on the whole.
Affairs - unacceptable, naturally. Is an affair with consent really an affair? I don't think so.
Death penalty - unacceptable. AFAIC you don't have the right to kill someone no matter who you are or what you did. I don't believe in an eye for an eye.
Medical testing on animals - see stem cell research. The benefits are enough to outweigh the damage done to the animals in my eyes, though like stem cell research if there's a better way of doing it without damaging animals then doing medical testing on animals should be abandoned.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies