The FDA and vaping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:53:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The FDA and vaping
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The FDA and vaping  (Read 368 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:44 PM »

link-FDA
You must be logged in to read this quote.
So the FDA has made it illegal for the sellers of vape devices to claim they are to help you quit smoking.  Their reasoning is the FDA has "rules" over things that can be used to treat diseases.  But smoking isn't a disease you say, well, I'll let them explain.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well howa'bout that.  So if a thing is used to help you get healthy, according to the FDA, they should be able to regulate it.  That app that tells you how far you've ran?  Jogging shoes?  Motivational poster?

The FDA is telling us is that they don't want us to know vaping is a healthier alternative to actual smoking (which it is) and doing it for specious reasons.  Thanks FDA, great job
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »

The FDA needs to be shut down for its outright lies and propoganda.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 02:23:13 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2017, 02:27:39 AM by Bacon! 🔥 »

I agree with Averroes that the FDA is terrible at many things and I don't want vaping to be regulated but I honestly understand their logic here

1. they have a legal mandate to regulate consumable products that claim to treat diseases and require such statements be veritably accurate and ensure they are specific enough to not contravene regulations through implications or vagueness of claims

2. honestly substance addition *is* a disease in and of itself whether that's technically true by the FDA's guidelines or not, but besides that, cigarette use is so intensely associated with so many deadly diseases that cigarette addiction is virtually synonymous with "will probably develop a severe lung condition and/or some type of cancer" to the extent that "quit smoking" is effectively literally shorthand for "no longer dying of cancer hopefully"

3. honestly the jury is still out on a lot of the long-term effects that regular and frequent vaping might have on the body.

4. I've personally seen people switch back and for between vape and cig, and even a couple of people who became regular smokers only after getting into vaping, so the relationship isn't as cut and dry as "vaping stops you from smoking"

5. at the end of the day who even gives a sh what the FDA puts in the fine print or whether they allow specific phrases to be used in advertisement when its benefits as an anti-smoking tool has spread everywhere through word of mouth anyway

6. its not like they're implying literally any ability to regulate vaping on its own, just whether a specific claim about vaping referencing another substance regulated by the FDA is permissible in the context of commercial claims made referencing that substance
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »

1.smoking isn't a disease
2.smoking still isn't a disease, and neither is "addiction"...i understand some people want to change the definition, well, good luck I guess.
3.really, you really think vaping might be as bad as smoking? 'cause that's the only thing that matters here
5.you don't care that private entities can't make a factual claim because of this?  k, that's weird, surely you understand that other people might not like it?
6.yep, that's what they're doing, not sure why it needed to be pointed out again
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:06:52 AM »

My understanding is that the FDAs authority to regulate nicotine came from a 2009 law on the argument that nicotine is a drug and cigarettes are drug delivery devices rather than that smoking is a disease and the FDA has some ultra broad "protect the public health" mandate. This is definitely short sighted regulation by the FDA but the real culprit is the 2009 law.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:22:25 PM »

1.smoking isn't a disease
2.smoking still isn't a disease, and neither is "addiction"...i understand some people want to change the definition, well, good luck I guess.
3.really, you really think vaping might be as bad as smoking? 'cause that's the only thing that matters here
5.you don't care that private entities can't make a factual claim because of this?  k, that's weird, surely you understand that other people might not like it?
6.yep, that's what they're doing, not sure why it needed to be pointed out again

If you're going to crudely dismiss and blatantly misinterpret everything I'm saying then I don't really see the point in continuing this conversation, thanks.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »

If it doesnt give cancer, then whats the issue??
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »

The FDA is the reason I've had to buy ten vaporizers in the last four months because they break down constantly (thanks, JAI-NUH) and can't be returned because 'muh tobacco laws.'  As far as I'm concerned, they can go pound sand.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies