Trump Cabinet confirmation hearings **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:46:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump Cabinet confirmation hearings **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 73
Author Topic: Trump Cabinet confirmation hearings **live commentary thread**  (Read 128714 times)
Klartext89

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: February 01, 2017, 05:08:16 PM »

Would be more damaging for GOP Senators regarding their re-election chances to vote against Trump then to support his nominees.

These liberals and far-left activists opposing DeVos will never vote for a GOP Senators regardless of his vote on her confirmation. Way easier to lose support from the GOP base than gaining support from Dems.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #351 on: February 01, 2017, 05:13:51 PM »

Would be more damaging for GOP Senators regarding their re-election chances to vote against Trump then to support his nominees.

These liberals and far-left activists opposing DeVos will never vote for a GOP Senators regardless of his vote on her confirmation. Way easier to lose support from the GOP base than gaining support from Dems.

Doesn't explain why someone like Murkowski is voting nay- she said it's because of phone calls/letters. There's hardly a devout far left base in Alaska is there...
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #352 on: February 01, 2017, 05:16:47 PM »

Take with a grain of salt, but I've seen a few tweets saying Toomey is on the fence about Devos. Any word if he's officially come out as a yes?
Klartext89

« Reply #353 on: February 01, 2017, 05:19:12 PM »

Doesn't explain why someone like Murkowski is voting nay- she said it's because of phone calls/letters. There's hardly a devout far left base in Alaska is there...

I doubt that it came from Alaska exclusivly. In my eyes, these are just weasel words.

What amuses me is that two Republican women are trying to bring down a female nominee (after we heard that Trump nominated not enough women).

Btw, I'm watching the Senate Session. It's boring... Now Pocahontas is yelling lol.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #354 on: February 01, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »

I doubt that it came from Alaska exclusivly. In my eyes, these are just weasel words.

What amuses me is that two Republican women are trying to bring down a female nominee (after we heard that Trump nominated not enough women).

I don't want to interrupt your shameless hackery but staffers tend to ask where callers are from/monitor calls so they know if it's an in state person or not.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #355 on: February 01, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »

Are people really that surprised about Warner? He's always struck me as one of the more conservative Democrats in the Senate, and definitely to the right of Kaine.
Klartext89

« Reply #356 on: February 01, 2017, 05:33:09 PM »

I don't want to interrupt your shameless hackery but staffers tend to ask where callers are from/monitor calls so they know if it's an in state person or not.

LOL, I'm not a computer expert, but I know that it's possible to change the location ;-) Whatever.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #357 on: February 01, 2017, 05:42:37 PM »

I imagine the 'gop base' don't really give a crap about DeVos either way.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #358 on: February 01, 2017, 05:51:07 PM »

Heller is supporting DeVos.

http://www.heller.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=pressreleases&id=EF101523-5C29-499D-A821-2ACA0F4162E5
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #359 on: February 01, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »

Sen. Moran of Kansas says he's undecided on Betsy DeClown

Surprised he of all people would not be an easy yes
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2017, 06:01:54 PM »

I bet a few Democrats will vote for her.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #361 on: February 01, 2017, 06:01:57 PM »

Considering how ravaged Kansas schools have been by Brownback, education woes might be a more salient concern of his.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #362 on: February 01, 2017, 06:10:10 PM »

Moran has always been pretty indecisive, and frequently waits until the last minute to commit to anything.  E.g., last year he was wobbly on whether the Senate should hold hearings for Merrick Garland.  And he was pretty late in endorsing Trump for president (then waffled on it some more, even after he endorsed him).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #363 on: February 01, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »

Until I have good reason to believe otherwise, I'm going to guess that any Republicans (other than Collins and Murkowski) who claim to be "on the fence" about DePlagiarist are, in the end, going to be good little minions and vote for her. They're probably just saying that they're undecided to make it look like they care about such trivial things as knowledge, experience, and qualifications.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #364 on: February 01, 2017, 07:44:34 PM »

If DeVos gets voted down, that would be the first good news since the departure from the TPP.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #365 on: February 01, 2017, 10:13:26 PM »

Until I have good reason to believe otherwise, I'm going to guess that any Republicans (other than Collins and Murkowski) who claim to be "on the fence" about DePlagiarist are, in the end, going to be good little minions and vote for her. They're probably just saying that they're undecided to make it look like they care about such trivial things as knowledge, experience, and qualifications.

Corbyn said DeVos will have the votes

Collins is full of sh**t too...she could of stopped DeVos but voted YES in the committee then voted NO in the Senate

What a joke

Her office probably got a lot of calls from concerned voters.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #366 on: February 02, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »

Deb Fischer confirmed she will vote for DeVos. Looks like Pence is going to break the tie.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #367 on: February 02, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »

Deb Fischer confirmed she will vote for DeVos. Looks like Pence is going to break the tie.

Is the vote scheduled yet?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #368 on: February 02, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »

Is the vote scheduled yet?

Cloture vote Friday (only needs 51 votes), Final vote Monday
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #369 on: February 02, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »

Sessions just advanced in the senate, 53-45.  Dems were unified against him, with the exception of Manchin the DINO.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #370 on: February 02, 2017, 04:26:47 PM »

Sessions just advanced in the senate, 53-45.  Dems were unified against him, with the exception of Manchin the DINO.

Wait does that mean that Sessions was confirmed?  If so, can he vote for DeVos?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #371 on: February 02, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »

Wait does that mean that Sessions was confirmed?  If so, can he vote for DeVos?

No, they're waiting to officially confirm him until after the DeVos vote.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #372 on: February 02, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »

If Manchin is such a DINO and a Republican at heart, why is McConnell pulling out all the stops to win his Senate seat?

is there any precedent for someone like mcconnell turning a blind eye to a true moderate?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #373 on: February 02, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/317629-trump-taps-first-woman-to-cia-second-in-command
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #374 on: February 02, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2017, 04:52:44 PM by Ronnie »

Price and Mnuchin advance 51-48
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies