If this is a coup attempt, it's the most bumbling one in history.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:53:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  If this is a coup attempt, it's the most bumbling one in history.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If this is a coup attempt, it's the most bumbling one in history.  (Read 2798 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 09:32:42 PM »

Trump is evil, but a complete moron too. With this treasonous Putin bootlicker out of office, we can have a fair and honest DOJ take a long hard look at Trump and the the GOP's crimes.

Unless Trump tries to pull some serious sh**t between now and inauguration day, I doubt they will and for the same reason the Obama Administration didn't take a hard look into the possible illegalities of the Bush Administration. Our best hope is that the South District of New York has something on Trump that sticks and brings him down.

Comparing what Trump is doing to anything Bush is doing shows even Dems see this as acceptable and normal--nothing Bush did even remotely compares to Trump trying to undermine the election and incite violence in order to stay in power.

And Trump is already pulling quite a lot of sh**t if you haven't already noticed.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 09:41:06 PM »

Trump is evil, but a complete moron too. With this treasonous Putin bootlicker out of office, we can have a fair and honest DOJ take a long hard look at Trump and the the GOP's crimes.

Unless Trump tries to pull some serious sh**t between now and inauguration day, I doubt they will and for the same reason the Obama Administration didn't take a hard look into the possible illegalities of the Bush Administration. Our best hope is that the South District of New York has something on Trump that sticks and brings him down.

Comparing what Trump is doing to anything Bush is doing shows even Dems see this as acceptable and normal--nothing Bush did even remotely compares to Trump trying to undermine the election and incite violence in order to stay in power.

And Trump is already pulling quite a lot of sh**t if you haven't already noticed.

I should've elaborated further and said if any of it gains serious traction, but no means do I see this acceptable or normal. I also don't think Bush's potential crimes compare to what Trump has done, I just said a Biden justice department won't pursue them for the same reason Obama's didn't pursue Bush's, for the reason of "we need to move on..."

SDNY is part of the DOJ.

The best hope is the Manhattan DA or NY Attorney General.  Both of which can prosecute Trump and which he can't insulate himself against with a pardon.

Thanks for the correction.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 09:42:23 PM »

I'm worried that he's crossed the Rubicon to set a new precedent that the presidential transition process can be messed with for political reasons, and that losers don't have to concede after the race is called. This is a big step towards an eventual coup in a future election.

Yes, when there is ever a future election as close as 2000 or even as close as 1960 or 1916, it's now clear that opposite party legislatures will try to flip state EC votes regardless of what the results show.  I am reasonably confident that SCOTUS would block it, but if the court is say 7/2 in favor of the side seeking to flip the EC in the legislatures, well IDK.

Plot twist: If Texas ever gets close enough to go to a recount in a presidential election, Democrats will almost surely have control of the state legislature when it happens.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 11:44:48 PM »

Stacey Abrams is a better comparison than Hitler LMAO. She has never concede, yawn, and who cares? Now, Trump, as President, has a more ways to make it difficult for Biden, but in the end Biden will take the office on January 20th 2021, and Trump's influence on transition process is marginal and mostly symbolic.

What consequences will it cause to Trump's power over the base and therefore GOP is the real question.

Abrams never:
-accused votes of being changed
-accused votes of being fake
-tried to have the legislature change the outcome (though in GA that wouldn't have gone anywhere)
-Claimed there was a "secret overseas server" showing she won in a landslide
-tried to block certification
-tried to have votes from entire counties thrown out
-made calls for violence, telling armed supporters to "take back" the state

And most importantly, she wasn't an incumbent who lost and was using her position and political appointments she made to try and undermine or change the outcome.

That you find a literal coup attempt by somebody in power to be equal to somebody who has no sway over the outcome rightfully pointing out that registered voters were removed from registration without their knowledge tells us all we need to know about the kind of troll you are.

The most accurate post I've read on Atlas in quite awhile.  Agree 100% with everything here.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 11:45:36 PM »

Stacey Abrams is a better comparison than Hitler LMAO. She has never concede, yawn, and who cares? Now, Trump, as President, has a more ways to make it difficult for Biden, but in the end Biden will take the office on January 20th 2021, and Trump's influence on transition process is marginal and mostly symbolic.

What consequences will it cause to Trump's power over the base and therefore GOP is the real question.

Abrams never:
-accused votes of being changed
-accused votes of being fake
-tried to have the legislature change the outcome (though in GA that wouldn't have gone anywhere)
-Claimed there was a "secret overseas server" showing she won in a landslide
-tried to block certification
-tried to have votes from entire counties thrown out
-made calls for violence, telling armed supporters to "take back" the state

And most importantly, she wasn't an incumbent who lost and was using her position and political appointments she made to try and undermine or change the outcome.

That you find a literal coup attempt by somebody in power to be equal to somebody who has no sway over the outcome rightfully pointing out that registered voters were removed from registration without their knowledge tells us all we need to know about the kind of troll you are.

Raging on Twitter, accusing this and that and exploring all the *legal* paths to find a way out is not a coup LOL. Not even close. Divisive and dirty? Well, it's a politic.

Has Trump done ANYTHING illegal that he'll be prosecuted on January 20th, when Biden become President? Nothing, huh? So, essentially he's not so different from Abrams. If you find anything, you think, he'll be prosecuted for, then we'll talk.

You're absurd.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »

I'm not worried about his coup.

I'm worried that he's crossed the Rubicon to set a new precedent that the presidential transition process can be messed with for political reasons, and that losers don't have to concede after the race is called. This is a big step towards an eventual coup in a future election.

Further, he's set the Republican Party up for a "stab in the back" myth that Biden is illegitimate, which will haunt the entire Biden presidency.

Was you worried when Democrats and "deep state" were undermining Trump questioning his legitimacy etc? A rhetorical question. Obviously, undermining Orange Baad is equal to save democracy, undermining Biden is a coup 🧐!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2020, 12:26:56 PM »

Further, he's set the Republican Party up for a "stab in the back" myth that Biden is illegitimate, which will haunt the entire Biden presidency.

Was you worried when Democrats and "deep state" were undermining Trump questioning his legitimacy etc? A rhetorical question. Obviously, undermining Orange Baad is equal to save democracy, undermining Biden is a coup 🧐!

Well technically, by "democracy" Hillary Clinton would have been in there, since she got more votes. Smiley
Motorcity

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2020, 12:32:54 PM »

I wouldn't call it a coup per se, because Trump has the legal right to file any dumbass lawsuit he wants. A coup is the illegal seizure of power and Trump hasn't done anything illegal yet.

He and the GOP are trying to exploit all the dumbass loopholes in the constitution and state laws to throw out ballots. Racist and morally wrong? Yes it is. But not illegal, remember our system of government is built around the idea of only keeping white male landowners voting.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »

This is a false equivalency and game playing with words in regards to different meanings of "legitimacy". People questioned Trump's legitimacy because he decisively lost the PV and was aided by a Russian misinformation campaign. The assertion was not that the count was inaccurate or that the election had been rigged. Both those doubts about Trump's legitimacy are facts whereas the election conspiracy theories now are made up out of thin air.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 02:05:02 PM »

This is a false equivalency and game playing with words in regards to different meanings of "legitimacy". People questioned Trump's legitimacy because he decisively lost the PV and was aided by a Russian misinformation campaign. The assertion was not that the count was inaccurate or that the election had been rigged. Both those doubts about Trump's legitimacy are facts whereas the election conspiracy theories now are made up out of thin air.

Firstly, Trump won fair and square in 2016, and claiming otherwise like Pelosi's "hijacked election" is indeed to spread a conspiracy theory. There's 👏 no 👏 evidence 👏 the 👏 election 👏 was 👏 hijacked 💃.

Secondly, I has never equivalised them. It's an asymmetrical "warfare". Democrats delegitimised Trump, and he'll "punch back ten times harder".
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »

Firstly, Trump won fair and square in 2016, and claiming otherwise like Pelosi's "hijacked election" is indeed to spread a conspiracy theory. There's 👏 no 👏 evidence 👏 the 👏 election 👏 was 👏 hijacked 💃.

Secondly, I has never equivalised them. It's an asymmetrical "warfare". Democrats delegitimised Trump, and he'll "punch back ten times harder".

Well again, Trump losing the PV and the Russians running a misinformation campaign in his favor are both established facts, the 2020 election being rigged against Trump is not. The former does not justify the latter allegations as you're trying to imply.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2020, 09:56:18 PM »

I Lived Through A Stupid Coup. America Is Having One Now

What is a coup? It’s literally a blow, a strike. Someone hitting your normal processes of government, trying to knock them over. The blow doesn’t have to succeed. It still wounds. In our case it was occupying Parliament without a majority. In yours it’s denying the President-Elect after an election. Whether it fails or not, deep structural damage is done. At the time, however, it just feels dumb.

Frankly, I expected more epaulets and tanks, but this is all you get. A bunch of dumbasses throwing chili powder. Someone at Four Seasons Total Landscaping, next to a dildo shop. What a ****ing stupid century. This is what our coups look like.

This year America had fascism on the ballot and nonwhite people mercifully said no. The fascists, however, are now saying **** ballots. And enough of the population is like **** yeah!

This is a major problem, and it won’t just go away on a technicality. I’m telling you, as someone that’s been there, you’ve already lost. It doesn’t matter if you get Trump out. He and the Republican Party are destroying trust in elections in general. This is catastrophic. You have no idea.

There’s a ticking bomb at the heart of your democracy now. Your government, the very idea of governance is fatally wounded. Chaos has been planted at its heart. I don’t know what this chaos will grow into, but I can promise you this. It won’t be good.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2020, 11:52:15 PM »

What is a coup? It’s literally a blow, a strike. Someone hitting your normal processes of government, trying to knock them over. The blow doesn’t have to succeed. It still wounds. In our case it was occupying Parliament without a majority. In yours it’s denying the President-Elect after an election. Whether it fails or not, deep structural damage is done. At the time, however, it just feels dumb.

Frankly, I expected more epaulets and tanks, but this is all you get. A bunch of dumbasses throwing chili powder. Someone at Four Seasons Total Landscaping, next to a dildo shop. What a ****ing stupid century. This is what our coups look like.

This year America had fascism on the ballot and nonwhite people mercifully said no. The fascists, however, are now saying **** ballots. And enough of the population is like **** yeah!

This is a major problem, and it won’t just go away on a technicality. I’m telling you, as someone that’s been there, you’ve already lost. It doesn’t matter if you get Trump out. He and the Republican Party are destroying trust in elections in general. This is catastrophic. You have no idea.

There’s a ticking bomb at the heart of your democracy now. Your government, the very idea of governance is fatally wounded. Chaos has been planted at its heart. I don’t know what this chaos will grow into, but I can promise you this. It won’t be good.

An.... interesting take I suppose. Comparing the US to Sri Lanka is a laughable false equivalence. The author seems to be a raging SJW weirdo. However the point that chaos has been planted at the heart of our Democratic process is true. We may be, frankly, better than Sri Lanka as far as our civic society goes and in regards to our civil traditions but we are still mortal human beings and so many people on the other side have been lead into a very, very dark place.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2020, 12:15:32 AM »

Jeanine Áñez sends her regards.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2020, 05:40:11 AM »

How is it not a coup attempt? He's explicitly asking the GOP legislatures to overturn the election results.

The fact that yes, it's obviously a bumbling attempt doesn't change that he's blatantly trying to steal a presidential election.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2020, 06:19:25 AM »

It is most definitely a could attempt and we should consider ourselves lucky that...

1) The Trump people are incredibly incompetent.

2) That the result do not just hinge on one or two super close states, in which case they would almost certainly find a way to steal this election.

While the system probably holds this time around, this attempted coup has exposed a number of very serious flaws in the system. If one party (you know which one) is determined to steal elections they WILL succeed in the near future unless something is done.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2020, 07:29:57 PM »

It is most definitely a could attempt and we should consider ourselves lucky that...

1) The Trump people are incredibly incompetent.

2) That the result do not just hinge on one or two super close states, in which case they would almost certainly find a way to steal this election.

While the system probably holds this time around, this attempted coup has exposed a number of very serious flaws in the system. If one party (you know which one) is determined to steal elections they WILL succeed in the near future unless something is done.

Sadly nothing can be done if Democrats don't have a trifecta. A good start would be admitting DC and Puerto Rico as states.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2020, 08:08:07 PM »

God, this is so poorly written. Could have made the same point in a single paragraph.

When the hell did people forget that essays are supposed to have a different cadence from spoken word?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies