Next president not completing his term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:51:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Next president not completing his term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Next president not completing his term?  (Read 450 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »

I know, it’s hard to predict something like that – or the future in general – but what does your gut feeling say? From the 1840s to the 1970s, we had one accidental president at least each second decade. Since 1974, there has been no president being replaced by his VP during a term of office. The longest streak in American history since the period from 1789 to 1841.

I have a feeling the Trumpster won’t complete his term. He will be either directly impeached or resign in advance just like Nixon did. He has too many conflicts of interests and could fill his own pockets while in office. Not to mention his apparent inability to govern (yes, he’s still not in office, but some of his actions suggest that). If the public then turns heavily against the president, congressional GOPers will drop him quickly and go with Pence, who they like much better. That’s no prediction and has nothing to do with my natural dislike for Trump, just a feeling that he’ll be gone by 2019 at latest (maybe way sooner) and we’ll end up with President Pence; at least for the remainder of this term.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:49:46 AM »

I agree. I also think Pence will be a better President than many would expect (I don't care for his politics personally but he seems likely to take the job and duties seriously)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

I agree. I also think Pence will be a better President than many would expect (I don't care for his politics personally but he seems likely to take the job and duties seriously)

I agree that he has the ability to govern, no matter of his political positions (which I don’t support). And he takes the job seriously; Pence took all intelligence briefings since Nov. 9, unlike the Trumpster.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 11:02:16 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 11:09:26 AM by Special Boy »

I know, it’s hard to predict something like that – or the future in general – but what does your gut feeling say? From the 1840s to the 1970s, we had one accidental president at least each second decade. Since 1974, there has been no president being replaced by his VP during a term of office. The longest streak in American history since the period from 1789 to 1841.

I have a feeling the Trumpster won’t complete his term. He will be either directly impeached or resign in advance just like Nixon did. He has too many conflicts of interests and could fill his own pockets while in office. Not to mention his apparent inability to govern (yes, he’s still not in office, but some of his actions suggest that). If the public then turns heavily against the president, congressional GOPers will drop him quickly and go with Pence, who they like much better. That’s no prediction and has nothing to do with my natural dislike for Trump, just a feeling that he’ll be gone by 2019 at latest (maybe way sooner) and we’ll end up with President Pence; at least for the remainder of this term.

To break the record, Trump would only need to be a complete 2 term president. We haven't had four straight reelecteds in a row before.

Between it just being "time" for something to go wrong and the fact that it is astonishing nothing has and whom Trump is...something just has to give.

I agree that he has the ability to govern, no matter of his political positions (which I don’t support). And he takes the job seriously; Pence took all intelligence briefings since Nov. 9, unlike the Trumpster.

I don't see him being a very capable President. He was a B student like the rest of us and a career politician in a very friendly state. Pence is pretty much a younger, less reasonable, and more technocratic Joe Biden. I don't think he will be incompetent and see him as a potential Anti-Ford. That is, someone who is ideological instead of pragmatic but is also a 4 5, or 5.5 *tops* placeholder.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »

Between his age and health, disinterest in the actual work of the job (he loves the perks), thin skin, enormous ego, compulsion to be a weasel, and gross incompetence as an executive, I think that it's likely he won't complete his term.

Whether it is more likely that he dies, resigns, is impeached or deposed I don't know.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 12:10:30 PM »

Between his age and health, disinterest in the actual work of the job (he loves the perks), thin skin, enormous ego, compulsion to be a weasel, and gross incompetence as an executive, I think that it's likely he won't complete his term.

Whether it is more likely that he dies, resigns, is impeached or deposed I don't know.

Keep in mind ex-Presidents get a lot of perks, too.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 02:55:46 PM »

You're talking about a man that never quits or loses. He would never resign at the very least. There will be hell to pay for the GOP if they remove him.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »

You're talking about a man that never quits or loses.

But he might win so much that he gets sick of winning.

He would never resign at the very least. There will be hell to pay for the GOP if they remove him.

Depends on how bad he is. If there's, say, 90% public support for impeachment I'm sure they'll comply.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 04:02:21 PM »

You're talking about a man that never quits or loses.

But he might win so much that he gets sick of winning.

He would never resign at the very least. There will be hell to pay for the GOP if they remove him.

Depends on how bad he is. If there's, say, 90% public support for impeachment I'm sure they'll comply.

I think to it is not to say he can't finish his term its just that he will do anything to stay.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 05:36:36 PM »

You're talking about a man that never quits or loses. He would never resign at the very least. There will be hell to pay for the GOP if they remove him.

You're talking about a fictional TV character.

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »

You're talking about a fictional TV character.

Who is now President of the United States. He's shown no signs of shedding that persona.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies