Streep tirade shows Hollywood Elite hypocrisy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:48:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Streep tirade shows Hollywood Elite hypocrisy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Streep tirade shows Hollywood Elite hypocrisy  (Read 1579 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
« edited: January 11, 2017, 09:57:47 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Actress Meryl Streep's anti-Trump tirade at the Golden Globes reveals the true hypocrisy of the Hollywood elite, and just how far removed they are from the actual plight of the handicapped and the struggles of the working classes.

Hollywood is willing to touch on the issue of disability without actually inviting any members of the community to partake in the conversation, according to New York Times best-selling author and disability activist Kody Keplinger.

“I couldn’t help rolling my eyes,” Keplinger told The Huffington Post. She’s a co-founder of Disability in KidLit, an online resource regarding the depiction of disability in children’s and young adult literature. “The applause in the room felt almost self-congratulatory.”

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/movies/meryl-streeps-golden-globes-speech-belied-an-inconvenient-truth-about-hollywood/ar-BBy9WxG?li=AAggFp5

JJC

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »

Actress Meryl Streep's anti-Trump tirade at the Golden Globes reveals the true hypocrisy of the Hollywood elite, and just how far removed they are from the actual plight of the handicapped and the struggles of the working classes.

Hollywood is willing to touch on the issue of disability without actually inviting any members of the community to partake in the conversation, according to New York Times best-selling author and disability activist Kody Keplinger.

“I couldn’t help rolling my eyes,” Keplinger told The Huffington Post. She’s a co-founder of Disability in KidLit, an online resource regarding the depiction of disability in children’s and young adult literature. “The applause in the room felt almost self-congratulatory.”

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/movies/meryl-streeps-golden-globes-speech-belied-an-inconvenient-truth-about-hollywood/ar-BBy9WxG?li=AAggFp5

That's the left/hollywood in a nutshell.

"I identify as gender fluid! Admire me for my accomplishment!"
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:29 PM »

I felt the exact same way watching Streep. I say this as somebody who generally likes Streep and should in theory have been receptive to what she was saying. I am not and other disabled people are not fluffers to fellate the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:47 PM »

I felt the exact same way watching Streep. I say this as somebody who generally likes Streep and should in theory have been receptive to what she was saying. I am not and other disabled people are not fluffers to fellate the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »

It does display Hollywood hypocrisy.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:17:36 PM »

I mean, its better then completely ignoring it.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:29:12 PM »

How could you possibly watch her speech and call it a tirade? It was a calm, sober criticism that didn't even call Trump out by name. And I don't know if it makes sense for Trump sympathizers  to criticize the "Hollywood Elite" after electing a billionaire reality TV star. This is such a garbage sentiment.

Obviously we all have work to do when it comes to the inclusion and advancement of the disabled. But I think it's better to acknowledge it and not be a perfect ally than to outright mock members of the community.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:02 PM »

How could you possibly watch her speech and call it a tirade? It was a calm, sober criticism that didn't even call Trump out by name. And I don't know if it makes sense for Trump sympathizers  to criticize the "Hollywood Elite" after electing a billionaire reality TV star. This is such a garbage sentiment.

Obviously we all have work to do when it comes to the inclusion and advancement of the disabled. But I think it's better to acknowledge it and not be a perfect ally than to outright mock members of the community.

Nice post.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:36:27 PM »

JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 12:17:20 AM »

This is spot-on. Streep is right, and critics like Tomi Lahren are wrong.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 12:20:29 AM »

We need to stop treating this with civility. My model of criticism would've left Trump in the dust.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 12:45:44 AM »

The speech was not about disability per se, but about common human decency, a universal theme. Hollywood is definitely elite, incestuous, self-involved and glad-handling (just look at all the awards navel-gazing insider darling La La Land was given at this event), but Streep's speech was good.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 08:11:09 AM »

Would blue avatars even be making a fuss about this had it not gotten under poor little Donald's thin skin? I see they're taking orders from the mother ship now. "If our Dear Leader is offended, we must attack!"

All this stuff that's going on with Russia and he's still engaging in a silly Twitter feud. Sounds like Kellyanne needs to take away his phone again.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »

Nevertheless, Hollywood hypocrisy must be revealed when it happens.

I question how much the 20 million dollar a picture Hollywood elite really care about the plight of the handicapped, or about the strife faced daily by the working classes and the struggling masses.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 09:42:20 PM »

Nevertheless, Hollywood hypocrisy must be revealed when it happens.

I question how much the 20 million dollar a picture Hollywood elite really care about the plight of the handicapped, or about the strife faced daily by the working classes and the struggling masses.
Electing a billionaire was the best idea to expose their hypocrisy.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 11:16:34 AM »

The Trump-cultists' lack of self-awareness is bad enough that it's getting really hard to think of them as human beings, instead of as an army of human-shaped flesh-robots working forthe greater glory of their master.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »

The Trump-cultists' lack of self-awareness is bad enough that it's getting really hard to think of them as human beings, instead of as an army of human-shaped flesh-robots working forthe greater glory of their master.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »

Why is this a news story. "Member of elite clique rallies compatriots for one last battle cry before ironic end." Something like this belongs as an amusing anecdote in a history book of the French or Russian Revolutions. The real worry is that such a display occurred; things can't be looking up (at least for Streep's people).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 12:20:44 PM »

Why is this a news story. "Member of elite clique rallies compatriots for one last battle cry before ironic end." Something like this belongs as an amusing anecdote in a history book of the French or Russian Revolutions. The real worry is that such a display occurred; things can't be looking up (at least for Streep's people).

Nice to see a Trump cultist admit that the appropriate comparisons for their cult leader's ascension are bloody revolutions that put in place destructive dictatorial regimes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »

Nice to see a Trump cultist admit that the appropriate comparisons for their cult leader's ascension are bloody revolutions that put in place destructive dictatorial regimes.

1. Cathcon is not a "T***p cultist".
2. If that's really all you get from the French and Russian revolutions, you have no sense of history.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »

Very few people in Hollywood get $20m for one film.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »

But I doubt even $500,000 a film seems that much different than $20m a film to the average working-class person.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 05:01:04 PM »

But I doubt even $500,000 a film seems that much different than $20m a film to the average working-class person.

True, although you are likely to lose at least $100,000 of that in tax; as well as whatever percentage your 'people' skim off the top.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 12:49:29 PM »

That washed up old hag cares about you, be thankful.  Roll Eyes
kyc0705

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 01:37:26 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2017, 01:41:57 PM by kyc0705 »

Indeed. It's surprising how much the mythical super-huge payday has declined in recent years. You need to be a huge box-office star on a major studio feature. I think one of the trade papers reported that Jennifer Lawrence got upwards of $20M for "Passengers", and that was a pretty rare event.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies