Differences between Democratic voting bases in CA and MA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:40:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Differences between Democratic voting bases in CA and MA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Differences between Democratic voting bases in CA and MA  (Read 1536 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:35:58 AM »
« edited: January 11, 2017, 04:10:03 AM by ERM64man »

What is the reason Bernie Sanders easily won the primary in Northampton and Amherst MA, but lost Hacienda Heights, CA; and Long Beach, CA was very competitive? Sanders won MA-2 but lost CA-47 and CA-39.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 04:00:53 AM »

What is the reason Bernie Sanders easily won the primary in Northampton and Amherst MA, but lost Hacienda Heights, CA; and Long Beach, CA was very competitive?

In California, I think the primary may have split more on income than race. Bernie won the most diverse city in America, Oakland, but badly lost the rich mostly white city of Piedmont that it surrounds.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:02:48 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2017, 04:04:42 AM by ERM64man »

What is the reason Bernie Sanders easily won the primary in Northampton and Amherst MA, but lost Hacienda Heights, CA; and Long Beach, CA was very competitive?

In California, I think the primary may have split more on income than race. Bernie won the most diverse city in America, Oakland, but badly lost the rich mostly white city of Piedmont that it surrounds.
Was it a close race in Oakland?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 04:03:16 AM »

Was it a close race in Oakland?

Yes, but Bernie did win it.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 04:03:59 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2017, 04:16:01 AM by ERM64man »

Why was MA-2 an easy win for Sanders but CA-39 and CA-47 were losses for him?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »

I'm confused. What is the rationale for making a comparison between those districts?

MA-2 is not affluent, not diverse, is close to Vermont, and includes some very white liberal centers in the Five Colleges area. It is mostly rural and small-town other than the city of Worcester. I don't see any kinship with either of the CA districts you mention—which are also not very similar to each other.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2017, 02:47:57 PM by ERM64man »

I'm confused. What is the rationale for making a comparison between those districts?

MA-2 is not affluent, not diverse, is close to Vermont, and includes some very white liberal centers in the Five Colleges area. It is mostly rural and small-town other than the city of Worcester. I don't see any kinship with either of the CA districts you mention—which are also not very similar to each other.
Difference in demographics between the Democratic voting base in those two states. Clinton beat Sanders in both of those CA districts. Why did the Five Colleges area vote to legalize marijuana while Hacienda Heights (in CA-39) and Garden Grove (partially in CA-47) overwhelmingly voted against it? CA-47 and CA-39 both voted for the establishment candidate in the primary, that is one thing they have in common; MA-2, however, voted differently.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 06:32:57 AM »

Similiarly, Bernie won Xavier Becerra's almost entirely Hispanic district in LA, while getting annihilated in the mostly white Santa Monica district.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »

Similiarly, Bernie won Xavier Becerra's almost entirely Hispanic district in LA, while getting annihilated in the mostly white Santa Monica district.

How bad was turnout in Becerra's district, I wonder?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 02:22:43 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2017, 02:28:06 AM by ERM64man »

Why did Clinton do far better (even in the districts Sanders won) in districts that have large Hispanic populations than she did in the Five Colleges area? What is the reason Clinton also won CA-47 against Sanders by a wider margin in Orange County than in Los Angeles County (Clinton still won the LA County side of CA-47, albeit more narrowly).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »

I still don't get why you're expecting these areas to be remotely similar to each other. It's like asking about the general election, "Why did Clinton win San Francisco in a landslide, while Trump won rural Nebraska!?"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies