Kaiserreich: 1936 Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:44:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Kaiserreich: 1936 Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who Would you Vote For?
Charles Curtis/Alf Landon (Republican)

John Nance Garner/Al Smith (Democratic)

Huey Long/Charles Coughlin (America First)

Jack Reed/William Z. Foster (Syndicalist)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Kaiserreich: 1936 Election  (Read 5414 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:49:58 PM »
« edited: January 11, 2017, 01:22:00 PM by Devout Centrist »

The Election of 1936

Ever since America declined to become involved in the Great War/Weltkrieg, the nation has been viewed as a isolationist regional power by the rest of the world. Germany sucessfully overran France in 1919 and signed a harsh peace treaty with the Syndicalist sucessor government. Trade unions rose up in 1919 and overthrew the Third Republic, forcing them into exile in Africa. The UK signed a "peace with honor" agreement two years later and fell victim to Syndicalist revolution in 1925, forcing the Royal Family to flee to Canada.

The United States is now very isolationist and the Great Depression has morphed into a full blown economic catastrophe. Syndicalists have risen to become a force to be reckon with as they battle with Henry Ford and the authorities. Much of Detroit, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland is controlled by their party and their supporters regularly patrol the streets in the working class neighborhoods. Unlike marxists, they support democracy in the form of workers organized in trade unions, voting for leadership and making electoral decisions. In addition, they support measures seen as socially extremist, including homosexual rights and the liberation of women.

The America First Party, by contrast, has stolen almost all the South from the Democrats. Huey Long is their charismatic, albeit authoritarian leader, with Father Charles Coughlin raging about everyone from Jews to Syndicalists. They are the natural opposites of the Syndicalists, although they support measures such as the Share Our Wealth proposal, aimed at giving financial support to the working class, and infrastructure projects. However, they endorse social conservatism and view Syndicalists with hostility.

The Republicans narrowly won the 1932 election as the Syndicalists and America Firsters took millions of votes away from the Democratic Party. Hoover and Curtis were reelected and now Curtis, who suffered a heart attack earlier this year, is Hoover's chosen successor. Their party is weak and divided between social liberals and market liberals, both aiming to advance their agenda. While the market liberal faction has been crippled, the orthodox ideology of classical economics still influences many in the Party.

Having lost four consecutive elections, the Democrats veer on the edge of the abyss, with social conservatives fighting more liberal members in their Party, all while they bleed working class votes to the Syndicalists and Southern votes to the America Firsters.

Plagued by droughts, the prospect of famine, fear of another civil war, protectionism imposed by Germany across Europe and Africa, a terrible economy, and the possibility of a miltiary junta, this election will be a turning point for the nation, and one that may spell the end of the Republic. What will happen next?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:01:21 PM »

Syndicalist.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »

This honestly surprises me.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »

Which is the most German-friendly?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 11:17:22 PM »

Charles Curtis

Negotiation is for the best
Implement some of Reed's Reforms
Give Long What Assurances We Can
Agree with MacArthur, Assassinate Long.

Huey Long; nationalists and anti-Syndicalists tend to be pro-German.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 11:27:54 PM »

Charles Curtis

Negotiation is for the best
Implement some of Reed's Reforms
Give Long What Assurances We Can
Agree with MacArthur, Assassinate Long.

Huey Long; nationalists and anti-Syndicalists tend to be pro-German.
Hey now, don't give away the ending!

Plus Long survived in my playthrough.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 11:57:56 PM »

Long/Coughlin, though I prefer the Lindbergh faction.

(I played so much Kaiserreich in high school and the first half of college.)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:00:13 AM »

I just got into it with HOI4. I was pretty skeptical for a while, but it's actually great.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 12:02:27 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 12:04:53 AM by Intell »

Long.

He wasn't a reactionary on social issues, and he was the first one to help blacks in Louisiana, saying that the poor black man, is the same as the poor white man. He would only mildly and only by default support segregation ,as was the default position in the US at the time, especially in the north.

He certainly wouldn't have supported segregation nation-wide, and would've favoured policies that favoured poor blacks, like any poor person.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 12:25:56 AM »

Syndicalist and proud!
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »

Every Man a King!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 03:09:53 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 03:14:17 PM by DavidB. »

Most likely to allow an unlimited number of Jewish immigrants in, saving lives. Clearly the most important issue for me here.

Though in general I wouldn't mind the left in most countries until the 60s, for Jewish and nationalist reasons but also because I don't reject the idea of having a welfare state as long as it is not too large. Would have been a reliable Labour voter in the Netherlands in the 50s.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »

Most likely to allow an unlimited number of Jewish immigrants in, saving lives. And in general I wouldn't mind the left in most countries until the 60s.

The only explicitly anti-Semitic countries in Kaiserreich are National France, (Iron Guard) Romania, and the United States/Long. Jews in this timeline would not be immigranting to the country where Charles Coughlin's screeds are wildly popular, the economy is in the toilet, and riots are going on everywhere outside maybe California.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »

I just got into it with HOI4. I was pretty skeptical for a while, but it's actually great.

KR on HoI4? Heresy.

I would not vote and later escape to Canada-occupied New England.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 05:53:04 PM »

Wait hang on; there's Kaiserreich for HoI4?

I know what I'm doing for the next week!
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 07:14:38 PM »

Most likely to allow an unlimited number of Jewish immigrants in, saving lives. And in general I wouldn't mind the left in most countries until the 60s.

The only explicitly anti-Semitic countries in Kaiserreich are National France, (Iron Guard) Romania, and the United States/Long. Jews in this timeline would not be immigranting to the country where Charles Coughlin's screeds are wildly popular, the economy is in the toilet, and riots are going on everywhere outside maybe California.

Again you put Huey Long with Charles Coughlin, and Huey Long support Charles Coughlin before he turned into an awful anti-semite and fascist. Your idea of Huey Long being in favour of nation-wide segregation is wrong, neither would he campaign on an anti-Semitic platform.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 07:25:42 PM »

Again you put Huey Long with Charles Coughlin, and Huey Long support Charles Coughlin before he turned into an awful anti-semite and fascist. Your idea of Huey Long being in favour of nation-wide segregation is wrong, neither would he campaign on an anti-Semitic platform.
Yeah this was a serious mistake. Long was one of the most racially egalitarian Southern politicians in his time.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »

Wait hang on; there's Kaiserreich for HoI4?

I know what I'm doing for the next week!
Oh yeah. It's only in 0.2 Alpha, but almost all the event chains have been added successfully and it's a lot more fun with the national focuses.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »

We have a tie.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: