Southern Chamber Debate - OneJ vs. Diptheriadan: Hosted by The Atlasian Update
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:23:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Chamber Debate - OneJ vs. Diptheriadan: Hosted by The Atlasian Update
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southern Chamber Debate - OneJ vs. Diptheriadan: Hosted by The Atlasian Update  (Read 813 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:34:08 PM »

Atlasian Update Presents: The Southern CoD Debate!

Hello and welcome! My name is NeverAgain, editor-in-chief of the (hopefully) revived news source, The Atlasian Update. Tonight, I will be hosting the debate between Mr. OneJ_ and Del. Diptheriadan. The candidates have agreed to the following rules for the debate: Each candidate will respond to each question for 24 hours, and then 2 subsequent periods of 24 hours for rebuttals, followed by a final 24 hour period for closing statements (if we get through any section quicker than 24 hours, which I assume we will, then we will proceed on to the next round). Insulting, Name-Calling, or throwing out too much malarky (Wink) is prohibited, as this is an issue based debate. The candidates have also agreed to the questions/topics asked in this debate, and will abide by these rules throughout this debate. Now, it is my privilege to introduce to you, Mr. OneJ_ from Mississippi and Delegate Diptheriadan from Tennessee.

Candidates, I want to welcome you to this debate.

The First Question goes to both of you regarding the stubbornly high unemployment rate in the South:  Due to the fact that Unemployment still lingers at 8.2%, above the national average even, what will you, as Delegate, do to help stop this scourge?

The Second Question goes to Delegate Diptheriadan on the issue of gun control:  On January 6th, the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport felt the brunt of what has been described as an "epidemic sweeping the nation", known as domestic gun violence. As Delegate you voted against a measure to allow firearms on college campuses, due to the recent shootings and your opposition to open-carry on college campuses, can you describe what measures you think need to be taken in order to stop the mass shootings that are now so customary in our nation?

The Third Question goes to Mr. OneJ_ on the issue of activity:  The region of Fremont is in crisis, the primary cause of which is inactivity, a weak constitution, and an extremely disputed line of succession. The Federal Government has passed a bill to have a Presidentially assigned committee handle the region and set up a working, and active, government for the region. How do you, as a Southern Delegate, plan to stop a crisis like that from happening in the South? 

The Fourth Question goes to Delegate Diptheriadan on the issue of climate change:  Climate Change is an issue that is facing millions of Atlasians, but affecting many coastal areas, especially the South, in a dramatic and possibly catastrophic way. Many have proposed measures to prevent this, especially by stopping the continued production of coal and other non-environmentally friendly resources. The South is a region which our economy relies so much on these "fossil fuels" for people to be able to make heir livelihoods. How would you, as a Delegate, help protect hundreds of thousands of Southerners job's while also protecting our shores from the deadly effects of climate change.

The Fifth, and final Question goes to Mr. OneJ_ on the issue of race-relations:  In the past year, we saw some of the most heartbreaking deaths of both the luring of police officers to their deaths, and the continued deaths of unarmed African Americans, here in the South. Both of these tragedies have sparked continued tensions between the police force and the African American community. With these tensions on the rise, and protests in the streets, what will you do, as a Delegate, to help end these atrocious deaths.

I will wait for your responses. Thank you.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:04:52 PM »

Good evening everyone. I like to thank Delegate Diptheriadan for requesting this debate, Speaker Never Again for hosting and all spectators!

Question 1: I find that small businesses are one of the many solutions for high unemployment.

There are at least 25 million small businesses in the U.S. and they account from 60 to 80 percent of jobs. Small firms accounted for 63% of the net new jobs created between 1993 and mid-2013 (or 14.3 million of the 22.9 million net new jobs). Since the end of the recession (from mid-2009 to mid-2013), small firms accounted for 60% of the net new jobs.

To me it is extremely important to protect small businesses since they are the spine of our economy.

What ways can we help our small firms prosper? By controlling the debt and expanding capital towards them as well as strengthening oversight and penalties when large companies are trying to stiff smaller ones.
diptheriadan

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:30:39 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2017, 10:37:06 AM by Del. diptheriadan »

Thank You, OneJ_, for accepting and thank you, Speaker NeverAgain, for moderating.

Question 1: A common argument that I've heard is that by lowering taxes, it spurs growth. I believe that this is true. But, as the current state of the South shows, that is not the only thing needed in order to spur growth. Right now, the South has no income tax and a 5% corporate tax, and yet, we still have the highest unemployment in the Union. Something is wrong. I think the main reason for this, is that we just don't offer a large amount of services to businesses and people. If elected, I will push for various forms of programs that will increase consumption, save dying businesses, and train both young and old Southerners to be able to compete in an ever changing labor market. 
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 02:08:02 AM »

Question 3: I am well aware of the activity crisis of Fremont and wish there was something better.

I suggest that Atlasia shold be promoted more often by the use of a weekly newspaper to spread throughout all threads and make it engaging as possible. The newspaper could include new laws from each region, the country, pending legislation yet to pass, updates from the president and other high profile posistions.

In fact, I think starting a Reddit community might also beneficial. Reddit has a large community out there and a good number of Redditors visit r/politics. We could do better by attracting them to our site itself and even Atlasia.

Hopefully we can improve the activity of Atlasia this way.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 02:54:59 AM »

As we'll wait for Delegate Diptheriadan's next response, I'll go ahead and answer the fifth and final question.

Question 5: The amount of police brutality that we've seen as of recently is nothing to overlook and just brush off.

As a Black person myself, I know that we as a community feel that we are treated unfairly (and in too many cases we have). The number one priority should be cops building up a relationship between them and the community. Once you give the community a sense of trust, it makes them feel safer.

In fact, The Washington Post stated that a police officer spends 60 hours learning how to handle a gun. But guess how much time they spend learning how to de-escalate tense situations, or properly handle the mentally ill? Eight hours apiece, according to the Police Executive Research Forum. That's a major problem.

Communities should also collect data and send it to the citizens so that it will be easier to reach out to, allowing the community to have a voice, and decrease racial (or any other type) of profiling.

Thank you everyone for time! I really do appreciate it.
diptheriadan

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 11:09:18 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2017, 01:25:26 PM by Del. diptheriadan »

Question 2: Before I begin, I would like to state the my reason for not voting for the Campus Carry Act was not that I thought  that it would increase crime, but rather that it would be ineffective at reducing the crime rate on campuses and that it would infringe on the rights of private universities.

To put it simply, gun control generally has no impact on the crime rate within an area. There are some countries with relaxed gun laws with high crime rates. There are also countries with relaxed gun laws with low crime rates. It simply doesn't matter what the gun laws are within an area.

What does matter though, is a combination of poverty, a lack of an identity, and general disregard for mental health care. I would like to look to look at homicides and terrorists attacks. Homicides are generally committed by gang members. The question we must ask is, why are young Atlasians turning to gangs? To answer this question, I went into multiple inner cities within the South and interviewed multiple individuals who are either a member of a gang, or affiliated in some sort with gangs. Many of these young men's fathers either abandoned them or were simply killed. Because of this, many of them grew up without a fatherly role model. They simply lacked an identity. They lacked the ability to say that they were apart of something bigger than themselves. They never has someone to teach them how to be men. As they grew up, they saw many of these gangs and looked up to them as the missing role model that would normally be reserved for a father or an older brother. Along with this, being a member of a gang and engaging in illegal acts was the only form of employment. The problem that faces many of these young men, is the same problem that affects most of us. They want an identity. They want a job. They want to be apart of something. To combat this, as a delegate, I will push for some form of subsidy for institutions in gang ridden areas that would give these people food, shelter, and a community. Be it a church, a mosque, a private business, or a local Black Lives Matter chapter. I will make no judgement upon them. If they can help these people, but need assistance, I will be there. Along with this, I think we need to give more funding to education in our budget. The only way in which we can make a long lasting change is through children. By teaching these people that they can go to the moon and stars if they want too, if we can teach them that crime is not the solution, if we give them hope for a better future, then, and only then, will we finally have broken the cycle of poverty.

Terrorism is not too different. Often, and you can fact-check this, often the people who commit terrorism are ideologues. Specially, radical jihadist ideologues. This isn't to say that all Muslims, or even a few Muslims, believe in terrorism. But within the Koran, like the Bible, like the Torah, and like many other Holy Books published many centuries ago, it contains material that is not suited for our modern laws. Like Christians, many Muslims recognize that these laws shouldn't be followed and they will end it there. Some don't. If you look at the people who don't and learn about them and their lives, you'll notice a pattern. Many of these people grew up in horrible, unstable conditions in the Middle East or here at home. Like many gang members, they searched for a livelihood. They searched for a home. People such as Osama Bin Laden and Abu Musab al-Zarqawi noticed this, and they used it to their advantage. They gave these people what they were searching for. Sadly, this home was Radical Jihadism. Many of these terrorists groups have tailored made their propaganda to allow these people to self-radicalize. Like for the problem concerning gangs, I will push for increased education, increased funding to community institutions, and along with this, increased focus on mental health care and research.

I would like to end this by stating that the root of all radicalism, is the longing for an identity. These issues do not just affect those that are downtrodden, but also those that have a comfortable lifestyle. We all go through a period in our lives similar to the ones described above. We want something bigger. Many times, we grow out of it. For these people, they don't. I believe that the only way in which we can truly help these people is by helping them become Atlasians. To be an Atlasian, you don't just have to be born here. You don't even have to embrace our national values. But you must love Atlasia and see it and yourselves as one in the same. I think that, even with increased mental health funding, a better education, or a good wage, these problems will persist. The only way in which we can alleviate these problems is by being Atlasians. When you're fellow Atlasian is hurt and suffering, help them.
diptheriadan

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 09:21:48 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2017, 11:09:25 PM by Del. diptheriadan »

Question 4: The simple fact is, is that our battle to fight climate change is going to be hard fought, it will involve making many handshakes with many devils, and we will have to be patient.

Everything, be it bread, water, a stove, or a car involves oil in at least one step in it’s creation. If we suddenly regulate or tax oil companies, they will be forced to raise prices, and with that, the price of everything increases. Including the materials necessary to make clean energy. The only way in which we can, at this point, create cleaner forms of fuel, is by increasing the production of, and thereby lowering the price of oil. We can, and we have done this before. Generally, the way we do this, is by lower taxes and regulations. Along with lower the cost of oil, this will likely increase the amount of consumption within the economy and increase the amount of tax revenue we receive. Along with this, I think that we must do everything we can to nurture the clean energy industry. As time goes along, the industry will grow and eventually we will reach a point where investing in oil isn’t as profitable as investing in green energy, at which point we will slowly phase out the benefits given to green energy companies.

To summarize, the only way we can make a transition to green energy is by lowering the cost of the materials necessary to make them. Because oil is one of the most important industry within Atlasia, I propose we try to increase the production of oil. This will lower the price of oil, along with most things in the economy. Along with this, I propose we nurture the green energy industry. At some point in the future, investors will start to invest in the clean energy industry.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 12:20:37 AM »

Okay, I will let the candidates take this time to rebut each other's statements.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »

Honestly, I don't have anything to rebut Delegate Diptheriadan on anything really. Good debate.
diptheriadan

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 06:33:33 PM »

Honestly, I don't have anything to rebut Delegate Diptheriadan on anything really. Good debate.

Neither do It. Thank you both for participating.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies