Jared Kushner's Rise to Unimaginable Power
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:09:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jared Kushner's Rise to Unimaginable Power
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jared Kushner's Rise to Unimaginable Power  (Read 903 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:09:46 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/jared-kushner-trump-administration-power.html
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »

Is it true that this clown had such bad grades when in school that he wasn't accepted by any mjor university until his parents made a huge donation to a top school (I can't remember what school he went to and I'm on a mobile device and I'm not going to waste any battery googling him).
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:36:04 PM »

From Wikipedia

According to journalist Daniel Golden, Kushner and his brother Joshua were admitted to Harvard after their father had made a $2.5 million donation to the university.

In 2003, Kushner graduated cum laude from Harvard College with an B.A. in sociology.

In 2007, Kushner graduated from New York University where he earned a J.D. and M.B.A.; his father had previously made a $3 million donation to NYU in 2001.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 07:45:48 PM »

Kushner is a Democrat so I'm slightly ok with this

The way I understand it

he was a Democrat

he is now a Republican
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »

The way I understand it

he was a Democrat

he is now a Republican

He's basically a con artist like his own father and his father in law Trump. That seems to be the people he attracts. This idea that he is some ideological Republican like say Ted Cruz is false...he's whatever he has to be to claw his way to the top.

With that said, he's at the very least a moderating influence on Trump and from what I've read Trump trusts Kushner more than any other person.
Nobody said that. If you live in NYC, there are some advantages to being registered as a Democrat even if you are not ideologically compatible with the activist wing of the party.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »

I am concerned with so many billionaires in political power now. Jared included.

Let's see if they only care about their rich buddies or if they are truly going to get positive things accomplished that benefit the Average American citizen and others less fortunate.

Gutting planned parenthood is not getting off to a very good start since it's the less financially able that it benefits.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »

Kushner is Jewish. As a jew, that negates some of my fear about Bannon.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:01:14 PM »

FWIW, Bannon was apparently the pick for CoS before Kushner persuaded Trump otherwise
Fusionmunster

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:12:31 PM »

FWIW, Bannon was apparently the pick for CoS before Kushner persuaded Trump otherwise

Thats very good to hear. More reason not to oppose Kushner.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

The way I understand it

he was a Democrat

he is now a Republican

Even if he was, he was probably one of those awful "socially liberal by fiscally conservative" West Ukrainian Democrats who only hold progressive social views for the wrong reasons,  ie to show how much more enlightened he is than those stupid hicks in flyover country.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 09:44:46 PM »

It's like the fate of the whole world is in the hands of Kushner and Ivanka.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »

From Wikipedia

According to journalist Daniel Golden, Kushner and his brother Joshua were admitted to Harvard after their father had made a $2.5 million donation to the university.

In 2003, Kushner graduated cum laude from Harvard College with an B.A. in sociology.

In 2007, Kushner graduated from New York University where he earned a J.D. and M.B.A.; his father had previously made a $3 million donation to NYU in 2001.

Thanks.  This is what I was looking for.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »

Jared Kushner was a person supportive of Mitt Romney, James Mattis, and Michelle Rhee. His political ideology is unknown but appears to be moderate - somewhere along the lines of Mattie and Zinke.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 11:37:04 PM »

Jared Kushner was a person supportive of Mitt Romney, James Mattis, and Michelle Rhee. His political ideology is unknown but appears to be moderate - somewhere along the lines of Mattie and Zinke.

If he was supportive of Mitt Romney, it is too bad he was not influential enough with Trump to appoint Romney as Secretary of State.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 11:43:50 PM »

If he was supportive of Mitt Romney, it is too bad he was not influential enough with Trump to appoint Romney as Secretary of State.

Why would Romney want to be a SoS to Trump? To be continuously undermined and forced to conduct foreign policy he considers insane?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 11:58:08 PM »

In all seriousness, is there a huge difference between Rhee and DeVos on charter policy? Or would both be equally controversial with teacher unions
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 12:00:29 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 12:11:00 AM by Tintrlvr »

Rhee and Mattis are not exactly moderates in their respective fields of expertise.

In all seriousness, is there a huge difference between Rhee and DeVos on charter policy? Or would both be equally controversial with teacher unions

There isn't much difference. DeVos was a big donor to Rhee's school initiatives, and ideologically they are basically the same on education, with the only significant exception I can see that DeVos has in the past been more focused on promoting religious private education, which Rhee doesn't care about. Choosing Rhee would have been smart politically because Rhee is connected to a number of high-profile Democrats (and also a registered Democrat herself) and thus difficult to oppose, but her positions on charter schools, teachers' unions, standardized testing, etc. are quite on the extreme of even the school reform movement. In any case, I doubt the Democrats want to burn political capital fighting about the education secretary when the alternatives are not much better anyway.

Obviously both would be hated by teachers' unions, but that's true of any hypothetical appointment by any Republican president at this point. Rhee would probably have incited even more vitriol because she is a more known figure in education circles, while DeVos has in the past mostly been a behind-the-scenes actor. The real question should be how the potential choices are received by school reform moderates, who dislike the unions but also dislike the extremism of Rhee and DeVos.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 03:27:00 AM »

Rhee and Mattis are not exactly moderates in their respective fields of expertise.

There isn't much difference. DeVos was a big donor to Rhee's school initiatives, and ideologically they are basically the same on education, with the only significant exception I can see that DeVos has in the past been more focused on promoting religious private education, which Rhee doesn't care about. Choosing Rhee would have been smart politically because Rhee is connected to a number of high-profile Democrats (and also a registered Democrat herself) and thus difficult to oppose, but her positions on charter schools, teachers' unions, standardized testing, etc. are quite on the extreme of even the school reform movement. In any case, I doubt the Democrats want to burn political capital fighting about the education secretary when the alternatives are not much better anyway.

Obviously both would be hated by teachers' unions, but that's true of any hypothetical appointment by any Republican president at this point. Rhee would probably have incited even more vitriol because she is a more known figure in education circles, while DeVos has in the past mostly been a behind-the-scenes actor. The real question should be how the potential choices are received by school reform moderates, who dislike the unions but also dislike the extremism of Rhee and DeVos.

Hmmm that's interesting.  I didn't know that about Rhee.  Why didn't he pick her then to look bi-partisan (lol)?
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 04:06:53 AM »

Kushner is a massive FF, like his wife Ivanka. I don't agree with everything both believe in politically but I agree on enough with both to trust them to be competent advisers who will provide needed guidance to our new president.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 04:08:51 AM »

Trump clearly favors Jared Kushner because he gets what Trump always wanted but can never have...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 04:52:53 AM »

And yet the Chamber of Secrets will nonetheless remain in the House of Slytherin, correct?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 08:53:59 AM »

Hmmm that's interesting.  I didn't know that about Rhee.  Why didn't he pick her then to look bi-partisan (lol)?

I've been assuming DeVos was a Pence pick.

That's a more comforting scenario, than "he wanted to make nice to the guy with the private army".
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »

Kushner is a massive FF, like his wife Ivanka. I don't agree with everything both believe in politically but I agree on enough with both to trust them to be competent advisers who will provide needed guidance to our new president.
This. It is very comforting to have Kushner as Trump's main adviser.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »

I've been assuming DeVos was a Pence pick.

That's a more comforting scenario, than "he wanted to make nice to the guy with the private army".

Rhee and Moskovitz were the first choices, as I understand, but both turned him down. Then I think Pence suggested DeVos.

At least that's what I've come to understand
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 12:36:04 PM »

From Wikipedia

You can spin it nicely. "I've brough money to Harvard".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies