Opinion of Nofap?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:15:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Nofap?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Nofap?
FG

HG

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of Nofap?  (Read 3086 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 10:23:48 PM »

Love it when random people on the internet look up the first Google result and think they know more about halachic debates than I. Hint: you don't.
Then explain why Maimonides was wrong.
Maimonides states that the Tanakh does not ban [male] masturbation, which is true. However, the Talmud, on which Jewish law is largely based, does, and this has also been codified in the Shulchan Aruch which is nowadays almost universally considered to be authoritative.

Give the specific passage.
Pro tip for pros: it's generally a bad idea to lecture someone else on their own religion, especially considering that you're almost certainly not especially knowledgeable of the nuances of it.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 10:37:42 PM »

Love it when random people on the internet look up the first Google result and think they know more about halachic debates than I. Hint: you don't.
He's not, but you're misunderstanding his argument. Maimonides states that the Tanakh does not ban [male] masturbation, which is true. However, the Talmud, on which Jewish law is largely based, does, and this has also been codified in the Shulchan Aruch which is nowadays almost universally considered to be authoritative.

Well that settles it. If I was born Jewish I would 100% guaranteed convert out of it. It should go without saying whether hipster Christianity has any problem with this activity.

(In fact my church seems to consider it an act of empowerment, especially for women)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »

...and for that reason, HG.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 10:46:13 PM »

He's not, but you're misunderstanding his argument. Maimonides states that the Tanakh does not ban [male] masturbation, which is true. However, the Talmud, on which Jewish law is largely based, does, and this has also been codified in the Shulchan Aruch which is nowadays almost universally considered to be authoritative.

Well that settles it. If I was born Jewish I would 100% guaranteed convert out of it. It should go without saying whether hipster Christianity has any problem with this activity.

(In fact my church seems to consider it an act of empowerment, especially for women)
Christ on a f***ing bike.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 10:47:46 PM »

And if your parents were Trey Parker and Matt Stone, you would 100% guaranteed hate South Park?

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »

Roll Eyes
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »

Oh dear
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:13 PM »

Maimonides states that the Tanakh does not ban [male] masturbation, which is true. However, the Talmud, on which Jewish law is largely based, does, and this has also been codified in the Shulchan Aruch which is nowadays almost universally considered to be authoritative.

Give the specific passage.
Pro tip for pros: it's generally a bad idea to lecture someone else on their own religion, especially considering that you're almost certainly not especially knowledgeable of the nuances of it.

Good advice.  It's too bad so many of y'all didn't do that with Evangelicals this election cycle. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 10:56:45 PM »

And if your parents were Trey Parker and Matt Stone, you would 100% guaranteed hate South Park?

If I was born BRTD, I would immediately convert to Mordenism.

All Morden, all the time.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 11:00:05 PM »

I suppose I should clarify that the pastor who said that it's an empowering activity for women and a way to experience God's love is no longer with the church, although not for that, she retired on her own last year and had a huge send off. I doubt any other pastors there now would disagree though.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 11:30:45 PM »

I suppose I should clarify that the pastor who said that it's an empowering activity for women and a way to experience God's love is no longer with the church, although not for that, she retired on her own last year and had a huge send off. I doubt any other pastors there now would disagree though.

Bernini's Teresa is obviously one of the greatest works of art to come out of the Christian religion, but it doesn't really strike me as the sort of thing one can DIY.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 11:48:49 PM »

Ftr Jewish law on female masturbation is much, much more ambiguous than a simple "nofap" to the point where there's no real agreement on whether it's not allowed -- and those who do say it's not allowed also agree that it's much less ~problematic~ than if men do it
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 11:51:10 PM »

Yeah we'll as a male that disqualifies me from ever being Jewish.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 11:52:14 PM »

Ftr Jewish law on female masturbation is much, much more ambiguous than a simple "nofap" to the point where there's no real agreement on whether it's not allowed -- and those who do say it's not allowed also agree that it's much less ~problematic~ than if men do it

Stricter sexual morality for men than for women? Wow, that's a welcome rarity.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2017, 01:11:03 AM »

HG.  Let's dispel with this fiction that masturbation is somehow unhealthy, abnormal, etc.  Time for Murica to shed its prudish, Puritanical past and join the 21st century.

Because, after all, history definitely moves in a linear and progressive direction and moral acceptability is determined by a popular vote.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2017, 01:57:08 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2017, 02:04:27 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Masturbation is good. Sex is better. People should do as much of both as they want to, and without feeling fear or guilt about it.

This is the platform of my 2020 presidential run.

Masturbation has enriched my life folks.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »

An admirable goal. A good start would be to try to get laid more often.

"Trying to get laid" the way men usually go about it is infinitely more immoral than masturbation.

Well yes, they're not married. Such is beside the point, really, as regards its standing in comparison to self a use.

In order of morality:
1. Utter chastity;
2. Sex, married;
3. Sex, married, but not to each other;
4. Sex, completely unwed;
5. "Self abuse".
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2017, 08:12:18 AM »

An admirable goal. A good start would be to try to get laid more often.

"Trying to get laid" the way men usually go about it is infinitely more immoral than masturbation.

^ I agree with this, trying to get "laid", more than trying to get a meaningful, committed relationship is by in large immoral.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »

3. Sex, married, but not to each other;
4. Sex, completely unwed;

lol