Trump Cabinet confirmation hearings **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:04:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump Cabinet confirmation hearings **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 73
Author Topic: Trump Cabinet confirmation hearings **live commentary thread**  (Read 128534 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: February 13, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »

Shulkin confirmed 100-0. Even Gillibrand voted for this one.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #601 on: February 13, 2017, 07:54:38 PM »

I understand the opposition to Puzder but are democrats willing to have Scott Walker as the next Secretary of Labor just so they can claim a scalp?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #602 on: February 13, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »

Senate adjourned for the night. Tomorrow will begin with the final vote on the nomination of Linda McMahon to be the administrator of the small business administration, preceded by limited debate of said nomination.  Debate on other nominees may follow.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #603 on: February 13, 2017, 10:42:45 PM »

Looks like Manchin needs a primary challenger! Smiley
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #604 on: February 13, 2017, 11:26:44 PM »

I understand the opposition to Puzder but are democrats willing to have Scott Walker as the next Secretary of Labor just so they can claim a scalp?

I think both are equally bad - Walker knows the walk about, but Puzder strikes me as a generally crueler human being and more willing to completely savage the department.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #605 on: February 13, 2017, 11:29:06 PM »

Senate adjourned for the night. Tomorrow will begin with the final vote on the nomination of Linda McMahon to be the administrator of the small business administration, preceded by limited debate of said nomination.  Debate on other nominees may follow.

McMahon should face very little opposition.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #606 on: February 13, 2017, 11:31:41 PM »

In the end, odds are you end up with a Republican whose voting record you will come to dislike much more than Manchin's. If you want a more preferable WV Senator, go for 2020's race.

Take what you can get.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #607 on: February 13, 2017, 11:33:31 PM »

Lol sure, go ahead and primary Manchin. A Democrat in West Virginia. See what happens.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #608 on: February 14, 2017, 09:21:56 AM »

Is Manchild an idiot? I can understand voting for Sessions in West Virginia, but some Wall Street slime creature?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #609 on: February 14, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »

Lol sure, go ahead and primary Manchin. A Democrat in West Virginia. See what happens.

This. There are much bigger fish to fry than jeopardizing the balance of power in the Senate because Manchin voted for Trump's cabinet nominees. Take out Flake and Heller while protecting the vulnerable Democrats first.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #610 on: February 14, 2017, 11:05:48 AM »

This. There are much bigger fish to fry than jeopardizing the balance of power in the Senate because Manchin voted for Trump's cabinet nominees. Take out Flake and Heller while protecting the vulnerable Democrats first.

You don't win if you don't try you guys. Plus he already voted for Sessions and Munuchin so he already made his bed.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #611 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »

You don't win if you don't try you guys. Plus he already voted for Sessions and Munuchin so he already made his bed.

Yes, and maybe that is a fine attitude to take in states that are more competitive, but this is West Virginia. Democrats are rapidly going extinct there. The outcome of what you're saying is highly likely to be the opposite of what you want.

Honestly I don't get why you (and so many others) still propose these kinds of actions given the very obvious parallels to the chaos on the GOP side. They cost themselves a number of important races over the years because they had to have someone more pure and more willing to oppose Obama. It's ridiculous.

If you guys aren't willing to allow the Democratic Party to have a share of moderates/centrists then I'm unsure how you expect a broad governing coalition to form. It can't be all liberals. America is not that liberal. Give Manchin some breathing room.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #612 on: February 14, 2017, 11:34:22 AM »

McMahon confirmed 81-19.

I support primarying Manchin with a Tester or Casey type. I would endorse such candidate in the general.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #613 on: February 14, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »

Manchin is voting for Trump's cabinet nominees to inoculate himself. I'm a little surprised that Donnelly, Heitkamp, and others aren't. The Trump Resistance is much weaker if they lose re-election. The long term game requires that we have to be strategic in the first two years against King Donald I.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #614 on: February 14, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »

If you want to primary Democrats look to Delaware. That would be the first place to start.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #615 on: February 14, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »

If you want to primary Democrats look to Delaware. That would be the first place to start.

Carper looks like a leftist hack when compared to what Manchin has done in the last month.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #616 on: February 14, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »

Are their any other floor votes expected to occur this week?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #617 on: February 14, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »

Manchin took the lead on universal background checks after Sandy Hook and he's a Senator from West Virginia, I care more about that then I do about whether he votes with us on something that we have no chance of winning anyway.  Manchin does what he can when he can and if you don't see how his situation is different than someone like Lieberman, I really don't know what to say except that the world is a far more complicated place than you think.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #618 on: February 14, 2017, 01:19:56 PM »

You Manchin haters do realize that he's voting exactly the way that appeases the  majority of his constituents, right?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #619 on: February 14, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »

You Manchin haters do realize that he's voting exactly the way that appeases the  majority of his constituents, right?
How does voting for a former Goldman Sachs executive accomplish this?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #620 on: February 14, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »

Dude I don't know, but do you really think he wants to commit political suicide by voting for cabinet picks his voters all hate?  Sure he may make a principled stand and vote his own way once or twice but not on all the picks.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #621 on: February 14, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »

McConnell filed cloture motions on Ross, Carson, Perry, Zinke, Pruitt, and Mulvaney last night, but all that means is he filed his intent to end debate on those nominees and vote on them. No idea when we'll get formal votes to end debate and formal votes to confirm.

You can follow the senate floor monitor twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/senategopfloor

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #622 on: February 14, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »

Dude I don't know, but do you really think he wants to commit political suicide by voting for cabinet picks his voters all hate?  Sure he may make a principled stand and vote his own way once or twice but not on all the picks.
I kinda doubt voting against the likes of Mnuchin would really hamstring his career. Manchin has been able to build his credibility on defying both parties and generally being a populist. How the hell is his challenger going to nail him to a wall for voting against some elitists?

And no, I'm not suggesting he should vote down everyone or even a majority, but at a certain point you have to do wonder how much this vote really matters.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #623 on: February 14, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »

McConnell filed cloture motions on Ross, Carson, Perry, Zinke, Pruitt, and Mulvaney last night, but all that means is he filed his intent to end debate on those nominees and vote on them. No idea when we'll get formal votes to end debate and formal votes to confirm.

You can follow the senate floor monitor twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/senategopfloor

And isn't the Senate in recess for all of next week?  I think anyone not confirmed this week has to wait until the week of Feb. 27th.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #624 on: February 14, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »

And isn't the Senate in recess for all of next week?  I think anyone not confirmed this week has to wait until the week of Feb. 27th.

Yes. You can see the calendar for the whole year here: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/resources/pdf/2017_calendar.pdf
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies