Republicans, are you willing to admit you poisoned the well?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:05:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans, are you willing to admit you poisoned the well?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans, are you willing to admit you poisoned the well?  (Read 1270 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »

As the Democrats did in 2009, you control the presidency and both houses of congress.

And now, just as you did to Obama, the Democrats will reflexively and even mindlessly oppose and obstruct every single thing you try to do.

And you have a smaller Senate majority and a president who a majority of the country already dislikes.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:03:30 PM »

Republicans: Something something Democrats/Clinton, something something Biden Rule
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:09:45 PM »

It's true. Look what happened after the 1920s. We can be nasty, lose a couple of cycles, and when you screw up, there will be this giant narrative that has built over 6-10 years that people will then be ready listen to.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 07:30:44 PM »

Someone forgot to tell Senate Dems they're "reflexively" or "mindlessly" opposing anything Trump does, as they've all but guaranteed they'll support his infrastructure ideas and restricting free trade.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 07:34:23 PM »

Someone forgot to tell Senate Dems they're "reflexively" or "mindlessly" opposing anything Trump does, as they've all but guaranteed they'll support his infrastructure ideas and restricting free trade.

Democratic party is occupied by warmongering corporate scumbags like Schumer.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:49:11 PM »

Will you change your avatar back to orange when the Republicans lose again?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 08:00:45 PM »

Fair-weather Republican if ever I've seen one.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »

I don't like Trump's personality or his morals and I really dislike all the negative things he's said and done, and he is not the type of person I would EVER call friend, and I am concerned with all the people he is surrounding himself with in his administration.....

Until he actually starts doing awful things as President, until he actually helps to give his billionaire buddies benefits over the rest of us, until he actually guts Planned Parenthood and repeals the ACA leaving millions stranded without healthcare, and until a bunch of other "until's" go by, in my mind I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I HOPE he does some good things for everyone. I'm not going to get all worked up about what MIGHT happen. I'm waiting for actual events to get all worked up about. Wink

Republicans poison the well as much as Democrats do, that's why each party needs the balancing act of the other party to be in power until they screw up, then the other party ascends to power until they screw up. It's how it's always been. It's the pendulum swinging in sure manner, for eternity.

I wouldn't single out any one party as poisoning the well.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:26:23 PM »

The wheel always comes full circle.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:56:57 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2017, 11:12:04 PM by Lincoln Republican »

In answer to your obviously weighted hack original question, no.

The tide goes out, the tide comes back in.

We all know politics goes in cycles.

Really, Democrats, cry me a river.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »

Democrats pretty much obstructed everything bush wanted to do in his 2nd term
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 06:07:27 AM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 06:27:45 AM »

I know it's fashionable to say, ah well both parties so it so it isn't important. True to an extent, but I'd be very surprised if Democrats threaten to force a default on the national debt and destroy global capitalism like the republicans did multiple times.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 06:40:40 AM »

Its just that Obama was less acceptable than Bill to half the country the same way Trump was less acceptable to W, who was less acceptable to Reagan, and Reagan was supposed to be unacceptable. Who will be that much less acceptable than Obama or Trump? The dam will break, I just don't want my leaders to be the ones who have to "buy" it.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 09:22:19 AM »

Democrats pretty much obstructed everything bush wanted to do in his 2nd term

Give some examples.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »

We will certainly obstruct any travel down the totalitarian road -- like establishing a new secret police or sponsorship of politicized youth groups.

The alternative to our opposition is either the crushing of freedom in America, in which case the only difference between American and Chinese politics is who the icons of the system are, and in which tests of personal loyalty are the difference between survival and death... or an underground of Marxist terrorists.   
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 11:18:58 AM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »

The Republicans didn't have the power to obstruct anything until the country put them in power as a check to the Democrats.

The public didn't do that to the Democrats, this time. They'll have another chance in 2018.

Also, many of the escalations were started by Democrats. They used reconciliation to pass a massive game-changing piece of legislation. They changed the filibuster rules to force nominees through. At one point the President actually tried to unilaterally put Congress in recess so he could abuse recess appointments.

Escalation has been going on for a while, and what goes around comes around. Have fun.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 01:14:56 PM »

Social Security, Immigration , Making Tax Cuts Permanent, Reforming Freddie Mac and Fannie May
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »

Social Security, Immigration , Making Tax Cuts Permanent, Reforming Freddie Mac and Fannie May
Half of those things didn't happen because no one could agree or only the center could. Member Go8?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »

Look, your party lost the election because it nominated a godawful candidate. There's nothing you can really do about it. I'm just annoyed that some people (who were hilariously wrong last year) are already making smug overconfident predictions about 2018 and 2020 ("Trump will definitely be the next Carter because reasons!!!1", "2018 and 2020 will be Democratic landslides, Republicans will never win another presidential election again!1"). Of course same goes for the other side as well, but on this forum it's mostly Democrats like Indy Texas who are like that. So instead of trashing voters in red states and whining about Russia and evil Republicans, you should learn your lessons from this election.
I was making a joke about your avatar change. I'm not a Democrat. I have no lesson to learn. If you look at my ridiculous posts in the 2020 prediction thread, you'll see I vacillate between Trump being an unstoppable, beautiful God Emperor and Democrats winning in an orgasmic landslide.

Don't take what I say too seriously.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »

The Republicans didn't have the power to obstruct anything until the country put them in power as a check to the Democrats.

The public didn't do that to the Democrats, this time. They'll have another chance in 2018.

Also, many of the escalations were started by Democrats. They used reconciliation to pass a massive game-changing piece of legislation. They changed the filibuster rules to force nominees through. At one point the President actually tried to unilaterally put Congress in recess so he could abuse recess appointments.

Escalation has been going on for a while, and what goes around comes around. Have fun.

Literally all of those things were in response to rampant Republican obstructionism in the form of unprecedented abuse of the fillibuster and the holding of fake sessions when the entire Senate was out of town.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 03:58:42 PM »

Social Security privatization is insane and dangerous, immigration reform was opposed by some the left (eg sanders) and many republicans the right, the bush tax cuts were stupid and didn't work, and the Mac/May reform failed in a republican controlled congress. A mixtute of absurd proposals and republicans not wanting to go along.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 06:48:15 PM »

I was making a joke about your avatar change. I'm not a Democrat. I have no lesson to learn. If you look at my ridiculous posts in the 2020 prediction thread, you'll see I vacillate between Trump being an unstoppable, beautiful God Emperor and Democrats winning in an orgasmic landslide.

Don't take what I say too seriously.

No worries, we're fine. Wink I should probably put the 2020 board on ignore, LOL.

It's not going to be worth looking at until late 2019, so it's probably for the best.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies