What if the Democrats moderated on abortion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:54:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What if the Democrats moderated on abortion?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: What if the Democrats moderated on abortion?  (Read 4558 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 10:58:37 PM »

If the Democrats moderated on abortion, I'd seriously consider changing parties.

Then just do it now and help them take the first step.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 11:01:04 PM »

If the Democrats moderated on abortion, I'd seriously consider changing parties.

Roll Eyes
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 11:07:44 PM »

I would think that you of all people would want Inks to remain a Republican. Tongue
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 11:09:59 PM »

Why should they take this extremist stand? Nationally Dems have more support, much more support for their pro-choice positions that GOP has. And with more people coming in, this will be a dead issue in 10-15 years as will gay marriage will be, marijuana will be legal - The GOP after 20 years will struggle to win a Presidency unless they come over to the right side.

Having said that people don't vote for you solely because of abortion or gay rights, you have to have a strong economic message.

But there is no way they would go backwards & take this disaster of a stand.

Hilarious. Abortion is among the few issues that have remained absolutely stagnant, Even as social liberals win on most other issues.

It will change as the % of religious nutjobs fall - Give another 20 years & then we'll talk - This will be a dead issue like in most European countries!

Charming.

And somehow Dems wonder how they only get 18% of the white Evangelical vote.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »

What if the Republicans moderated on the economy and supported nationalising banks/ industry and wealth confiscation?

What if Libertarians moderated on foreign policy and supported sending NATO troops to Ukraine and bombing Iran?
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 04:39:34 AM »

I am very pro life but the suggestions in the OP are not really moderate positions.

I would however be very glad if the democrats moderated on the issue as it would make me go from slightly lean D to likely D.

Moderate could begin with something widely accepted, support of partial birth abortion bans or really a an after a perios the child can survive outsise the womb.

On the flip side I would like the GOP to also support birth control and non abortion related family planning more.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »

I would think that you of all people would want Inks to remain a Republican. Tongue

Unless I'm misunderstanding him, he more or less insinuated the major roadblock to him becoming a Democrat is the abortion issue, which leads me to believe his non-abortion views are left-of-center?  As someone who wants the GOP to be a big tent party on the issue of abortion (I'd prefer we remain clearly pro-life but tolerate candidates who feel differently and DEFINITELY support moderate measures like exceptions for life of the mother, rape, incest, etc.), I am not a fan of such a presence in our party, as it pretty much drags us left on (what I believe to be) the wrong issues.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 11:59:17 AM »

Moderating on abortion as a whole is a terrible idea for Democrats (since it would be seen a betrayal of much of their base), but I would encourage Democrats of the "Personally pro-Life but respects Roe v. Wade" variety to run in offices in the South.

The first thing Dems should be doing is trying to compete in the South again, and the Jon Bel Edwards model suggests that those candidates (but not the nat'l party) need to be personally pro-life and "pro-gun"
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »

Why should they take this extremist stand? Nationally Dems have more support, much more support for their pro-choice positions that GOP has. And with more people coming in, this will be a dead issue in 10-15 years as will gay marriage will be, marijuana will be legal - The GOP after 20 years will struggle to win a Presidency unless they come over to the right side.

Having said that people don't vote for you solely because of abortion or gay rights, you have to have a strong economic message.

Hilarious. Abortion is among the few issues that have remained absolutely stagnant, Even as social liberals win on most other issues.

It will change as the % of religious nutjobs fall - Give another 20 years & then we'll talk - This will be a dead issue like in most European countries!

Charming.

RACISM! Never mind us vindictively targeting nuns and small pizza restaurants.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »

Charming.

If we let a pizza place refuse to serve a gay wedding, America will become a Christian theocracy!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »

Charming.

If we let a pizza place refuse to serve a gay wedding, America will become a Christian theocracy!

Dont they know that by abiding by their religious beliefs they are actually "forcing" their religious beliefs on others. Like how chick fil a forces its religious beliefs on others by not selling them chicken on sunday.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2017, 06:21:01 PM by Virginia »

Once the Democrats become Moderate on abortion they'll be more competitive nationally. Virginia will flip from leaning D to Likely/Safe D. North Carolina will move from a tossup to leaning D. They will start losing voters in safe blue states and a huge ideological shift will take place. Wouldn't be a bad move for Democrats.

Be more competitive nationally? What are you smoking? Democrats won two presidential elections in a row and was followed by a slim GOP win where your guy lost the popular vote by millions and just barely won the state PV in WI/MI/PA/FL, and you're acting like Democrats are not competitive nationally? You think this was a non-competitive election? The GOP has lost the popular vote in 6 of the last 7 presidential elections. If anyone is slipping here, it's you guys.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »

Once the Democrats become Moderate on abortion they'll be more competitive nationally. Virginia will flip from leaning D to Likely/Safe D. North Carolina will move from a tossup to leaning D. They will start losing voters in safe blue states and a huge ideological shift will take place. Wouldn't be a bad move for Democrats.

"Start" being competitive nationally. What are you smoking? Democrats won two presidential elections in a row and was followed by a slim GOP win where your guy lost the popular vote by millions and just barely won the state PV in WI/MI/PA/FL, and you're acting like Democrats are not competitive nationally? You think this was a non-competitive election?
You're interrupting the Social Conservative love fest.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 01:29:28 PM »

This shouldn't be talked about until Roe is actually overruled. It looked really bad last time we lost back-to-back elections when PP said Roe "went too far".

I will also add that post-viability or near-viability abortion bans aren't really "modearate" and heartbeat bills or blanket bans that have exceptions only for self-defense aren't at all moderate., either..

"Start" being competitive nationally. What are you smoking? Democrats won two presidential elections in a row and was followed by a slim GOP win where your guy lost the popular vote by millions and just barely won the state PV in WI/MI/PA/FL, and you're acting like Democrats are not competitive nationally? You think this was a non-competitive election?
You're interrupting the Social Conservative love fest.
Do they think that's a sin?
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 05:12:58 PM »

Do people know what moderate even means? How is a post viability ban not moderate? It pretty much is right in the middle of the extreme democrat view of abortion as a form of birth control and the republican exteme no abortion in any scenario.

Of course moderating doesnt mean you must actually take the full moderate position. It can be just taking a less extreme position than you curremtly have. So an example would be support of partial birth abortion bans. If you maintain an exemption for mothers life their is no reason not to support such a ban really.

People seem to think anything less than a blanket unlimited abortion until the second before birth no questions asked is somehow some kind of extreme social conservative theocratic position. What would be a moderate to the abortion shoild be a form of birth control people anyway? And how is support of a partial birth abortion ban betraying the base? Sure support for a RvW overturn or an actual prolife position would be in opposition to the base but other than nutty extremists who oppose things just to oppose them what votes would be lost with reasonable moderation?

Demoxrats may be too moderate on exobomic issues but they are certainly not remotely moderate on social ones. But the extremists seem to scream "theocracy" when anything short of extreme liberal positions on every and all social issues is proposed.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 05:17:59 PM »

Charming.

yeah instead they spend all their time talking about how immoral homosexuals are going to hell while they vote for a guy who likes to watch prostitutes piss all over each other before grabbing them by the pussy... though only after pressuring his 2nd wife into having an abortion.

The Democrats don't want you.  Stay away.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »

Charming.

yeah instead they spend all their time talking about how immoral homosexuals are going to hell while they vote for a guy who likes to watch prostitutes piss all over each other before grabbing them by the pussy... though only after pressuring his 2nd wife into having an abortion.

The Democrats don't want you.  Stay away.

RFayette's response to my remark wasn't really the one I was hoping for, but to be fair to him I'm actually not sure that he voted for Trump.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »

Moderating on abortion as a whole is a terrible idea for Democrats (since it would be seen a betrayal of much of their base), but I would encourage Democrats of the "Personally pro-Life but respects Roe v. Wade" variety to run in offices in the South.

The first thing Dems should be doing is trying to compete in the South again, and the Jon Bel Edwards model suggests that those candidates (but not the nat'l party) need to be personally pro-life and "pro-gun"

Democrats should be legally pro-life, to run in the south, and more moderate in the mid-west and PA.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »

What is there to moderate on? We believe America should be like the rest of the world: abortion is legal and accepted by society as a fact of life. Someone from England described it to me like this: abortion as a political issue is like defecation: It's real, it happens every day, but we'd rather pretend like it doesn't exist.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »

Unless I'm misunderstanding him, he more or less insinuated the major roadblock to him becoming a Democrat is the abortion issue, which leads me to believe his non-abortion views are left-of-center?  As someone who wants the GOP to be a big tent party on the issue of abortion (I'd prefer we remain clearly pro-life but tolerate candidates who feel differently and DEFINITELY support moderate measures like exceptions for life of the mother, rape, incest, etc.), I am not a fan of such a presence in our party, as it pretty much drags us left on (what I believe to be) the wrong issues.

Unless he's views chzanged fairly recently, which I suppose is possible, Inks is actually pretty conservative. I think he feels alienated from the Republican Party because of Trump and the various shenanigans Congress has pulled during the Obama years, such as last year's Supreme Court vacancy debacle, so the Democrats shifting to left on any major issues would make a party switch tempting. I mean, it's possible I'm wrong and he's shifted to the left, but in that case he need to update his PM score. Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »

Unless he's views chzanged fairly recently, which I suppose is possible, Inks is actually pretty conservative. I think he feels alienated from the Republican Party because of Trump and the various shenanigans Congress has pulled during the Obama years, such as last year's Supreme Court vacancy debacle, so the Democrats shifting to left on any major issues would make a party switch tempting. I mean, it's possible I'm wrong and he's shifted to the left, but in that case he need to update his PM score. Tongue

He was almost as right-wing as ER at point point. Borderline reactionary...but he seemed to moderate a bit over the years.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2017, 11:40:51 PM »

Something like supporting heartbeat bills (~6 weeks gestation) and defunding Planned Parenthood, but not a total ban?  Or, even a total ban with exceptions?  This might be the only way they can win back large swaths of voters.

What you described isn't what the Democratic position on abortion would be if they moderated towards the center, but what the Republican position would be if they moderated towards the center position on abortion.

Moderation for the Democrats would be supporting the 20 week bills, but not going much farther than that.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2017, 11:49:56 PM »

As with "gun rights", so it is with abortion: there is no middle ground The people for guns or against abortion confuse any compromise (like background checks or allowing abortions to save the health of the mother) as a demonic compromise as evil as going completely to the other side. Rules are absolute, and human consequences matter not in the least.

We may soon see much the same on economics. One believes the most absurd, irrational, extreme position or one is damned to Hell. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2017, 12:02:19 AM »

Moderating on this, actually, would be more than sufficient for most purposes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »

As with "gun rights", so it is with abortion: there is no middle ground The people for guns or against abortion confuse any compromise (like background checks or allowing abortions to save the health of the mother) as a demonic compromise as evil as going completely to the other side. Rules are absolute, and human consequences matter not in the least.

We may soon see much the same on economics. One believes the most absurd, irrational, extreme position or one is damned to Hell. 

Excess in defense of being special is no vice!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies